Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I have no idea what’s going on with this, but it seems like it’ll be wild.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I....okay?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well... uh...

:munch:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Always a good sign when the plot summary sounds like it was written by a malfunctioning algorithm.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Update 2 - This is my personal let's play

Since my emulator crashed, it didn't back up my save RAM, so I get to do the 5-10 minutes of actual gameplay all over again.

This time I go with a name I'm rather fond of.

Also I avoid all battles, as I need to focus on saving first and then pick the right battles to level up on due to the complete lack of reliable healing.

This time I solve the puzzle here.

In the original, this is where Bowser would get his first weapon upgrade. But Bowser's not in this hack, so...

...instead this random terrapin shows up out of nowhere instead.

TERRY: Just as I expected. She gave Jean a wound which is why she was locked up. Hm hm hm...

I'm not going to ask any questions here.

It's a very minor armor upgrade, but at L1 having any defense at all is a boon.

I eventually change the core SNES emulator for BizHawk from SNES9X to BSNES, and that lets me level up. Level ups are full heals, which is a godsend here.

My main priority is bumping up my Defense, as that's the main thing getting me killed this early on.

After all that, I take a detour to properly explore Booster Pass.

Music: Battle 2

This bush has a new battle theme available, and it's...I don't even know.

It's on par with the grey Snifits in Jean Tower, so it wipes the floor with me.

The switch in Jean Tower unlocks this area, though.

A Frog Coin, a Flower, and our first item.

APPRENTICE: If I beat you, they'll make me Snifit 4! If I'm lucky!

This guy's supposed to be a joke fight in the original. Not so much here!

You don't Game Over here, though. Mario gets back up at 1HP and goes on as normal.

I even head back to the tower to check if this fellow shows up as Snifit 4, but I don't think they do. That said, there's something important about this that will make sense become relevant in the next update.

Music: Battle 1

At any rate, all I can do for now is grind a bit. The ORB things will sometimes proc a full heal upon defeat, which is nice.

Also these foes drop a lot of consumables, mostly Mushrooms and Honey Syrups, but also Mid Mushrooms.

And this is Snifit 3. They kill me effortlessly.

The Fireball spawn rate isn't really that different here, and even better, these things do little damage at this point and drop 10EXP an encounter, so they aren't a bad option for grinding.

The chain chomps can halve your attack and are pretty durable, but at this point they won't wipe me.

JEAN: Eh...? Oh hey! It's you again! It's great to see you beat me here. I can't believe it! Since you're here, maybe you could clear up something for me.

JEAN: PLEASE... fix my clogged toilet! Hurry up! Fix it please!

nope

JEAN: Great... how will I be able to fix my broken toilet NOW?

...Yep!

Anyway these boost our defenses a bit so they're always welcome to have.

Also the game finally recognizes us being in Booster Tower, so there's that.

JEAN: Hmmmm?

SNIFIT: Jean, I think you need look [sic] more carefully for it. Maybe you have it somewhere?

JEAN: A...ha!

As in the original, there's the whole "Hide from the Snifits opening the curtains" thing going on.

But first, dialogue. I'm not cutting anything out here, it's just as disjointed in the game.

JEAN: Right! Now, about the toilet problem, who should have to fix it? Well? Speak up!

JEAN: Hello? Can you fix my toilet please? HEY! HEY! HEY! Hello? Bob?

JEAN: ...... He does not exist...? Where's that plumber guy? I think I need to find and get him to do it for me. If he's here... I got big bucks for him! Mr. Plumber! Come out and work!

Again, I'm not leaving anything out. We jump right from that to...

JEAN: NUMBER ONE! You're not supposed to reveal the secrets y'know.

And yet again, still not leaving anything out here...

JEAN: NO! This can't be! How will we call for XL if we don't have it on hand?

Pretty sure this goes just as it did in the original.

JEAN: AHHHH! I'm not going to be the one getting hurt if you dare to lose that number. Argh!! Number two, YOU look, too!

After round two of curtain dodging...

JEAN: Hey now! It's pain stackingly [sic] obvious that it's there. Number 3! It's your turn!

After the final round of curtains...

JEAN: It's right here you dumbasses!

So you know how in the original, you could avoid this fight if you succeed in dodging the Snifits? In this hack, it doesn't matter at all! You still fight Jean either way!

Music: Boss - Jean

First off, Jean's boss theme sounds like a really cool intro to what should be a bangin' remix of the first Booster Tower theme, except it never leaves the intro stage, making it kinda underwhelming.

