Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So I initially wanted to get this game when it came out, but then I saw PartyBug's (abanonded) LP, and changed my mind, because it looked too much like a bullethell, which is a gamestyle I don't enjoy, so I changed my mind.

I have no idea why, but I recently changed my mind (again), and put it on my Steam Wishlist. I just bought it last night, and I've done... I actually don't know how many runs. I do know that I frequently found myself saying, "OK, last run for now," only to start another run after, and thing, "Wait... that was supposed to be the last run. OK, last run for now"...

Game's very good.

So far, I've made it out of Tarterus once, unlocked the Tooth from Skelly and have it Rank 2, got Cerberus' Collar, and I have Rank 1 Heal On Leaving A Chamber, Extra Dash, Rank 1 Deth Defy, and Chance For Infernal Chests. I'm saving up 500 Darkness to get a 2nd Death Defy from the Mirror, and I need 2 (I think?) more keys to unlock the Fists. Any tips for a new player?

Fuzz posted:

It's funny how when I first started I was sorta unimpressed by Poseidon and now that I'm to the state where I reunited the family and am cleaning up the final quests, holy poo poo he's really one of the best and synergizes with everyone and goddamn, utterly ridiculous.

The one time I beat Meg, I had nothing but Poseidon Boons and his Call. I died because I kept dashing into the lava in Asphodel while fighting the giant Gorgon Head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for the tips! Managed to make it past Megaera two more times, once with Fists, and once with Spear.

Had Divine Dash both times, and managed to find a Necter for Athena. Fists had Draining Cutter, which helped, and Spear had Lightning Strike. Also found a Death Defiance Refill on my Spear run.

I can't stop playing!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I need some help with something not gameplay related, and I'm hoping someone here has the answer, because I can't seem to find one anywhere else...

Any time I tab out of the game, it will minimize the window. And, since Windows 10 is Windows 10, it sends it to the end of the list of open windows, so if I try to alt+tab back to it, I get whatever window is next instead.

Is there some way to keep it from auto-minimizing when I tab out?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've beat Alecto twice, and it's been the same way both time: Let her go berzerk, then make her chase you over the traps, killing herself.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Managed to get 1 (one) Diamond. Should I spend it on the Fishing Pole or to free (M)Orpheus?

Eau de MacGowan posted:

ok the rocket launcher mod + triple fire rocket launcher mod for the gun is straight up the game giving you a get out of hades free card

I just found out that Triple Bomb is great, and pairs well with a LOT of boons. I made it all the way to looking for the Satyr Sack, and died in the first set of rooms because I went in with low health, and in the first room, I didn't see the Cure Poison Fountains until after everything was dead, so that knocked my HP even lower. 3rd chamber killed me quick.

I ended up with the following loadout:
Heatbreaker Flourish L3
Swift Flourish
Urge To Kill L4
Hypersprint
Triple Bomb
Ares' Aid L2
Targeting System

Looking forward to more Murder Gun runs! :blastu:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Delta Chamber + Triple Bomb is also fun!

Man, the Gun has a lot of :black101: upgrades, doesn't it?

Kheldarn posted:

I need some help with something not gameplay related, and I'm hoping someone here has the answer, because I can't seem to find one anywhere else...

Any time I tab out of the game, it will minimize the window. And, since Windows 10 is Windows 10, it sends it to the end of the list of open windows, so if I try to alt+tab back to it, I get whatever window is next instead.

Is there some way to keep it from auto-minimizing when I tab out?

It seems that the solution to this was to check Borderless and uncheck Full Screen. Which is not what I'd expect to have to do in order to get Borderless Full Screen. :shrug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Welp. My controller is dying. Left stick is drifting, making everthing point to the bottom of the screen.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good XBox One controller? Everything I've found has been for Series X or S or 360 or even Nintendo freaking Switch.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kuros posted:

I find the Series controllers better than the One controllers myself.

Really? Hmm... from what I can tell, they have extra buttons that I'd never use, so I didn't see a point to getting one, but if they perform better and last longer, I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Made it to the final boss today.

Died almost instantly in the 2nd phase. Still, I got further than I expected, so I'll take it!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

youre in the home stretch. Once I was able to make it to the final boss, it only took a few more tries before I beat him

I would suggest switching out Fiery Presence for Shadow Presence though. FP gives a nice damage bonus for rear attacks, which is very helpful for every boss and most enemies. SP is really good for random enemies, but it does next to noting for bosses

I think you have them backwards. I just checked the Mirror, and Fiery is for Undamaged Foes, and Shadow is for From Behind. Still, even though Bosses always tend to face you, Fiery is only good at the very start of a fight, while you can get behind a Boss every now and then.

