Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Glare Seethe posted:

Think I'm mostly going to stay out of this thread until I beat the game at least once cause I haven't even met all the characters yet, but just wanted to say the game's super good and polished and addictive. I am not very good and in ten hours the furthest I've made it is chamber 37, but that's okay. The only thing it's missing for me is an in-game list of boons because there are so goddamn many I can't remember who offers what and sometimes you need to make a choice. Maybe I should count remembering those as getting better at the game.

You'll get there eventually! The boons can be hard to keep track of, but for gods, they're typically *status effect* added to *type of attack or dash*, and if you pick them further, it's *bonus effect* for *status effect*.

The only exception is Hermes (wings) because he is Speed God and all his buffs are some form of gotta go fast. Therefore I would argue he's a top pick of Boon for sure, since the others can be interchangeable. Sure, there are optimal picks, but if you're using your Special Attack a lot and you don't have a boon for it yet, just picking anything is a straight upgrade. You can even level it up, and if you switch to a different God's boon for that attack, the level will be retained.

The other big game change is Daedalus aka the hammer, which changes the properties of your attacks by upgrading the weapon you're equipped with. Also rare, but can be found as the very first pick even in the game, if you're lucky.

EDIT: The symbol I hate most is the one for gold because I'm still picking it sometimes going "Uh, which guy is this again" followed by dammit I'm rich come onnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Iirc, it's unlock all weapons -> finish a run (die or maybe win) -> come back, Skelly says weapons are weird, can change aspects

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

At 5 heat, I just maxed out time limit on the pact of punishment, and it became a "speedrun" of sorts.

Pretty sure you can still blow my time away by at least 5 minutes but quite happy with this. All the criticals!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So for the Temple of Styx...is there any way to know which one is the correct chamber?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've gotten it on the first chamber before though. Also got it in a boss chamber once, but only once, in 31 runs.

It's the main thing that adds time when blasting through the game, so I was wondering if there's a way to tell.

I do believe it's weighted to a non-boss room at least.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Dias posted:

Nope, just counted as a "give up". :geno:

in case you guys are unaware, give up isn't "eat a loss", give up is "reset to just before you start the run, with the same room order, boons offered, etc"

so alt+f4 is to reset the latest room you're in, and give up is to start the run with the same seed, so to speak

oh and quit is "we auto saved so you can just leave now and come back to this exact spot"

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

afaik one off effects are once per run

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

For Elysium boss, I find it's relatively low risk to dash away when the fight begins to split the two up. Minotaur will try to get in close as melee, while King will just toss his spear, so you only look out for that homing sound.

For Minotaur, just stand behind him when he does his melee attack. It will most of the time be two melee, into either: nothing, a three way fireball, or slow homing lunge attack into sometimes a second lunge. The option that beats all three is basically at the end of his second melee attack, dash attack into him. If it's the fireballs, you should dash through, if it's the lunge, you should hit first, then he jumps, so dash again past him and hit. Bull charge is intimidating but mostly just spam dash. Key thing is to not turn while not dashing, as that loses speed. Try to kill Minotaur first.

For King, you mostly want him to be stuck throwing spears. Once the homing sound is almost done, dash past him to his back, squeeze a lot of hits in - after catching his spear again, he tends to walk directly away from you, so this is your chance to do lots of hits. His spin spear attack has an audio cue on top of a visual cue, but I feel it's pretty fast, so if in doubt, put some distance in between.

When he does his Call, you should do your Call too the moment his invincibility is down since he's not guarding at this point. If you have loads of life, try to trade shots until he dies. Otherwise, expect to do lots of Dash Attacks.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ILL Machina posted:

I've got it on the upper left paddle on my elite controller. Putting reload on the right one back there changed the rail for me forever.

Wait...there's a manual reload button? HOW HAVE I MISSED THIS ALL THIS TIME

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

if you play fast, the time limit is a free two heat, and if you play really fast, it's a free five heat

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Xaris posted:

Elysiun cut it loving close with less than 1 minute because I kept having dick shield bearer

Yup, that's the only bottleneck I find personally. Not sure what happens if you run out of time, presumably you just explode and die. Gotta be a more reliable way to clear them all the time.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is it just me, or is performance much worse on this new patch? I feel like the hit effects tend to get frame drops. Made me die a lot against tiny chariots (lost 3 death defiances to them), and my streak is broken when I reached Hades.

