Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I picked up the game two days ago and oof the 2-on-1 fight in Elysium has roadblocked me twice. I've been mostly rocking the spear with focus on specials but I might try diversifying my weapon choices and see if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Managed to make it to Hades for the first time! I mean I died, but I'm slowly making progress.

Spear and shield are good. The bow/gun haven't quite clicked yet but I can see where they might be good. The sword is decent, though I only really got a good run with it when I got the health on hit boon.

The boss fight at the end of Elysium is still the worst. Honestly Elysium is just kind of a pain.

Also nobody seems to really talk about the gauntlets? Are they not so great?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've made it to Hades a few times but haven't gotten him down yet. I'm wondering if I can just use Hermes' Plume and just try and blast through and stack as much dodge as possible.

Also the Shield double bash with Artemis' boon that fires an arrow each time you attack is also kinda good. The Hydra just became a punching bag outside of the adds phases.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah keep the plume on from the beginning of the run and just clear each room as fast as you can. I like stacking it with zag fists for the extra dodge and you become really hard to hit. Aim for hermes rooms and get some extra dodge and move speed and you're nigh unhittable. Fastest run I ever did (just sub 20 min, but still).

Yeah I did it with the gauntlets (though Hermes refused to give me any dodge boons). Athena's call saved my butt too many times to count in the final fight. Tacked on Dionysus' dash for a bit of extra damage.

Now I just gotta do it with the other weapons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I tried the Erebus Rail and I don't think I've really got the hang of it. I got the Cluster Bomb spread too but lining them up to cluster on an enemy while dodging attacks and trying to fire is kind of... a lot. Especially when the targeting reticles also obscure things like enemy projectiles.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TraderStav posted:

Are there any other weird things like above that I should be aware of that didn't feel obvious but were head slappers afterwards?

Ambrosia also only becomes giftable once you finish a god's favour after they hit the locked number of hearts (usually around 5-6, you can check the progress via the codex). It varies from character to character and some are easy (Hermes' only requires you to talk to him with his keepsake maxed out and equipped) and some take a long time (Dionysus for instance requires you to give a total of 10 Ambrosia spread out between at least 6 different characters).

Also once the lounge opens up, you can talk to the big ghost in its right side to trade resources. It has some limited deals (which replenish once after every run) and a normal trade menu.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TraderStav posted:

Another question: Euradyce gives you choices for upgrades and can either upgrade a boons level or rarity. How do those differ? For the same effect, is the more rare version of it just have a higher base effect (damage or whatever) and so that gets upgraded, where otherwise you're just advancing the same boon rarity to the next incremental level with the other option?

More or less yes. Rarities are generally more profitable, but you only get two upgrades from her compared to the four levels. However if you have a lot of boons there's a lower chance of you getting a 'miss' by picking rarity since a bunch of boons are probably fine at base or low levels. Conversely if you only have a few boons by the time you get to her (either through chance or focus) then you might as well pick rarities to avoid wastage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Control Volume posted:

This is correct, but for the most part there usually isnt a big numerical difference (or any at all) between upgrading rarity or upgrading from level 1 -> 2. Since poms give diminishing returns, you might want to gamble getting your main damage button from common to rare if its level 4 or something at that point instead of the safer pom gamble at level 1.

There is a difference in that some skills don't have levels but just rarities. All of Hermes' boons are unaffected by poms, for instance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm on a shield run where I have Chill dash, Hangover on special, and Weak on hit, and being hit also snaps the enemy with Chill and Weak.

Activating that 20% bonus has never been easier.

fool of sound posted:

It's also incredibly unlikely that you'll get to him without any boons. You'd have to spam starts until you got a hammer, then use room reward rerolls to get rid of otherwise unavoidable boons. And of course it would be difficult. Actually, come to think of it does Sisyphus keepsake force a hammer in room 1? If not it should.

It doesn't since you can still pick boons that don't affect Attack/Special/Cast. You could just get Dashes and Calls and resource stuff.

Actually do Hermes' attack/special speed boons disqualify Sisyphus?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Geemer posted:

You don't. Gotta keep it on the entire run.

Yeah, Thanatos' keepsake works the same way. If I'm swapping to them it's after Tartarus at the very latest.

