Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Arrrrghhhh new Hydra setup! First non-escape in a while due to losing a couple of DD on that screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Shumagorath posted:

Was that your first EM2 or did they patch in new default behaviour?

I still haven't turned up to EM2 :ohdear:

First EM2. I came to the game pretty late - only on 44 attempts / 8 clears. Trying for my first clear with the rail now, it's the only weapon I haven't done yet.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Chaotic Flame posted:

When your run-starting boon is a hammer

I bought one death defiance replenishment the entire run and just kept getting stronger

3000 wealth?! What did you have bonus wise to get that?

I agree with the above on DD vs SD - I wish I had know about SD earlier in the game when I was losing life constantly, but now I pretty much lose a bit (sometimes) against Hydra, rat caves and sometimes Elysium mobs. Other than that it's just the final boss, so I need DD for that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Only wealth boons I had are in the screenshot. I just never purchased anything the entire run and got that chaos boon very early in the run. I almost bought a Blood in Styx because it was the first time I could afford it lol

That's incredible.

I decided a few runs ago I wanted to do a Blood Run, so specced everything out with the aim of getting as much gold as possible to buy some at the end, took all the wealth chambers, troves that I could on the way.

Got to Styx with 1400 gold or so... and no blood. But on the way had lucked out with a few boons and ended up clearing anyway. *shrug* best laid plans and all.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

There was a diamond, but by that point I had a load of gold and a pretty decent build so thought I'd buy some items and go for the clear instead.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's this setup for future reference? I'm swimming in Blood at the moment since I'm clearing the early Heats, but I feel like it's going to get rare FAST.

It was all focused around having enough gold to buy blood at the end

I’m away from my laptop but from memory it’s along the lines of:
Max out golden touch at the mirror
Take fated authority to reroll rooms
Take dark foresight so you can try and get hoarding slash
Take the coin purse. After the first floor swap for conch shell to boost chance of Poseidon boons which grant coins
And take what ever weapon allows you to clear rooms quickest for treasure troves.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ouroboros posted:

Just got this game and it rules, I have a feeling I must be doing something wrong though; is Hades meant to be such a massive difficulty spike? I can get to him fairly reliably now and I just as reliably instantly eat poo poo every time. He just does so much loving damage, even when I get there with a huge hp pool and a death defiance or 2 in the bag, he just 2 shots me then kills me again before I can do anything. One time I managed to get to phase 2 just because I had such insane damage but I still died within about 10 seconds of the fight starting

I was similar - made it to Hades and then got killed twice in a row. I found the best tricks were:

Take your time with the fight. There's no time limit after all. In stage 1, concentrate on staying away and hitting him once or twice when you get the chance, and the rest of the time kill his spawns as a priority - if he's on the other side of the map he's no danger.

Stage 2 is easier - use the pillars when he uses his lasers (you can also 'hug' him which avoids damage but it's hard to pull off) and just concentrate on taking off a little health at a time when it's safe. Once you get over the fear that this is 'big daddy hades' he's not as tough as you might think.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yes, you'll only ever get 'forced' to take that the first time you encounter it. It can be a great chance to load up and do a fishing run though! Take a Skeletal Lure and jump down a chaos pit, that sort of thing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Having been away from Hades for over a month, I load it up to be greeted with (end boss spoilers)

Ah. I can’t even remember what primary weapon I have, let alone my build.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Oh wow, loads of new posts!

what the gently caress.

I’m currently trying to battle my way out on 32 heat. What’s the highest I’ve done before? Why 2, thank you for asking.

About to drop in on Hydra.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I haven’t played it for a month so thought it would be fun to have a couple of runs like this to see what it’s like. This is my second, first I died at Hydra, reckon I will this time too. Then I’ll try fists, and then I’ll hop back down to ‘reasonable’. For now.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Does that mean, as I suspect it might, it won’t unlock the statue if I haven’t done 31heat first?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

minya posted:

I think this is an exception, actually. If I remember right I jumped up to 20 heat for my 10th victory since I knew it was an automatic win and I’m pretty sure I unlocked both the 8 and 16 statues simultaneously even though I hadn’t gotten close to 19 heat.

