Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

That's a shame, I was really hoping for one more biome. Runs feel a bit short right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Andrast posted:

I'm not super experienced yet but I have difficulty justifying picking anything except the pierced butterfly

Pick up the poseidon sword/hera bow and start with the artemis trinket, enjoy your free win

Some really good trinkets:

- Cerberus is good in the beginning when you don't have enough darkness to start with 100 hp
- Nyx is also good in the beginning because you'll want to pick up a lot of darkness and the heal will keep you going a while longer
- I will almost always equip Hypnos early in a run then switch to something else (unless I went with pierced butterfly), 200 gold is quite a lot of money
- Skelly is quite good against daddy, especially in hell mode where you don't have as many death defiances
- Myrmidon's bracer is great value and gets really dumb with aphrodite/athena
- Same for broken spearpoint but that might be because I'm playing on hell mode which removes iframes, don't know how valuable it would be on normal mode
- Dusa is surprisingly ok in Elysium
- God trinkets are very useful when you want to take your run in a certain direction, like if a weapon really benefits from a particular god or if you really want a particular duo boon

Trinkets are really strong and well worth your time (well maybe not Sisyphus). Purchase the trinket swapping thingy asap and get in the habit of swapping them through the run.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 19, 2019

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I was talking about trinkets, not summons.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah forgot after the hourglass, good point. It's a really good trinket, also great for players on fresh files who usually will be tight on money.

Got exclusive access (all future boons are at least epic) halfway through tartarus, then got all the poseidon talents except the +% loot. Also got the poseidon/zeus duo because why the hell not. And then I got +3 dashes from Hermes. I didn't use my weapon even once after the hydra lol

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Poseidon's sword is usually stronger than hera's bow, but slightly more dangerous to use as you need to get close to the enemy slightly more often. It also scales better with a massive +50% cast damage at max rank. Also Hera's bow might be buggy right now according to the rest of the thread?
And yeah, can't go wrong with the Chaos Shield, it's just a very well rounded weapon and you can't really get a bad run with it if you build it properly.

In other news, turns out getting Athena's dash as your first boon is pretty good.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The spear spin, kinda like the sword special, can be combined with a dash to give it a lot more range. It's obviously really good with the Hades aspect, but you can also make it work on other builds by setting up a spin on top of spawning enemies or picking up the right boons/hammers. Had a run yesterday with athena's attack + greater deflect + slower enemy projectiles + both spin hammers and I ended up just sitting on top of the final boss and spinning over and over again.
Also keep in mind the spin gives you a few iframes.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Hera's bow is easier to use and a good choice if you're struggling. Another great option would be the chaos shield, it's extremely safe to use and you can't really get a bad build going with it.

Still climbing up the pact of punishment to see how far the streak goes. Tried out the +400% trap on this one and didn't think much of it until I decided to throw my face into one of those pink ballistae in Elysium for 100 hp :downs:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Broken spearpoint is your best friend for the last stage.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

Does the invulnerability fire from poison damage?

No, but the poisoned dart will proc the invulnerability. The dart itself deals little damage, and you can reach purging pools before the poison starts ticking. It also procs when the little rats hit you in crowded rooms, but most importantly, it works against lasers, both from snake statues and the boss himself. It's an excellent trinket that will usually be worth more HP than the 150 the skelly trinket gives you, unless you're super low on HP and extra lives by the time you reach Styx.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Chiron aspect is also great once you've put some blood into it.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Athena's Dash: still dumb

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

This is the setup I'm currently streaking on.

Add Extreme Measures 3 for 15 heat, replace Budget Cuts with a second Damage Control since you mostly don't give a poo poo about that condition with the shield.
e: also replace Personal Liability with Calisthenics or a fifth Forced Overtime. You'll have to activate Forced Overtime if you want to reach high heat, might as well get used to it :getin:

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 2, 2020

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

A lot of Dionysus' boons are pretty situational, but I do find poison to be an easy curse to keep applied for the +50% damage.

Yeah it's this.
Poison is also just really good dps by itself on certain weapons. It works quite well with Chaos Shield or Chiron's bow, for example.
As for the marked curse, I'll pick it up if I have a big Artemis AoE but weak single target damage. Open up with the AoE, take down the marked target, which will very likely mark another one, then repeat. Useless in 1v1 boss scenarios, but don't underestimate how important regular fights are.

