Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I just got this and I'm wondering what to spend Titan Blood on at first, since it seems like these six are all I get untill I beat the game. So far my favorite weapon had been the bow, but I'm unsure if it'll be a good investment for my limited Blood supply. Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree, I really think that whole sequence could've been stretched out a little bit more, but I think they wrote it around the expectation that you'd fail frequently during the 10-chain -- but the game's balance works out such that once most players get their first win they get the next several wins in pretty rapid sequence.

I dunno, I got my first win with the Chiron Bow on a really strong set of boons and I've been unable to replicate it since.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

I had been saving up for another death defiance but stubborn defiance looks pretty insane. I'd say I usually die on bosses but not always, and having one resurrect per chamber seems pretty great

As another new person, I'm not really a fan of Stubborn Defiance because the points where I need it the most tend to be the boss fights, specifically the Elysium boss and the final boss. One use per room isn't as useful to me as 3 uses on a troublesome boss, even if it is theoretically less uses.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Early on I was neglecting getting calls because there was a lot of instances where they'd go unused, or I wouldn't build them up fast enough, but they end up being a big deal for bosses 3 and 4.

I only have a few kills on the last boss, and most of them owe a lot to the fact that Artemis' call will absolutely chunk his health bar by 25-33% in one shot.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If I hit Styx and I'm pretty sure that the run is gonna bomb, I sell off boons after the Elysium boss is dead if it will boost me up to the threshold for the diamond or blood. That way I get something for the run.

Starting with the Hypnos keepsake helps a lot too, as does the mirror skill that lets you start with bonus gold.

Other than that, just practice practice practice. When you get better you'll take less damage and so save more gold, and you'll get a better sense of when you need to spend on boons or hearts or whatnot.

I can reliably hit Styx without spending gold now, but it took me 60 ish runs to do it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

The sword, especially, fucks me up on bosses, because it has no options where you don't need to get in close.

The easiest way to run the sword early on is to drop 2 Titan Blood on the Aspect of Poseidon and run it as a pure cast build. Get the extra bloodstone upgrade from the mirror, then just find a strong cast boon and start blasting motherfuckers with it. The sword in this build is really only used to dislodge bloodstones from bosses so you cast cast them again. You can do some crazy damage with this setup and the right boons, and since the majority of the damage is from the cast there's not as much temptation to try and stand and bang with the sword, which is usually what get you killed.

One thing to note about Aspects is that the game only saves when you enter the room. You can spend bloods on an Aspect and test it on Skelly, and as long as you do not leave the room you can just quit from the menu and then go back into the game to recover all the Blood you spent on it. It's a nice way to test things out when you're still low on bloods.

Deformed Church posted:

My hot boon tip for this and the last boss is to build around "fire and forget" style damage. Blade rifts are ideal, especially if you can snag the homing bonus. If you've got Dionysus the hangover call is really good, it does good work without much other investment. I think rupture also works on bosses even if they don't actually get knocked back, can someone confirm?

I think Doom is the best for this because it really encourages a hit-and-run style. Get in, land the doom, get out, repeat. No building stacks of chill/hangover, no need to worry about maintaining stacks, no worries about positioning rifts. It works great with the Spear because it excels at safe long distance pokes.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How do you use the shield without sucking? It's my worst weapon by far. So slow and grindy. While it's the safest weapon because of the block, my damage is usually so low that I end up getting bogged down. My one victory with the shield didn't even use the weapon, honestly. The vast majority of the damage was caused by getting the blade rift dash and my cast.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm graduating away from forcing Athena dash all the time and the problem I'm having is that I keep on intentionally dashing into projectiles to deflect them and end up taking them to the face. :(

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Of Arthur just feels so satisfying to use even in encounters where you don't drop Hallowed Ground, the heavy swings are great.

I stack up Weak and Hallowed Ground and other damage resistance sources and then facetank Hades and Asterius to death. Super satisfying to just ignore the mechanics and power them down.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The advice you guys gave me about the Shield really helped. Once I stopped trying to play defensive with it and just started smashing faces with it things went a lot better.

