Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Don't know why I didn't seek this thread out earlier but I started this game about a week or two ago and while I often get frustrated when losing, it's hard to overstate how ridiculously good Hades is. The depth and complexity and variety that just keeps being unveiled is incredible. There are all kinds of little convenient touches, too, that I just didn't expect to work like how with a Boon selection in front of you you can still pull up your build HUD or rifle through the Codex. Feels like something in other games I'd have to remember on my own.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i could never figure out how to reliably hit something with the Aphro cast, even when it seems like im point-blank with the enemy. Def my least favorite cast in the game which is a shame since it does pretty good damage and i usually love shotgun type weapons in games

I love that cast with the upgrade that boosts its range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Am I right in thinking there's little point in selecting Crit Chance boons or aspects unless I'm going all-in on a Crit Chance build?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, died to Hades last night after a good run and having all 3 DD. Embarrassing. The game knows how to mess me up in that fight. So far I've only been able to win with weapons where I can keep my distance. Haven't won yet with the sword or fists.

QuarkJets posted:

That depends on what you mean, crit chance is good most of the time and synergizes extremely well with any other damage boost so I often take an Artemis boon if I can get one. You absolutely don't need to be going all-in to see really good benefit out of straightforward +X% crit on attack. But stuff like Hide Breaker that only applies when you crit, yeah, I wouldn't take those unless I was planning to crit a lot

What I meant was, is it worth taking one Boon that adds a few % points of chance when that means my total chance is still going to be low (is the default zero?) instead of another Boon that will more reliably do something for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Klyith posted:

Getting an extra dash from Hermes is a massive help with the melee weapons. It makes it easy to dodge the circle sweep attack, then use the 3rd dash to zip back in and get a good attack string when he's standing still.

The extra dash is nice but I almost never build specifically for Hermes because I don't care about most of his Boons. When I have worn his Keepsake to try and get him (still need to get Flurry Cast to finish his prophecy, c'mon) it's still luck of the draw to get that Dash.

Though, I would like to try a Hermes + Vengeance build with the sword's Cursed Slash.

But yeah, with Hades it often isn't him specifically that ruins me but his summons and the exploding skull shockwaves. Not sure if the summons he uses are random or if the game tries to exploit your weaknesses but it often feels like the latter! Like getting the armoured chariot yesterday against my sword build or when I don't have a good Deflect and I go up against a bunch of wizards blasting those purple orbs everywhere.

Smiling Knight posted:

Yes, crit chance for most weapons is zero.

Base crits do double damage. So, for example, Epic level Pressure Points (+4% crit chance on all damage) provides an overall damage boost of (2*.04=.08) 8%.

Wait, where did the 2x come from?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Klyith posted:

Hermes' keepsake doesn't improve your chance to see him, or boon odds. It gives you a cumulative dodge chance that gets better every time you clear a room under a time limit. So when you use it you want to equip it at the start and never switch off. (And pick for high damage output so you can keep clearing quickly. Max aggro.)

Do you have everything from the mirror unlocked yet? The last unlocks are RNG control, which is how you get really effective builds.

Oh right, duh. Forgot what his Keepsake does without looking at the menu in front of me.

I do have the whole mirror unlocked but the bottom benefits are expensive so I don't have much % chance in them yet. I'm about 1 run away from being able to unlock the Persuasion one, forget what it's called (the more expensive one for 1K Darkness).

Klyith posted:

The skull shockwaves should be easy -- dash straight at them to go through, and the timing window is generous. Just don't hang around next to the skulls when they're counting down. Much easier when you see the ring coming.

The shockwaves aren't tricky in and of themselves but when dodging away from or through Hades' attacks and the other things happening I find it's the rings that end up getting me. Especially when I dodge in the same direction they're going because it can end up costing me multiple hits. That's basically the game in a nutshell when using a melee build, needing to maintain composure so each movement is precise in timing and direction, and against Hades is when the game is almost at its worst for throwing so much at you (I say almost because other encounters can be harder in any given moment but they are all so much shorter than the Hades fight).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kheldarn posted:

So I initially wanted to get this game when it came out, but then I saw PartyBug's (abanonded) LP, and changed my mind, because it looked too much like a bullethell, which is a gamestyle I don't enjoy, so I changed my mind.

I have no idea why, but I recently changed my mind (again), and put it on my Steam Wishlist. I just bought it last night, and I've done... I actually don't know how many runs. I do know that I frequently found myself saying, "OK, last run for now," only to start another run after, and thing, "Wait... that was supposed to be the last run. OK, last run for now"...

Game's very good.

