Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just posting to say I got my first clear after thirty four runs. I kinda got lucky with Chaos boons but I still only burnt through two Death Defiances at the final boss so I guess I got better. All these Heat options feel like I unlocked the real game now, almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Made it to Hades for the first time on my ~15th run and thought I just barely got him, but then of course he had a second healthbar, loving lol :negative:. Was using the zeus chain lightning attack with the spear with flurry jab, so a lot of rooms even near the end I was able to just hold down attack and clear in seconds. I feel like I got very lucky with boons and don't expect to make it back to hades any time soon.

It’s hard to believe but there are a ton of builds that just delete encounters, it’s why the game tries shoving different options in your face with the Prophecies. Plus you can always try to replicate it by wearing Zeus’ keepsake with the spear again!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fool of sound posted:

Just wrapped up maxing out all the weapon aspects and honestly it's the only part of the advancement I kinda resent. A bunch of aspects just... don't function correctly until you've got a few levels into them, or even maxed then out, and it takes a painfully long time to accumulate all the blood you need.

Yeah I gotta agree on this, I got the credits and yeah I’ll probably keep playing for a good long while, but between having to level aspects enough for the hidden ones to open up and having aspects that are just kinda lame at base like the homing arrow one it’s kind of a bummer that just doing the main “campaign” only lets you see so much in that regard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I think I just expected to die for the first like thirty runs because I was burning through prophecies but I’m glad something like that exists so that you you’re not just going with the “best” options forever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I can see like, six(?) extra uppercuts flying out when you max it being OP as poo poo, but it’s definitely no Aspect of Hestia at base...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I didn’t cause it didn’t feel right but I wouldn’t begrudge anyone who did, cause I’m pretty sure Zagreus dumps more Ambrosia into her than half the cast combined. As he should.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jables88 posted:

Just a few runs in so far and loving it. One question however, I don't see how Cast is ever useful? It feels like it's no stronger than my (for example) power shot with the Bow and I don't see why I'd want to dump boons into an ability that is so limited in charges. Can anyone open my eyes as I'm sure that in a game as well designed as this it's me missing something.

Most casts are generally your most consistent source of crowd control, and ranged damage which has its uses. Also it depends on what cast you’ve gotten; Aphrodite’s is generally considered pretty dire, but Dionysus’s is pretty insanely good early on since it hits an area AND stuns any unarmored enemy so they’re basically sitting ducks.

Additionally, once you level enough, you get perks that give more casts or let your cast charge regenerate without picking up the stones.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also it gets pretty goddamn stupid with crits since its base damage is Excalibur-level, so once you have Artemis on attack with crit stacking stuff enemies kinda just melt with something like the hammer boon that makes the power shot stronger and easier to execute.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You’ll eventually get to the point where it’s super easy to read enemies like Theseus (hint: he wastes time walking back pretty much entirely to expose himself to you after a spear throw), probably sooner then a lot of people since idk if I was even clearing Asphodel by then.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

So, I just unlocked the Aspect of Guan Yu.

Why did Supergiant make the very first hidden aspect you unlock super janky?

Tbf it’s probably less jank maxed out and it’s not the only weapon that needs to be maxed to function even if it’s the most egregious, but yeah. I initially assumed it was a tradeoff for the base damage increase but then I unlocked the bow/sword/fist hidden aspects so idk. Maybe one of the team found a super cheese strat with it and balanced accordingly?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So is this a safe space to talk about other Supergiant games? Cause I finished Transistor. Well kinda, I guess I need to go through again on NG+ to max out level for the sweet sweet lore.

It’s cool seeing all these ideas that eventually make their way to Hades but refined, like how the special moves can have side effects added to them and some effects are terrible but some are pretty busted and you have the lore stuff to make you at least try different stuff instead of just going ham with the basic move modded to do more damage and work when charging like the Prophecies do there. It’s cool that the NG+ seems like a second campaign gameplay-wise too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Eh, Hades is definitely the more fun thing to play but if Red controlled like Zagreus there’d be no point in the time stop mechanic which is a neat little thing in its own right. If Supergiant released this after Hades I’d definitely feel a certain way but it’s kind of like playing the older, clunkier but still solid entry in a long running series after starting at the more modern games and seeing all the cool stuff they were doing right even then.