Also apparently my bow clear was just using point-blank shot and double shot and it was so much smoother that I was surprised. Having to just run up and get close takes away my issue of the normal shot feeling slow and clunky since you're not waiting for it to hit maximum range and sniping. The damage is also potent especially since I had Poseidon boons, too. I didn't even get a fourth god's boons and Dionysus only contributed via his call.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm sure you can find some niche use for the chaos shield, on the other hand I've never felt compelled to move to the other gauntlets since the base version is perfectly fine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The more I play the more I feel like Dionysus is one of the weaker Gods in terms of buffing the regular attack options. Hangover is cool but even at 5 stacks you might be better off with another option like Zeus for multi hits or just raw damage like Poseidon or Aphrodite for big chunky hits. If you need to run and dodge a lot I guess he's a way to rack up passive damage but he hasn't quite sunk in as a 'I'm glad I picked him' option for damage purposes yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah if you can stack Dio with Aphrodite for extra stacks on Weak and if you're lucky the Vulnerability on Weak he's pretty darn good, especially with the mirror boon that gives extra damage on double status effects, but I think aside from his dash you do have to devote to him a bit, whereas with a lot of other gods you can kinda just plug and play. Otherwise Demeter feels like a lot easier to stack her debuff on and she slows enemies to a crawl, giving you more freedom to just go ham.

It's slightly annoying on Hades because he can just shrug and remove all your stacks whenever he wants.

It doesn't mean Dio is bad, he just takes a bit more investment.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nybble posted:

Dio definitely helped me out a ton in earlier runs; I think my first Hades clear was a combo of Dio and Demeter cast just passively ticking off health while I tried to figure out his patterns and learn to avoid damage.

More broadly the game feels like it’s full of training wheels like this: the lucky tooth and cerebus collar helped with having more life in my early runs until I figured out more of the nuances. Been interesting to see how my choices have evolved over time.

To be fair, both of those are really important early on when you don't have death defiance and tough skin.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dyz posted:

Aside from poseidon sword my goto for cast builds are almost always demeter, dio, or ares. They handle groups well while dishing out crzay damage when upgraded.

With fists/shield I also like to get ares cast since its great in close range and i can push/pull enemies into it.

I'm one of those that rarely remember to use casts outside of the Hera bow.

I really should be in the habit of doing it more often though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Unrelated, but what does Artemis' boon which deals damage when a call is dislodged do if you have the regenerating casts instead?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The weird thing about Stubborn Defiance is that it makes some of those Athena boons only half as useful but doesn't prevent them from showing up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just out of curiosity, if the first Poseidon boon you pick up is the treasure one, does that still 'lock' him in as one of your Gods for that run? I presume so, but who knows.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I went from 'ugh, I just can't use the bow at all, I can't get into the Chiron playstyle' to it now being my most successful weapon clear. Apparently it was just moving to Hera bow and focusing on just using attack and power shots instead, and instantly grabbing the Double Shot whenever it comes up.

Unrelated, but is it me or do certain Call boons like Dionysus prevent you from sticking the call debuff on enemies?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I finally got the rocket/quintuple barrage combo on the rail and it was so good.

I've more or less reached the endgame, I think? I still have to work towards the epilogue but otherwise it's mostly just grinding heat and nectar and working on unlocking hearts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The auto targeting can be a bit annoying especially when the vases show up and my rockets suddenly veer into the far left away from dad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Demeter + Aphrodite makes it ridiculously easy to keep up Privileged.

I think what's just soured me on spear is that my playstyle tends to be 'run in and go ham when I can within reasonable distance while spamming Y/X/B' and the spear is too sluggish to support that playstyle and doesn't do enough damage either to tag and run. I had similar issues with the rail but getting cluster rockets is extremely rewarding and the base attack is fast enough that a decent Zeus build can make up for it.

I haven't really found a spear build where it's clicked and felt satisfying yet.

ilmucche posted:

I've realized the reason I hate the shield so much is because its basic aytacjhas knockback. Why do I want a Melle weapkn that naturally pushes enemies out of its own range. The double hit boon that takes away knockback is the only thing that makes it useful in my runs.

The sword does the same thing too, it's just that it only knockbacks on the third hit and dash attack. Also knockbacks are meant to help with wall slams.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 5, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What are good calls to work with Beowulf? I tried Demeter (the crystals just instantly explode after I rush) and Zeus (I usually end up pushing them out of the blast).

GlyphGryph posted:

I understand the spear hate, but I dunno. It's still my favorite weapon. It's just so easy to play cautiously and avoid taking damage. I do agree that the charge is worthless/a trap most of the time, though. My favorite is probably just the basic Zag spear, just because it's got a really good toss, but Achilles Spear and Hades Spear are both good for certain builds, and Guan Yu is great for dealing heavy damage from a safe distance.

It's the fists that I don't understand why people love. You have to be so close, I can't help but constantly take damage.

