Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Panfilo posted:

What's the % chance of a fishing spot?
According to the wiki, Fishing spots have two factors in spawning a fishing spot besides being a chamber that can spawn one:
First a certain amount of chambers has to have had been gone through before the check could happen again (entering a new zone resets the cooldown)
A spawn chance check.

The cool downs are listed as 10 for the main areas, 5 for Chaos (though idk how this squares with the resets), and 2 for Greece. Spawn chance percentages are 25% for Tartarus, 10% for the remaining main areas, 7% for Chaos and 20% for Greece.
https://hades.gamepedia.com/Fishing

Panfilo posted:

Also, I would gladly slam purchase a DLC if I could fight all sorts of other Geek Heroes and characters with their own pithy lines.

I wanna fight Extreme Measures Ulysses rollin around in a giant Trojan Horse summoning myrmidons the whole time. Aganemnon in a mecha suit. Alexander the Great teaming up with Brucephalus. That kind of thing.

I too would slam a DLC purchase for more stuff. Jason wearing his Golden Fleece and throwing his team of Argonauts at you, maybe wielding the magical and prophetic (and sarcastic and snarky) prow of his boat. Heracles who's just a bigger more rear end in a top hat-ish version of Theseus and decked out in all of his good poo poo and with more than one god's blessing.

Maybe a climb up Olympus. Add some new boons from some new gods: Hera, as a goddess of Family, with bonuses for having Boons with a variety of Gods and enhancing their effects but also some revenge effects and status for enemies who'd dare touch her nephew; Hestia, as a goddess of the hearth and sacrifice, has boons that all come with a cost but generally come to a net benefit either with recovery/resources at the cost of power or power at the cost of health and and also applying a bit of burning to enemies similar to Maim but DoT; Apollo, who's a god of all sorts of stuff including music and the arts, medicine and disease, prophecy, hunting, sometimes the sun, could probably have boons based any number of things but probably leaning more into the sun and prophecy parts with a stun or defense down status cause from the flashes of sunlight in attacks and increased Dodge and/or Crit from the prophecy parts; and maybe boons from Dad and Mom as well with Dad offering up traps and stuff seen in his boss fight and Mom with boons enhancing levels on other boons and giving root effects. Another God maybe to show up would be Hephaestus who'd enhance the weapon but only after a few encounters, and meanwhile Zag has to go with a janky loaner weapon that has some kind of flaw like a range or damage reduction or Boon lockout or some other penalty similar to Chaos.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

Man I really haven't been paying attention, cause I never even noticed any of those details. I thought it was just skull = elites and that was it

:same:

I think I might've noticed them at one point but stopped caring about them once I was on the hunt for Demeter boons to get her Legendary as it was the last one I need for the quest.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the most fun runs I’ve had are the Rail runs where I went all in on the special and got the triple special hammer. hades plays best as a Blowing Up Your Dad Simulator.

The best ones are where you Anvil into the mult-shot special and the rocket special.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Finally triumphed over :rock: MAXIMUM DAD :black101: through use of Zeus shield, which has now officially cemented itself as The Best Shield Aspect And It's Not Close as far as I'm concerned.

Also, just got to play around with Demeter's legendary. :stonk: Two things; 1. Chill builds are amazing, and 2. Demeter is scary as gently caress.

Child builds are ridiculous. Chill+Lightning builds moreso. Chill+Lightning+Secret Gun means cold lightning everywhere.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Poseidon on Lucifer attack might not exactly be "good" but it sure is funny blasting my enemies into walls with a futuristic water hose.

One other thing to note about Lucifer for those who aren't aware: Demeter's call also tracks the special and will trigger them. This can be good or bad depending on intent and strategy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

minya posted:

Honestly, I pretty much run Lambent Plume on fists 100% of the time, no matter what aspect I'm using. The fists are so fast and so powerful that it's not hard to get to 25%-30% or higher dodge by the time you reach Styx, and if you happen to get a Hermes dodge boon on top of that, you're hitting 50% or more dodge by the time you reach the end. And since fists require you to be in close quarters and stay there, dodge is your best defensive tool.

Cerberus collar is a good keepsake to use while you're figuring out the game, but as soon as you start getting good and have a couple clears under your belt, put it to bed. You don't really ever need more than 150-175 HP, which you can get easily by picking up hearts through your run, and as far as defensive boons go, the one that negates X instances of damage from bosses is way better (negating boss damage is where defense really matters — it'll negate up to almost 200 HP damage from the final boss at max level, more than twice the Cerberus one) or the other one that renders you invincible for 1.5s (max level) after getting hit. Both of those are better defensive boons than the collar, but for the fists specifically, the Plume outdoes them all.

I think I never used the Collar in my early runs. I used the Tooth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

fool of sound posted:

The basic sword combo is terrible and you should rarely be using it unless you have nemesis. Use special and dash strike as your main attacks instead. Also the secret to poseidon is that you can always easily force exit wounds, which instantly makes you op.

