Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Think I'm mostly going to stay out of this thread until I beat the game at least once cause I haven't even met all the characters yet, but just wanted to say the game's super good and polished and addictive. I am not very good and in ten hours the furthest I've made it is chamber 37, but that's okay. The only thing it's missing for me is an in-game list of boons because there are so goddamn many I can't remember who offers what and sometimes you need to make a choice. Maybe I should count remembering those as getting better at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Just beat the game for the first time on my 18th try, with the Rail. I had 4 hp left despite going into the final battle with three revives (two from the mirror and one from Skelly that I switched to for the temple). I usually completely forget about my Cast (and Call) but it did a lot of work for me, had like four of them plus a secondary shot, and the Zeus/Artemis Duo boon that turns dropped casts into lightning rods. I could basically focus most of the time on dodging and staying alive, and getting some shots in with the Rail whenever I could.

There is a lot of funny dialogue in this game but I think the biggest laugh it got out of me so far was when I approached the first boss room and Zag muttered "Please be Meg". :lol:

Now to go back and read this thread without fear of (too many) spoilers. Although I still have not met everyone, interestingly.

Absolutely loving this game, and it really reminded me of what an amazing studio Supergiant is. I skipped Pyre when it came out (though I have it now and will hopefully get to it soonish) and it'd been enough time since Transistor for me to sort of forget.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Man, the Shield is a bit good against the final boss. Feels like that, some kind of ranged damage and a lot of patience is enough? I'm sure the other stuff helped but I just had a very low-damage run and I managed to get through all the same (for only my second win so I'm not even good).

About the Olympians' keepsakes - a number of times I've switched to one mid-run and the effect didn't trigger at all. Do they only work as the first keepsake?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tiramisu posted:

They work if you swap. What they do is force the next boon you run into to be theirs which doesn’t mean you’re getting a boon any quicker.

Bruceski posted:

Do note that Hermes does not count as a God for those trinkets and can appear before the mandated boon.

I was going to reply to the first post and say that it's definitely bugged for me but then I saw the second post. It was indeed Hermes who showed up first both times this happened so that explains it! Thanks.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

Now I'm not sure what to actually upgrade. None of these enhancements sounds all that impressive and titan blood is extremely limited.

This is also my thought every time I look at the options but I've decided to simply unlock all the aspects first (rather than upgrade any single one beyond lvl 1), because I'm likely to want to try them all out anyway. So that saves me some indecision. If you favor one weapon over the others though it'd make sense to focus on that one.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

If you switch out the keepsakes that give you the speed/damage boost (Pierced Butterfly is one but can't remember the other at the moment) do you keep whatever bonus you've earned up to that point? Also, do Olympian keepsakes 'reset' between acts, e.g. if I start with Artemis can I force a second boon from her at the start of Asphodel if I just don't switch out of it?

I'm guessing the answers are no and no...

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I guessed correctly on both counts! Thanks.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Oof, the Barge of Death does not mess around when you've got Middle Management turned on.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

Finally got my first victory. I have no idea what you are supposed to do to avoid damage on the second phase of the last boss when he puts those green vase traps everywhere and shoots his purple spinny lazers through the entire screen leaving you no choice but to get hit by lazers or run into the traps.

For the beam attack, there is a little alcove at the top-left that you can consistently shield behind - in my experience with the other rocks it's a bit iffy, sometimes you're defended sometimes not. Alternatively/additionally, prioritize a Call that gives you Impervious (Ares is my favorite as it does a shitload of damage on top of defending you, and it lasts longer than Poseidon or Athena iirc) and hit that as soon as you see him spin up.

I also regularly take hits from the vases and waves, but oh well. I think it's mostly about positioning and having enough damage to clear space around you if you need it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The Rail with Rocket Bomb + Triple Bomb is good enough that I just cleared a run without ever triggering a Death Defiance, which is the first time that's happened. I also somehow managed to get three Duo boons, including what I think was an Aphrodite/Athena combo (I bought it from Charon at the temple and there was no dialogue to go along with it) which slows down enemy projectiles by 60%. That seemed awfully good, especially when the final boss summoned an armored Megagorgon that managed to do absolutely nothing.

