Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there a “best” use for your first few diamonds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

1. Does the smoke from the vents in Asphodel do anything but obscure your vision? I don't really want to try standing around in it during runs to check. I've heard Zagreus cough but I don't know if it's taking health or just an annoyance.

2. Sometimes in Asphodel it seems like bombs are launched from the lava for no discernible reason, am I tripping a trap or does Asphodel just hate me that much? Is it due to the skeleton chilling in the lava some places?

3. If I swap away from a particular spell (or boon in general) will it ever be offered to me again in the same run?

4. Why am I constantly trying to "catch" the bottle the green bottle flinger drops on death? I will literally dash in and try to "interact" with the flipping bottle, especially if it's the last enemy on screen when it dies. Only for green bottle, not the others.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I died on my first time leaving Elysium (chaos shield: easy mode?) reading Hades poo poo talking Dionysus at 10% health when I used my Call and my first thought was "he's going to be so loving smug about this."

Sadly(?) he was absent.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Destro posted:

So I've finished two runs with the Adamant Rail, and now am stuck with some bad choices in what i put Titan blood into, for the life of me I can't finish a run with anything else and the only time I finished with the rail was the triple bomb. I really wish they would let you respec your Titan's blood out of weapons cause its super annoying that I can't farm anymore without clearing more with other weapons now. Like what are some good combos for the sword even or just about anything I always end up at the end with very poor final boss killing damage and its super frustrating.

Add 1 heat and beat Fury boss with each of the weapons for 5 more blood

Use the spear special and keep trying until you get "bounces to 7 enemies with bonus damage"

Sword: my best non-Poseidon run I also specialized hard into special with I think doom on attack. Special was faster, hit twice no knockback, I used deflect but anything that doesn't knockback will work, you want enemies to stay still while you whale on the ground.

I think weak is one of the best effects in the game if you're not able to read all of the enemies all the time yet.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 24, 2019

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The amount of voiced lines for rare events is amazing. I had a Yarn of Ariadne active and Theseus called it out. Artemis has a line for trying to use her Call after angering her in a God Trial. Chaos seems to grant a one-off bonus (higher rarity boons) when you first show Them the Chaos aspect of Aegis.

...so hitting the final boss with Unhealthy Fixation (Weak effects have 15% chance to charm for 4 seconds) is such a missed opportunity! I guess it's good to not interrupt combat for stuff like that.

I'm pretty sure every hit of Chaos shield is an independent chance (if you have Aphrodite's special) because that guy really just wanted to hug me for like 30% of the fight.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Tight Deadline made me really appreciate Zeus’ cast.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What exactly does getting hit with Boiling Blood do? Other than make more skulls pop out of you?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It’s 1500 for TB, 1000 for a diamond (essentially 1/2 a TB since 2 diamonds -> 1 ambrosia -> 1 TB in the lounge shop).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

Do people play this with keyboard and mouse? I really can't imagine playing this for long without a gamepad.

I bet the people who can’t stand the default bow or Exagryph are stuck without a point and click interface!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

How does Artemis double cast boon interact with Hera bow?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you're struggling for Titan Blood and can't beat Hades (reliably) selling your boons in Styx for a guaranteed Diamond or Titan's Blood can eke out a few extras. Obviously, this can make defeating Hades more difficult. But hey, that's what the shield's for!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Maxed Hestia Rail + Artemis Dash Attack is the most powerful combo in the game, fight me if you're wrong about this.

It's not worth playing "bolt action" style at lower ranks, and if you don't get the boon offers you want it's important to remember that you can keep shooting the drat thing (also against the rats in Styx), but at 150 base damage a lot of enemies just... evaporate. If you can get a source of crit and Artemis dash you will see damage numbers over 1000, 1500 if everything goes right (this might require Distant Memory).

It's a bit like if the bow always powershot and you could move around and cast while charging it. But then you add 50 base damage on top of that and it "charges" really fast.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It is never a boss chamber, I don’t know any way to improve the odds beyond one in three.

Edit: I may have been assuming randomness where there was none...

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

I just tried this, and you've found the first rail playstyle I actually like. I didn't even max Hestia and I got my dash bonuses from Chaos instead of Artemis and it still worked great. I even ended up skipping triple bomb in favor of piercing fire because I thought it'd work out better (it did).

Now if only the spear and the shield had alternate playstyles available. I like the shield's charged shot upgrade, maybe get that in there as an aspect?
The spear has three playstyles:

Zagreus aspect: I'm going to stand on the other side of the world and wreck you twice every second, please line up.
Achilles aspect: I'm going to jump behind you and backstab you. If poo poo gets rough I will jump somewhere safe really fast. Also good for recovering bloodstones for casters!
Hades aspect: I will murder you twice as fast as anything just let me spin this up first

Shield has two playstyles:
Chaos: Bullrush! Multiball! Bullrush! Multiball!
Everything else: I guess you can actually attack things if you want to but I just bullrush everything

I assume max ranked Zeus is like a good Ares spell but I hate using that also. Seems like between 2 and 2.5 times a second (with possibly a bonus hit as it crosses over?). That's... decent damage if you can keep things in it, and the shield has pushback on every attack so... also, you can attack before it comes back, which is probably the worst thing about Chaos aspect.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly is the difference between Hell mode and a normal run anyways? I started with Hell mode and I'm not exactly sure what's different.

