Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Finally beat the final boss for the first time :toot:

Got an early hammer and an Artemis boon for the spear that made the special into an exploding projectile that crits for some 400 damage, which frankly carried me most of the game. It doesn't sound particularly special compared to some of the other things in the game, but it did it for me. That and deflect on attack and dash, the duo boon that turns deflects into crit chance, and Artemis's free arrows. A significant portion of the run was just Zagreus dashing around wildly while making GBS threads out arrows and things exploding everywhere.

Haven't reproduced the success yet, but now that I have Heat I can at least try some more of the alternate weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

SlyFrog posted:

Final boss? I thought they had not put that in yet and you couldn't complete the game?

What currently counts as the last boss.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Lekon posted:

So far though, the funniest part of the game for me is easily:

My first impression of that character when I first met him was that he's just an enormous tsundere for Zagreus, so that entertains me just to know. :allears:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I recall at least one god explicitly mentioning Hephaestus by name and expressing surprise that he hasn't given you any of his boons. Whether that's an indication that they intend to add him, or that they don't intend to add him, I don't really know.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Magitek posted:

You can see the relevant portion of the trailer here. Given the cornucopia it's probably Demeter, Goddess of agriculture and mother of Persephone. Hestia and Hera are also possibilities.

Totally Demeter. Those are stalks of wheat around her head, too (as opposed to laurels).

kaschei posted:

4. Why am I constantly trying to "catch" the bottle the green bottle flinger drops on death? I will literally dash in and try to "interact" with the flipping bottle, especially if it's the last enemy on screen when it dies. Only for green bottle, not the others.

You and me both. I don't know what it is about it.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 19, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

So, can someone explain the Hera aspect of the bow a little for me? I took it for a spin last night and, like, I beat the run so that's great and all, but I don't think I fully understand how it works and the description isn't very clear in the first place.

I get that it changes your cast so that you kinda shoot the spell with the bow instead of what it normally does. But sometimes it seemed the spell fires when the arrow hit something, and sometimes it just seemed to do it in mid-flight. I also don't get if loading multiple spells into it actually does anything - late in the run I had 7 spell ammo from a combination of Artemis and Chaos boons, but putting 7 blood thingies in there didn't seem to do 7 times the damage, and the number of crystals on the enemy's health bar seemed to vary drastically when I did it, from 1 to 4 (but never 7). I'd say what happened most often was a single crystal would appear on their healthbar, and X seconds later they would drop a single one on the field, which would replenish my entire stock when picked up.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Hera aspect is very cool. Think about the implications of being able to simultaneously deliver all of your casts to a single location with great accuracy.

Well that's just the thing, like I said, when I tried smashing 7 bloodstones into a single arrow, I'm fairly certain the enemies I fired it at didn't take 7 spells worth of damage because I'm pretty sure that would've one-shot them. It was way more like a single cast. So how is it intended to work?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It was Poseidon's cast. I'm mostly basing my estimation on how much a single bloodstone did (about half a health bar on the enemies I tested it on) as opposed to 7. I can understand if it was a little off because of not factoring in the base attack damage, but 7 times off is a bit too much for it to be a simple mistake. There's also that weird thing it did I mentioned where only a single bloodstone showed on the health bar of the enemy that it got embedded in, but when it popped out later I still recovered all casts by picking it up.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Poseidon pushing enemies out of the radius makes sense, although it's a bit disappointing.

Mzbundifund posted:

I used the Hera aspect last night with the Artemis cast and I'm pretty sure it's bugged in some way.

... then again, that also sounds like what I experienced. I'll have to give it a go with some other cast and see if I can reproduce it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

I used the Hera aspect last night with the Artemis cast and I'm pretty sure it's bugged in some way. I would load up all my casts into an arrow, shoot a guy, and he would take 1 cast's worth of damage and only get 1 bloodstone icon on the enemy. Then even though it showed my available bloodstone total as 0/3, if I right-clicked again it would suddenly realize I had 2/3 bloodstones left and update the display accordingly. It didn't happen all the time, but it seemed to happen more often if I was shooting at enemies at the limit of my normal arrow range or offscreen.