So far, I've made it out of Tarterus once, unlocked the Tooth from Skelly and have it Rank 2, got Cerberus' Collar, and I have Rank 1 Heal On Leaving A Chamber, Extra Dash, Rank 1 Deth Defy, and Chance For Infernal Chests. I'm saving up 500 Darkness to get a 2nd Death Defy from the Mirror, and I need 2 (I think?) more keys to unlock the Fists. Any tips for a new player?

If you want to know how many runs you've done there is an upgrade you can get (maybe not available yet) for your bedroom that will tell you. And then later something else entirely in the House that will give you detailed stats on each attempt.

As for tips, I'd just prioritize learning enemy attacks, spreading Nectar around so that you've given at least 1 to every one you meet (you will eventually get something to help you track this stuff), and earning as many Keys and Darkness as you can. Keys open up weapon options and expand your Mirror, while Darkness will then let you buy and rank up the Mirror stuff.

Gems are great too but I didn't really start to try and earn more until after I unlocked all of the Mirror.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This was my first clear with the spear. The very first thing I got when I began the run was a Daedalus hammer and I tried the option for the Special that I hadn't done before. And then the first Boon I got was the Heroic Dionysus Cast that lobs huge damage and inflicts Hangover.

That was basically my whole build right there. Just melt enemies by lobbing big booze grenades and spamming Special. Everything else was just a nice bonus.

The funny thing is I spent some Titan Blood to get Punishing Sweep for the spear and was going to try and focus on that for my run but by the end I had really only used it in situations where I had time to charge it up next to an enemy spawning in. Even with a Hermes Boon I got late that sped up the charge I didn't use it much so I'm thinking I'll focus on other Aspects for the spear instead.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 2, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Klyith posted:

To see a list of all a god's possible boons, open the Codex, look at the god, and press the boon list. (There's a prompt telling you that in the lower right.)

Although it should be said that for beginning players neither of these things are available from the start. The Codex and the upgrade for it that shows a god's Boon list both have to be purchased.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I dont know how to check boons and i assume im just dumb af

That particular view in my screenshot was also not the normal Build screen but a crop of the Clear screen the game gives you after a successful run. Like the regular Build screen, you can select and deselect Boons, etc. for what I assume is for sharing with people.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 2, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I hadn't beaten the game with Fists yet and I still needed to collect some Demeter boons to finish that prophecy so I went in trying to stick to her and then Artemis and luckily I was able to get another killer floating diamond Chill laser barrage build. The magnetic fists are great for putting a wall or pillar between you and an enemy and repeatedly slamming them into it, especially if you get any of Poseidon's boons for extra damage on that. But I was mostly killing enemies just from my 4 beam Casts.

Kheldarn posted:

Managed to get 1 (one) Diamond. Should I spend it on the Fishing Pole or to free (M)Orpheus?

Fishing is good for resources but relationships take a while to build up so I'd start with Orpheus sooner rather than later.

And you got Urge to Kill level 4? Nice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Finally got enough Clears to beat the main story. Kind of anticlimactic though that I had such a high-powered build for Adamant Rail and hadn't beaten the final boss with it yet, and the battle was taken away from me.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How do you guys usually go about putting together a casting build? I've done a lot of attack / special focused runs but casting always feels clunky to me and I'm guessing there's some combo of weapon / aspect / boons that make it feel a lot better. Like Dio's cast always feels strong when I stumble into it, but I just don't see how it outdamages the other approaches when you have to juggle cast charges.

If you can get Demeter and Artemis boons the two of them combined make for an awesome beam Cast. Ideally you can get an upgrade from Chaos for an extra Cast, and if you're really lucky you can get two more from Artemis' Legendary. I've used that with the shield for protection, and it also works well with the Fists' 2nd Aspect for using a Special to boost Cast damage.

I just did another Cast-based run tonight that worked super well. Using Aspect of Hera on the bow, you can add Cast damage and Boons to your regular Attack. With some good Artemis boons and a Hammer that turned my Attack into a triple burst, my arrow damage was ridiculous. Up to you whether this is defined as a Cast build since it's piggybacking onto Attack but Cast is really the strength of it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm no high-level player but from my own experience and seeing discussions online it seems like there is always another side to the argument. The more I play the more brilliant the game becomes in terms of how many viable options there are and how so many pieces of the game interact with each other. Like maybe Dionysus' Cast isn't great for damage by itself, I'll let others argue about that, but the speed of Hangover's hits is good for building God Gauge either in tandem with other damage or if you need to focus on dodging.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure how Extreme Measures changes things but you can definitely get behind the bosses a lot, though when there are multiple Furies it can get a lot more hectic. Only one I'm not sure about is Lernie. Does any head have a "back" to hit?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The most satisfying hits against Hades are when he's firing his lasers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

KittyEmpress posted:

I wish I was actually good at this game. I mean I've beaten it eith all weapons up yo 10+ heat and done EM4 runs and all but I don't feel like I really learned any patterns or got really specifically good at playing. I just spam dash and win by never letting up on that button.