A few heat options (+100% damage, faster attacks, I can’t remember the other) and one extra not in the regular heat menu: no amount of damage triggers invulnerability (without broken spearpoint).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

PJOmega posted:

In my experience (only 2 successful runs out of 30) if you want a hope of beating them you have to plan from the very first boon for it. There are several runs I hit the third zone and went "this won't finish it, do your best to accrue cash for a diamond/blood, then suicide on poison and push through act 3."
Eraflure streaking 30 games is proof that you don’t have to get lucky with boons to beat Hades.

I think a reliable source of Weak is your best bet when you’re learning his patterns. It also makes the whole game more forgiving. Smartly using an invulnerable aid when you recognize you’re in a bad position has been a rewarding thing for me to focus on.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

They’ve said they’re not going to add new biomes, I hope they add more rooms to existing ones. Asphodel seems to have two rooms total, and one of them is the boat.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Eraflure posted:

Which is strange to me as I think getting a boon in the first room is better than a hammer.
Boons can up your damage more than any hammer upgrade. But:
- hammer upgrades are more “definitive” of how you can utilize boons. A good spell might mean a large damage increase but be basically useless when your hammer upgrade means you just want to spam special attack 24/7 later on. In other words, knowing one of your hammer upgrades can help you choose more appropriate boons to the play style your build ends up in.
- it really feels bad to have to choose between Hermes, Hammer, or Chaos later on in the dungeon

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You can interrupt your sword special with sword swings and vice versa, so don't spam those buttons together.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

PJOmega posted:

Sorry but I genuinely cannot parse what you're saying here.
I think he gets hurt by the additional spawns in Thanatos encounters and he gets all the pain he wants from taking Chaos gates (or possibly using egg and therefore not a better trinket).

I have definitely taken a lot of damage trying too hard to impress Than. Still gunning for a goose egg but one always slips by. Came close with Poseidon spear pushing idiots out of his Zone.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

(oh boy I get a mediocre effect when I die) Feels like the only god that will never let you down is Ares.

The “cause weak when slain” boon is when enemies die, not when you die.

I also basically only like Ares’ call and...nothing else (although his dash has grown on me with ranged weapons).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

Is there a way to tell what room number you are on?

If you inspect your boons it will say “Chamber: 24” in the upper right corner.

I think furies are 15, Hydra is 25, and Theseus is 35.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Are you sure about the special? Coulda sworn it didn't but maybe it's another buff I was expecting multiprocs from.
It definitely doesn't happen per projectile on bow special.

Now someone test it with second cast effect from Artemis boon.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The skelly thing is a quest he gives when you spend enough blood unlocking or upgrading aspects of your weapons, if you want more diamonds max out the Zagreus sword aspect early

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Charm works on the final boss????? :stare:

It’s not a full 4s charm but it seems to interrupt his plans. It’s great if you can spam a special that hits multiple times.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Aside from duration, is there any difference between using your Call on cooldown vs waiting for the full bar to charge up? The wiki seems pretty light on info and I'm usually spamming it when I actually pick a Call.

Each Call has a full gauge bonus that uses all four charges and usually gives 6x duration (Aphrodite just adds a flat amount of damage based on rarity).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

bamhand posted:

What's the fastest way to build your bar? I notice for some builds it goes up super fast while others it takes forever. I assume I'm dealing a roughly equal amount of damage with both since the number of bad guys per level are similar.

It definitely has a per hit cap (or sharp diminishing returns). It charges loads faster with flurry spear than Hestia rail.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

I could be wrong but I think that's 100% dash attack damage, ie the move you do when you dash + attack

This is correct, and the Chaos boons with similar descriptions also boost your dash attack.

I moved dash to right mouse button to help with timing it, it is really good with the Hestia rail.

In other dash attack news, dash attack stops Flurry bow attacking, which is annoying. Flurry bow seems good but boring, it’s obviously better to attack three times than powershot once but you are just a turret.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you use their greater call, the god will have something to say instead!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sex Tragedy posted:

wrong thread? now we wanna know what game you were talking about
Check the AGDQ schedule, but I think it was something in Awful Block.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

Kinda wish there was a keepsake that forced a Daedalus upgrade as your next chamber reward.

Also, last night I opened an Infernal Trove for gems and got a bottle of nectar in addition. Is that a random thing or a bug? I'd never had that happen previously in 70 hours.

I think that happens when you finish a trove spawn very quickly without taking damage, but it may just be random.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

what punishments do you like taking, anyways? they all seem like right fuckers
Athena in Elysium is the worst. Invulnerable shield fuckers just take forever to kill.