Either way, good suggestion, and I'll swap 'em for my next run. Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I guess I should look into spending my 6 Titan Blood. Is there a recommended weapon to use them on for new players? I like all of the weapons except for the Bow (which I've ironically made it to Lernie with, but not Sword or Fists).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for all the tips on Titan's Blood!

I ended up going with this:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Zag fists are your best bet for early blood. hold on, let me find my old post about this

And this was the result of my first run with it:

It's SO FAST! I got him down to ~50% Health before I died.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

You were on a tear there. Only at the half-hour mark partway through the last fight would one of my faster times. Was your main thing Dash-Striking everybody?

Oh yeah. Everyone says the main thing to do is ABD - Always Be Dashing, and so I do.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Got 'em!

Thanks again for the tips!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Haven't managed a 2nd escape yet, but I did beat the 2nd hardest boss, Charon. Tanked my run, though, and I died to Meg.

The hardest boss remains the game knowing who you want to give a Nectar to, and either doesn't have them present, or has them in a conversation. Fukkin' RNG! :argh:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Got my 2nd escape, but, uh... look at that health...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

drat, I didn't check the %. I had noticed the Plume % not going up from those rooms when I tried it once but just thought I wasn't going fast enough (the game never tells you what fast actually means). Well, at least that narrows down my choices.

I thought this, too, but it does tell you: There's a circular timer under the Plume Icon that empties as you fight. If there's any time left, you get the bonus.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Here's an embarrassing way to end a run

https://v.redd.it/hgf18fm1vxca1/DASH_720.mp4

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/fRwpmPF.mp4

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Here's the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrIsMPWnEyM

And the follow up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjJA6H6fBs

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Because that's not how PCs work. For those, you get duct taped to the ceiling.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cactus posted:

Absolutely this. Even if you still only need to clear 4 or so areas to beat the game they need to build at least double that number and have a dead-cells type system where you can pick your route
(or have it picked for you) just to add some variety to a by-design already repetitive gameplay loop.

That's one thing I was surprised to not be able to find when I looked a while back - Mods for Hades that give extra levels, weapons, boons and monsters. Hell, with what AI is capable of these days you could even mod in some fully-voiced fan-fiction-tier additional story dialogue. Like I'm sure most of it would be laughably terrible but I'm surprised that for a game this popular it hasn't been tried, or at least I've not looked in the right places to find it if it has.

There were mods on Nexus that added new voice lines for the extra boons they add. I wonder if those got pulled for some reason?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wow. Even at just Rank 1, Zeus Shield is friggin' AMAZING!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

sebzilla posted:

How does she smell?

Itzena posted:

…with her nose?

Soul Dentist posted:

Obviously not

I was not expecting Hades 2 to play like Final Fantasy Tactics

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm torn because I really want to play Hades 2 but on the other hand, I want to play it as a finished product. I think I'm happy to wait.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Like, I wanna play when things are stupid powerful and overturned, but I also don't want to play after they've been adjusted, because I'll miss the OHK shenanigans.

I'll probably wait until full launch, but then again, I might succumb to the hype in this thread once Early Access hits…

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

WHOA! That was a HELL of a reveal!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Watching that stream got me very hype for the game, and I might just go all in on Early Access.

Also, word is, they got the VA for Alphinaud from FF14 AND the narrator from BG3 doing voice work in the game!!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just a heads up: According to some people on Reddit, once you beat the boss 5 times, it won't let you leave the starting area any more.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Madurai posted:

So far, the most surprising reveal has been Homer

Yup. And yet, in retrospect…

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Something about the Technical Test Stream wasn't sitting right with me, and I figured out what it is today, thanks to RNG:

Having to choose a Tool is Bad. Zag can fish whenever a spot pops up. Mel should be able to gather whenever an item pops up.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FooF posted:

Plus, who's to say that you don't get to swap out the Tools mid-run in between areas.

OK, that's something I didn't think about...

But overall, I just don't like having to do that kind of thing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I should get back into Hades to try to do some of the postgame stuff (though to confirm, the end of the main plot is (Big spoilers obvs) BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS Persephone going back to Hades with Zagreus, right?

To those who have played the Technical Test: Does Melinoe have a narrator that she is able to hear and respond to, and occasionally gets catty with like Zagreus does? :v:

Yes. It's the same narrator. And the game reveals who it is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't know if I'm supposed to be reporting bugs as part of the technical test or not but I just managed to turn off all my controller inputs in the Hades window by reassigning every button which was mildly annoying mid run. Anyway game owns. Presumably just gonna buy early access on steam rather than wait for a console port BC I'm that excited.

