Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Is there any way to see the renovations I've already purchased? I've forgotten what the various "receive [run item] when you pick up [upgrade item]" renovations do.

Also, I'm terrible with the Abyss Sword because I generally take enough chip damage in Elysium and the surface that I can't make it through the final boss fight (especially with the huge range on the spin attack).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I don't think they have a list anywhere, but you should be able to see when you're getting the bonus on a pickup. If you look in the little pop-up box when you're next to the item, it will show both the main item and bonus.

The upgrade item pickups are like so (room and boon rewards only):

Keys give bonus +1 Fated Authority
Nectar gives bonus level +1 to random boon (like a free Pom)
Gemstones give bonus coin (can't remember the amount - maybe +10?)
Darkness gives bonus +5 max health

Thanks! Keys were the main one I keep forgetting, because I keep forgetting about Fated Authority in general. The few times I've tried it, it seems like it's restricted to swapping to doors of the same type (i.e. resources to resources, boons to boons)?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, it's good stuff. I shied away from Zeus for a while, but I've had consistently amazing runs focused on lightning and jolt when I've gone for it. Have you done a Zeus run with Chiron aspect on the bow? Oh my!

I love that really everything is viable and can feel powerful in this game. I also love how everybody (including me) has a concrete idea of what is definitely and obviously a 100% lock for the best weapons/boons/whatever that somehow is completely different than what other people think.

My current favored "most op" combo is Deflect + Deflect primary/secondary and the duo that lets deflect attacks pop Doom. I picked that up on Zagreus +secondary speed spear run with the bouncing secondary and +range primary Daedalus upgrades, and I think that was my fastest time yet. The rifle + accuracy and attack speed + Artemis' homing arrows was pretty hilarious too, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

My biggest disappointment was finding out that the Zeus aspect shield's blitz disc doesn't proc homing arrows :(

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

srulz posted:

BTW, what is the best Boon to use for above Triple Bombs? I have been ignoring Special-based boons for so long now on other weapons that I'm absolutely clueless. Probably not Poseidon since knockback would knock enemies out of AOE of the 2nd/3rd bombs, and not Ares since it's flat damage aka not making full use of the huge base damage & doesn't stack.

Probably Artemis for the crit or Aphrodite for the +damage and weaken, plus the duo that gives bonus crit on weakened enemies. Athena would do in a pinch for the +damage, though the deflect isn't super useful with the slow, arcing projectile. Doom primary + Athena secondary plus the Ares/Athena duo would be pretty good, but not as good as Artemis/Aphrodite (especially if you also get Artemis' homing arrows).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

3) There’s a chance, but being offered a swap is pretty rare in the first place. You can dramatically improve the odds if you purge the slot, especially if the other four primary slots are full.

Oxxidation posted:

i was not a fan of the bow in Bastion and it seems to follow the same principles in Hades

my brain is too overtaxed during a melee to deal with this timed-hits nonsense

It’s pretty safe to ignore - I think it’s only a 20% damage boost by default (maybe less?) so it’s not worth the hassle unless you get the hammer upgrade.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 19, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Swaps are rare? Feels like I get the option for one almost every time I pick up a new boon after I've filled out some of the main (attack, special, cast, call) boon slots.
They also seem to almost always be one rarity higher than the boon you are currently using in that slot.

I should clarify that being offered particular swaps is rare. You have to fill all of your main slots first and then your only offered one out of five possibilities, when is pretty slim odds when you’ll probably only have one or two shots. Purging the slot makes it a sure thing if the other main slots are full, provided you find that god again.

E: I often won’t bother filling all the main slots if a good synergy isn’t offered, which is probably why I think of them as being rare in general :v:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 19, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Doesn’t the extra coin keepsake take back the loan if you swap it out? I could have sworn that was the case when I tried it. Maybe if you end Tartarus with a pittance it’s okay?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

...you can romance Skelly?

Less talking, more smacking!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The best part about flurry is that it gives your dash attack full range, making it much easier to stay away from enemies (and use the distant enemies bonus, if you have it). I’m partial to explosive arrows + double attack, though - it’s a pretty significant damage boost and the interrupt is great for locking down groups of enemies without having to use specific attack boons.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I just realized that the big clue that I should have been using the spin-dash was Hades clobbering me with it all the time :cripes:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Xaris posted:

I'd recommend the Skelly Keepsake over the Cereberus keepsake. Maxed out Cerberus is +80 HP (which can have it's uses if you get the restore health when below 40% into encounters boon) compared to max out Skelly keepsake is +150 HP.

Cerberus is a bit better than that because if you're considering Death Defiance uses (which you'd need to for Skelly to be useful) you're also getting +40HP per defiance. If you're doing two or three Defiances the added health is technically more than Skelly, but 1) each death defiance eats overkill damage (+Skelly), and 2) using a death defiance isn't great in the first place (+Cerberus).

They seem pretty well balanced, though - which one you want will depend on the situation when you're swapping it in and your playstyle.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Glazius posted:

Yeah, learn what number the boss chamber usually is and don't hit the shop just before it without a reasonable amount of coin. There'll usually be an alternative to it and there's no fight, just an empty shop with it lying there.

Single-exit chaos gates can sometimes send you to a shop if you’re out of Fated Authority :(

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Works great with the rail if you get the spread fire Daedalus upgrade.

If I remember correctly it's also decent with Flurry Shot (hold attack to continually shoot, no power shot) because it gives the Bow's dash attack full range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Also, if you're not enjoy the WASD controls try a controller (if you have one). I was skeptical at first but it's much, much easier to precisely control melee movement. You might want to swap a few of the buttons too!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 2, 2020