I think that is pretty good. The game itself by way of looking at the trophies doesn't expect most players to go all the way. I think 16 Heat is the highest if you want all trophies.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 4, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wittgen posted:

There is a 32 heat skelly statue. It's really tough.

I mean like PSN trophies. The game is built to go well beyond the trophy requirements obviously but getting the plat is a good measure of skill (in Hades, not necessarily for all games).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wish the Heat modifiers didn't include stuff that messes with making or keeping a build. Would rather more stuff that was about the enemies or levels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I suppose by the time I could get good enough to worry about having all Heat modifiers turned on and turned up the second game might be out and I'd just switch to that

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For the gun I think the game doesn't have a good default control scheme. Having to move your thumb off the face buttons to reload is a real drag. Since trying out the gun I've moved the Codex to the right joystick click instead so Reload can be on a trigger.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kheldarn posted:

And this was the result of my first run with it:

It's SO FAST! I got him down to ~50% Health before I died.

You were on a tear there. Only at the half-hour mark partway through the last fight would one of my faster times. Was your main thing Dash-Striking everybody?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, now that I know to hug Hades to avoid his hellfire lasers and if I get extra dashes from Hermes, Hades can hardly ever touch me in the last fight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh drat, I just got Aspect of Arthur! I've always loved Arthurian mythology. Excalibur looks awesome and it hits like a truck! Aphrodite is one of the best damage boosters for Attack and Special so I've got one of her Boons but it's still early into my run. This thing should be real fun to make different builds out of.

Thought about what Klyith was saying a few pages back about single-target DPS so I tried out the bow's Aspect that locks your Special onto the last target you Attacked and that worked out really well. Having max stacks of Hangover hit an enemy instantly was nice. The game was pushing Dionysus on me but if I could get a bunch of Artemis onto that thing it would probably vaporize anything. Although I'd also like to try Demeter for fun and try to get Chill explosions popping off on everyone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FireWorksWell posted:

Try Arthur with Artemis on Attack sometime.

Definitely. Would like to see how Hermes or a Daedalus hammer would improve crit Attacks. Haven't had Hermes show up yet and I've still got 1 Hammer left in the run.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

christmas boots posted:

Arthur never clicked with me, I felt it just changed the pace of a run too much for me

Takes some adjustment because of the speed of the swings but using a combo of Dash and Special like a cancel helps a lot, I find.

The aura does seem like an odd mechanic though because enemies are very mobile in this game and the arenas can be huge. I saw that there was a Hammer that increased its size by a lot but I'd rather the aura was either around me or it could be moved with each new Special. But it would be cool to pair with Athena and maybe some Hermes and see how high I could ratchet up my defence. Kind of the point, right? Wielding Excalibur to make the user invincible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hawgh posted:

One of my earliest heat-climbing successes was the Excalibur with Aphrodite. It's dash-attacks are still pretty quick, and when you get the time to get off a special against a boss the damage reduction combined with weak means you can just stand there and wail on them and damage race them down.

That's the idea I'm going with at the moment. Haven't reached the end of Tartarus yet though so we'll see what Boons I'm actually offered. I've got Aphrodite's keepsake equipped and I'm hoping I don't have to keep wearing it through Asphodel as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nice! You blitzed through it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oof, Aspect of Lucifer is very cool but I do not like that triple beam it becomes from one of Daedalus' hammer. Thankfully I ended up not even using the beam much by the end because I ended up with Triple Bomb and both Tidal Dash and Cast, which I used to detonate the Hell bombs. I was just a frenzied sapper zipping around bombing everything and knocking them repeatedly into walls for big damage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EM doesn't make much of a difference to me for the middle two bosses. But it's a radically different experience for the Furies.

Even non-EM I still don't quite get what Tisiphone's deal is. Maybe I should grab the shield one day and just sit and pay attention but she catches me a lot with attacks that seem like they have a delay longer than you'd expect.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Trying to fulfill the Pacts prophecy and I'm doing the one where you have to purge a boon before leaving the fountain room between stages. My plan has been to wear the shackle keepsake so that I can take any random boon for Special and not care about it because a 75% boost to Attack with Excalibur is drat good all by itself. And Hermes boons, Chaos upgrades, Hammers, and items can all still improve Attack/Special/Cast without running afoul of the shackle restrictions.

It's worked out really well, especially since I've been lucky with the game serving up boon purge options that are passives or utility anyway, like Poseidon's loot boon.

