Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
Has anyone found the new keepsakes yet? I'd assumed one is Persephone but I haven't had the opportunity to gift them nectar yet after a few meetings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

Seems like the protagonist is Hecate. Anyway, looking forward to simping for a whole new roster of Greek deities next year.

it's confirmed to be melinoe in the screenshots on the steam page, who would seem to be zagreus's sister according to the mythology - she's also a child of hades/persephone (though it's more complex than that as zeus is also cited as her father because the myths she appears in considered zeus & hades to be the same being)

so the main enemy is cronos who should be zagreus & melinoe's grandfather, but just looking at the wiki pages they might actually be going for zagreus = cronos as it seems like there's some very vague stuff they could piece together to create a narrative around that if they wanted

lih
May 15, 2013

the announcement blog says it is a direct sequel

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah based on the faq hecate is surely the mentor witch

edit: oh it's confirmed now lol

lih
May 15, 2013

re: "how many gods will there be?", the steam page says "Become stronger still with powerful Boons from more than a dozen Olympian gods, from Apollo to Zeus." so it seems safe to assume they're going to also add at least hera, hephaestus, and hestia to get to 13

then if they wanted to add more there's plenty of options (heracles etc.) for others who aren't part of the standard set

lih
May 15, 2013

it's already confirmed that there'll be "over a dozen" olympian gods you can get boons from (and there are 13 core olympian gods, although lists usually only had 12 with either hestia or dionysus missing out), so it would be very strange if any didn't return

lih
May 15, 2013

they've said the early access launch will be further along than the first game's ea launch was - at least as far along as it was when it was released on steam after a year of early access (but that was still 10 months before 1.0), so it probably won't spend as much time in early access either

lih
May 15, 2013

the main thing i really want to see is ways for runs to have a bit more variety between them, like different areas you can choose between in a run with their own enemies etc.

lih
May 15, 2013

Klyith posted:

I've mentioned this before, but Hades 1 they only had 1 year of work after the previous game (pyre) before the EA launch, then 2 years in EA. This time they've had way more time of regular production work. So I'm expecting a much shorter EA period. Or a much bigger game.

There are plenty of good things about the early access concept, but one big negative thing is that it slows the dev process way down. It's much slower to work on software when you have to keep it functional the whole time.

yeah they've said early access will be at least as far along content-wise as hades 1 was ~10 months before full release

it sounds like early access will launch in the next month or so too

lih
May 15, 2013

i'm impressed by how thoroughly they seem to be reinventing things here, there seems to be a ton of new systems and mechanics

lih
May 15, 2013

dmboogie posted:

gods i've encountered so far: (sample size too low to really guess their gimmicks in a lot of cases)

Apollo: dazes, daze can cause enemies to randomly fail to damage you
Aphrodite: applies weakness, i don't remember if weakness is different now
Artemis: same crit stuff as in 1, but she appears randomly to help like Thanatos
Demeter: freezes like in 1
Hestia: fire theme, damage over time
Hephaestus: gives your attacks a chance to do Big Damage Procs (on a cooldown)
Poseidon: same as in 1, a combination of knockback and 'greater reward' boons
Selene: appears to be the replacement for Calls, she gives strong abilities that need to be charged by spending mana
Zeus: applies lightning debuff that explodes for damage

hermes has been mentioned but hasn't appeared yet, seems like he'll be a later plot unlock

no ares yet but given the theming of the game theres no way he isn't around imo

they confirmed this is all the gods in the current version of the game during the stream, but i doubt it'll be all the gods - i expect they'll add at least a few more during early access just like the first game. they did mention helios during the stream, though not in a way that directly implied they'd appear or anything. i think it's pretty likely that they do appear though.

it's also worth emphasising selene gives a notably different class of boons than the others, similar to hermes in 1.

lih
May 15, 2013

people have datamined the technical test and found portraits of what appears to be the following characters: hermes, eris, heracles, the fates, chronos (of course), icarus, polyphemus, and a singing sea monster who is maybe scylla or charybdis?

lih
May 15, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just read Circe and want them to add Circe like this is just Greek smash bros

they seem to be heavily drawing on the odyssey this time (compared to the first which was drawing more on the iliad) so i really wouldn't rule it out especially given the game's focus on magic

lih
May 15, 2013

i didn't buy the first until shortly before the full release so i am looking forward to experiencing new content get gradually added in early access

lih
May 15, 2013

oh cool that was quick

lih
May 15, 2013

lol instead of 'as much content as hades 1 had when it launched on steam' they've gone for 'more content than the hades 1 full release' ?!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Death to Chronus lades