Almost 30 in a row :toot:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Picked the game back up after pausing for a couple of months and things sure are different. Gems, diamonds, titan's blood? Whew.

Any recommendations on priorities/best picks for the titan's blood?

1) Chaos Shield
2) Poseidon Sword/Hera Bow
3) Whatever you enjoy the most

Ragnar34 posted:

Kind of wish these summons were more impressive. It's not like they're a liability, but for something with an entire new resource devoted to unlocking and improving them, they could at least kill one wave of enemies per use. Not even that, maybe. Gimme a full screen damage wave, or kill the one enemy in the room with the most HP, or fill up my god gauge, or top off my health.

The (most likely to be) last summon you unlock is completely overpowered and the Skelly one is pretty good too.

I just really don't enjoy the rail. Thank god for Poseidon, didn't have to use my weapon in the temple.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 3, 2020

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

My damage was ok, the rail just doesn't feel satisfying to me for some reason

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Extreme Measures Hydra is definitely spicier.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Artelier posted:

in case you guys are unaware, give up isn't "eat a loss", give up is "reset to just before you start the run, with the same room order, boons offered, etc"

Oh great, there go my bragging rights :negative:

Regarding special trinkets: Bouldy, on top of being way too powerful, can completely block certain enemies. Super Theseus' chariot form couldn't run around the arena because the money drops were in the way. He just stood in place, bombing the ground around it without a pause and forced me to plink away at him with a ranged attack until phase 2.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I'm wondering if they may enable an a way in the menu to quit and take the loss after they reach full release. I know they're looking at player data on runs for the purpose of balancing difficulty and whatnot. I can see the advantage of being able to force people to play with sub-optimal builds and less favored boons with the current setup. A lot of folks would just quit and restart repeatedly until they got a hammer in room 1 if given the option.

Which is strange to me as I think getting a boon in the first room is better than a hammer.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

kaschei posted:

Boons can up your damage more than any hammer upgrade. But:
- hammer upgrades are more “definitive” of how you can utilize boons

Yeah that's why I'd rather not have one early on. I build around my basic boons (attack/special/cast/call), see what I get, if I can make good use of boiling blood or privileged status or if I'm going to go hard on a specific type of offense, and then pick a hammer according to what I need the most in my run. Since I aim for consistency, I don't want to pigeonhole myself before even knowing which gods I'll meet.
The other thing is that if you skip a hammer room early on a floor (usually elysium), you'll be offered another hammer several rooms later. Lets you optimize your rewards a bit more.
And then there's the sword which has mostly weak hammers. I just end up skipping the second one altogether if the first one gave me the wider special (or the big overhead slash with a crit build).

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 4, 2020

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Cerberus is good for beginners who don't have 100 base HP yet
Skelly is good if you're very low on hp/lives and desperately need a pick me up
Otherwise, Broken Spearpoint is definitely the right choice for the last stretch

And yeah Myrmidon's Bracer is all around a very good trinket, I usually equip it in Elysium if I don't need to meet a specific god

Xaris posted:

I haven't played with Hermes keepsake yet, seems alright but it's not clear how "quickly" means and I feel i'd have to get lucky with the right boons early on to make it work. I suppose it doesn't have a timer on the screen does it?

It does have a timer.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

From the current ending, it seems like they have at least one more act planned. Overall, A4 feels a little thin too.

Actually, a separate, second 4 act sequence would be great to fight your way into Olympus. That would also keep the overall run time down too.

Zag doesn't want to go to Olympus.
Devs said the game is pretty much complete length wise (beside the ending) so the current run is pretty much what you get in the final release. I'm hoping they'll consider more content after release, otherwise this will never have the replayability other roguelites have.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yes, I always equip it in Styx.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Don't know why everyone is knocking down my man Poseidon, maybe it's because Hell Mode + heat makes regular fights more dangerous. Having good waveclear lets you stay healthy until you reach the boss, which in itself makes the fight easier. I'll usually try to make a build able to both deal with regular fights and bosses and Poseidon excels at fighting trash mobs. I just complement him with another god for Theseus and daddy. My ~tier list~ for consistent victories would be something like