But yeah, idk if I want a “godlike rougelike” from their next entry exactly but something like Hades really capitalized on a lot of their strengths more than their other stuff I’ve played (Bastion along with Transistor) since it lets them reuse assets but keep the gameplay largely fresh and shove like a million hours of dialogue into the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

i have remained almost totally unspoiled on the game and i've been trying to progress without looking up any kind of spoilers or speed runs or whatever but i'm starting to get a little frustrated. i tend to play the game while stoned (i have a serious arm injury so playing games is kinda painful but i'm not super mechanically impacted, just, you know, high)

i don't know the spoilers situation here so this is just end boss talk
i got my first hades kill on run 36 with the chaos shield, and i think i am in the mid 40s now and consistently getting there, although sometimes i have trouble with the satyrs on a lot of more melee or close range oriented builds, but that zone is just irritating. my problem is i keep getting to hades and then i find that the style i've been using to get there is apparently now totally useless. i've been trying to branch out and playing more special and cast oriented builds, and i tend to favor dionysus because i like festive fog the most of the casts. this past run i was using the exagryph with the bonus if you're in your special when it detonates, and the hammer form that lets you quickly shoot three specials, with dionysus special boost. problem is i get to hades and i don't know if i'm not accustomed to his tells in the fight or what but i just absolutely couldn't keep him inside my Q. i got about halfway down the second form but once the lasers start flying even with athena dash i just felt like i couldn't take the time to try and hit him and also dodge stuff.

so i guess does anyone have any feedback for me?

Personally I’ve found that any non-Zeus build that can carry you to the final boss can handle Hades almost as well. The main issue is that he hits like a loving truck so you’re punished super hard for not getting the tells, and that he’s easy to whale on once you can feel out when he’s gonna do his big moves and punish afterwards, but reacting just by instinct is a bitch. Gunning for the +1 dash boon of Hermès is a huge game changer in that regard. Probably the most helpful of all is either the keepsakes of Euredyce (nosells up to the first five times you get hit) or Patroclus (brief invincibility after getting hit, it has a cool down but it’s still good).

For part 2 he has a noticeable windup for the laser, so run behind one of the rocks as soon as that happens or in his face for the blind spot right next to him. And with the saytrs cover is pretty helpful too, and staying calm if you do get poisoned and hitting up a fountain ASAP.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What's wrong with Zeus? Poseidon is worse surely if it's knockback based splash damage.

Nothing’s wrong with it, exactly, it’s more that you can just make mobs melt when you go all in on him but it’s weaker on a single guy so I didn’t wanna say a Zeus build could carry the same way going scorched earth with triple Demeter bombs that slow the enemy down so you can Bomb them better can. But honestly I forgot about Poseidon, not gonna lie. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol that some of y’all think Hypnos is casting shade and not 100% giving what he thinks is genuinely good advice to his buddy Zag.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

It would probably land better if they didn't repeat it with Nyx telling Meg it's her job to put up with her terrible sisters forever because they're family.

Alecto is a bit much but since she mostly only interacts with you it’s not hard to believe that she doesn’t poo poo on everyone 24/7 for existing, and Tisiphone is just plain crazy. Plus I think that advice comes from a personal perspective since she’s estranged from her progenitor and all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Is there anything storywise after reuniting the family at the dinner party? Also I think I missed why zag is still escaping even though the semi truth is out in the open to everyone now?

the explanation is that Zagreus escaping so much is exposing flaws in the security so it’s his official job after the credits to keep prodding away in an official capacity. Idk why the gods are still booming him up to help with that though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

You canonically have to shower them with nectar and ambrosia to get to that point, so they're pretty chuffed with him. Dionysus is really the only other god with easy access to it and it's not like he's going to just throw them at his family like Zag has.

i was kinda joking, but tbh it does feel a little silly in the context that the gods besides Hermès (since he’s actually physically there) are basically just still having one way conversations with him instead of just visiting their bro from time to time. It makes sense in the context of providing moral support to help him escape from his mean old curmudgeonly dad but at this point since things are better with Hades too just visit.

poo poo, it would actually be a pretty fun gameplay twist if the gods started treating boons as a part time job, tbh.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cosmin posted:

if a boon shows up and you don't take it, it doesn't show up in that run again - correct?