Now that I'm less lovely with the Shield, how do you use the Fists properly? I keep getting murdered in Elysium with them. My only fist wins have generally been on the back of cast/dash based strategies that could have worked with any weapon type.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh, I know, but since the points aren't refundable, I worry that I won't like whatever I choose, and then it'll be a ton of farming to get some other aspect leveled. Trying stuff out is pricey.

When you're in the House of Hades the game only saves when you enter a room. This means you can test things for free on Skelly as long as you then quit after testing without leaving the room, because it doesn't save after you spend the blood.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Serephina posted:

FO doesn't muck with your iframes so much as highlight how few you actually get. You'll notice this since your timings are now all totally off!

Yeah, this hosed me up hard and ruined a perfectly good run for me. Made it to the final boss with full death's defiance charges and just got absolutely loving rocked. I think I ate every spin slash he threw trying to dash out of the way of it.

I ended up having to resort to a Shield+Doom build to get past FO so I could turtle through things.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Chill, hangover,

Crits are extremely good on Chiron special
I've been routinely underwhelmed by crits on the Chiron special. The damage never seems to be as useful as getting hangover/chill.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ErKeL posted:

Guan Yu would be amazing if you could throw off spinning death discs without having to stand still and get romped.

Its gimmick ends up being a trap for most of the game because you're going to get slammed trying to heal on hits you probably could've just dodged out on any other weapon.
Wouldn't even bother with it on FO2.

Guan Yu is all about boosting up the special and getting an Artemis boon on it so you can lob 1000 damage death harpoons across the arena. The spin is just used to farm up a few points of health when there's only one enemy left and it's safe to do so, or when you can safely lob it over a terrain obstacle into a crowd.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Get the Artemis flourish on Guan Yu and then aggressively hunt for chaos boons that boost the special. Then run around hurling gigantic piercing death harpoons across the battlefield.

I like to pair it with the Ares boon that gives you +150% damage on your next attack after you kill something, and the Artemis marking boon. Toss a special at a marked target, kill it with a crit, then toss at the next marked target and one shot that one too. Repeat until everything is dead.

Only use the life steal spin to farm health when you know it's safe. Dashing across a terrain feature and charging it while the last few melee guys path around it, that kind of thing.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 21, 2020

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Wait, do you have her bond? And you've not seen the events I referenced???

:psypop:

It can happen after you get her bond, it happened that way for me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

The 'recharge all death defiances' with Patrocolus is such a joke. :lol: I basically always get there with 3 and then Theseus and Styx whittle them down. :/

Fight Asterius away from Theseus, and use the pillars to break Theseus's LOS on you when you see the crosshairs appear on yourself.

The easiest way to fight them is probably going Ares-heavy and boosting up Doom. Poke them with Doom, evade for a few seconds until Doom pops, repeat. It's an extremely safe strategy because it never requires you to just stand and bang to do your damage. You can kill them just by poking them with a ranged special every few seconds.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Demeter is fine in large rooms and murder in small ones.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Guan Yu is better if all you want to do is mash the special. Reduced health is a bastard, yeah, but the special is a giant piercing murder harpoon with four digit crits.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

minya posted:

The only companion I use is Dusa. Or whatever the companion's name is, maybe Fidi?

I love that she lasts for 30 seconds and does plink damage over time. It's probably less overall damage than the other summons, but... the fact that she lasts for 30 seconds just makes it feel better to me.

I used to feel this way, but the big burst damage of Thanatos is just too good to pass up. He'll tear huge chunks of health off of Theseus and Asterius, it makes the fight a lot easier.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That was the easiest spear run I've ever had, probably because I almost never actually had to use the spear.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I feel like the key to making Artemis work is the Marked debuff on slow weapons. Kill an enemy with a giant Arthur critical and it marks another enemy for another giant murder crit. With something like the Arthur swordor the Guan Yu special you can easily one shot unarmored enemies with an easy crit chain. The Ares "+150% damage to next attack after killing an enemy" boon is also great with this.