(bit irked they've spelt it Chronus and not Cronus. Cronus is a separate figure from Chronus - Cronus is the canonical father of Hades)

they seem to have made a point of merging the two characters

lih
May 15, 2013

Pierson posted:

It feels like right now it's as big as Hades 1 at 1.0.

they outright said it's already bigger

i've made it to the act 3 boss so far, also found a bunch of curiosities like asphodel?

has anyone found anyone who will actually go to the hot springs with you? everyone i've tried refuses

i'm impressed that there already seems to be a bit more variety between runs than the first - not that it really got to be a problem in 1 until you were like 50 hours in, but it's very welcome

lih fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 7, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Dora and Moros will.

moros refused just like the others, maybe i just need to have done something else before anyone will go in the hot springs

lih
May 15, 2013

they're committed to keeping saves working throughout all of early access

lih
May 15, 2013

i'm very impressed that there is the game is already substantially bigger than 1 was and has fixed most of its weak points already

jimmydalad posted:

Also, I have a feeling that there is something up with Melione. The biggest indicator that something was wrong was when I got to the final area and Cerberus refuses to be petted by you. Something must be wrong.

i get the impression that they are setting up some sort of twist with her parents. i don't really know what it's going to be but her relationship to her apparent family really doesn't seem like it's going to be anywhere near as straight forward as hecate claims it is

lih fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 7, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

it's fine, there isn't anything super secret hidden behind 100% in the first game that this one relies on or anything like that

lih
May 15, 2013

i like the new metaprogression a lot more, it feels more purposeful than the first game's where you just kinda had to grind out currencies. this time a lot of it is more directly linked to progress through the game, given that many of the new resources are generally area-specific, so you need to have had a few runs make it to a certain area a few times or beaten a specific boss a few times in order to unlock things, and progression isn't as gated behind beating each boss with each weapon like it was in the first game.

lih
May 15, 2013

a lot of the sprints aren't very good or useful but hestia's is extremely good and poseidon's is pretty strong. the balance there does need a bit of tweaking overall because there's quite a discrepancy

a lot of the strongest builds i've had have just been built around spamming omega attack/cast/special with a good source of magic regeneration. the main balance issue there is just that some of the regeneration boons are a lot better than others, but you can pretty much always manage to find one of the decent ones if you need one.

lih
May 15, 2013

bewilderment posted:

In terms of how you're 'meant' to use it, the names for Torch 'normal' and 'special' are reversed - you're meant to rely on the spinny flames as your primary damage-dealing, best I can tell, and only holding down the primary attack when it makes sense to be doing that because you outrange/stunlock an enemy.

like pretty much all the weapons, you can focus on either depending on which boons you get but without any boons the special is stronger by default yeah. it's the most unintuitive weapon for sure but i don't think it's really weaker or anything, just weirder

one area that does feel like it needs a major balance pass is the hexes, they've generally been very underwhelming and/or difficult to use effectively in practice. the exception is just moon river (the healing one) which is quite good but also just so much more useful than the others at the moment. most of the infusion-related boons have been underwhelming too in my experience so far.

lih fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 9, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

mp is really not much of an obstacle with any of the decent regeneration boons.

i think the only omega attacks (out of the default aspects) i haven't managed to build around yet are the daggers standard attack, and the staff special, but both seem like they could still easily be built around - with the daggers you probably want to build around backstabbing i guess.

lih
May 15, 2013

hera/hephaestus/zeus are the olympians who need the most work at the moment. hitch never really seems to have much of an impact, blitz takes a while to pay off and even then it doesn't seem to be that good most of the time, and hephaestus's boons just don't really scale that well

lih
May 15, 2013

Owl at Home posted:

Has anyone woken him up yet? Don't spoil anything if you have, I don't want to know how, or under what circumstances, I just want confirmation if it's something in the early access version or if we have to wait.

it's definitely not in the current version

lih
May 15, 2013

how does the aspect of persephone work? i've never noticed it do anything, there doesn't seem to be any indication of when you get 'glory' at all?

lih
May 15, 2013

oh that's completely unintuitive, it must fill too slowly to be at all noticeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

There are 2 types of Cast boons: ones that affect the Omega effect and ones that change the cast itself. You probably had either the Cast boon from Zeus that makes the Cast ranged and deals 1 lightning strike, or you replaced his Omega Cast boon with Hera's.

Basically you should check whether the description says Cast or Omega Cast to tell the difference.

this isn't true, some of the boons that only affect the omega cast take up the cast slot, and some of the boons that only affect the cast itself take up the cast slot.