Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Someone posted:

“A relative of the Booster family, named Jean, has taken his father’s tower after his passing. Jean and his Snifits prepare as Mario enters his tower. Little does Mario realise, a queen named Silver is plotting domination over Mario’s world. Jean attempts to hide the plan but his Snifits reveal it out loud. In boredom, they order an XL Pizza, but lose the phone number to call it again. Meanwhile in Moleville, Silver assembles a squad of minions to take over the world. Her powers are weak… but, she is gathering strength to prepare for what seems like domination. Mario obtains an item called the Wonder Stone which allow him to access Silver’s hometown, 15 years ago. On his way to her lair, he encounters a mysterious person called Dark Doom. Dark Doom happens to be a retired fighting instructor, who taught kids to defend themselves. Mario takes him on and gets transported to “Hometown”. Put in the memories of Silver’s past, Mario finds that she was abused her whole life and fights off a squadron of Koopas as Silver. He also finds “Nightmare” and fights off the evil side of her. Mario meets one of Silver’s friends, Damon. He is being trained by Doom to help with fighting. Eventually, Mario finds Silver in the door of the Wonder Stone and finishes off the queen. Then, Jean comes in to wrap things up. Meeting again after a long time, Silver realises from Mario what it means to be a good person. Then they get together and Mario’s adventure comes to a close.”

Update 1 - RPOOOYYX
Update 2 - This is my personal let's play
Update 3 - More plans, more killing.
Update 4 - DARK DOOM
Update 5 - What do you want, idiot?
Final Update - NO THIS CAN'T BE!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Update 1 - RPOOOYYX

This is the entire intro screen.

Let's go with Gilbert. For now, anyway...

We can only access the tower and the pass for now.

Default L1 stats, no gear, Mario only.

Like in the original, we're greeted by a Snifit.

The battle music is a remix of the initial Booster plaza theme, the one that plays before the actual Booster theme kicks in.

Unlike the original, this Snifit has no problem steamrolling a L1 Mario with no gear.

Also we have no save point access yet. Hooray...?

Maybe we're supposed to go to Booster Jean Pass.

Doesn't end well here either.

At this point I start entering gibberish because I expect I'll be doing this a few times. And I'm not wrong...

This fight is actually winnable. Here we fight a Snifit Jr. and an ORB USER.

The ORB USER has sky-high defense but only 4HP.

The Snifit Jr. is pretty weak. The ORB USER hits hard, but at least it's not a one-shot.

The ORB USER can also heal, which...eh. The good thing about this is that the ORB USER misses the next turn after healing, so Mario won't get walloped.

The Snifit Jr. will go down in one or two hits, so overall this isn't too bad, except for the fact that we currently lack any means of HP recovery.

The puzzle still exists, not that I remember about it. It's been like fifteen years since I played this game, so my memory is fuzzy as hell and I'll be relying a lot on LeaveMyWife's LP of the game to catch the differences between the original and this hack.

Really, avoiding combat is a necessity due to the complete lack of healing items so far.

Jean: Although as with normal life,

I'm not cutting anything out here. We jump straight from that thought to the next:

Jean: This tower has been passed down and given to the person after.

Well, alright then.

Oh gently caress you.

There's a save point a few rooms into the tower, but we've got to reach it first!

Also I explore both rooms of Jean Pass, but there's nothing of interest there yet besides a flower to give us a Flower Point. The foes here will kick Mario's rear end right now.

This Flower Tab is still there. Once we get techniques beyond Jump, this'll be nice.

The Rob-ombs here aren't too bad. They can explode and kill you with one hit, but sometimes they won't do anything.

The former is what happens to me, though.

Sometimes the Snifit Jr.'s will spawn with a Chaos Clown, who will throw cards at you for a third of your max HP. This is essentially another wipe.

Eventually I make it through the Rob-ombs...

...and grab the Masher from the chest. It's a ten attack boost over being unarmed, so yeah, I'll take it.

The Hammerquin will leap in the air and then hit us with a hammer. It's not too bad, honestly.

Later.

The retro room is glitched so that this sprite shows up whenever Mario doesn't move. Otherwise it behaves as normal.

Right now you want to avoid everything you can until you reach the save point.

OH THANK GOD

I completely forgot this puzzle existed, so I didn't solve it. I'll do that next time.

Key thing to remember here. This is my sole way of healing right now, so I better make it count!

I decide to backtrack for now and check out Jean Pass now that I hit some random switch.

Along the way I beat up a free Rob-omb and trigger a level up.

And at this point BizHawk crashed and exited out. I'm not really upset.

Next time, we'll see if there even is a next time!

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
What the gently caress?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I, uh. Yeah. Monstrous enemy difficulty right off the bat, and not even an easily reached pity savepoint to spare some time?

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
This looks like it sucks rear end.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Story that's complete nonsense to read?
Unfairly high difficulty?
Hard to get save points?
Terrible grammar?
Game literally crashes?

Yup, that's a fan hack alright. Can't wait to see where this goes (if it goes anywhere)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Find ways to break the game so the creator gets mad at your for ruining their vision.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

:psyduck:

There are good SMRPG hacks out there. Why are you doing this?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Wait why did your save say Mario's Pad and not Booster Tower?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Rosalie_A posted:

Wait why did your save say Mario's Pad and not Booster Tower?

If I had to guess, the romhack changed around the interior of locations in the data, instead of their relation to each other so Booster Tower is "located" in the space that Mario's pad was and they didn't change the localization that named it as such when you save there.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Terrible Romhacks are hilarious!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh lord this looks like it would be incredibly painful to play through. I look forward to this trainwreck of a rom hack :munch:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Wow what the gently caress

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm at a point where I can survive fine in the tower between item drops and leveling up giving a full heal, but apparently L5 is too low a level to fight Jean as he can do a massive chunk of damage to you, so I'm probably going to have to grind some more. Yep!

Also I'll start posting the new battle themes next update. One of them is certainly something...

Also also things don't make any more sense from here.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

not emptyquoting

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
what the poo poo

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Leal posted:

Find ways to break the game so the creator gets mad at your for ruining their vision.
Also, this.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mega64 posted:

Also also things don't make any more sense from here.

Believe me, I wasn't expecting otherwise.

These things only get more ridiculous.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Can't wait to see the fireball room except EVERY TILE triggers a fireball battle. Calling it now.

Though to be fair, a lot of romhacks were like that back in the da-

:stare:

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 19, 2019

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Oh boy, this is gonna be SPECIAL

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

how

why

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Goodguy3 posted:

Can't wait to see the fireball room except EVERY TILE triggers a fireball battle. Calling it now.

What unholy god(dess) has allowed such things to happen?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ground floor!

Of Booster Tower.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

What the gently caress?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

For some reason the out-of-place reference to one of my favorite Let's Players especially irks me. I pray you show this game as little mercy as you can.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Goodguy3 posted:

Welp, this is certainly going to be a thing alright...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Oh man, so many memories helping him on the technical aspects of that.

Definitely curious what terrible places this thing goes.