Anyways, here's my personal tier list:

1) Athena. Powerful attack bonuses, deflect is useful, exposed is a huge damage boost if you can backstab, and probably the best call in the game.

2) Aphrodite. Powerful attack bonuses, useful and longlasting debuff that’s easy to apply for the “+40% damage with two debuffs” mirror trait. Great call.

3) Artemis. Great attack bonuses, crits are super powerful, loses out to the other two because of the lack of debuffing and I dislike her dash boon. Bonus damage on dash attack is great but only on some weapons, and I like being able to apply debuffs via dashing.

4) Demeter. Chill is always good, it’s easy to apply for the +40%, she has a great cast, and strong damage boosts to attack.

5) Ares. Doom is good and strong, and so are blade rifts. Suffers from the need for a heavy focus on his boons, and suffers again from having two distinct and separate paths in his tree. Strong call.

6) Zeus. Great on fast weapons, meh on slow weapons. Needs a lot of focus into Zeus boons before he starts to shine.

7) Dionysus. Needing to stack hangover makes him less good against multiple enemies. Festive Fog is good, but dependent on a lot of duo boons to really shine.

8) Poseidon takes last place largely because knockback often actively fucks me over. I generally either want to go all in on Poseidon or I don’t want to see him at all.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

kaleedity posted:

There's just not enough to make you invincible. The last boss also has a "you take more damage" debuff. That said, making said last boss hit you for like 14 with his big swing when you have 400hp and 3x death defiance and 30%+ dodge is something you can do.

On lower heat levels, at least, you can straight up tank the final boss with Arthur aspect if you have Aphrodite attack and decently high health. Drop the special, face him, and bang away.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My list of worst Hammers.

Sword: Dash Nova. It changes how my special works without doing enough to make up for the fact that it fucks with my muscle memory. Leaves me routinely overshooting the target.
Spear: Flaring Spin. If an enemy is close enough to be affected by the nova, I'm not going to be charging my spin.
Shield: Dashing Flight. Just awkward to use. IMO none of the shield hammers are actively bad, so this one is more "least good" as opposed to "most bad".
Bow: Explosive Shot. Charging slower is an instant no.
Fists: Quake Cutter. The damage isn't worth getting stuck in the slow-rear end animation.
Rail: Spread Fire. The range reduction just does not work for me. I think this hammer might be good if you get it in early Tartarus so you can build around it, but most of the time when I see it I'm already halfway down some build path that's incompatible with it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Emu is only five points, I wouldn't waste a triple word score on that unless you have no other options.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

I tried Guan Yu for the first time and I hated it.

Guan Yu's attack got buffed but it still sucks. If you want to get the prophecy for it completed your best bet is buffing the poo poo out of the special and playing it like a ranged weapon.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Artelier posted:

Since the floating head one was explained, can this one be too?

Say "Maid Dusa" out loud.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

What are some fun combos to go with the hidden sword aspect? Not quite sure how to play it well.

On lower heat levels it's possible to stack health and damage reduction sources and just facetank bosses to death. I've killed the final boss several times with a battle plan of "stand in my special and attack his face repeatedly."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kuros posted:

The timing is really tight. If you get a "Catch" I believe it's 95% chance of common fish and 5% chance of rare fish. A perfect catch, which means you pressed the button within 0.34 seconds of the bob dropping is a 95% chance of a rare fish and 5% chance of a legendary fish.

One thing to note with fishing is that there will never be more than three fake hits, so if you get three fake hits then you know the next one has to be the real thing.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ButtWolf posted:

For yall newbies: IMO Chiron bow is the easiest clear. Get something like Arty/Aphro/Ares on the attack, then Dio/Zeus on special. Like i said earlier too stacking Pos/zeus all over will wreck poo poo too. On hammers, chain/point blank with relentless/conc volley works great. It was my second clear, but it was about 5x faster than my first.