Just gotta actually get that boon though and not make the mistake of picking up the Demeter, Ares or Dionysus casts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

well why not posted:

How long until we start spitballing DLC ideas? It’a such a rich game but I want more everything!

I already did.

Other ideas: Play as Than and/or Meg with their own unique move sets based off of the ones in their fights

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

well why not posted:

That’s the tricky bit. We already have like a dozen move sets. How can you make another character feel new?

Than seems like a character that'd move slowly but has long range dashes with long cool down. Slow but with high single hit damage ability. Meg would be the opposite, really quick and light but reliant on comboing to rack up damage. Maybe they don't get access to Boons but they get access to a smaller set of upgrade lists.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Basically the rule of thumb for multi hit weapons like the Zeus shield special or the Lucifer special or the bow specials is that they're better with boons whose effects stack or don't mind triggering multiple times in a row. That is: Dionysus, Demeter, Zeus, and Artemis. Attacks that single hit prefer ones like Ares, Aphrodite and Poseidon. Artemis and Zeus are fine on single hit, but not as effective Athena technically applies too, but her status effect is on deflection so it's unrelated.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Super Rad posted:

Idk what it is exactly but the chop feels a bit bugged. I know it's supposed to be a tradeoff (lose the swinging motion and gain damage) but the chop routinely misses in ways that other straightforward attacks (like the spear's) don't. That said I did a chop run on a maxxed Zag aspect where I had lambent plume + move speed = +damage + Artemis attack boon and it sure as hell made for some beefy crits... if the attack landed.

I feel like the Sword has the most amount of trap hammers. Just hammers that can upend runs and possibly ruin them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Regarding your spoiler: Using Hades' Call multiple times during the fight with him results in a pretty funny "Who's on first" gag.

"Hades!"
"Boy!"
"Father!"
"What do you want!"
"Father!"
"I'm right here!"
"Hades!"
"WHAT!"

I love it so much.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

eonblue174 posted:

Try watching some streamers play, I like this guy and it's a 17 min vid

https://youtu.be/V1896WM4TTk

Yeah, watching optimized play can give you some new ideas and new appreciations for certain weapons that you might've balked on. The First Run escape speedrun gave me a new appreciation for the Sword and the Ares/Athena Duo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Fists are a good call. I'd say just experiment and try things out in general. There are a lot of things in Hades that I disliked on first try that I later grew to love. The rail is a prime example of this. All in all, it's probably my favorite weapon now and I enjoy every single aspect. Some things don't just automatically make intuitive sense to you or click the first time around.

You also learn about stuff that doesn't work or work for you in general. I personally hate the Ares/Poseidon duo and haven't groked the Zeus/Aphrodite and the Aphrodite/Demeter duos, but I know there are people in the thread who know how to use them well. I just haven't figured it out myself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
An anime today had a very good boy included.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

Just a flat 50% for rare, for both normal and perfect catches. Common is the other 50% of normal catches and legendary the other 50% of perfect.

Which, oddly, makes it kind of a pain to complete Achilles's encyclopedia entries for the common fish. Though it's better than the originally-intended chances for catching fish: 1/21 for normal catches to be rare or perfect catches to be legendary. Apparently a game bug made the chances 50/50 and they decided not to fix it.

It's only a pain for the common fish if you're extremely on the ball with your catches.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Am I missing something with aspect of Guan Yu? It feels slower but not stronger, you lose the return hit on the special (which often backstabs!), and the charged hit doesn't heal enough or kill that hard to be worth the masive health hit.

Learn how to use buffered Dash throws to get them out more. Healing is static per hit and doesn't matter how charged.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I would like it if she's somehow even more airheaded than her brother and now he gets to give someone poo poo for being bad at stuff.

From the trailer it seems she's definitely a bit more serious and edgier than Zag, but I imagine she'll get some half-boiled treatment where she tries to be tough and it just gets played for laughs a little

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Whats with the green translucent arm for the new protagonist?

My guess is magic. She's definitely gonna play differently than Zag which will be interesting.

From the trailer, it notes that she's going down so it may be a non-zero chunk of levels will be above ground before actually entering Hades and descending to wherever grandpa Kronos is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dmboogie posted:

gods i've encountered so far: (sample size too low to really guess their gimmicks in a lot of cases)

Apollo: dazes, daze can cause enemies to randomly fail to damage you
Aphrodite: applies weakness, i don't remember if weakness is different now
Artemis: same crit stuff as in 1, but she appears randomly to help like Thanatos
Demeter: freezes like in 1
Hestia: fire theme, damage over time
Hephaestus: gives your attacks a chance to do Big Damage Procs (on a cooldown)
Poseidon: same as in 1, a combination of knockback and 'greater reward' boons
Selene: appears to be the replacement for Calls, she gives strong abilities that need to be charged by spending mana
Zeus: applies lightning debuff that explodes for damage

hermes has been mentioned but hasn't appeared yet, seems like he'll be a later plot unlock

no ares yet but given the theming of the game theres no way he isn't around imo

Dionysus and Athena seems to be off of that list too. I'd imagine Athena and Ares might be out because they decided to lead a charge as they're both gods of War