I thought it was a resolution thing, or a fullscreen / windowed / borderless thing, but messing around with various options gave the same outcome. Not sure if I'm missing something.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

how do i unlock new spear aspect? is it just usual titan blood? asking because the option didn't appear when i popped it open earlier, though that might be a bug

EDIT: afaik, god boon trinkets are once a run

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have fists, but I have no idea how to unlock the 4th aspect of the Spear. Do I need to win/die more with it or what? I'm like four runs in currently.

That said, fists are fun. Like a higher damage sword so far. GET OVER HERE

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

depending on play style, i feel the "safest" is always time limit. free 2 or 5 heat!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I mean...we can all do that. That's what the Quit/Give Up* option is in the menu. No need to backup saves or anything, just initiate a fight and get out.

* I forget which is which; one saves your progress up to the room, the other just "ends the run" but you restart on the same seed again.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

Run 34 and I still can't beat this game (Final boss is the worst) Any must have tips?

For specifically the final boss:
Phase 1
You can destroy the skull head adds; this is important, especially early on when you're not used to him. Being hit directly with this doubles the damage of the next attack you get hit with.
He has a dashing spin attack, which you might have seen in Elysium's boss. The timing to dodge through is tight but doable when you get used to it. Also note that he can switch his aim towards you for a short while that might not be reflected in the targeting cursor for it.
Kill all the spawns ASAP.
Iirc he stops for a brief second before doing any move, so if he's walking around or something, it's fine to hit him.

Phase 2
His spinny attack is now preceded by two slashers, like Minotaur.
Triple lasers is probably the "best" move, because you can dash to the other side and wail on him.
When doing room filling lasers, you can hide in the upper left corner of the room. Otherwise YOLO and trade hits, or dodge in close range; you can afford to do this if you have a lot of health/death defiances left.
The pots that appear trap you if you pass over them or if they crack when you're too close, usually b y some sort of attack. I would try to clear these first when not familiar with the fight.

Personally, I try to get a "good" Phase 1 so I can just ignore a lot of the gimmicks in phase 2 with ALL THE HEALTH.

For both phases, there's a way to not take damage from pretty much all attacks. If in doubt and you want to learn, there's no harm in dodging forever to train yourself for his tells.

Good luck! It took me quite a few tries between reaching the final boss the first time and actually wining.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Serephina posted:

I've not booted up the game in a few months now, I think I'm honestly going to take my own advice and just abstain until 1.0, or at least until I know I'm not grinding hours that I'll just repeat later.

Oh, did they confirm that a save reset happens at 1.0?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Then I got Athena's dash.

Always beautiful every time.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have to say, Aphrodite's Call (Charm an enemy) with the "25% God Gauge but it refills constantly" is hilarious and basically an autowin. Oh Hello Asterius please kill your partner. And vice versa. Hello last boss be my friend for 7 seconds at the time. Wait, my Call is replenished within 7 seconds, what?

In other news, I have my new fastest time so far, Heat 7 sword (6 points of Tight Deadline, 1 of Extreme Measures):

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Played a bunch today.

16:41, fastest run yet. Zagreus Shield with maxed out

This one's my favourite run so far though, a minute behind. Immediately got the "arrows do more damage when hit consecutively" which made my Special attack into an amazing Shotgun. Over the course of the run, I managed to get 99% chance to Critical on Special, 4 extra shots per Special. Became silly. Basically an instant win. The only reason this run wasn't faster was because I messed up my close ranged aim in a few spots.

Anyway, I have reached the credits sequence in the game, but I have to ask, how do you fight Charon?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Serephina posted:

Only because you haven't found the pom bloom yet.