Zeus on special is wasted. Zeus has a short cooldown period and you won't get one proc per arrow off of the Chiron special.

If you want the powerhouse Chiron run you want Aphrodite on attack, Artemis on special, and you want to fish for their Heart Rend duo boon for +150% critical damage on weak targets. poo poo will melt.

Omobono posted:

But yeah, dash boons are somewhat underpowered. Athena is the only one that actually boosts the dash's primary function and Poseidon is the only one that can deal actual damage through wall slams.

The Ares 'blade rift on dash' boon can absolutely shred things, especially if you have any other talents to back it up.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Spergatory posted:

At higher heat levels, Stubborn Defiance is a necessity. You will die, the only question is how much.

Can anyone explain to me how the normal sword isn't the worst weapon? I keep trying movesets that aren't Excalibur and they all just feel really unsatisfying. Not even Poseidon felt like it was worth using when the trade off was "you have the sword moveset."

Because the Spear exists.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Same, but the spear. The spear is still my favorite, though no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to get anything out of the hidden aspect. Healing 1 point per hit on the charge attack just does not compensate for halving your health. Fortunately I've since come to realize that the Hades aspect is really good. If you get the +AoE hammer, you can clear every room in Tartarus in a single swing.

Play the secret spear like a ranged weapon. It's all about bombing people with huge death harpoons.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ouroboros posted:

Just got this game and it rules, I have a feeling I must be doing something wrong though; is Hades meant to be such a massive difficulty spike? I can get to him fairly reliably now and I just as reliably instantly eat poo poo every time. He just does so much loving damage, even when I get there with a huge hp pool and a death defiance or 2 in the bag, he just 2 shots me then kills me again before I can do anything. One time I managed to get to phase 2 just because I had such insane damage but I still died within about 10 seconds of the fight starting

I found that the easiest way to beat him early on was using Ares' Doom attacks on the Shield's special. Plink away with the Doom effect for damage and hide behind the shield when he does poo poo you can't dodge.

It's slow and boring but extremely safe and it's very mechanically forgiving because all you have to do is fling a ranged special at him every few seconds.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

For the bow, the posters who helped me above were correct. Take Chiron, get it upgraded as high as you can, then get a stacking effect like Chill or Hangover on the special and a lingering one like Weak on the attack. Artemis' seeking arrows can pile onto it too, but not as well as the rail. Hammers are just gravy at that point.

Artemis on the special can absolutely destroy poo poo too, especially with the Aphrodite attack and their duo boon. For this it’s best to do the 5% per god mirror thing instead of the 2 affliction one, though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Red Bones posted:

I put a bunch of blood into chaos to up the number of shields it spat out but it really doesn't do it for me, I think because the regular shield throw is auto aim and all the extra chaos ones aren't. Do they even bounce off the walls? It felt like the extra ones weren't really doing anything.

Launch them at point blank and shotgun the enemy with them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The alternate modes are all extremely good, but the base model gun is kinda poo poo imo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Omobono posted:

Two, the final boss' urns count.

Huh. Didn't realize that. Does the hidden sword let you ignore the urn damage then?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Not really feeling Guan Ya though. I struggle to be effective with the charge attack. The attack is slow to do, it refers very little HP, yet decreases your total health significantly. I’m not really seeing any benefit to this aspect.

Guan Yu is a ranged weapon. Buff the poo poo out of the special and fling giant death harpoons at things.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It took me until the 50s to get my first kill, you'll get there.

That said, god mode does not lock you out of anything. It's just a damage reduction that increases gradually when you die, not actual invincibility.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

When I managed to die to a spike trap, he asked if I had tried not being there when they popped out.

If you dash you can get off the spike trap after it activates but before you take damage, so you actually can not be there when they pop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The big thing here is that you need to use your first six blood carefully, because you will not get access to more of it until you kill the final boss.