Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just got this in the sale, had about 7 or 8 runs so far. I can get to the snake boss in the second area but he kicks my ars right now, so I'm focusing on getting keys and purple gems to upgrade my core stats and abilities to make the fight a little easier. Game is starting to open up, and more and more upgrade paths are becoming apparent. I love this structure.

As with all Supergiant games the writing and delivery is top notch. But the gameplay is also great, which has often been a "could be better" thing in most of their games, and the writing and characters have carried a lot of their past games, for me. But in this one they both work hand in hand to deliver an almost unique experience. This is the Ur-Supergiant game. The "if you only have time to play one Supergiant game, make it this one" one.

So that said, a question or two:
How do I charge the 4-segment meter that enables me to use the crys?
Are there any resources I need to be careful about spending, or do you get everything fully unlocked in the end and the order in which you do so is nothing more than a matter of preference of playstyle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Incoherence posted:

Dealing or taking damage. You probably won't get to use the Greater Call except on bosses.

Not sure if I'm missing something but that doesn't seem to be the case? Last run I picked up a cry ability and the meter came below my health, and remained empty for the entire run. Some kind of bug perhaps?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oooh right so thats how it works.

Okay. One more run before bed.

One more.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Under what circumstances would it ever be a good idea to sell your boons? Whenever I get to the end of an area I always look at it and think No, I need all these, I don't want to go back to the lovely default for the next, harder, area.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I haven't managed to beat the elysium bosses yet so I'm still pretty green. I put all my titan blood into the shield because I had a really good run with it, but I still cant decide which is my actual favourite weapon besides "the last one I used" so I use the bonus purple Crystal award to decide now. Saving up 1000 for another extra life so I can brute force that boss.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The only legendary boon I've ever seen so far is one that auto-returned my cast spells. Combined with the spinning blade from War, extra casts from the mini-shop that lasted 7 rooms with a keepsake, and rapid-fire, I sunk like 5 or 6 pomegranates into it and it shredded. So yeah I'd never have sold that lol.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Dionysius's voice actor definitely has a lot of fun doing his lines, he's probably my favourite to listen to of the lot.

I like Zag a lot too, but there's something a little off whenever he says 'Mate' which I can't quit put my finger on, but as someone from a Mate saying country you can definitely tell his VA isn't used to it.

Yeah I noticed that too. Not sure what it is but he's maybe saying it with the "t" a little bit too accentuated. He reminds me of the actor that plays Lucifer in, well, Lucifer.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

For the Hydra I tend to split the arena into two halves when the extra heads come out, and spend around 20 seconds or so just in one half dodging and getting hits in on the nearest heads whenever I can, and then when it starts to get too hectic I dash over into the other half of the arena where there's space, because they haven't been focussing their fire there, and do the same. The mobs travel slowly enough that I can see them coming across the screen and get them if I need to, or simply dash back over to the other now-clear half again if the "don't walk here" patches are starting to pile up and the mobs are starting to surround me.

Always be dodging, but only dodge into the specific half of the screen you're in until it's time to move over. The strat works well enough that I rarely lose a life to that fight now.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

First run after the update installed resulted in my first win!

It was a bit of a random mishmash boon selection without too much synergy but my main attack ended up being really strong, carrying me through, plus getting Blizzard Shot right before the fight with Hades really helped as well. At least now I have a clue what you're all going on about when you talk about "heat."

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Haven't played in months since I beat it once, just before a patch released that added loads of stuff to the mirror and I got info-overloaded. I'm waiting until 1.0 and then I'm deleting my save and starting again.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That as of writing this post only 7% of the Steam playerbase has the achievment Three-Headed Boy is an absolute downright travesty. C'mon folks, show Cerby some love.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I hope the sequel does what dead cells does and gives us more biomes and branching paths through them to make each run more varied. One of the reasons I didn't get 100% completion in Hades 1 was that I got so bored of seeing the same 4 levels time after time and it caused me to fall off the game.

Speaking of, were there ever any mods made for this game that added new levels, monsters, weapons, abilities, story content, or boons? With a game this beloved I'd imagine someone somewhere has done something? Can't find much on Nexus though.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The game desperately needs alternate zones like how dead cells did it, just to vary it up a little. Being bored of those same 4 zones with the same trashmobs each time was what got me to fall away before seeing all the story content. I'll probably watch all the story beats in time for the sequel but it's such a shame I'll never get to go through them myself.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

lih posted:

the main thing i really want to see is ways for runs to have a bit more variety between them, like different areas you can choose between in a run with their own enemies etc.

Absolutely this. Even if you still only need to clear 4 or so areas to beat the game they need to build at least double that number and have a dead-cells type system where you can pick your route
(or have it picked for you) just to add some variety to a by-design already repetitive gameplay loop.

That's one thing I was surprised to not be able to find when I looked a while back - Mods for Hades that give extra levels, weapons, boons and monsters. Hell, with what AI is capable of these days you could even mod in some fully-voiced fan-fiction-tier additional story dialogue. Like I'm sure most of it would be laughably terrible but I'm surprised that for a game this popular it hasn't been tried, or at least I've not looked in the right places to find it if it has.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I won't even use a new aspect until I've got it maxed. Got over half of them now. The last one i got was i think the 4th bow one, something about Rama? That's an interesting new way to play. I'm currently farming for the 4th gun aspect.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

How many levels of heat would you have to have spread over all the weapons in order to get the final titan blood you need to max all the weapons?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Better keep plugging away then. Should be done in time for the sequel if I play on and off like I have been. edit: pretty sure by now I've had a fair bit more than 11 bloods from the merchant. Inefficient.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 11, 2024

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Silksong fans pressed up sadly against the glass, looking in enviously, not wanting to go back to their cold, dark, silent cave.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

As a Silksong refugee I concur.

I got a crazy build the other day, everything just melted.

It was Talos fists, and I think what was happening was I was sucking them in with the special and applying Weak, then punching Hermes-fast and applying multiple stacks of doom with the Dire Misfortune Boon, which were then all re-applying constantly with the Curse of Longing Boon in an exponential damage arc. I'm sure there are caps on how much this stuff can stack but it felt really insane. For a laugh I decided to kill Theseus first for once and I swear it felt like he was dead in 15-20 seconds.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm not ready for Lades Two yet because I've still a few achievments to mop up in One. And I'm glad of it; I bought No Rest for the Wicked and a few other small indies this month and I still have the 2023 backlog to clear.

I feel like we're living in a gaming golden age ironically brought about by covid stalling all development for a while, with loads of projects coming to fruition in the same 24-month period. With this one, I'm more than happy to wait till 1.0 (or at least until I've finished playing current stuff and start losing willpower) and thanks to Supergiant actually releasing information and a playable version of their product that everyone has been slavishly waiting for, having that option there weirdly makes it far easier for me to pop a purchase either this or next payday, and then forget about it until the future arrives. This way they get our money while preserving all of the goodwill the amazingness of the first game engendered.

This is how you manage the development, marketing and release of a highly-anticipated sequel to an acclaimed modern classic whose fans adore, and made possible, your passion project. Well done Supergiant, may your example be a shining lead for others to follow, or learn from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh god I've clicked so thoroughly with the axe that every time I try one of the other weapons I'm like "why would I want this, when I could just have The Axe?"