Nah, there should always be a chance to see that god later, the only exception being that if you fill up on the natural maximum of four boons by declining God B and then filling up later with Gods A C D and E. If you decline boons late enough like late Elysium then you might not get the chance to be offered one again without buying it though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Its Chocolate posted:

how do you get Dusa back when she's fired

more dialogue, specifically with Than, Meg and Nyx, maybe Achilles too. most of the others don’t peace out often but you might wanna get beat down a lot for Thanatos to show up

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So I started a new game on Hell Mode, cause this game is fun as poo poo and all, kinda readied myself to have about twenty or thirty failed runs to build my meta progression stats (mirror, aspects, etc) to make up the Hell Mode difference and won on I think my fifth or sixth try. I got lucky with a few things, like +70 HP earlier on from Chaos on top of the base level Cerberus keepsake, an epic Greatest Haste, and probably the most important thing for randoms, the hammer boon to hit more targets first with the special, which really helps on a Doom build.

But I probably would have gotten annihilated with that build by Lernie on my first playthrough without Hell Mode’s pacts, so it really speaks to how fair the game is that an early hard mode clear is doable. Game good y’all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Depends on your preferred weapon/style. For the easiest, safest, low investment clear I’d recommend grabbing the bow aspect that converts your cast to an arrow shot, with Dionysus’ cast and the three second spell cooldown mirror option and just go ham melting most things with high damage/stun.

That’s just what’s helped me personally with my easiest runs though. Zeus boons on attack with his shield tend to melt poo poo super hard as well, as does Poseidon sword with Artemis cast/Exit Wounds boon (damage whenever bloodstones are dislodged).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

Man, there is just something about Hades' second stage that just fucks me up.

I can pretty reliably get though the first part at this point by I can just not get the timing of it for the life of me. The lasers will always wreck me before I can get behind a rock or in hug range and for whatever reason I seem to only be about 50/50 on dashing out of his spear spin.

The one time I did manage to beat him was with the rail with the rocket special and a ton of Poseidon and Zeus boons, and even then I finished with only 11 health on my last DD.

It's really annoying given that I seem to have no issues with any of the other bosses at this point.

A lot of people consider the second phase more manageable but that’s after getting used to him, the big thing I’ve found that’s helpful is that since he’s a lot more aggressive you can rely on him going ham with a full combo that ends with the spin and bait it out without getting close till then. Also gunning for Hermès’ +dash boon is a huge help, I find that even one extra dash is enough to dash through the entire thing even with bad/greedy timing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ve been enjoying the shield special a lot lately tbh, it has a lot of synergy with Doom which helps carry you when you’re not even allowed to use titan blood yet.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I had literally every talent maxed out, except the epic boon one, before I realized this. However, I don’t feel like the alternate ones are nearly as good as the regular ones. I think I’ll just start working on getting the Heroic tier boon bonus. I have the rare one maxed out, but that seems pretty worthless now?

Also, holy poo poo at both the damage and the special ability on Arthur. Maybe it was my build with some Artemis Crit but I was hitting for ~1200 on the big rats. I died before Hades though because I was dicking around at the start. I may have to max that one out.

I want the secret gloves, but it’s a pain trying to get to asterius over and over just for that, especially because he’s not guaranteed each run.

Is there a limit to Titan Blood? I’m on Heat 2 and o have none left. Do you just keep upping the heat to get the same rewards as a normal first time run?

The bloodstone alt is almost always gonna be better than the normal option, I could take or leave the others but having a three second cooldown is kinda busted combined with even a single extra stone from Chaos and a good cast.

And yeah, each successful run with a full heat gauge is two titan’s bloods, keep bumping it up for more. There’s not a limit for titan blood insofar as it’s always an option to do the trade chain of gemstones-keys-nectar-crystal-ambrosia-titan’s blood (maybe the last two are in reverse)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think every sword has it built in as a thing, it’s just that you’re not gonna care or notice that it even happens when it’s not the last hit of the hidden weapon swipe.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it’s probably pretty telling that Zagreus starts saying stuff like “oh god no not again” but it’s probably the second hardest boss in the game IMO Charon is probably the hardest for me since part of the challenge is that it’s most optimal to fight him with a mediocre build whereas at least with Tiny Vermin/Hades you’re always gonna have a complete build.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

Eh, I'm really not feeling the Bow. The best I can do with it is to use Hera aspect and make a cast build, load all three shots into it and then nuke whatever is standing in front of me. If I don't have any casts available though it's rather dreadful. Either you're standing still for way too long or you're firing what amounts to an absolutely terrible melee weapon.

I did manage to get my first deathless clear with it on its first outing but that was very much in spite of the weapon and because of a +5 dash and 20% auto-dodge (though I guess forcing a hit-and-run play style did help).