I just went in the game again and yeah, this kept happening to me for sure, although I don't know why or if it's even a bug or what. I was using the Aphrodite cast this time, and sometimes I would be able to load three ammo into the shot (indicator showing 0/3), hit an enemy and have only a single bloodstone show up. It was then possible to immediately load two more (indicator first going to 1/3, then to 0/3 again) and fire them. Or rather, it seems only one bloodstone counted in the first place. It doesn't happen every time, sometimes two stones make it into the enemy, sometimes only one. I bet if I had more ammo any variation could happen. Very strange, but feels a lot like a bug.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a bug. You should hit F10 in game and report it.

Are you on EGS or Steam? I just tried this out and it seems to be working as intended for me with and without boons. Weird.

Yep, reported it. Steam version. It updated the other day, so I assume they're the same across stores?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

If anyone's curious, and I guess just to prove to myself I'm not crazy, here's a video I managed to capture of it. Keep a close eye on the bloodstone tracker in the bottom left. https://gfycat.com/shortrichcreature

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Finally finished the game with the Adamant Rail. I'm not particularly fond of that thing; the ammo mechanic is too awkward for me, usually. However, with the triple grenade launcher, the faster main attack, even faster main attack via Hermes upgrade, the Artemis cast and upgrade that doubles your spell casts, the other upgrade that makes you fire another arrow when you do things, extra ammo and +88% cast speed, you essentially become a Macross robot with missile launchers on full blast.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It's all right with Poseidon's attack boon because the pushback can carry enemies all the way to the other side of the stage, or into whatever other obstacle is nearby. So if you stack up on pushback effects you can pretty much nail targets to a wall and stop them from doing anything. But it's pretty rare that that's actually a viable way to clear an entire room.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I'm on 10 runs already, are weapon upgrades supposed to unlock past a certain point then?

Have you unlocked all five weapons yet? Fairly sure that's what triggers it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The bow, despite being buggy as poo poo and seemingly randomly deciding how many spells to pack into your arrow, is still obscenely strong even with minimal investment. Nothing else so far has been able to match that damage output for me.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Any idea what the missing monster from this list is? (Spoilered just in case, but it's not really a big spoiler). I've done 50+ runs by now and whatever it is just has never popped up. From where it is in the list I assume it's in the last area, but I have no idea what it could be or why it isn't spawning.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Having to stand still to charge up the spin/sweep puts me off of ever using it, so I don't like the Hades spear much. Possibly it's better against bosses where you can make full use of the damage bonus (it seems to last quite a while).

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, the spin would be fine if you didn't have to stand still to use it. Even a small movement penalty would be okay, but the game is just too fast paced and dash-heavy to justify stopping entirely like that, especially as you have to get pretty close for it to actually hit anything.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The green vase things in the final fight count as traps, too. I think. Got one-shot by those things on a run with that pact active.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Aphrodite's pink shotgun blast is one of the better casts, too, especially with the Hera bow.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Does anyone use the bow?

With the Hera aspect, it's bonkers fun and very strong. My highest Heat clears have been using that one. The base version of the bow? Eh... not so much.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Xaris posted:

Really? I used Aphro's cast with Hera bow and found it awful, it almost seemed buggy awful in that sometimes it seemed to work v well but most of the time it was a wet fart. I've had way more success with other casts like Poison Bog, Ares blade, or even chain lightning. I regretted it the whole run and should have purged it because it was just not working for poo poo.

The bow is buggy as poo poo, it seems, if the thread and my own observations are anything to go on. Sometimes it doesn't fire off all the casts and the UI gets confused. But when it works, it's really good. The reason I like the Aphrodite cast in particular is because it can deliver a lot of burst damage to a lot of foes at the same time, hopefully killing them, and dropping the bloodstones in a convenient location to pick up and repeat. Dionysus's fog and Ares's blade whirl lock your bloodstones up for so long and a lot of the time ends up being spent not hitting enemies when all you want to do is cast, recover, repeat. Plus, you miss out on taking advantage of the second ability on the bow if you never embed any bloodstones. On bosses it's even worse, as you miss out on the +50% damage dealt to enemies with bloodstones in them with those spells (not that you necessarily do a lot of Attack damage with the Hera bow anyway; it's mostly a delivery vehicle for your casts). Plus, cutting a boss's damage in half with the Weak debuff is real good, and some of the boons you can get make Weak enemies take more damage, which really makes the shotgun work.

