Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Question about the Pierced Butterfly: does the bonus damage it gives you stay with you for the rest of the run, or is it only applied while the keepsake is actually equipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

drat, figured as much, but I had hoped otherwise. Seems like it won't be too useful to me, then.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

The Nastier Nate posted:

if you're doing lambent plume or butterfly your committing to it for the entire run.

Yeah, I think I just prefer the utility of, like, the gods' keepsakes, to help me try and force a certain combination of boons. But then again, despite having finished 5 full runs, I STILL feel like I'm learning how the game works, so maybe I'm just bad.

I can certainly see how useful it could be though- if you get through all of Tartarus and Asphodel without taking damage that's, what, +30% damage? Maybe even more? And you have the opportunity to get it even higher depending on how Elysium and Styx treat you.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Just "beat" the story... and there's still so much I want to do, good lord. Best 25 bucks I've ever spent, I swear.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

runchild posted:

A build so bonkers it required two screenshots.

Here's a clip of it in action. The fight against [REDACTED] took less than 60 seconds.

...Stuff like this makes me wish there was some way to import another person's build and use it for yourself.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Torrannor posted:

Got the game a few weeks back. I'm making steady progress with my fated list of prophecies, having cleared all the legendary boons and about half of the duo boons. Can reliably clear the game on lower heat levels now. But for the life of me, I simply can't complete the "get all boons from Poseidon" prophecy. I'm specifically talking about getting the boon that is only available when you have Poseidon's cast (Rip Current). I'm wearing his keepsake, but even with using one reroll on default by now, I get offered Poseidon's call in less than 50% of all runs in the very first room. And when I finally pick it up, the option to pick Rip Current never comes up :mad:

I had the exact same issue not too long ago. You just gotta keep trying, it'll happen eventually. There are two things I can suggest though:

Incoming spoilers for Mirror perks you might not have yet

1. Swap the Olympian Favor perk for Dark Foresight. Dark Foresight gives you a greater chance of getting 'temporary' rewards- boons, hammers, Charon coins, etc.- at a rate of 2% per rank. More boons = more chances to get Poseidon's Call/Rip Current = higher chance of getting both.

2. Swap the Fated Authority Perk for Fated Persuasion. Each rank in Fated Persuasion gives you a die, and when you're give a choice of boons, you can expend 1 die to reroll the choices you were given. So if Poseidon isn't offering his Call or Rip Current you can reroll to try and force him to give it up.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I could imagine some DLC where through some flimsy excuse or another, you now have to fight the actual Gods themselves (replacing Hades at the end), and that removes their Boons from the reward pool (and maybe adds a Hades set?). Seems like a simple way to add some life and lines to the game.

I could see them going one step further: have Hades give you a new companion that lets you summon Cerberus, like how he does in EM4.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Just tried to Forced Overtime option for the Pact of Punishment...

...Yeah no gently caress that poo poo.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I swear, some duo boons are programmed to show up more or less often. Every time I've tried to go for Hunting Blades, it either never shows up or doesn't show up until Styx. Conversely, I can consistently get Crystal Clarity in Asphodel.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I'm aware of HOW to get Hunting Blades. The issue is that even when I start with Ares' keepsake, get Slicing Shot, switch to Artemis, then focus solely on those two for the rest of the run, Hunting Blades just never shows up. Again, conversely, using this same general setup, I can consistently get Crystal Clarity in Asphodel, or Elysium at the latest.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I once got the revenge duo boon and has like 4 revenge boons. Stuff would die before I could get to it, it was great.

Vengeful Mood is amazingly fun. I managed to get Zeus, Ares, Demeter, and Athena in my pool, then in Styx I switched to Aphrodite's keepsake and managed to get all 5 vengeance boons in time for the Hades fight.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Just beat Extreme Measures 4, and on my first try too. I remember seeing some stuff online, like how Hades gets a third phase and summons Cerberus but everything else sufficiently caught me off-guard.

serefin99 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 9, 2022

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Important note: among the possible boons Bouldy can give you is stuff like "+3% Ambiguity", which obviously does nothing. The actual helpful boons aren't anything gamebreaking, but it's good to know if you're some sort of min-maxer.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Another great duo for an easy win is Artemis/zeus. Every time i've for that the run becomes esentially free

Artemis/Zeus is very fun, especially if you can get Fully Loaded or extra casts from Chaos.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Anyone got a good synergy for the hidden aspect shield (can't think of the name right now) and casts? I tried one with poseidon but I'm curious if you've found something that's exceeded expectations.

The thing I always try to do with hidden shield is get Mirage Shot, the Poseidon/Artemis duo boon. It adds an extra projectile to your cast with 35% damage, so with the hidden shield, that makes each of your stones fire off two pulses instead of one. Except Mirage Shot is bugged on the hidden shield, and the extra pulses deal full damage, not 35%.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Mescal posted:

When you start new game+ does it only make the mirror available, without changing anything else? The description makes it sound like hard mode, but that wouldn't be.

Do you mean Hell Mode? Yeah, it's just a hard difficulty level. Run-down of everything it changes on the wiki here: https://hades.fandom.com/wiki/Hell_Mode

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Riven posted:

Is there anything in this game more reliably satisfying than saving up a fully charged Aphrodite or Artemis call, then right as Theseus makes his call just ending him immediately?

“Neat trick Theseus, I can do that too, but better.”

If you have Aphrodite, the call doesn't even need to be fully charged. Charming Theseus when he's using his own call causes him to focus the attacks on himself.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Sorbus posted:

Hunting blades is my favorite though.

I've complained about this before and will complain about it again: the game knows when I'm trying to go for Hunting Blades and adamantly refuses to give it to me before Temple of Styx.

Crystal Clarity for life. :colbert:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Item Getter posted:

I kind of forgot that Cast existed until getting the Demeter one, are any of the other ones good?

Poseidon cast works well as a panic button, just throw it out to knock all the enemies away. Also effective if you can pick up the Mirage Shot and Sea Storm duo boons.

I, personally, like Artemis' cast. With the right upgrades (re: anything that gives you extra casts), you can immediately take out like half an encounter the moment you enter a chamber.

Dionysus' cast is the single hardest hitting cast in the game, but it also turns the cast into a lobbed shot that lingers in the form of a cloud for a few seconds after landing. If you can pick up his duo boon with Zeus or Demeter, or even both of them, it becomes ridiculously effective.

Aphrodite's cast is the second hardest hitting, but doesn't come with the same downsides as Dionysus. The physics on it are also a little wonky, but in a good way: if you aim it properly, you can hit an enemy with it without lodging your stone in them, which will allow you to immediately pick it back up and just keep spamming the cast on them.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

B33rChiller posted:

shortest range, but hits the hardest, afaik.

Second hardest. Aphrodite's cast does 90 damage bare minimum, Dionysus' does 100 bare minimum.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Bad Purchase posted:

they’re working on a brand new concept - an action roguelite based on the roman pantheon

They could literally just copy/paste the exact mechanics, just give us new character designs and a new story, and I would still eat that poo poo up.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Chieves posted:

(SPOILERS for you, general question for the thread) I'm 16 runs in and just got to Hades' second form with the fists. I'm gonna try and grind up more upgrades before focusing on that again. I still need to get the third resurrection slot from the mirror. Are any of the alt/ green options better than the purples?

It heavily depends on your playstyle and the weapon you're using. For example, I would switch Shadow Presence to Fiery Presence if I were using the bow, because I'm not gonna be getting backstabs anyway. Infernal Soul gives more DPS right at the start of an encounter, but Stygian Soul gives better numbers overall from what I've heard (though I still prefer Infernal Soul anyway).

The only one that I feel is 'objectively' better than the purple ability is Fated Persuasion over Fated Authority. Authority lets you reroll room rewards, with the caveat that you can't reroll into the other category of rewards, i.e. you can't reroll gems into a boon, and you can't reroll obolls into nectar. In contrast, Persuasion lets you reroll your choices when you're offered a boon from a god, use a pom of power, or buy something from the Well of Charon, which gives you an AMAZING level of control over your build.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

And one of the boons is 450 (Hermes 500) when they're 150 everywhere else.

That's because that boon has increased rarity, like the boons you get from miniboss chambers.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Chieves posted:

IIRC the Chaos legendary just requires any other Chaos boon to be active. It's just a pain to get with such a limited selection chance.

Assault isn't Chaos' legendary. Assault gives you bonus damage against undamaged foes, but you need the Fiery Presence mirror talent active for it to show up.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Gun Jam posted:

So, aside from Hades himself, who do you think will come back from the original game?

(Also, HYPE)

I think there's an argument to be made for just about every character in the first game, but my personal bet is on Artemis and Dionysus. I think those two are probably the most 'fan favorite' of the gods from the first game, plus for Artemis specifically it would be REALLY WEIRD if they once again only had one half of the 'Artemis and Apollo' duo.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Balache404 posted:

Dio's also responsible for the Midas touch and he turned a bunch of pirates insane and into dolphins so those probably amount to something.

To be fair on the Midas Touch, wasn't that explicitly supposed to be a reward? Like Midas had done such a good job worshipping the gods so they came down and were like "Yo we'll give you LITERALLY ANY ONE THING YOU WANT"? Dionysus can't be blamed that Midas didn't think through his "everything I touch turns to gold" wish.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Byzantine posted:

So with Hades II getting announced I wanted to come back and actually finish the first game. Problem is I'm really bad at it; it took me 81 tries to escape the first time, and now at 150+ attempts I've only succeeded twice, both times with the Rail and the 300% damage grenades. (Granted that's ~120 attempts on PC with my two victories, now I've moved to PS4 where I just failed my 30th attempt.)

I have Stubborn Defiance and Greater Reflex but the other upgrades don't seem worth the investment except the Boon reroll that I haven't purchased yet. Likewise all the weapons feel horribly weak no matter the combination of upgrades and boons, unless you get the 300% grenades and a special critical boon and then everything explodes because you're chucking 2000 damage around while getting to dash freely. The RNG fucks with me, and when it doesn't I die to Theseus or Hades because I so rarely get up there. And it's frustrating because I objectively know that this is just me being Bad/Salty and I'm just not connecting with how the game goes.

I love everything about this game and I really, really want it to click for me like I keep hearing it does for others at some point and it just..isn't.

The trick for damage is that unless you're one of those crazy people that purges every boon except the ones absolutely necessary to their current build, you're never really gonna be slinging around huge numbers, except in the case of certain hammer upgrades. It's better to find a way to consistently do damage than to try going for big numbers.

I wouldn't necessarily write off the Mirror upgrades- and besides, it's not like darkness does anything else useful, so might as well grab them.

Have you given nectar to all the gods? If not, I'd say to do so. Each god except Hermes gives you a keepsake that makes it so the next time you would be offered a boon, it's guaranteed to be from that god. This can cut out a fair amount of RNG since you can, for example, equip one of these keepsakes before starting a run to guarantee you start with a certain god.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Nihilarian posted:

I feel like I often end the game at 3 or 4 different gods so maybe thats part of why i prefer the 40% for 2 status thing

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

hermes is always guaranteed and after that i think each run has 4-5 additional gods. I dont think chaos counts tho. Still, permanent 25%-30% damage boost compared to a conditional 40% is pretty close imo

Each run has a 'god pool'. Each time you accept a boon from a god (Hermes not included), they get added to your 'good pool', and as long as you have less than 4 gods in your 'god pool', the game will offer you random gods. Once you have a full pool, though, then that's it, you'll only be offered boons from those 4 gods + Hermes for the rest of that run.

You can force the game to give you more gods through the keepsakes, but instead of simply adding to your god pool, it causes the new god to replace a random member from the pool you already have. So yeah, like people have said, it basically boils down to "conditional 40% you have to build for versus always-on 25% that you just get naturally".

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Lobok posted:

Am I right in thinking there's little point in selecting Crit Chance boons or aspects unless I'm going all-in on a Crit Chance build?

It depends. For Example, Pressure Points and the Artemis/Athena duo, what the game doesn't tell you is that all damage you do has a chance to crit while they're active. Hangover procs, Zeus lightning, everything. Since Pressure Points gets you closer to Artemis' legendary boon, that is also something to consider if you get offered it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I will second that Zeus shield is super fun. Maybe not the best, but fun.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

TK-42-1 posted:

Is it just me or does everyone hit the tenth win with extremely OP builds that they there very excited to kick the poo poo out of dad with? I know both my son and I hit that mark as well as a couple friends.

For me, I had the exact opposite experience. My build was just a bunch of random garbage I had picked up because I hadn't yet realized how to rig the RNG in my favor, plus I only had like 1 death defiance at most. I was fully expecting to get killed, so I was ecstatic when Hades stepped aside and let me through without a fight.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I used the hermes plume a lot in my first save and i kind of forgot about it until i read that post but id never thought about using the mirror dash dodge skill before because why the gently caress would i want to give up an extra dash? Anyway i got my first five clears on my new save using it and only one of them was on fists. Taking a break from it to try the butterfly on exagryph to see if it can do any work. Meanwhile i havent gotten a single summon because ive been saving my nectar and ambrosia to get sisyphus' bouldy but even when i tank runs at the fury i havent seen sis in 7 runs. Im contemplating just dumping them on than for now but are there any other summons worth going for first? I just remember those two being the best

Meg's summon hits almost as hard as Than's (I think it's 2000-2500 damage versus 3500?) but it comes out immediately instead of after a delay. Otherwise I don't think others are particularly worth it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Klyith posted:

The thing is, to get offered the replacements you have to have a full set of core boons, and by that time you should be well on your way to having a build strat.

This is wrong. I don't doubt that having full core boons makes it more likely you get a replacement, but I've definitely had runs where I only had one or two core slots filled and was still offered a replacement boon.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Lobok posted:

To the person who asked if the game gets harder aside from Heat level, I think it does. Just today I came across that Tartarus Mini-Boss who fires beams but it was in a new room we had never fought in before. And I could swear that Theseus and the Minotaur have some new attacks, like that one where the Minotaur charges at Theseus.

Theseus and Asterius do learn new attacks (I've heard the trigger is them repairing their relationship after Theseus calls Zagreus a homewrecker), but for the miniboss, are you sure you didn't have the Middle Management condition for the Pact active? That gives every miniboss (except one) some new trick or aspect that's supposed to make the fight harder, and for the giant soulstone that's a new room.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Nebrilos posted:

I hear it grants damage resistance that scales up the more you lose, up to 80% damage resistance. How is that minor?

It starts off at 20% and only goes up by 2% each time you fail.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

To be more specific, if you've gotten someone up to their locked heart in their relationship gauge, then in order to give them ambrosia you need to complete a sort of miniquest for them. Of course, in order to complete it, they need to GIVE you said miniquest, and the game's dialogue queue system can make that a tad difficult.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

After over 200 runs of this game, I have finally come up with a genuine flaw of it:

After the narrator runs out of new ways to kill Zagreus at the end of a run, there's no way to skip directly to popping up in the House again. You have to listen to a repeated spiel and watch Zagreus die every time.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

The Artemis/Poseidon duo is broken on Beowulf. And I mean that quite literally. Mirage Shot is supposed to make your cast fire twice per stone, with the second shot doing 35% of the regular damage. With Beowulf, you get two 'pulses' of damage... but they're both full damage, instead of one being 35% of normal.

On the opposite end of the spectrum though you have Poseidon/Ares, which does NOT work how you would hope it does with Beowulf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

As someone who finished Hades relatively recently (like a year or two ago) I can confirm the pact unlocks after your first win.