Also starting to like Deflect more and more. I had it on my dash this time which feels like the best place for it when you have a ranged weapon.

edit: Oh and I spent no less than 120 gems on an Aphrodite poster for the bedroom and considering the sheer amount of dialogue in the game I really hope she'll have something to say about that next time.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 28, 2019

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Dias posted:

This was absolutely, incredibly dumb, Hera Aspect Bow Cast builds are INSANE with just a bit of luck, and I got a METRIC FUCKTON of it.

I feel like I'm missing something with the Hera bow. I did two runs with it yesterday (and I have it upgraded to level 3 I think) during which I tried a bunch of things but it never stopped feeling underwhelming. I had it once with Athena's cast, then with Aphrodite's, neither seemed all that great. Do you load up all casts at once for one shot or one-by-one? I had the feeling that loading multiple casts is a little bugged - if the shot misses they kind of vanish but you can just load them up again even if it says you have 0 casts - and it didn't seem to do more damage than loading it up with one. Maybe I just didn't notice it. Both the Athena and Aphrodite effects also just kept missing once they triggered so I didn't see much benefit from them.

I did win the first run but the second to be fair was just a poor run, I got almost nothing good and Tisiphone nearly ended me right at the start. It didn't help that I still had a Chaos curse active that prevented me from using my casts in that fight. She moves too quickly for the bow. Eventually died to the final boss, as is usually the case with bad runs.

As an aside, I got Meg's second keepsake and it's cool but I was sad it doesn't work for the first and final boss fights, even if that makes perfect sense. I probably should not have immediately upgraded it to level 5.

edit: Okay, had a better Hera run just now, with Tipsy Shot.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 1, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

alansmithee posted:

edit-and as for Achilles spear, I've not messed with it too much but I'm not the biggest fan because it takes away the safe range attack aspect of the special. It does add a bunch of mobility however, but I'm not sure if that tradeoff is worth it.

This is my take on it as well and why I prefer the Zagreus aspect for now. Most of the time I don't really want to dash into enemies (Poseidon dash + supporting boons is an obvious exception), and especially when thinking ahead to the final fight. And when I do the Achilles aspect feels an awkward and somewhat unwieldy way to do it. Zagreus Aspect lets you turn the spear into a sniper rifle with the right upgrades, on my last run my special was doing something like +400% damage on attack and I had the Skewer upgrade that does crit damage on recall on top of that. Other than shield runs it was probably my easiest win.

But like you I have not played with it all too much.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 4, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

When using Achilles aspect, after throwing the spear, you can do the new Raging Rush with the special button or you can use the original retrieval with the attack button.

This constantly trips me up as it changes the recall button from the default special button. I kind of wish it was the other way around, with the Rush on the attack button instead. I actually think this might be why I don't like the Achilles aspect much, instead of using Raging Rush tactically I'm doing it constantly, by accident.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 4, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I'd play for more dialogue too - especially in it's current incomplete state;

There's like a ton more dialogue after you win your first run and several little 'plots' that advance through dialogue. I'm almost 70 hours into this game and I still have only maxed out a handful of characters' hearts (and even those are just on pause basically until more content is added). I really dig the idea that you can only advance dialogue with a given character once per run, there's so much of it (and it's so good) that for me it's enough of an incentive to keep playing even if room/enemy variety is a little lacking. I need more nectar!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Kinda wish there was a keepsake that forced a Daedalus upgrade as your next chamber reward.

Also, last night I opened an Infernal Trove for gems and got a bottle of nectar in addition. Is that a random thing or a bug? I'd never had that happen previously in 70 hours.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I've found No Choice at level 1 to be fairly reasonable if you're looking for easy heat to add. It's a little bit of a bummer because boons make the game, so less choice is less fun, and especially if the exact boon you wanted is removed, but most runs will get away with it I think.

There was talk of Poseidon being relatively weak earlier and that may be true but I have to say that a Poseidon build coming together with most/all the supporting boons is probably the most fun I personally have had in this game. I love his dash. He's probably also my favorite of the olympians as a character, I have a very hard time ever turning him down. It's bad against bosses but at least Rupture does work even if they're not physically knocked back.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The increased boon prices are a real bummer, as well as the nerf to Support Fire and the change to Zag's Spear, which was my favorite of its aspects. Otherwise I'm enjoying the new content. Chill is great, Decay can get nuts. Demeter's cast and aid are a lot of fun. Been trying to pair up her cast with some Artemis boons but it hasn't quite happened yet.