It may not surprise you know this will be my 10th victory. Sshhhhhhh

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Red Oktober posted:

Does that mean, as I suspect it might, it won’t unlock the statue if I haven’t done 31heat first?

I did it.

1 heat
2 heat
32 heat.

Unlocked all 3 statues.

Got super lucky with a sack in the second room, timer may have gotten a bit shady after a couple more.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 29, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I was able to beat Hades, it took 64 runs but I did it with the bow
What helped a lot was starting to use Thanatos' Pierced Butterfly keepsake a lot so I understand the importance of dodging/avoiding attacks
Spamming Hades with a Posiedon impact dash and hiding behind pillars was my key to victory

Hi five. The first of many?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m currently trying a run with a level 3 Zeus off the back of some earlier comments and - yeah - not singing for me.

Edit: cleared, but wasn’t feeling it. Felt messy.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 9, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Synergizing a god with themself is so much fun. Full Poseidon is pinball madness, Full Ares makes blades of absolutely destruction, Artemis is crits to high heaven, Demeter is particularly fun by making everyone go slower and slower, and we all know how well Zeus makes things just explode. I think only Dionysus, Athena, and Aphrodite are better mixed with the others.

It doesn't work for Athena, but the idea that Dionysus and Aphrodite mix well with others is wonderfully on brand.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

When you use Charm and hit the enemy after, does it remove Charm?

I have a lot of trouble getting useful value out of it - may just be my play style - especially as it doesn’t count towards Privileged status.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Last Celebration posted:

It took far, far more runs than I’d like to admit to realize there were skulls at all and a few more after that do realize they’re shorthand for harder rooms/mini bosses/better loot. It’s pretty funny how often I fought Tiny Vermin before realizing he’s pretty consistently easy to avoid unless you get super unlucky.

Took me a while too, but it's slightly more complex too.

A skull is a harder room.
A skull with a single chevron is a miniboss.
A skull with two chevrons is an Infernal Gate.
A gold skull with two chevrons and a gold star is a boss.

There's a nice picture here:

According to that guide you can't re-roll from temp to permanent upgrades and vice versa either, which I didn't know.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Eternal Chamber on Lucifer took me through to the final boss effortlessly but then my god did they take an age to kill.

No ramping damage on 17000 and the rest..... health on a 10-damage per tick.... essshhh.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I found the hidden spear really, really hard because it took me up to Styx to realise that holding attack for the charge would heal you.

That's what I get for not reading properly.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Wildtortilla posted:

How does the railgun’s aspect of Hestia work with the Delta Chamber hammer (attack becomes 3 round burst with no reload)? Hestia’s power comes from reloading... normally I’d check this out but I have a load of boons that are really fun and I’d rather not sabotage this run.

I think that you can still reload. You no longer need to, but if you manually reload it'll activate.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah I know, why is one of the last miniboss so easy?

And weirdly, I believe the tiny rat is classed as a proper boss by the game, not a mini boss. I can’t find the post but it’s supposedly coded in as a boss.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's got a health bar on top so yes.

Oh! Thank you - interesting!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s five blood total across all weapons, and I think it’s excluding Zagreus aspects.

So putting 3 blood into rail hestia and 2 blood into one of the spear ones (for instance) should be enough for all of them. It only needs done once and covers all your weapons.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sure, but you can't even play with heat before you beat the game and you unlock Erebus gates almost immediately after unlocking the Contractor.

I had forgotten that - that was a frustrating way to spend my resources back before I cleared.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah that sounds like what I expected. Extreme Measures is such an easy way to inflate heat, but I don't think EM4 is worth it.

Anything up to EM3 is a great way to pump a load of heat in.