Athena
Aphrodite
Artemis / Poseidon
Dyonisos / Ares
Zeus

And even then, Zeus has great potential. He's quite needy if you want to center your build around him, which is thematically fitting, but you can usually get by as long as you get his jolted effect on one of your actions. Also Billowing Strength is excellent.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

All gods are good and the game is surprisingly balanced

Xaris posted:

I finally got Skelly and Thanatos Companion Summon and keep forgetting to use them. Thanatos one kinda sucks and Skelly is easy for you to accidentally kill and doesn't help that much on Hades but was nice on some particular dick Elysium levels. Is there one in particular I should save my Ambrosia for to max out? Seems like Boulder might be the best one because it can drop items.

Yeah maxed out Bouldy is absolutely bonkers
Like it's straight up the most powerful thing in the game and you can get it every single run

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Turns out vengeful mood's pretty good with aphrodite's revenge

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Strong %dmg increase, strong defensive status effect and 3 sec privileged status enabler make Aphrodite a good addition to any build. She's probably the best "secondary" god you can get overall.

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that I've ever been disappointed with a Hermes buff.

I have. I was offered the movespeed/dodge after casting boon, passing through and the bad legendary. Still a great god overall.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 10, 2020

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

No Wave posted:

I think forced overtime is something worth getting used to so I'm going to work up to +50% to get up to 10 heat, then the first time constraint/+1 blue heart/a few more enemies and maybe a rank of reduced healing to get up to 16.

I really want to avoid doing trap damage as long as possible because I am not used to Hydra 2.

Yeah, I'm running extreme measures 3, forced overtime 50% and the default Hell Mode stuff for the same reasons. It's really worth getting used to if you're going to play on very high heat.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Jesus christ I hate the rail. Every single run where I don't get triple rockets feels miserable. Almost lost the streak on this one, didn't get support fire and scintillating feast until Styx and got murdered in Elysium.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Have you tried Hestia aspect much yet? Because this was 100% me until I played with that fully upgraded.

Yes I have, it's fully upgraded. Didn't get the attack boon I needed this run, so it was thoroughly unenjoyable.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Playing with 50% Forced Overtime just feels too masochistic even for me. The fact that it speeds up everything, including enemy projectiles, just feels ridiculously overwhelming and not in a fun way.

Tried a run without 50% FO and it just felt like playing in slow motion. You get used to it, and it somehow feels right to me, like a proper hard mode.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Finally got the epic special speed from hermes with charon bow and my god, it's beautiful. Only got it in Styx, but daddy straight up melted :neckbeard:
Being offered the good old Dionysus/Aphrodite combo didn't hurt.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Demeter is all but confirmed.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Also, it can be worth it to level up and use the acorn keepsake from Eurydice if you're still trying to learn these attacks. It'll almost certainly keep you alive long enough to practice a little bit, even if you arrive with low health.

Level up the broken spearpoint instead, it will save you more HP than any other relic over the course of the last level.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

You did end up with way too much sustain once you had enough darkness/gems/trinkets going.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Demeter seems very strong but fun and unique, game is overall harder. I don't think my streak will last much longer, which is good. Eating and drinking my way through everything was getting boring.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Elysium punishes builds that can't deal with enemies quickly. Try to find a balance between boss killing and wave clearing abilities. Otherwise, grab some aphrodite boons using her trinket in Tartarus or Asphodel, then equip the myrmidon bracer in Elysium and go to town.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

They're trying to hit a sweet spot where players with a lot of darkness/gem improvements/summons don't win 90+% of their runs, which imo is a good thing. It does make the beginning harder, and they should change Zag's base stats to make up for this and make the early grind less frustrating, but you're definitely supposed to fail a lot early on. Trying only to fail and start anew is what the game is all about, after all. If this isn't your cup of tea, or if you're looking for an easier experience for any reason, don't forget God Mode is a thing in the options. From what I read, it gives you bonuses that keep going higher the more you lose to help you beat the game if you're mostly interested in the story.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Poseidon didn't need the buff, but hell, I'll have fun with that one.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty sure Poseidon's popularity will skyrocket. He was already good and a Poseidon build completely annihilates Styx, which is a lot more dangerous than before.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

No one will fight you on this one