Poseidon's cast is pretty good too, but it has a tendency to knock enemies away too much and his other boons are not very synergistic with the bow gameplay. I'm not terribly fond of Zeus, it performs so badly against single targets and against multiple targets you end up with your stones all over the place again. Now Artemis, there's a good one. More ammo for your casts, Exit Wounds to take advantage of the low stone drop time, double spellcasts and extra random arrows with all your casts. Slamming eight Aphrodite shotguns at the same time into a boss or group of enemies deals a shitload of damage.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

She starts using more abilities and attacks faster while rage is up, far as I know. I don't think you can really stop it from happening.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Ugh, what am I missing with the Guan Yu spear aspect? The drawback seems so backbreaking and the spin attack doesn't feel like it makes up for it at all. There's just no time to stand around and make use of it. Is there some trick I'm not getting?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Normal rooms aren't really the challenging part of any run anyway, so it works out fine there, but I just get my rear end handed to me by Theseus and the Minotaur even with a few health upgrades. It just feels like being constantly one-shottable by bosses isn't worth any of the stuff the aspect gives you. :shrug:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Holy poo poo critting for over 3000 damage with Holy Excalibur is pretty satisfying. Final boss's second phase ended almost immediately.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, the gun is... actually not the weapon I've used the least, that's the shield by a slim margin, but it's definitely the weapon I feel most awkward using. The reload mechanic sucks so much, and even with the reload button somewhere more convenient than the default I just can't get Hestia to feel right. Every time I use it I just pray to get the hammer upgrade that lets you not have to reload.

The fists on the other hand are the most fun poo poo ever, I'm real glad that got added.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

My favored attack pattern is to just never let go of the attack button and bash my face into enemies repeatedly over and over, I don't have time to waste reloading guns while dashing when I could be attacking while dashing. :colbert:

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 23, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm still missing a keepsake and I can't figure out from who. Did they add a character I haven't seen yet?

If you mean the last one in the list, you have to beat the game 10 times to trigger the proper ending.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I think my only real problem with the difficulty right now is that there isn't a lot of difference between heat levels (e.g. heat levels 1/2/3 play very similarly and so on), but I still have to play every single one to get the rewards and if I lose on the final boss, I have to repeat the whole heat level before I can get titan bloods and diamonds again. On the other hand I can't really think of a better way to do it. :shrug:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Is using a Greater Call in a challenge room against the god that gave it to you (the one that gives you an achievement) supposed to have some kind of drawback or backfire? I just got a new voice line from the god and then it went off as expected.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The Hera bow works fine with just one level, you can oneshot things with the right cast and then just go over there and pick up the bloodstones, the reduced drop time from higher levels doesn't matter much.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

My favorite part of Greek mythology was always the tiny chariots that meow at you, then blow themselves up.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

minema posted:

Can you see how far you've gone with each weapon? I can't remember which weapons I've killed the hydra with and want a diamond!

When you go to the door to start the game/select your heat level it'll show you which rewards you can still get. I think you can also check the stats in the back office room if you unlocked that?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, when someone posts about their ridiculous run where they were one-shotting enemies left and right and had 400 health and 30 seconds of invulnerability from a call and stuff, that's like, one run out of 20 and probably with upgraded weapon aspects and keepsakes and a maxed out mirror on top. But when there are 20 people posting their best run like that, it starts to look a lot like 20 great runs, and you wonder why your 20 runs haven't been like that, but it's all an illusion.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

Will I get to a point where I can equip multiple trinkets? I've decided to try to level them up in the first area and then switch to the tooth in the second.

No, you only have one keepsake slot. You can change it around if you get the renovation for it, but only the currently equipped one does anything. You will get companion summons eventually though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Time limit is basically 3 free heat right there, it's trivial to beat the game under 7 minutes per floor. I like the one that blanks the first hit on enemies because I like to play fists and other fast weapons, so it barely registers. More difficult minibosses is fine too, it's a small spike a few times during the run and that's that.

There's a fate list that gives a bunch of gems as a reward for the one that gives armored foes extra traits, so you might want to pick that one up just for the reward.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 25, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Between all these upgrades that's something like 65% damage reduction while punching people (dodge included), and my special inflicts weak so that's even less damage. Almost unkillable, nice run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

acyclicity posted:

Is there a trick to going faster, since I usually get 30-40 minute total clear times (I'm playing on Hell Mode if that makes a difference)? The later boss fights and Elysium just take forever.

Play aggressively, I guess? I'm just constantly mashing my face into enemies and spamming attack/dodge. Maximize your damage potential. There's no time for careful play.