No Wave posted:

You get a lot of blood. It takes about 200 blood to max out everything and I know you get at least 20 blood from contracts so clearing each weapon up to 18 heat will get you everything. Getting a favorite weapon of each type up to max will take less than 100 blood and winning up to heat 10 with all the weapons should be doable for anyone (eventually).

I'm still forever short on nectar. Maybe when I can start turning keys into nectar it'll get better.

(this is all moot as I imagine samovar hasnt gotten to the second blood in each run yet)

I never change fate for blue gates, you often end up changing shadow and a small amount of health for... a key to replace the die you just cast.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Eraflure posted:

Yes I have, it's fully upgraded. Didn't get the attack boon I needed this run, so it was thoroughly unenjoyable.

Yeah, the difference between getting at least one +dash damage boon and 0 is huge. Worst is if you go "nah" to Poseidon's wimpy +damage and just... don't get offered another +damage attack boon.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I finally made it past Hydra in a Hell Mode New Game run thanks to (Rare) Doom on Attack, Deflect Dash, and Merciful End. Got the common "+60% doom damage after 0.5 extra seconds" early in Elysium which goes great.

Ended up completely skewered by armored longspears and I really have no idea what to do about them with 1 dash, 1 cast, and no call. Maybe I should have tried to poseidon smash them into the wall somewhere, or just baited them through a trap to remove the armor.

Regardless I had died at Hydra like 10 times so I'm glad to get that milestone. I think I'm done until the next patch (in five whole days).

I haven't gotten the opportunity to check, does anyone know if you can use a trinket you receive during a first run? Only way to get Nectar is the Premium Vintage boon from Dionysus, but you can definitely gift it to a god. The only game I realized this I died before reaching the next transition room (the trinket box just isn't there in most new game runs).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Played a Hestia Rail game with 9 minute pact on. Fastest game to that point but had bad luck in Styx (had a bad setup for killing tons of little things) and ran out of time on Hades 2 but managed to kill him before my health ticked down.

Finally had enough blood so I fully upgraded Poseidon sword and started another game with just Extreme Measures 3 pact, got early Epic Aphrodite cast and Chaos boon for +70% cast damage, everything just melted away. Could NOT get Artemis to give me more casts or exit wounds or burst shot. Honestly I'm not sure how much good Exit Wounds would have done, lots of stuff died before I ran out of casts. Hermes in the last Charon shop gave me +80% cast rate and Hades was a peach, ended up 3 minutes faster (22:38) than when I was intentionally racing with Rail. Tons of time could have been saved just by not doing chests or looking for gold jars.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Break urns when they pop up so there’s a safe zone during the main explosion!

Always pop skulls when he’s invisible, almost never worth popping them when he’s a target.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Persephone herself would die and show up in the underworld for Zagreus to meet.
Why? Do you just mean the annual return she "must" make?

But I think you may be onto something. Hades knows something is keeping Persephone in the underworld, possibly something he did when she tried to leave, possibly something to do with Zagreus being born (hence her letter not mentioning Zag). Winter is permanent because Persephone isn't "out there" for Zagreus to find. This is the reason Hades has forbidden Zagreus to leave.

There are a lot of snippets about gods and mortality. A good bit about Eurydice being a dead divine being. I think somewhere Achilles speculates that Zagreus is a god of mortality? And he may have brought mortality to Persephone.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Xaris posted:

Does the Attack-Hits-Twice hammer-upgrade on the Shield proc Artemis's Seeking Arrows twice?

As of last night, I can certify that the answer is yes, and so does Zeus boon on attack.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

quote:

Apollo Elitist Country Club Member Greg Well I must say, and I don't say it lightly: I'm impressed with your performance, Zagreus. I didn't know what to expect, either, but! You've earned my favor. Now, hasten from that place already, and join your rightful family, up here.
where the gently caress is Apollo, that stuck-up jerk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

Glad the Zag spear is back to how it was (with added damage bonus, actually), and for the reverted price changes.

What's the difference between 'damage' and 'power level' in this context? I guess the latter's just the starting number depending on rarity?

It could be the scaling? I know there’s some weapon where both rare and common Dio attack was 5 damage per tick, but I assume rare version scales better with poms.

Caidin posted:

I wish I could get Zeus or Demeter to talk about each other because her trash talking the other Olympians about how easily she could ruin them at anytime has been pretty great.

Zeus in the Iliad posted:

League all your forces, then, ye powers above,
Join all, and try the omnipotence of Jove.
Let down our golden everlasting chain
Whose strong embrace holds heaven, and earth, and main Strive all, of mortal and immortal birth,
To drag, by this, the Thunderer down to earth
Ye strive in vain! if I but stretch this hand,
I heave the gods, the ocean, and the land;
I fix the chain to great Olympus' height,
And the vast world hangs trembling in my sight!
For such I reign, unbounded and above;
And such are men, and gods, compared to Jove."