Fists are extremely fast, you can pile on damage pretty quickly, and it's pretty easy to weave in specials and dash strikes. They go really well with most boons but Poseidon allows you to slam things into walls repeatedly, and with Demeter/Dio you can very quickly rack up full stacks. Whenever I use fists I just grab the Lambent Plume and I can easily get over 20% speed and dodge by Hades, which means Hermes boons are even better.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Styx is just very annoying when you're dealing with a lot of satyrs and rats in the big rooms. The rest of the enemies are pretty mild in comparison, but the armoured rats in particular just take forever to kill and if you're a melee class then you can just get bogged to death.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is Dionysus best used with Attack, Special or Dash? It's going to vary with weapon obviously but he's got a limit of 5 stacks anyway (unless you pair him with Aphrodite), but each version has different Hangover values.

Of course his Call is the most efficient (last run I used a Dio call with Zeus boons to quicken the gauge and get benefits from it) but you're not always going to have that option.

That said I gotta say, loading three shots of Trippy Fog into Beowulf and Bull Rushing into a foe is really nice big damage. Especially if you have his duo with Zeus.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm getting close to the epilogue (just need to finish maxing out some hearts). Aphrodite's link is probably the biggest pain among the Olympians to max out since you need to finish three other specific links to do it. Dionysus requires you to unlock at least six but those can be any six. Zeus seems to require nabbing a whole bunch of dialogue though and that can take a while.

Shout out to my pal Hermes though, easiest one ever.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Despite the thematic fitting of it, Poseidon boons just feel not great with the spear. Unless you can keep the opponent pinned against a wall, it feels like I'm just slowly pushing opponents out of the spear's range and I have to readjust to try to make use of its greater range compared to the melee weapons. Its narrow range in the first place makes it trickier to use against groups of opponents.

I guess if you get both Extending and Triple Jab then you can cover enough of an area that you can just mash attack pretty well, but ehh, I just haven't found a boon that feels like it matches particularly well with the spear.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I know everyone sings the praises of Chiron but to me Hera was way easier to pick up especially since you don't need to sink any additional blood into it.

It also helps that hammers are more beneficial to Hera since everything that affects Attack is good for it, whereas with Chiron you're mostly hunting for the hammer that gives you extra shots on Special.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

This was a very silly but fun build.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dio call is great and my only con with it is that since you never want to use it at max stacks you almost never hear Dio's call out for it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hypnos is probably the least essential person to work on anyway I think since he doesn't gate any other content. Just about every other character but Cerberus is involved in unlocking something, and Cerberus is best boy anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spergatory posted:

So you know how I said I can't imagine how Beowulf shield would be better than Zeus? Well, having played with it now, I can confidently say... it super isn't! Zeus is the best. Beowulf is a close second, if and only if you get a good cast. It's garbage if you can't, like actually the worst shield form. Too slow and without enough power to actually make up for the lack of speed, unlike Excalibur.

Beowulf even without casts isn't really any worse than the normal or Chaos shields. It's attack might be a smidge slower I think?

At least there are several casts that work well with Beowulf so you're not just hoping for that one best one (Dionysus).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Panfilo posted:

I think Hades is the only keepsake I haven't gotten, but he won't accept any more nectar. How do I get him to get one more so I can complete my keepsake collection?

What happens if you get a Pom before you have any boons?

You can complete all the keepsakes on the prophecy list without Hades.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Fists are in fact very good, my first clear and probably tied with the bow for my best weapon. Even then the bow was a learning curve for me while with fists I could just rush in and slam.

I'm not sure I've seen many people say the spear is their favourite. Maybe they worked fine with it but it was never their top choice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Panfilo posted:

Wait what? :stonk:

You can die once per chamber with that, so if you die in every room it gets to over 50 deaths.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Depending on the enemy formation, too. Shielded Exalted are a pain even if you get double points for them, as well as the Megagorgons if Than marks them first.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Neither gets an innate Rarity boost; the 'bonus' is that you get two boons in one room in the first place.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If I have a quibble about the game, it's that Achilles and Nyx have so much dialogue to go through for quest-related things and you can only talk to them once per run. Achilles has more dialogue, but Nyx is involved in more quests.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Story RNG is the worst. I'm still waiting for Artemis to talk to me enough so that she'll unlock her heart, and I have no idea how far along I'm at with Zeus' since he relies on so much dialogue prompts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've finished doing all the invitations for the epilogue but Hades still won't trigger that dialogue to finish it. Is it a 'just gotta cycle through dialogue' thing, or do I still need to finish up unlocking hearts (I've only got Artemis and Aphrodite left)?