Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I had been following this but the combination of early access + EGS meant that I didn't really want to pick it up until it was closer to completion.

I got a chance at a recent build at PAX this fall though and it was good enough that I snapped it up as soon as it dropped on Steam, completely a blast. I've made three successful escapes - one off the utility of the shield and two using good Cast builds. A crit cast build that lucks out with Chaos boons to increase damage gets incredibly silly - my run against the last boss with a near-perfect setup had me landing 1500 crits with my casts and lasted about 45 seconds. Like any good roguelike finding the right combination of synergies for a build is an excellent feeling.

Game's good and there's a ton of content sneakily hidden to not be immediately apparent even after a couple successful escapes. Alternate bosses! Alternate attack patterns! An entirely new challenge area you need to drop diamonds on a renovation just to unlock!

Final thought: anyone who doesn't give Cerberus pets before each escape is a monster who deserves to remain in Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there a list of the things you get for giving ambrosia (I think that's what it's called) to people? Only got one from beating the boss of the 3rd area (and then went on to beat the game that go) and it was tough enough that I'm not sure when I'll get another.

An important point for drops like this: each boss drop is technically a 1-time reward; but every weapon tracks these rewards separately. So after getting the drop from the first boss using a sword, for example, if you clear the first boss using the shield it will get you the drop again, and so on for all five weapons.

As you've beaten the game then you'll have noticed the Pact of Punishment in front of the starting window that also allows you to refresh rewards; if you've got a full run using a weapon, increasing the heat by 1 point by taking on a challenge resets all the rewards. Increasing the heat to 2 total after a heat 1 clear will do the same, and so on. This is also tracked separately for each weapon.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

One of the lingering issues of run progression I've found is that enemy health goes way up from the third region onwards and way more enemies start with armor as well. Zeus and Dionysus boons can get you up to the third, but then their efficacy drops off a very high cliff. It's fine to make enemies scale, but certain boons just can't keep up even if you invest in them.

You can still make Zeus work sort of through appropriate pom upgrades and buffing the raw attack power but Poison is pretty much a trap as a sole source of damage.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

So what's the strongest combos people have found so far? I still haven't had anything come close to beating the sword with the Ares/Athena duo boon, doom on attack and deflect on dodge. It just demolished everything like nothing else.

So far my best loadout for pure DPS has been something like the following:

1. Artemis cast and double cast arrow boon
2. Chaos boons to give extra casts and cast damage
3. Boon for extra damage when a cast comes out of an enemy
4. Poseidon-spec sword that knocks casts out of an enemy immediately on special

On the last fight a crit cast would hit for 1500 damage. Both phases took under 90 seconds together.

In general I've found if there's a weapon you don't really like to use it's usually quite viable to just jury-rig a cast build within a run that can be effective enough to clear.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Am I missing something, or are most of the bow Daedalus upgrades pretty meh? I've tried several of the attack modifiers, and none stick out to me as that powerful or opening up crazy synergies. The triple shot was especially awkward and disappointing.

Hera bow is pretty cool though.

The upgrade that gives +4 arrows to your special is pretty core to builds that use the second bow type that makes your arrow flurry all home in on whatever was last hit with a regular arrow.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

Meg don't bitch about me using the Mirror of Night when you bring your sisters to every fight we have now

Apparently they patched in dialogue so that if you beat Meg with no mirror buffs active after she talks about this, she will acknowledge it the next time you speak

I tried, but after like four runs of zero darkness I never saw meg as the boss and eventually I cared more about actually clearing some runs than I did proving my skill

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Oh no! I've been blindly choosing terrible boons to clear prophecies this entire run and my fists are absolute, total garbage. Just the worst poo poo ever. I can't do anything with these things. How am I ever going to get out of here?

Just gonna get two perfectly synergistic duo boons right under the wire, I guess. Cast three of these babies at dad when he's standing still in the second phase and the total damage would go up to about 6000. Didn't even get hit once!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

A thing just happened and I have to know

Is this new?

Have I just missed this every single time??

I'm running through Styx like I always do and reach the end of a miniboss path and the following happens:

I run into the final chamber and the music stops.

Zagreus: "are there no enemies?" or something like that.

Camera pans to center. There is a single tiny rat there.

Zagreus: "Haha, oh, it's just a single tiny rat."

Tiny rat snarls and develops a super saiyan aura. Boss music starts.

Zagreus: "Oh gods!!"

A boss health bar appears

Thing had like twice the health of Asterius and powers up at 50% and summons a half dozen giant rat helpers

Haven't seen that before.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

God there's nothing like an incredibly broken build coming together early and then just snowballing into higher, unexplored reaches of absolute nonsense. I give to you the Dash Meta:

I got Tidal dash first room and +3 dashes halfway through Tartarus. Not pictured: Zeus boon on special. Zeus boon to give jolted. Duo boon to make jolted last 10 seconds regardless of enemy attack. 90% of this run was spamming the A button to zip around the rooms obliterating literally everything free from risk. 10% was tapping special once to set up two debuffs. What's an attack button? What's a cast button? Is Dad dead in like 40 seconds???

This was absolutely disgusting. I'll never get anything as wild as this, surely not.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Chiron-aspected Bow is just totally busted if you can get the hammers that give you bonus base damage for consecutive hits and 4 extra arrows on the special. Would've had a 14 minute run if I hadn't gotten an overly long Styx.

Charon Bow is by far my most effective weapon right now. As other people have mentioned, while Hera bow can be very strong it can also be inconsistent - casts that don't do a lot of damage up front aren't great, and certain damage casts like Aphrodite's suffer from missing on hits. If you don't get a good cast, the right cast, it's efficacy drops a lot.

Charon is consistent. The bow special is naturally very powerful and normally balanced by the increased risk of needing to be point-blank to land all the hits for big damage, a downside Charon completely bypasses. Not only does it do very respectable damage but it's multi-hit damage as well which also removes ramp-up on stacking debuffs as they will cap, or nearly cap, on a single special volley. Any attack boon that causes a debuff will work well with a special boon that also causes a debuff for permanent, effortless upkeep of Privileged Status.

I always look for Aphrodite attack first because that's the base for a number of different combos. Get Demeter's special and it's just a solid, boring build that does a billion damage and can clear with those two boons alone and anything else just speeds it up. Aphrodite and Artemis special with their duo boon is silly crit damage. Aphrodite and Dionysus special with their duo boon is silly hangover damage. Hey, doesn't Aphrodite also have a boon that makes Weakened targets take more damage too? And with this bow every thing you hit is going to be Weakened right before the special arrows gently caress it up? Fancy that!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Party Boat posted:

This is what the wiki has. I like how they've phrased it:

If I realize mid-run that I didn't pet Cerberus for luck before starting out I immediately reset the run, because gently caress escape, some things are actually important

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

RNG lol, you'll see them again eventually

It took me forever but this is finally it, the one complaint I have about Hades, RNG quest progression.

I got Achilles' quest up to the point where Nyx needs to give me the location for his contract. Since that point I have done the following:

1. Escaped for the first time
2. Seen the credits
3. Unlocked every other quest
4. Completed every other quest, including when Nyx gives me the contract locations where necessary.
5. Unlocked three fated weapon variants
6. Maxed bond on half the cast and collected all other companions

It's been like 20 hours and still nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

Looks like someone is making an Asgardian rip-off just in case you enjoyed Hades gameplay but wanted really bad music to go with it.

You know you've made it big when someone is blatantly ripping off your game design for a quick buck from mobile p2w garbage