The new spear aspect is sort of fun? I'm not sure. I managed to fulfill the prophecy on my first go with it at level 3 (but died at the final boss anyway - interesting that they didn't ask us to actually win) and I can see myself giving it a few more goes. At the very least it got me to use the spin attack more which I almost never do.

I'm also enjoying dying before the final boss again for a change but can definitely understand that the increased difficulty can be off-putting, particularly for new players. Hopefully they find a balance.

Spoilery question about Skelly's request: if I do as he asks and slay him with the Zag sword, does he actually go away? I think that's how you get his second keepsake, right, but I don't want to send him off and miss out on some dialogue or whatever (I still have two more of his heat trials to do for instance). I'm guessing it doesn't work and he stays, though, as that would make a lot more sense. Am I right?

edit: Also, Elysium is way, way better now in general.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 22, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Dias posted:

Don't worry, you can't miss any dialogue with Skelly if you do what he asks you to do.

Awesome, thanks.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

- The dash is very responsive and is a great lead-in to an attack

Related, I really like the change they made to Aphrodite's dash that makes it do the Weak effect at your destination now rather than starting point. Makes so much more sense.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Glad the Zag spear is back to how it was (with added damage bonus, actually), and for the reverted price changes.

quote:

• Support Fire (Artemis): increased damage; increased power level at higher rarity

What's the difference between 'damage' and 'power level' in this context? I guess the latter's just the starting number depending on rarity?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Been trying to get Black Out cause it's the last Dionysus boon that I need for his prophecy, but despite my best efforts it refuses to show up. In accordance with forum tradition I am therefore now complaining about it in the thread, which guarantees it will show up in my next run.

edit: Also hit 100 hours with my most recent run. :toot:

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 3, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Fenn the Fool! posted:

You need a pretty specific combination of boons for Blackout to show up. You'll only get offered it if you have a hangover boon AND his cast boon.

Yeah, I had the right setup for it on every run that I tried to get it so far, it just didn't show up. One thing I can do better to increase the odds I think is to hold on to my Fated Authorities instead of blow them early on to get gems (cause I always reroll darkness and keys at this point) so I can increase the odds of seeing Dionysus when I have a Yarn/Euridyce rarity boost active. I'll make sure to do that in my next go.

edit: Assuming those improve odds for seeing boons from higher tiers as well rather than just rarity actually, now I'm thinking they probably don't.

edit2: It absolutely never fails. Always complain in the thread first:

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 3, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Unless I'm aiming for specific boons (which is not likely now since I've finished the final boon-related prophecy today - was Merciful End as my last Duo) I start with Cosmic Egg, then Coin Purse, then Evergreen Acorn and finally Broken Spearpoint for Styx. In truth I could probably drop the Acorn and delay the Coin Purse until Elysium so I can have two areas with the Egg, but actually the Egg itself isn't all that necessary either (at least in terms of the health saved... I would probably still take most Chaos gates even without it). I should probably play around with the rest more since I've become so inflexible with my choices.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

This was fun:

I also had the boon that pulls enemies into your rifts, but sadly didn't manage to get any extra casts. Prior to this coming together I had taken World Smasher as a hammer upgrade to check it out and frankly didn't really know what to do with it. It seems kinda... bad. But maybe I'm just too used to blocking with the shield. I lost two death defiances to the Hydra due to lack of damage and mobility, and things were looking really dodgy going into Elysium. Fortunately once everything came together I didn't need to use the shield anymore at all.

Always feels nice to come back from the brink.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

The next aspect that gets the most affected by blood besides Zeus Shield is actually probably Hades Spear, since at rank 1 it's still not worth doing spin attacks ever.

I'm certain there's some fun, unique dialogue for reaching/beating Hades with his own spear that I will never hear because I will never use it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Krazyface posted:

Just one disappointment. I brought Meg's super-keepsake thing, Batty, but didn't get to use it. I tried in the Hades fight, but it just wouldn't proc. Is there some special rule in place? I've definitely used Skelly in that fight before.

I think Meg just doesn't want to piss off her employer.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

My runs are usually around 50 minutes in-game and about 70 all together (edit: including post-run chats & lyre practice) but I've always been a slow player in any game. I often take a long time choosing between rooms just to think which god would be better for my current run, which means going over all their boons in my head, etc.

