Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cool thread, cool game. Thanks a lot to everyone that gave me advice about how to evade Asterius back in the Steam thread, I managed to get past Elysium for the first time, and kept rolling all the way through to my first victory!

Mostly a cast-based bow run leaning heavily on Artemis for the homing cast and quick bloodstone retrieval, although honorable mentions go to my bro Ares whose blade rift call let me stay invincible long enough to learn Hades's moves, and to my bro Chaos who almost killed me with a quadruple damage trap in the second room of the run, but then gave me a disgustingly massive hp pool so that I ended with 272 hp even though I haven't yet unlocked the mirror upgrade for more hp.

Game rules super hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Haephestus is also a big one, and of course Demeter is somewhat plot-relevant. Hestia also has some mentions in the Adamant Rail flavor text.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I like Ares a lot because I am not experienced enough to know when is safe to attack, so by moving defensively and attacking occasionally his doom effects let me keep my damage reasonable while still paying most of my attention on avoiding enemy attacks. I can see him getting less compelling as I learn enemy animations to the point that I can attack more without taking damage, but for now it's really tempting to take his blood vial as my Tartarus trinket.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It was Poseidon's cast. I'm mostly basing my estimation on how much a single bloodstone did (about half a health bar on the enemies I tested it on) as opposed to 7. I can understand if it was a little off because of not factoring in the base attack damage, but 7 times off is a bit too much for it to be a simple mistake. There's also that weird thing it did I mentioned where only a single bloodstone showed on the health bar of the enemy that it got embedded in, but when it popped out later I still recovered all casts by picking it up.

I used the Hera aspect last night with the Artemis cast and I'm pretty sure it's bugged in some way. I would load up all my casts into an arrow, shoot a guy, and he would take 1 cast's worth of damage and only get 1 bloodstone icon on the enemy. Then even though it showed my available bloodstone total as 0/3, if I right-clicked again it would suddenly realize I had 2/3 bloodstones left and update the display accordingly. It didn't happen all the time, but it seemed to happen more often if I was shooting at enemies at the limit of my normal arrow range or offscreen.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
NPCs will sometimes be off doing other things. He'll probably be around after your next run.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Poseidon is so good at clearing regular trash I feel like the biggest mistake you can make with him is going too heavy on him and being unprepared for bosses. If you've got his dash or his Special boon you're basically set and can focus everything else on anti-boss stuff.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's a good point, Rupture is a great way to add boss damage to a Poseidon heavy build

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Zeus dash counters those little chariots pretty hard though

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Xaris posted:

Not a bad idea. I do think the game tends to weigh RNG for giving you Gods you've already visited, so if you want to get Artemis or stuff.

Had a really good run with the Shield with the Spinning Special aspect with Poisedon giving +180% damage and knockback and rupter and duo with zeus to also strike lightning and jolted, explode when shield is retrieved, Zeus special, and some other fun things. I could just put the shield out infront of me and get his Call going and stand t here with impunity. Worked out really well. I kinda regret not going Chaos Shield first but I've already invested it to lvl4 and god dammit I'm going to make it work. I'll agree Poisedon is kinda weak overall just because Knockback doesn't really help vs bosses but it can help proc the 2-status effect boost and Rupture ain't completely awful.

What exactly does +20% Special Speed mean from Hermes? Is it cooldown?

It's animation speed, which is effectively cooldown since specials don't really have cooldowns in this game, you can use them as soon as the previous special finishes its animation. The boon is very noticeable with the big slow mortar lob on the rail.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

So, uh, Hunting Blades is the best Boon in the game? It's a pain in the rear end to get, but I dont know how you lose once you have constant, free, fire-and-forget damage like that.

Now try it with Vicious Cycle (Ares's Legendary).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Iverron posted:

Tried Hera’s but was not a fan of how slow it seemed. Really needed the decreased bloodstone time boom or just some other way to get back bloodstones sooner.

Starting a Hera bow run with the Dionysus or Ares trinket has good odds of letting you just get the festive fog or blade rift casts, which don't stick in enemies so you don't have to wait nearly as long to get your bloodstones back. I like Ares a bit more because it puts you closer to his Legendary which combines with his cast to be absolutely nuts for a Hera bow run.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Charm works on the final boss????? :stare:

Achilles does say he thinks Aphrodite is the most powerful of the gods.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Xaris posted:

Man I haven't had a Duo boon in like 3 runs now despite having 4-5 different god boons. I swear I'm never going to finish this Duo Boon Prophecy list.

Some of them have additional requirements. The Zeus + Ares duo for example won't show up unless you have at least one revenge boon, since it's a buff/modifier for revenge boons.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ares's dash seems like the best one for damaging bosses, especially the act 3+4 ones since you'll be dashing away from their melee attacks all the time. It's not the sort of thing you want to deliberately try to hit them with, but it adds up a lot as you're doing what you'd be doing anyway. It also makes you basically immune to small rat swarms and the little suicide chariots.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Yeah the wheat & cornucopia make it hard to imagine anyone else.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In the original myth, Persephone must spend 1/4th of the year with Hades, and 3/4ths of the year with her family back on Earth / Olympus. Winter as a season exists because that is the fourth of the year that Persephone spends with Hades, and Demeter, her mother, the harvest goddess mourns for her absence. When Persephone returns, Demeter rejoices, bringing spring.

Tomorrow we'll (probably) get Demeter's take on the whole mess, but so far the Olympians haven't said anything about the world getting abnormally messed up, even the ones fairly close to nature like Artemis or Poseidon. When Hades says winter is new he could be referring to just this winter cycle is a relatively new thing that's only been around since the Persephone events (how old is Zagreus? How long was Persephone with Hades before Zagreus was born?), not that it's permanent winter year-round. Or the winter could be a localized effect around the entrance to Hades' domain, representing Demeter's displeasure with him, but she really can't do anything to harm him other than dump snow on his front door.

edit: I doubt the reincarnation thing is correct. Reincarnation doesn't show up in Greek myths about the afterlife, and if the game really did take place over that long a timespan, Persephone herself would die and show up in the underworld for Zagreus to meet. Nyx says she is certain Persephone is still alive because if she wasn't she'd be down here. Reincarnation would also cheapen the stories of Orpheus and Eurydice, of Achilles and Patroclus, etc.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 20, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

kaschei posted:

Winter is permanent because Persephone isn't "out there" for Zagreus to find. This is the reason Hades has forbidden Zagreus to leave.

Nah, I think she is, on your first escape, Hades asks Zag that if he meets her to tell her that Cerberus is doing very well That kind of feels like as close to genuine as ol' passive aggressive Dad can be.

kaschei posted:

There are a lot of snippets about gods and mortality. A good bit about Eurydice being a dead divine being. I think somewhere Achilles speculates that Zagreus is a god of mortality?

Zagreus is the god of talking back to Hades.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The new patch turned all the chiron shops into dead rooms. Enemies drop so little cash that you need two money rooms and practically no spending on pools to afford a single boon. Or I could... go to a boon room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you haven't tried Grandma's call yet, her voice actress really sells it hard, it's metal as hell.