Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I was having a decent enough time with the Captain America shield. Useful directional block, passable melee attack, situationally good throw.

Then I unlocked the Rail. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Broken Cog posted:

Is there anything to use darkness on after you've unlocked everything in the mirror?

You can sometimes buy stuff from the lounge merchant with it, yeah?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I already know I want as much DLC as possible.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Eraflure posted:

Pick up the poseidon sword/hera bow and start with the artemis trinket, enjoy your free win

Some really good trinkets:

Trinkets are really strong and well worth your time (well maybe not Sisyphus). Purchase the trinket swapping thingy asap and get in the habit of swapping them through the run.

i'm a big fan of all cosmic egg all the time

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Got my first full clear with, to my surprise, sword rather than rail (or shield). Very synergistic athena-ares pile, with a buncha Dash Attack and Attack buffs from Master Chaos.

still got down to 25hp on my last life against the final boss before getting full stacks on the Zeus Button to finish the job

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

to my surprise, I got my first win with the sword, not my trusty rail, on a run where I picked some stuff to unlock prophecy but wound up getting some Very Good chaos boon synergy and settling into an Ares-Athena pile

I'm sure pulling deflect-on-dash helped, that's imo the single best of the deflect options unless you're running, like, infinite-ammo Rail.

Still had 25hp left on my last life when I hit the Zeus Button to win.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

turns out that when literally everyone said Hera Bow was good, they were right

got one hit from killing the final boss :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It's weird, as I've gitten gud less bad the Stygian Rail has gone from firmly my favorite weapon to probably my least favorite.

I might be approaching done-for-now until the next content patch; got a win on at least heat 1 with all weapons and heat 3 with sword.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

those damage fields track with enemy movement, so if you get a lot of little zippy enemies then yeah, you're in for a bad time

conversely, if he summons a few big beefy dudes, his wrath is hardly more dangerous than a regular room

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ILL Machina posted:

Same thing will happen with that fight, don't worry.

You can kite the minotaur around the outside, dashing through his leaps and backstabbing, using the pillars to block the spear throws. Blink through a pillar to counter his charge. I don't change much in his second phase, just avoid the waves if you can.

The trick to thesius is that he turns his back on you after every throw. When the second-phase god aoes happen it's nice if you have a strong ranged special or cast to toss out while you're dashing around, but just try to get a combo or two in between spear throws and it'll be over eventually. You might not have noticed, but a thin white circle around the enemy signals their pbaoe. When you see it, it's usually good to blink through to behind them to dodge dash attacks.

also the start of Theseus phase 2 is the ideal time to lob a cast into his face (and optionally 2 status effects if you got em) and fire your maxed-out call that you didn't really need for the bull

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

I really like how all of the antagonists have this listless, ennuied distaste for you, since they're all immortal being who can't actually change anything. It's a refreshing change from the usual cartoonishly evil video game villains.

except Theseus, who is frankly not the sharpest spear in the rack

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ILL Machina posted:

It procs off each arrow in the special though so it's a decent dps buff. And it can reapply doom or poison or weak or whatever too, I think.

Are you sure about the special? Coulda sworn it didn't but maybe it's another buff I was expecting multiprocs from.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

thewizardofshoe posted:

Just did a run where I got Hunter's Dash(+100% dash damage) from Artemis in the entrance room, then never got offered an actual damaging Dash boon again for the rest of the run. That'll teach me to have faith in RNG in my favor.

hunter's dash is a dash boon, it takes the slot iirc

(i believe it buffs dash attack)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kill All Cops posted:

My upgraded Zag spear has gotten me more clears than the sword or shield, mostly since I pick the hold X to auto attack hammer boon and end up pairing it with something amazing like deflect and/or chain lightning

I have exactly one (1) spear clear that didn't get the rapid strike boon, and frankly hitting a billion times and/or dashing around like a maniac is basically my strategy on basically anything that isn't the hera bow.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 9, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Holy gently caress I cannot handle Tisiphone at all. And the fourth boss kicks my rear end for some absolutely bizarre reason, what exactly is happening in that fight?

Is there a boss practice mode?

i wish, that's the hardest thing about the endboss - it takes 20-30 minutes to get to it so it's going to take you A WHILE to learn the patterns to any meaningful degree

your spoilerboss you mostly want to Keep Dodging Forever (incidentally the correct strat in many situations), she doesn't really have any terribly complicated moves

Dietrich posted:

Finally beat the game. I can crush wizard of legend every time and this one gave me a run for the money for 3 days.

i'm broadly terrible at this game / any game involving rapid response time but the learning curve is actually, well, learnable

with the exception of the complaint above

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Game is noticeably but not overwhelmingly harder due to the tweaks. Grandma is very cool :haw: and the new spear seems interesting when I finally get the bloods for it.

And pops has instituted his most evil, vicious oppression yet: a fishing minigame.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

It's definitely just a little harder.

Shops are more expensive. Boons went from 150 to 200 and Hammers went from 200 to 250, which is more than it sounds on paper. There's definitely a reason to skip shops if you're not desperate for an upgrade now.

also indirectly makes the purple cauldron shops that much more appealing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BaconCopter posted:

^^^I haven't had an opportunity to use Rare Crop, it showed up from a Demeter orb right before the Hades fight :saddowns:

this this this this! It's so much better, great job devs :)

Demeter seems like a great addition, even if you only tip your toe in to get the wave on Cast, her Chill ability is top notch.

if you can max out chill it's SUBSTANTIALLY better than pre-nerf Weak

forty danged percent reduction in opponent dps, AND makes it that much easier to dodge

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Do knockback builds work on the bosses? It's kind of hard to tell amid the chaos. I beat dad with one the other night, but it was a very near thing, couldn't tell if I was getting the full damage.