I'm waiting for my current streak to end before I start going for Tight Deadline.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 25, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Does anyone take anything other than Refreshing Nectar from Eurydice? Feels like Asphodel is early enough that you'll always have three boons to use it on, especially since it can make it easier to get legendaries/duos. I can never justify taking anything else; maybe if you could choose which boons to upgrade immediately rather than it being random.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Incoherence posted:

If you have a bunch of garbage up to that point, you might want to take the future boon upgrades in the hopes that you'll get something not trash?

I didn't phrase that well, that's the one I was referring to that I always take. :) Should've been "always get three boons".

BobTheJanitor posted:

I haven't looked at the numbers well enough to be sure, but it seems like an increase in rarity and an increase in level are roughly the same power increase (at least when going from lv 1 to lv 2 in a skill).

Maybe I undervalue poms, I don't know. I also haven't checked the numbers too closely but feels like more often than not my reaction when I get a pom is a solid meh. I might also be getting hoodwinked by the boon color changes, unexpectedly seeing a rarer color than blue sells "meaningful upgrade" really well.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Update looks beefy as hell, I'm excited to dig into it in about... an hour. I did a preparatory run a while ago where I nabbed something like 4000 darkness total via stacked Chaos boons and such but if I'm reading the patch notes right that might not have been needed if they lowered costs across the board, since I already had the mirror maxed out anyway.

RIP Budget Cuts, never actually got around to doing that one.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I was just checking out the second aspect with the pull special, and it doesn't seem as good. You're even more in the enemies' face with the Fists than with the Sword, so the dodge chance is crucial.

It's fun to pull them into pillars and walls, though, and works really nicely with the Poseidon boon that creates a wave when you do that.

Fists are fun in general, I think. I just unlocked the new sword aspect but haven't tried it yet, seems good though just from testing it out on Skelly a bit.

I did a run with all of the alternate mirror options. Some of them will likely be permanently off for me, like the cash one - I'm never one to hold onto it for Styx or something like that, I like using it. Would rather just have the 100 upfront.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

The Fists really are just a great delivery system for status effects, I basically switched back immediately to Privileged Status because of that, although I do like the opposite mirror bonus as well, just not so much on this weapon. Actually I've flipped back almost all of the mirror options, not sure if the new ones are underwhelming or I'm too set in my ways. Of the new ones I only have... let me see what the names are... Fiery Presense (actually also bad with the Fists, I might switch this back too), Stygian Soul, Olympian Legacy and Fated Persuasion turned on at the moment. It's a bummer seeing so many white boons when previously there were mostly blue and above, but Legendaries and Duos are too fun.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

I have never seen the final boss melt so fast. Both forms in around 30 seconds total if I had to guess.

I also just had a really fun cast build although the boss didn't go down quite as fast as in yours, maybe like 60 seconds instead. :) But it did take out Theseus before Asterius and I wasn't even trying to make that happen. And Asterius started the fight with a chunk of his health shaved off from the earlier encounter, too.

edit: I actually don't think I'd previously ever heard the dialogue for when that happens, although it's basically the same but flipped.

I didn't really use the fists much past Asphodel.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 13, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

That's a massive build. I can't get Ice Wine to save my life. I keep using their artifacts, but it never comes up.

It absolutely will now that you've complained about it in the thread.

It's funny, I was using the magnetic fists and got the Festive Fog cast right out of the gate, so my thinking was to try and push for Dionysus boons and get the one where you take less damage standing in FF and use the fists to pull enemies into it, maybe stack some statuses while I'm at it, etc. That sounded like a cool and fun idea, but the game just went the other way completely.

Kellanved posted:

I usually run chaos/chaos/chaos or acorn or bracer/ skelly or acorn or bracer. Master Chaos is good to me!

I usually also start with Egg/Egg and I'd personally really appreciate it if Chaos coughed up the Defiance boon, after like 120 hours of this game. Maybe? Please? Does it even exist? Who can say...

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Ugh, I just had a miserable run, a 10-heat low-damage no-synergy drag from start to finish. I managed to drag it to the final boss, where I promptly died, though if my heart had been in it maybe I could've won plinking away at him with my Zeus cast. I think the Arthur aspect is extremely not for me, but maybe the bad run's coloring my opinion on it at the moment.