Also I saw this on Reddit today:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gotcha, thanks. Seemed a bit odd because I would have sworn it uses the head slam more than that image suggests.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Working up to the point where I can have a base level of Heat 5 on for all weapons. Tight Deadline is pretty easy to keep on, at least at Rank 1. And EM 1-3 isn't too bad either but the sisters have a knack for bleeding me.

Still probably want to finish the game with a couple more hidden Aspects so I can complete those prophecies. If Zeus would ever like to offer me his Legendary boon I could finally complete that prophecy as well but I guess I have offended the RNG gods for that one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Most of the legendaries have prerequisites, so for Zeus, make sure you have one of the following:

Storm Lightning, Double Strike or High Voltage

Ran into this with Hermes where I had never switched back to the prerequisite mirror talent and beat the whole game never once seeing Bad News.

I've done everything. I double-check the prereqs each time, I'll wear his Keepsake to get him more often, I'll use the Fated mirror talents to either get him more often or reroll his offered Boons when he does show, I use that other talent to increase my chances of seeing Legendaries, etc. It was a tried & true method I used for every other god but for Zeus I have just been unlucky. Literally. It's just rolls of the dice that aren't going my way.

indigi posted:

Tight Deadline is so good for getting your speed up

They could probably explain it better because once you learn that going under the limit for a region adds the time difference onto the next one it makes so much more sense. I had 20+ minutes to do Styx which isn't really a time limit at all. And the game is really fair and sensible about stopping the clock for menu choices, dialogue, and the rooms in between regions. And fishing!

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 13, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

well shucks, sounds like youre gonna have to keep doing runs until he gives up the goods then

Based on his reputation it's very unlike him!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Riven posted:

Yeah sometimes the RNG just sucks. I remember trying to get Chaos to give me the dialogue for one of the hidden aspects and just dying on purpose over and over again after each time I hit a Chaos portal and didn’t get it, and I think it took 30 or 40 of those short runs.

At least with mine I can understand why they wouldn't want to change the pure RNG but there should definitely be a priority to have characters give up the hidden aspect secret phrases because that's locking away a whole slew of gameplay options and prophecies and achievements without a way for the player to actively work toward them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's interesting because I'm currently in the Nyx-Chaos reunion story but I recently got Beowulf.

The phrases have seemed random only because of seeing other people talk online about how long it's taken them to get some (assuming you've met the minimum requirements for the phrases). But even if it's not true luck, a player might be unfortunate in the sense that they will all be at different places in their games when trying to do things. I think taking a long time to give nectar to people (I've been spending them on trading up to get to diamonds and blood) has helped me in that regard because I wasn't in the middle of dozens of stories to block any dialogue I wanted. Once I got my first aspect the rest fell like dominoes.

Klyith posted:

But not the boon list alone, which I'd really like to have do a pause. The one bit I hate about tight deadline is when I'm trying to choose the next door with two or three gods available, and I'm trying to review what boons I have and what the options for build synergy are.

Yeah, that's when it helps to go outside the game. The pause menu stops the clock so I can look up a boon list. Although that does require remembering what you already have.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 13, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know about the other stages. I usually just wear the Keepsake to get that first Boon as you start the run but sometimes for god keepsakes I'll just keep it equipped anyway to rank it up faster. Especially for Asphodel where I don't really care which one I've got equipped.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You don't actually get Heroics offered as boon choices, right? Except when they are offered as replacements for core boons you already have? I think I read it somewhere but it also fits with my experience that I either need to pick the replacement Heroic or increase the rarity of an Epic that I have.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sydin posted:

Also Rare Crop which will eventually max out whatever boon(s) it hits at Heroic.

Getting Demeter late into Tartarus for this rules. I got 2 or 3 Heroics from it the other day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Because I know you were all dying for an update I finally got my Zeus Legendary Boon. Filled out that prophecy but even nicer was completing the Pacts prophecy. Good shot in the arm to get 15 blood all at once to beef up some Aspects.

What's everyone's favourite Keepsake to use in Styx? Lately I've been using the one that gives a % damage boost for each Encounter cleared without taking damage to try and get at least a 10% overall boost by the time I fight Hades.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, I don't know if I could do high heat with the Rail. I have a good rhythm with dash-cancelling the Reload by putting it on L1 instead of R3 but it would still be tough to manage when the encounters get super intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nihilarian posted:

i'm currently trying to get the pierced butterfly achievement, but normally i use the pom until the last cabinet, where i swap to the tooth to give me an extra defiance. I can't imagine swapping to pierced butterfly late, only the boss rooms in Styx count for it

drat, I didn't check the %. I had noticed the Plume % not going up from those rooms when I tried it once but just thought I wasn't going fast enough (the game never tells you what fast actually means). Well, at least that narrows down my choices.