Waiting for the bloodstones to drop sounds kinda dreadful unless you max it out, but luckily you can just roll with the mirror option that gives you one stone on a three-second cooldown.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Once you get used to him phase 2 Hades is honestly easier to deal with because he becomes much more aggressive but still has the post-spin opening and generally gets more predictable. But up until you hit the epilogue that poo poo is not at all trivial to do blind, don’t worry, you already learned how to handle the Real Hades Experience of Elysium, it’s only a matter of time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

webmeister posted:

Dumb question, but how exactly does the God Gauge work? I've done about 10 runs now and made it to the third zone, but it's never really been explained how the God Gauge works - what charges it up etc.

Also, how do I use the Blood things that I've picked up from the level bosses? Is that a "later" thing?

The base God Gauge (so, no boons that affect its buildup) just work on the amount of hits you do to an enemy, not the amount of damage, it becomes really noticeable when you lean into hitting enemies a lot like with the rift blades or with any fast weapon + Zeus on attack. The titan blood starts being usable when you unlock the normal weapons so yeah it’s a later thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be honest I kinda feel like all the big and slow hidden aspects are pretty busted and Excalibur is the weakest of the three; the bow one is slow too but goes far and becomes area of effect, and the gloves are only slow for gloves but even without Maim you get a four hit attack sequence with 60 base damage on each hit and decent area of effect.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lemony posted:

So I'm fairly far in progress wise, main plot basically wrapped up. Go to talk to Sisyphus but get the angle wrong.

Apparently you can talk to Bouldy? How the hell long have I been able to do that? This is like me missing Zag's biggest fan in the arena the first few times, but apparently much more frequently.

I think it’s after he says something along the lines of “you should try talking to Bouldy sometime, he’s a great listener. You can even give him nectars (don’t more than once tho, it just gives a tiny buff for the run).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omobono posted:

Mods?
You're giving your friend a nectar, that's the only reward you should need.
(And you kinda need a lot of nectars on bouldy to advance Sisyphus storyline)

I was speaking from personal experience of dumping a lot on him and thinking I wasted a bunch, glad I’m wrong and I can dump All The Nectars on my friend that I believe in (because he believes in me) on my Hell Mode run. :)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You need like seven more wins to see the credits and end of the “story” but a lot more to finish the epilogue (which itself is meatier than the normal story by a fair amount depending on how good you are). For nectars theres about a half dozen people who give summon items once you’ve progressed enough with them to start getting the option to use Ambrosia, if you consider who a spoiler Megaera, Thanatos, Dusa, Skelly, Achilles/Patroclus, and Sisyphus.

I’d just recommend dumping Nectars on who you like the most though and not sweat it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
lol I never tried it, that’s such a huge dick move to just show you you missed out on even a half decent boon, let alone Merciful End or something. Then again, it is a pact of punishment...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t had any inclination to remap it, which is honestly kinda weird since I absolutely remap the dash in games like Mega Man X to one of the shoulder buttons. I’m also mostly fine with the manual reload button being R3 (or whatever that button is called on the Switch) so I’m probably just a weirdo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s a prophecy unlocked by progressing enough in Skelly’s relationship, he’s probably the first character you’ll max out since he’s the only one who’s always around so you’ll find it easily enough.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think he means more the “drat son, it looked like you got all the way there but I lost reception on the Godtube” dialogue you get sometimes after a clear.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I still can't figure out the sword. I have the excalibur aspect unlocked and I can easily crush everything up to Hades, but he still manages to kill me very quickly every time. I've reached Hades twice with aphrodite main attack and artemis special, athena dash, and heart rend duo. I just can't get down the pattern of smacking him and then getting out of the way before his big attacks, I guess.

I've pretty much worked out a setup that works well for me for every other weapon at this point, although I still need to finish unlocking all of the hidden aspects and powering things up.

Are you specifically smacking him before his attacks or right after, cause there’s a delay after most of his stuff and especially the spin that’s relatively safe. Also I’d say you’re better off with Demeter than Aphrodite; the latter has bigger numbers but it’s Excalibur so lol just mash until your enemies are as slow as you if attack timing is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s pretty great (aesthetically, idk if I’d want to handle EM3 Asterius without a ranged weapon even if Theseus is easier) the first two are natural extensions of their original fights and then fuckin Theseus shows up with his Rambo-rear end outfit and a gilded chariot ready to laugh manically as he mows you down.