Rupture happens, knockback doesn't.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Okay I'm sorry, but Hades is some loving bullshit. He hits like a truck and throws out all sorts of unavoidable crap that either hits like a truck or makes stuff hit like ten trucks. I'm starting to really hate this game.

none of it is unavoidable

the Bad Things you're probably referencing are a circle of murder produced by him or skulls that tick down (dodge through it), the pots (hit them from range or avoid them), or him beaning you in the face with a thrown skull (uh, don't stand near him after he's cooled down from an attack, then dodge it / Always Be Dodging)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

reduced boons makes me sad

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah, Aid boons are the Calls. Early on you're usually looking for attack and special boosters, worrying about Calls around boss time (if at all).

oh that's good then okay

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I constantly forget to use Bouldy, rip the bucket of ambrosia I dumped into maxxing him

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

Can anyone recommend good gods/hammer choices for the sword on low heat? I've had a few bad runs/bad choices and it isn't really doing much for me right now.

I'm a gigantic fan of hold button to spam attack hammer options on any weapon that offers it and sword is no exception. Making it fire a wave or have a better dash attack are also good, armor destruction is fine but doesn't do an awful lot on the final boss.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Slightly incorrect? I think you need to get heat 0 with a weapon before you can go on to heat 1, etc.

Heat is specific to each weapon, so you could have heat 5 on your shield, but only heat 1 on your spear.

heat 1 is a funny exception iirc, I remember going back and clearing the final boss on 0 after a couple heats on the weapons i was worse with

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Russian Remoulade posted:

Aside from the Chiron Bow and the Chaos shield, what other aspects don't really come into their own without blood investment?

the normal rail :v:

but it only really needs like 2 blood, past that the returns fall off

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I consistently forget to use Bouldy. :saddowns:

probably makes a substantial dent in my winrate

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sword hidden aspect sucks imo

its big thing is dropping a stationary damage resist area when you want to be dashing everywhere

and I'm not convinced dash attacks with it work correctly

oh well, made it to the surface and I never have to touch that garbage again

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

Use it vs skelly and compare the damage to other weapons. The dash is different - you can dash in between slashes but you can't cancel them as effectively. The idea of the weapon is you really want to get your third slash off because it does absolutely ridiculous DPS - it deals 10 times as much damage as a normal sword hit.

I don't trust it for high high heat but it's pretty fun and different at lower heats.

huh, it's possible i dash too much to get the third slash lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

well why not posted:

I'm yet to get a clear with the sword, shield or fists. What are the recommended go-tos for the close range set of weapons? Poseidon / Dio everything?

another example of "everyone has different weapons they like" because the fists are my favorite weapon lol

any god that gives an attack boon that benefits from rapid strikes owns for fists, you can get a clear with Poseidon Sword by just going Maximum Cast, for which Artemis is a good pick

if you feel lazy enough a clear with shield is trivial because you can totally no-sell any attacks from the direction you're pointing when charging up bull rush, or if you have my sort of playstyle it benefits from dash attacks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Now that I’ve beat the final boss twice, I think I’m just gonna turn on godmode to squeeze the rest of the content out. I’m never gonna be someone that gets 100+ clears in this game, but I’m excited to see the rest of the story content.

There's more content than you think, dad! More content than you think!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

Just want to pop in and say I'm a Bouldy Bro.

buying a bouldy charge from a charon well is functionally 10g which is a great deal for the damage and life

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

fool of sound posted:

four of the companions are pretty solid (meg, than, skelly, bouldy), but i find that I have to remind myself to actually use all my casts in any given run. I guess Dusa is usable if you're running a lot of options that make elites nasty. i just can't even think of a situation where i would prefer achilles. maybe in a theoretical game where i have to fight the heroes five times in a row or something.

They added a little notification at some point saying "remember you have this button!" in some of the fights where you might expect to use them.

also bouldy is easily my favorite because while it's a bit lighter on the damage, it's great healing and also gives you cash

if you're running bouldy always 100% of the time buy the +1 use from charon wells, it's functionally 10g

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

why not em3? is Beefy Cow just too much trouble?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Quebec Bagnet posted:

A few runs ago Zag started correcting her "no, my name is Zagreus. Can you say that? Zag-re-us." She eventually progressed to "murrrrderrrzurrrrr" and on my most recent run she managed "zrrr...gree....eeeehhrrrs"

Alecto, in addition to being generally mad, gets really mad about your shenanigans here, lol. I love this game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

raditts posted:

Just a day later and I've gone from barely squeezing out a win to completely embarrassing Hades with every weapon, with three of the wins being in a row. The last one was with the bow, flurry attack with Artemis crits, and the upgrade that shoots two arrows at the same time. Just completely shredded him. :feelsgood:

The bosses all get pretty easy once you know what their tells are, but Hades still catches me off guard every so often when he summons his little rear end in a top hat buddies and chucks a green skull in my face unexpectedly.

How many runs do I have to win before I get to the end of the main storyline? I'm sure I'll be playing plenty more to unlock everything, but I just want an idea of when I can feel "done" enough to move on to a new game and come back to this later since I've been playing it for a week straight. I haven't even unlocked any companions yet, whatever those are.

There are, more or less, two endings. You'll know when you get to the first one, and it is sufficiently satisfying. I want to say ten?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

ABC
Always
Be
Cdashing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:five: