Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Got the game when Steam released it, played it for a couple hours, then started playing it a lot more this week. Really enjoying it so far.

The Elysium boss fight remains the bane of my existence though: just had a run where I made it to the final phase of the final boss and I died, but I am reasonably confident that I could have won if the Elysium boss fight hadn't eaten all my Death's Defiances.

It really does feel like a dramatic step up in difficulty compared to the first two dungeon level bosses, which got much easier once I figured out their patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks for all the advice, managed to beat Theseus with the bow too, and with some extra lives, so now I can say I lost to the final boss fair and square. Gonna try killing Theseus with the rest of the weapons before making a final push to the end of the game.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Finally managed to make it out at least once!

Shield run involving Dionysus/Zeus tag teaming to trap enemies in Festive Fog and then explode them with lightning, blocking while the powers do most of the work, but the lightning shield bashing certainly helped the process along. Kind of weird because usually Festive Fog is a pass for me, but somehow it all clicked this time around.

Looking forward to (eventually) getting a win on the other weapons and then doing Pact of Punishment runs.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 5, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Thanatos is entirely random in when he shows up, though he can take his sweet time to make that first appearance. I first met him in one of my failed runs somewhere around Elysium, something like 20+ runs in.

He shows up a lot more often after the first time, but it's still random, so might want to keep a bottle of nectar on hand.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

LifeLynx posted:

Some boons just do nothing for boss fights and it's the worst. Just now I had a spear run where I was dealing 400+ damage to enemies whenever I knocked them into walls, and a ton of knockback. Most bosses seem to be immune to knockback though, so it didn't work that great in the end.

Poseidon's kind of all over the place with regards to the usefulness of his boons. Knockback is generally okay/pretty good for fights against mobs but as you said it's iffy on bosses. Ruptured can apply on bosses... but then you've spent a second boon just to get a status effect.

Where he really shines is not as your primary damage dealing god, but as support for another one. His non-Zeus duo boons are pretty nuts if you grab stuff suited to them (All Poms have +1 level from Aphrodite, All boons are better and minimum Epic from Dionysus) and Ruptured (maybe Knockback, uncertain on that) helps you activate the Privilege marker and its accompanying damage bonus. His Call is also pretty useful as it combines invulnerability, some damage, and increased mobility, though it can also make you feel like you're a pinball. Absolutely vital for me in the one run I actually won. And he also has the Gauge refill increase when you take damage, so that's useful to keep spamming it.

Also, I once got a Diamond from his loot boon and it was super silly.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 6, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The problem with the feather is that it varies, supposedly getting more charitable the higher up you get and for certain kinds of difficult encounters. Old versions of the wiki say that the "default" time is 30 seconds.

My guess is that the effect is tied to the keepsake because the number is listed on the keepsake itself rather than some other counter, but can't confirm that for certain.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

My keepsake strategy is messed up because I wanted to level all of them, and i've nearly done enough failed attempts to get most of them to level 2 or better. Haven't yet figured out what i'll do once everything's properly leveled and I get all the Fated Prophecies regarding god boons done. Probably Artemis early on for crits. Tried taking the advice of using Broken Spearpoint for the final level, but debating switching back to Skelly or Cerberus after I got very closely owned on my last run and one more Death's Defiance would have saved me. But then again without the invincibility might have lost anyway, so :effort:.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 6, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I really should just synergize my keepsakes with the strategy that works best for me though: Dionysus/Zeus/Artemis. I'm sure once pact levels start being a thing this won't work out well, and you gotta run really tight with the boons, but the rapid-fire lightning explosion pure cast build is hilarious to watch.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I have a love/hate relationship with Zeus because his boons always feel underwhelming until the moment it all clicks and you have UNLIMITED POWER.

Might try to see if I can get Zeus/Poseidon next run. Still need the duo for the list anyway...

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 6, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Finally managed to get a clear with every weapon (though I suppose some of them were cheats because I just spammed cast builds), looking forward to going back in and turning up the heat.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Spoilers because it involves the final boss:

Gee game, thank you for the money pot.

In less spoilery discussion, feel like the game's gotten more manageable now that I managed to get the first few clears and learned final boss patterns. Stupid deaths still happen, but I even feel comfortable cycling through the single heat conditions for the fated list prophecy and actually getting victories. The timer one is going to suck though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 9, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm gonna be honest, as somebody working my way through the low heat levels, that sounds way harder than just clearing more levels. Especially because the fated prophecy list gives you a bit more bonus blood to work with, so long as you're willing to do things like switch up pacts every run.

Maybe once you start getting to medium heat it's less trouble just buying the blood than playing with a bunch of simultaneous conditions though?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 11, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Okay, so I realized that if I was going to dunk on the blood thing, I should at least prove that I could do it:

(Charon didn't cooperate, but the principle is the same.)

I did it without using any of my rerolls, I did use the Hypnos trinket for 200 extra gold, but as it turned out, it wasn't necessary.

There isn't really a secret other than just having the run not go horribly wrong, being moderately focused on coin, and being very, very sparing with shops and the well.

Still don't think it's worth it, generally speaking.

EDIT: Best pact is still something i'm having difficulty figuring out because I haven't stuck with a pact for more than a single run. The damage ignoring one looks like an easy add, because as mentioned you spam shots all the time. Apart from that it's all about what annoys you the least. If you always get caught out by traps, then the trap one is horrible, otherwise it's free heat. If you only need a small amount of boons for your perfect build and end up with awkward spares, then the one that takes them away every zone does no harm. I don't like playing on time limit mode, but have to admit it's probably one of the easier ones once you get used to that kind of pace.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 11, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Just about finishing up my 2 heat runs (still need to get one with the gun) and I'm kind of curious as to why everyone's so short on Ambrosia. I've maxed everybody relevant's relationships already and i'm up to middling levels on the other things that use them. Is there some other feature I'm missing?

I mean it'll take some more heat, but I'll definitely be done before the Titan's Blood grind.

EDIT: Unless people have always meant Nectar, in which case I understand why it takes so long, even if my many failed runs have gotten me really far along progress in that front.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 12, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

What everyone says is true though: eventually you get used to it, and then the biggest threats to your run are getting a set of boons you don't know how to work with or getting beaten up by normal mobs on the way to the boss fights so you don't have the HP/extra life resources left to take them down.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Thing I learned over the past 2 runs: Something in the final boss fight technically counts as a trap. With the 400% trap damage booster on, I got dealt 143 damage in a single hit out of nowhere.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Not at all: I forget if it ended in a win or not, but I remember having a pretty fun final floor/boss fight with Poseidon boons where everyone flew everywhere and got whacked for hundreds of damage.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm the opposite - I feel like even if I haven't seen literally everything, i've explored a lot of the possibility space in the game while trying to complete the prophecy list and doing failed runs. It's actually winning the game at more than low heat that i'm slowly working through.

(This is also why i'm never gonna play on Hell Mode, since I don't want to have to reunlock everything just for a special additional pact condition.)

The new Olympian should be fun/shake things up, if nothing else i'll have someone to give nectar to again.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Demeter/Zeus

(Didn't get it myself because I want to finish the Prophecy list.)

I also saw via the wiki that Dionysus/Demeter gives a boon too, but haven't seen it myself.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, I think I'm taking a little break right now while some of the stuff is worked out in sub patches. Or even if not, just to get over the frustration for a few days/a week before coming back. A lot of the additions are fun but the nerfs have thrown off my game enough that I went from relatively consistent, though not continuously streaked, wins to being completely shutout.

I do love that they went full interior decorator, so even my failed runs have allowed me to fill the House with junk.

Also I guess the official story for a lot of what's going wrong is Demeter throwing a fit that she can't find Persephone either.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 22, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Hah, knew there'd be a patch soon enough!

Wasn't expecting it to be quite so soon though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Instincts after getting a round in post-patch:

- Game balance generally feels mostly back to what it was pre-update, though some things still feel kinda wonky.
- I can use it, but Demeter's cast is still not my favorite. At least I only have one more boon to go to complete the prophecy.
- Styx remains way more dangerous than it was pre-update.
- Having lost on the final boss, i'm not sure if it's legitimately gotten harder to win this fight than before the update or I just had a bad boon setup (and experimenting with Eurydice's Acorn probably didn't help either).

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Just managed to win a run with the new spear, at admittedly low heat:

I actually kind of like it? The moveset's certainly clicking in a way that the spin attack and special for the regular and Achilles spear didn't. Also this was super fun because the spin attack with Artemis just lets you drop a ton of crits as long as the spinning annulus of death is rolling along.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Nope, weapon aspects are all considered to be the same weapon.

You get more Titan's Blood for beating the final boss, and beating Meg/the final boss with each of the weapons at higher levels of post-game additional difficulty sliders called Heat. Also the final level has a chance to let you buy Titan's Blood straight out for 1500 coins. You can also get more through prophecies and trading, although that's rarer and most of the things that will give you blood probably aren't worth trading away.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 26, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

quote:

"Don't worry Little Hades, we'll help you take down your father together!"

"That's great! But Uncle Poseidon, where's Lord Uncle Zeus..."

"Trust me nephew, you're better off not knowing..."

This one was pretty fun, and to be honest, is only really remarkable for having a wide spread of Olympians in it. If i'd planned things better I probably could've gotten Zeus for the complete set, but I was panicking at losing a Death's Defiance early to the Furies.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Drewjitsu posted:

How do you get skelly's thing? No, not the first thing, the other thing.

Give him enough nectar to the point where you physically can't any more, then keep talking with him until he brings up a request in a conversation.

There's another part to it, but at that point you'll know what to do.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Or do, because you care about that sweet sweet dialogue...

(Full disclosure, I have everyone at max nectar though not Ambrosia, gotta wait for Dusa's unlock).

The real caveat is that they all have sidequests you have to finish in order to start giving them ambrosia, which for some characters is a bigger pain than the initial bond leveling.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 27, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I just looked it up and man, the Fated Authority costs get completely ridiculous. I cannot imagine how you'd get the 165,000 darkness necessary for all 10 rerolls before you're stuck on the darkness minimization pact for all your weapons.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The counterpoint is that it's easy enough to get yourself into a situation where if you're on a losing streak, you'll be left with nothing to get until you clear the final boss.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

For me it happened twice: in the beginning stages of the game when I was still struggling to clear at all, yes, but also somewhere around low (2-3) heat. The first time there was still darkness to get, but by the second I was already pushing into boon rarity and fated authority and there wasn't that much left to improve in terms of mechanical toolkit.

But I think i'm on the lower end of skill for the thread and it's a testament to the game that there was still enough story to keep things interesting.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The useless trinket only comes after you've done a clear with 8 heat or better. I heard that hell mode doesn't count its default heat for some things, so it might be that you have to win a run on 13 heat?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Sdoots posted:

Is there a strategy for the Elysium boss that I'm not getting? I can kill the Minotaur but Theseus fucks me up whenever he gets his assist.

Always be dashing, the Olympians can't hurt you if you're dashing.

A bit more directly useful for while you're still learning the fight: Calls with invulnerability will let you ignore most of the craziness so you can smack Theseus around. Try to go for Poseidon/Ares/Athena, the former prioritized since you can also use them to deal damage at the same time. Then just save the Greater Call in the first part of the fight and pop it as soon as Theseus unleashes his Olympian of choice. Additionally, if you have damage over times that don't rely on you directly hitting Theseus but still let you hurt him, that frees you up to keep running while your DoTs do the work. My favorite for this is Dionysus' hangover abilities, but the Festive Fog cast up and running with a Duo like Zeus or Demeter also works well.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 1, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

The sanctioned action is to cut.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Drewjitsu posted:

So what's everyone's go to weapon/trinket/summon for high heat runs? I've managed a completion with all weapons, and another with a low heat, so what is the one that people tend to gravitate towards as things get tougher, or is it personal playstyle (which would be great).