This is my new go to forever, it's incredible

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Dionysus' cast is great, it basically stunlocks an area and you don't have to worry about anyone there for a few seconds, try it!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Also, I'm pretty sure what boons are offered are weighted. So let's say you pick a cruddy Special Attack boon, you can sell it and you're much more likely to be offered another Special Attack boon. Often in the first area I'll just pick any Attack/Special Attack boons for the damage bonus but if I think I'll see the optimal pick in my run (maybe I picked up the correct God's boon but a different skill), I'll sell it ASAP.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've started closing my eyes and straining my ears. Sometimes I get a false catch but more often than not I get good ones.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Getting close to Sub-15, but I think this one was helped by being very lucky with finding Satyr Sack immediately...that said I didn't take every Charon room I could which probably would speed things along a bit.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I've made it to 2nd phase of final boss (are there any more?) 4 times and died each time. I've just been taking whichever weapon gives me the most Darkness, but is there something to be said for just beating the game once by practicing and continuously picking my favorite weapon?

If you just want to beat the game, sure, take whichever weapon you like the most.

That said, to improve against the final boss (or any enemy in the game really) the key is figuring out the timing to dodge, and that's weapon agnostic (though the timing of when you can attack changes a bit if you're on bow or gun). Always dash into the boss. If they stand straight hide behind a pillar. You'll definitely get it eventually! I also think that if you're taking Darkness, that means you probably don't have a lot of Mirror upgrades yet, so I recommend just sticking to picking whichever weapon gives the Darkness bonus.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

that tiny goddamned vermin is harder than hades i swear to god :argh:

Yeah Tiny Vermin is the hardest boss for me at this point. I only choose to do miniboss rooms if I have three Death Defiances in the tank...and I'm okay if I don't have any by the time I reach Hades.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

Man, Bull and Theseus. 3 tries now, best I've done is 1 down and bull to 20%. Progress. Kinda hard to avoid damage on that one w/ the huge AOEs.

Bull first. Both of them have phase 2s where they add a move, but Theseus' is way more problematic.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So are there any tells for which room is "correct" in Styx? I've done about 60 escape attempts at this point.

Generally, it is almost always the second or third non-boss room picked. However, I have had a run where it was the first room (only once, ever), and I have also had runs where it was in the boss room (you fight the boss in a small arena, and then you go into the normal fountain room). Only once I got it in the 5th room.

Just wondering because this variance really ruins any speedruns I try to set up, and can be the difference maker in level 3 Tight Deadline.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just tried maxed out Extreme Measures and I highly recommend it. Phase 3 was great

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Pennfalath posted:

Pause menu has an option I thought.

Nope, Pause Menu has "Give Up" which is basically "Reset everything to before this run started." If you want to end runs, spikes and lava are your friend.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fedule posted:

So, like, the Zeus/Aphrodite duo gives you a god gauge chunk in 5 seconds, and the Aphrodite call charms an enemy for 5 seconds. Seems reasonable.

It's faster than 5 seconds if you're doing damage! You can basically stunlock the last boss any single enemy with this. Just mash R2 forever!

Also don't forget the (I think) Hermes boon that makes you gain God Gauge automatically, and Zeus gain extra God Gauge from damage..

Artelier fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 27, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beIIdRId63o

This run got 15.00.06. Almost under 15 finally!

Except I would have been under 15 if I didn't get a 3 room Styx aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I also would've gotten under 15 if I played better but shhh

Also apparently the victory screen and the in game timer counts time slightly different; 15.00.07 and 15.00.06 respectively.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What are people's thoughts on Companions? I've only got Meg, Than, and Skelly, and normally I just run Meg (two summons) for quick burst, normally on Hydra 2nd reinforcements, the rest normally on problematic rooms, or if I'm generally okay, then dumping them into Elysium or Styx bosses.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

minya posted:

Does the mirror respec always cost 1 key or does that increase the more you do it?

Afaik it's only one key. You can always turn gems into keys so you have essentially infinite rerolls.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I too ran through the secret and final bosses with a shield, by hitting them in the face and forgetting it can block shots :colbert:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Do you get anything for big streaks? I’m on a 15 win streak and it’s making me play super carefully with my builds and heat selection because I don’t want to lose it where before I was just trying new combos constantly

Don't think so, I've gone 20+ before getting greedy with extreme measures 4 and didn't notice any difference during or after

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wafflecopper posted:

dude stands around for too long before and after the encounter and costs me precious seconds as i bash my head against 32 heat

while he steals seconds just before leaving, Afaik in the encounter time is paused so you probably actually gained time in his room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Protip: Don't fight the secret boss in the 5th room of Tartarus.