On the plus side, my winstreak's over so I feel a bit freer to try new things. I haven't played with Guan Yu that much because I don't really trust myself to be good with it and didn't want to blow the streak. And I'm a slow player generally so I think it's also time to go for speedruns to get that prophecy done finally.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 19, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Eternal Spear with the Flurry Jab upgrade and Athena's attack is just rude. Genuinely what are enemies supposed to do against that? Granted I dropped to low heat cause I was ticking off Routine Inspection, the final condition I needed for the Pact prophecy, but still. The run was basically "hold left-click to win", and I improved my record time by four minutes which I had just set a few hours ago on a run where I was specifically aiming to finally tick off Tight Deadline.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Been doing some zero Heat runs trying to coax out the Chaos legendary. No luck so far, and man is it a bummer to deliberately pass on boons and god trials in order to hold onto a Yarn and/or Refreshing Nectar in the hope of getting a Chaos gate. And then not even getting a gate. It is baffling that this thing is so rare; all it is is an extra Death Defiance. There are a ton of other ways to get one of those! Even if this one adds to your total rather than replenishes a lost one, there is no world in which this boon is so good it needs to be this rare.

But, in the meantime I've discovered that Zeus shield is pretty fun. I was neglecting that aspect a lot. I had the Dionysus special on it and that worked really well. Manipulating the shield around a room by throwing and recalling as you move about is a good time. I have a feeling it doesn't perform as well once you crank up the heat, but for these low-stress casual runs it's nice.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I guess it depends on whether Legendary/Duo boons are a Rarity or a Tier. The whole rarity/tier/level thing is actually kind of confusing, particularly for new players, and the game could probably do a better job explaining it. I generally also feel like the Yarn helps to get those, but yeah, like Serephina says, might just be confirmation bias.

edit: I would be disappointed a little if it doesn't, to be honest, cause that means there's even less I can do myself to raise the chance of seeing this dumb boon. The final boon I need! Where is it!!

edit2: Also give me a Chaos fishing spot some time, maybe. I saw that new Poseidon boon that gives a higher chance for fishing spots to spawn exactly once, when it was forced as your first post-patch Poseidon boon, and never again.

edit3: Having now read this...

quote:

Chaos Gates will only begin spawning after 11 completed runs. They cannot appear in shops, in boss rooms, or in the chamber immediately after a boss. Two Chaos Gates will not spawn within 8 chambers of each other. Gates grow less common in each successive area, and are unable to spawn naturally after the sixth chamber of Elysium. However, a Light of Ixion can override the above conditions and cause a Gate to spawn regardless.

...I'm conflicted on whether it's better to use Fated Persuasion re-rolls on a Well in the hope of getting a Light of Ixion, or keep them for the actual gate. I suppose I should be keeping track of these spawn rules in my next runs so I can make wiser calls on this.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 29, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I've gotten the legendary boon a few times just playing normally (which is probably what you should do instead of grinding)

Ah but see, I've done that for 135 hours. Not to worry, though, I wouldn't be grinding if I wasn't having fun just playing the game anyway, and it's nice to do no-heat runs for a change since normally I'd be doing what Infinite Karma suggested and climbing up with each weapon.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

you should also consider turning on and maxing out the alternate mirror upgrade that improves their drop rate. I wouldn't use that at pretty much any other time, but I have found it useful for that purpose.

I actually turned that on when it came out and never turned it off again. Legendaries and Duos are too fun for me to pass up usually, and if it's true that their appearance isn't actually affected by the Yarn and Eurydice's Nectar then using the mirror upgrade is the only way to raise the odds of seeing them (which were lowered in the Nighty Night update iirc), while the latter two can still be used to offset the lower appearance rate of Epic boons.

Serephina posted:

maybe rejig your mirror upgrades if it can squeeze another reroll? It's good practice anyways playing w/o mirror upgrades, good fun at low heat.

Ooh, this didn't occur to me at all. I wonder how many Chaos curses I can stack if I pour all my darkness into re-rolls. With heat turned off it matters less anyway. I'll try this today.

Anyway, Doom Eternal, yeah... I'm on a ten-year-old i5-750. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Don't know where that bit of info came from but I just looked at the Steam forum for info on this and Greg Kasavin posted this on Feb 27th in response to a similar inquiry:

quote:

Hey, I can confirm we have no plans to reset anyone's progress at any point, including once we exit Early Access. In my opinion that would be a good time to consider starting a fresh play-through, though we want that to be your choice to make. As part of each of our updates we work to make sure our changes are backwards compatible.