Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I'm glad you made this thread because I wanted a chance to revel in this morning's captain america run. In the first room I got deflect-on-dash and in the second room I got deflect-on-special, and then like 2 rooms later I got two extra dashes (which later went up to three extra dashes)...and i just kept on getting more invulnerable!! I got 20+% dodge chance, I got weakness on attack, I got a duo that slowed down incoming projectiles (making them trivial to deflect), and then in the last floor I got athenas legendary which is literally an invulnerability buff.
I also started using the "be invuln for a second after taking damage" trinket because fuckit
It was beautiful

so yeah, strongly recommend athena/aphrodite combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

OutOfPrint posted:

Poison works well with the blessing that makes poison do +100% damage in Festive Fog and the hammer upgrade for the rail gun that turns it into a shotgun. Shooting 5 bullets at a time means enemies hit max poison stacks on the first attack.

Imo if you have the bow or the gun and get the right hammer upgrades and get a whole bunch of really specific/high level blessings and boons and and play well real you can win with poison

but in general it doesnt scale enough for act 3 +

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
once you finish the game you can get extra diamonds/blood/ambrosia/?? by doing challenge-runs. So yeah they're limited and you should use them carefully but there's no use hoarding.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

srulz posted:

I mean, I've just painstakingly fought and defeated the final boss just now only to find out that he apparently has multiple phases so yeah, getting through that "finishing the game" part is actually quite hard.
yes agreed it is hard to start with (took me 17 runs before I won), but a) you the player gits gud and b) you the character unlocks buffs from the mirror, keepsakes, and weapon buffs, so stuff gets easier pretty quickly. Like, I won once in my first 17 runs and then have won 5 times in my next 10. And I'm dogshit at these games.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Xaris posted:

elysium enemies are way more annoying and more likely to gently caress with me
I initially read this as a reference to disco elysium and started to get really mad at how far people go to shoehorn comparisons to that game in everywhere
but im just bad at reading words so it's all okay!!!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

dmboogie posted:

certain characters Than, Meg, Sisyphus, Skelley will give you an additional keepsake that grants you a powerful summon after you get their hearts high enough

presumably this will be the case for every character eventually, the others just arent done yet

i think its only those 4 because you only get it for the characters you can romance

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Lakitu7 posted:

This is really helpful for knowing where to spend the ones I have, but I'm confused how I'm ever going to have more than a handful of titan blood if they only drop once per weapon? I've read something about getting more as you increase difficulty after beating it once, but usually with these types of games I never get good enough to really do very difficult achievements so it seems very plausible that I'm only ever going to have these five, plus maybe five more as I manage to hopefully beat the game and get through the first boss once with each weapon in + mode. How the heck do people have 15, 20+ titan's blood, ever?

Because winning is as much about learning what combos work as it is about better mechanics, and that’s not even counting the mirror buffs you get as you go on.
And winning the game while (say) taking bonus trap damage is barely harder than winning normally.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

tazman posted:

Currently in a run with Hera bow, Burst Shot, Athena's Cast and Artemis' legendary (and a few Well trinkets) so with 7 bloodstones, each shot (Sniper Shot and Enhance Power Shot) means I'm firing what amount to be, tactical nukes. This is by a wide margin the most broken run I've ever had and I love it.

yeah hera bow is disgusting once it gets going
only non absolutely-trivial thing in the run is those rooms in the last zone with millions of tiny rats and you can build around that.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

I keep getting wrecked in Elysium. I had a great shield run where I was dealing so much damage with double Zeus lightning strikes and Artemis homing arrows that I barely used my special, cast, or call. Enemies would just melt away - until I got to Elysium, where as happens every time, the reanimating shield guys combined with mini exploding chariots and butterfly spawners ruined me. The shield guys are the worst; nothing worse than seeing "blocked" on the screen a bunch of times and then suddenly my HP is cut by 1/4th. Any tips?

dash behind them (for shield guys). dash away from them (for chariots). Either focus the butterflies hard, or dash far far away from them and then come back to deal with them when they're the only thing alive.
but yes, elysium is where you work out whether you have a bunch of random skills, or a build.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I've had posidon boons when fighting hades and I saw the "wall slam" text and biggish numbers come up, so typhoon's fury at least isn't completely useless. What I think happens is that the knockback doesn't happen (or only happens microscopically) but if he's standing against a wall when you hit him, you get the increased wall slam bonuses anyway. Not 100% sure, tho, it's not trivial to test.

but you could just not go posideon and murder him easily, instead

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Artelier posted:

Yup, that's the only bottleneck I find personally. Not sure what happens if you run out of time, presumably you just explode and die. Gotta be a more reliable way to clear them all the time.

health ticks down till you die
(I was doing a hades bow cast-run and wasn't thinking, and took a chaos boon that damaged me on attack :gonk:)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Jossar posted:

Or do, because you care about that sweet sweet dialogue...

(Full disclosure, I have everyone at max nectar though not Ambrosia, gotta wait for Dusa's unlock).

The real caveat is that they all have sidequests you have to finish in order to start giving them ambrosia, which for some characters is a bigger pain than the initial bond leveling.

im still chatting up a rock

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Okay I'm sorry, but Hades is some loving bullshit. He hits like a truck and throws out all sorts of unavoidable crap that either hits like a truck or makes stuff hit like ten trucks. I'm starting to really hate this game.

I think it's all avoidable, and once you've done the fight a few times it gets a lot easier. I don't think it's felt unfair after like the first two or three times I did the fight.
It's also super manageable if you plan for him. Eg you can think "hm it would be useful to have some sort of invulnerability on Call during this fight" and then pick a boon that gives you that. Or if you don't get that, get some deflection instead. etc etc. But mostly it gets way way easier as you practice.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cactus posted:

Not sure if I'm missing something but that doesn't seem to be the case? Last run I picked up a cry ability and the meter came below my health, and remained empty for the entire run. Some kind of bug perhaps?

it empties between fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Cactus posted:

Oooh right so thats how it works.

Okay. One more run before bed.

One more.
yeah, on trash fights generally use it as soon as it's up. No real downside (assuming you dont do anything dumb with positioning while trying to use it).