I find EM3 easier than EM2 anyway - the chariot running around is something I can just stay out of the way of very easily while I focus on the bull.

edit: VVVV that said, my 32 heat run had EM4 in it and that part was pretty trivial because it was clear number 10. edit 2: EM3.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 4, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Unless they changed it after I started playing, it can't have been - you don't unlock EM4 until after that.

I’ve just checked and you’re absolutely right - it was EM3 and I’m misremembering.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Thanks - it wasn't easy and I've had much 'better' builds since as well.

I'm now back to a normal 5-7 heat or so, just wanted to unlock that statue.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mendrian posted:

I think Elysium is kind of a gear check zone in that enemies suddenly have way more hp and so much of the survival there is just about not being sloppy.

Elysium is definitely the zone where I start to realise that my build might not be good enough to beat the final boss - as I notice that my DPS is just not high enough.

Also, whoever thought it was ok to put Elysium enemies in Tartarus Erebus Gates was absolutely wrong..

Specifically the flame wheels, of course.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Extreme Measures and Tight Deadline are pretty much free heat - I'd start with them for sure.

Extra damage from traps (Heightened Security maybe?) sounds like an easy one to take but it absolutely is not.

And yeah, feel that about the witches.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Omobono posted:

Extreme measures 1 may possibly be free. EM2 isn't free in my opinion. EM3 absolutely isn't free.
Having said that, they're comparatively easy modifiers for the heat they give so one might as well get used to them.

(EM4 should be 16 heat on its own instead of the actual 10 but there's a reason it's locked behind a lot of plot progression and not what the quoted post was talking about)

I find EM1 free for sure - especially if you get Tisiphone - I find her even easier than Meg.
EM2 is not free for sure.
EM3 - I think this is easier than non-EM3 - mostly because Theseus just circles around and is trivial to dodge.

By 'free heat' I really mean 'always worth taking because they're easy for the heat they give', I suppose.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If you pull up your info you can see if you can give ambrosia / nectar to a god at the minute. If there is a lock on it then you need to progress something to unlock that. Do you have a lock on Aphrodite? I think she’s linked to your thanatos / Meg / dusa romances. Once you max those it should unlock, but I have seen reports that it can be bugged.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's a hammer that takes away the beams reload, but if you don't get that, the beam isn't great great.

The special is where it's at, they damage passively and will explode if damaged by anything. So it's about laying traps and having them going off all together, as if they were mines.

Importantly, you can only have 3 mines out at a time. If you launch a fourth, the first explodes. You can see how you can use this to cause chain explosions. It's a cool special but it's not run and gun.

The hammer that takes away the reload stops the damage ramping though so it's got quite a downside too, especially in Elysium and against the final boss.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I always assumed the same.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

A handy little graphic for unlocking aspects.

https://xd.adobe.com/view/b90bd0e4-4ae8-400b-709d-3305de01e6b3-cf3a/?fullscreen

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My clear for guan yu consisted of me always keeping one regenerating enemy alive in the final fight so I could farm them for health.

Kill them, heal, wait for them to regenerate. Repeat.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Wildtortilla posted:

I watch for the flash in the area above the bobber. If I watch the bobber I botch it every time. The flash is the only thing that matters.

This is the way for me as well - look away from the bobber so you’re not registering it and there is a white flash about an inch away when the fish bites.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

indigi posted:

I always just listen, I’ve never missed a catch that way. close your eyes and wait for the deep “ploop” sound

Also: there’s fish in Chaos’ realm?? what the gently caress

There are indeed - three different types.

Once I'd caught one next time through Chaos mentioned that I'd been fishing in her domain.

If anyone is missing a few more there are also three in Greece, either directly behind the final boss, at the other end of the arena from where he spawns, on the route to the cottage, and behind the cottage..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

indigi posted:

I still need the legendary in Asphodel and the commons in Greece and Elysium. I’m having the opposite problem where I can’t delay my reaction to get the lovely fish

The common in Greece was my last one for exactly that reason. although getting a titan blood instead dulls the disappointment a little.