I felt that of all the starting weapons, the adamant rail felt the weakest, and the spear felt the strongest (which happened to be my last completion and first completion respectively).

I may or may not be an outlier in thinking that most of the weapons are about the same, my failures or successes just happen to do with how well I personally am doing on an individual run. Hence you can see that my above victory shows I have the same number of clears with each (plus a shield clear I just got this evening). Only at the later stages of low level heat though. Medium level heat starts when you're forced to start taking really uncomfortable pacts and I haven't hit that point yet.

Sisyphus is the way to go for summons: you output enough damage on your own, but nothing else brings the same on-demand utility/healing to the table.

I like to lock in a particular god of choice for a weapon, whatever it is, in Tartarus via trinket. For instance, when I do spear, I like the Guan Yu spear and that really needs Artemis so the healing spin attack is always dealing a ton of damage, since you want to be spamming it all the time. From there I switch out to capitalize on whatever other god decides to show up in Tartarus and then switch to Hypnos/Chaos for Elysium and finish off with Skelly for the extra life on the final boss. But trinkets beyond the first are really just a matter of looking at your current situation and going "What do I really need on the next floor?" Once in a while i'll try Thanatos or Mercury and i'm pleasantly surprised with how well they work, but I usually lose those runs for other reasons and to be honest they're only really worth it if you're very good at not taking damage or are particularly quick since you have to stick with them for the entire run.

TL:DR - Apart from the Sisyphus summon, which is pretty much the best, everything else is up to personal playstyle.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 2, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Went into a Chaos Gate with a Light of Ixion from a Charon Well and predictably nothing happened, but I kept secretly hoping that i'd unlock Double Chaos or something.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Krazyface posted:

Just discovered Zag has special voice lines if you use a Call while that same god is trying to kill you in a dilemma room.

Is the Chaos Gate health penalty reduced if you're using the cursed sword/spear?

Nope. But it's much easier to get the HP back, so it's often effectively free if you know what you're doing.

Also, just managed to get an 8 heat clear in, so that's all the prophecies on the list complete!

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 3, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Also I am taking stock of all the floor clearing currencies and Titan Blood is terrifying. Even though you get twice as much of it per run as the other two, it'll still take another 9 heat (maybe 7-8 with purchases and including the rest of the blood I haven't gotten from 8 heat clears yet) to get all the weapons maxed.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Wafflecopper posted:

Have you (or anyone else) done the one to learn to play the lyre? I've reached the point where it makes actual notes when I interact with it, Orpheus has commented on my progress, and Zagreus seems to have stopped saying voice lines when I play it. I think I'm close but does anyone know?

There's three levels of competence: Awful, Okay, Decently Good. (Not official names.)

You just have to keep practicing it and then going out and doing runs until Orpheus comments on it again, and then going back to the lyre and playing it again. At some point in this process (I forget exactly where in the conversation/practice cycle, and it might not be as soon as you hit stage 3 on the actual playing of the lyre) you'll hit the point when the prophecy unlocks. From what it sounds like, since you have notes but not actual music you're probably in the middle of stage 2.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 3, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm gonna disagree with that first part - I think Hermes is above other boons but it isn't worth giving up a hammer and certainly isn't worth a Double Boon. I actually suspect that's still too high a prioritization after the 2nd Hermes boon unless you're really going heavy on a cast build or something and need to drag those ones out of the tree.

But I also don't care about mobility as much as other people, so this might be a personal taste thing.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

It's not unique to him, I heard him dunking on Poseidon for being slow too.