They said during the dev stream that it automatically reports things, so all you need to do is play it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hermes keeps asking me if I want him to shut up. I keep telling him no. Is there any reason to say yes?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

^burtle posted:

EA just released??

Yup. It's official!

The Steam News Page is running slow, so here's what it says for those who can't access it right now:

HADES II Early Access is Here!!
After more than three years in development, our first-ever sequel is now available in Early Access!! Watch our new gameplay showcase to see it in action. Note this contains some spoilers!

Hades II
May 6, 2024 Add to Cart $29.99

We hope you enjoy discovering all that Hades II in Early Access has to offer! It already includes more environments, foes, and fully-voiced characters than the full version of the original game, and we have more in the works. An in-game development roadmap provides additional details about our update plans.

Note for owners of Steam Deck, we're pleased to report Hades II is Deck Verified!

About Hades II
Hades II is a rogue-like dungeon crawler in which you'll battle beyond the Underworld of Greek myth using dark sorcery to take on the sinister Titan of Time. It builds on the best aspects of the award-winning original in an all-new, action-packed, endlessly replayable experience rooted in Greek myth and its deep connections to the dawn of witchcraft.

As the immortal Princess of the Underworld, you'll explore a bigger, deeper mythic world, vanquishing the Titan's forces with the full might of Olympus behind you, in a sweeping story that continually unfolds through your every setback and accomplishment. New locations, challenges, upgrade systems, and surprises await as you delve into the ever-shifting Underworld again and again. For more information, check our Hades II FAQ.

About Early Access
This Early Access launch is an extraordinarily exciting moment for our team as we begin the process that we expect will help us realize this game's potential. As with the original, we designed Hades II for Early Access from the ground up, and look forward to hearing your feedback about all that we've built so far, and integrating that feedback into our plans for the rest of production! This is a game with many interconnected parts, and your feedback helps us ensure everything from the balance to the narrative are working as well as possible.

Should you play in Early Access, or wait for the full game? For many players, it's a good idea to wait for the complete v1.0 before diving in, as Hades II will grow and improve during Early Access, and the true ending of the story won't be available until then. But, if you like the idea of seeing the game evolve over time, and watching the story unfold more gradually, then Early Access is probably for you!

The Hades II Original Soundtrack
Music has always been essential to the experience of each title from Supergiant Games, and Hades II is no exception, with an original soundtrack by our award-winning composer Darren Korb crafted to fit the bewitching theme and variety of all-new characters and environments.

Hades II Original Soundtrack
May 6, 2024 Add to Cart $9.99

Now available alongside the game, the soundtrack is already nearly as expansive as the original, with close to two-and-a-half hours of new music... and still more tracks to be added as development continues. Note: We recommend first experiencing our soundtracks in-game!

What's Next
We're planning our first Major Update for later this year! Please note while we'll be monitoring feedback and reports carefully, this Major Update will take some months following our initial launch. Beyond that, we expect to be in Early Access at least through the end of 2024 in order to build out the remaining content we have planned.

As we take stock of the state of the game and what you think of it, we'll gain a clearer sense of just how close we are to the finish line. For now, it's too early to say when our v1.0 launch will be. Yet even though Hades II won't be complete for some time, we hope you really enjoy it as soon as you start playing.

Lastly: Thank you. This year our studio turns 15 years old, and for all this time we've remained small and independent, working on one major new project after another. None of this would have been possible without the support of our players over the years. So, whether Hades II is your first Supergiant game, or you've been with us since the Bastion days, we're grateful you could join us.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For now, Hades II EA isn't available for consoles.

From the FAQ
Hades II is now available in Early Access on:
· Steam
· Epic Games Store

We do not have a release date set for the completed Hades II v1.0, and expect to be in Early Access at least through the end of 2024. We expect for Hades II to eventually be available for PC, Mac, and console platforms (though cannot confirm which platforms yet).

And from the Tech Support FAQ

How to Report Bugs While Playing
If you run into a bug while playing, please consider pressing F10 to report it to us. (Note this is available on Windows only.) Bug reports help us quickly track and solve issues with the game, improving the experience in Early Access for everyone. Thank you for your help!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hades 2: Early Access - You Can Kiss The Frog

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Y'all makin' me wanna buy this game in EA...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just checked out a video, and Apollo spoke. He sounds just like Alphinaud. Poor Colin Ryan.