Anyway, Jean usually uses a punch attack, though sometimes he'll throw a more powerful bomb attack that does more damage.

Either way, we're way overmatched here. I end up doing a good chunk of grinding.

Eventually I beat Snifit 3 and get an Ice Bomb for my troubles.

I also get an XL Pizza from a random encounter, and oddly it can't be used in battle.

I grind all the way to L9 with the occasional attempt before I make any real progress on Jean. I also get a few Mushroom drops along the way.

The boosts to Attack and Defense really help here.

As does learning Super Jump.

After taking some damage, Jean will use Spritz Bomb and Loco Express, which do a good chunk more damage.

After dealing enough damage (I think enough to defeat Booster in the original)...

...Jean activates his red form.

He does more damage and will also throw cards. It's more challenging, but manageable enough.

Oh and there's another phase where three Snifits join the fight.

Suffice to say, I can't win where I'm currently at. So it seems I'm stuck here. Am I really expected to level even more to beat this fight?

Actually, no! There's another path we can take, it's just not intuitive and I end up stumbling upon it completely by mistake! Next time, the weirdness gets turned up a few notches.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I saw part of this on stream, but missed Booster's exposition. All I can say is... the Shadow Queen wants her schtick back.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I should mention that I've been streaming the gameplay on the Let's Play Discord and will probably do so again in the next couple days.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:psyduck::hf::psyduck:

I have so many questions and now I smell burnt toast.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
This sucks rear end.

Technically you could have early and easily grinded the red spiky dudes in the Booster Pass extended area since they are from the first level of the game normally.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Huh somehow missed this, since its so far into the game I can't believe I've missed a mega64 LP for what I assume was at least a month.

I really gotta catch up since this is making absolutely no sense :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Huh somehow missed this, since its so far into the game I can't believe I've missed a mega64 LP for what I assume was at least a month.

I really gotta catch up since this is making absolutely no sense :v:

It's been two days. The game just starts outside Booster Tower.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

It's been two days.

:thejoke:

I can only imagine how incomprehensible it'll be if someone checks in a month from now and we're on the moon and Booster the LXIX is about to become Prince of Space or something.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...Wait, what?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This is either doing to turn into avent garde metafictional hack where the very foundations of what we think a rom hack is are challenged or the biggest trainwreck since DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS OSTIAN PRINCESS.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I'm banking heavily on the latter.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dr Pepper posted:

... or the biggest trainwreck since DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS OSTIAN PRINCESS.

What is that?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Quackles posted:

What is that?

An utter trainwreck of a Fire Emblem 7 hack. It's on the LP Archive.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr Pepper posted:

This is either doing to turn into avent garde metafictional hack where the very foundations of what we think a rom hack is are challenged or the biggest trainwreck since DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS OSTIAN PRINCESS.

DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS OSTIAN PRINCESS was literally the first thought I had when I read the plot...if it can be called one..and I must admit, so far, it hasn't disappointed. It could use a few messed up textures and a few more terrible glitches but overall, it's a pretty solid trainwreck.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

What is that?

The home of Marf Santangelo, Zack, and Holy.

Never forget.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Rosalie_A posted:

The home of Marf Santangelo, Zack, and Holy.

Never forget.

I thought that imploded due to a disruption in the time continuum that it caused itself, starting with Iodem and ending nowhere due to the loop.

FEDDOP was... a thing. This is...a thing too.

With that logic, I suggest that BEEFLORD takes his Super Jump and...super!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Goodguy3 posted:

Can't wait to see the fireball room except EVERY TILE triggers a fireball battle. Calling it now.

Though to be fair, a lot of romhacks were like that back in the da-

:stare:

the? gently caress what

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

(technically this was from the first update but at the rate this is going it'll apply to every part of this weird game)

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Mega64 posted:

Music: Battle 2

This bush has a new battle theme available, and it's...I don't even know.

No one skip this link. It's worse than I could have imagined. Like "Demon Rush" bad and everyone needs to hear it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

magikid posted:

No one skip this link. It's worse than I could have imagined. Like "Demon Rush" bad and everyone needs to hear it.

I kinda liked it, thought...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Update 3 - More plans, more killing.

Right now, I'm at a bit of a roadblock. Jean is a bit too strong for me to handle, so let's explore again and see if there's something I missed.

My first thought is to try to kill the Snifits from earlier. They're not trivial, but they're easily beatable now, and each drops an Ice Bomb.

With two down, I try to take on the last Snifit, but I couldn't get it to spawn this time. Go figure.

Next up, Booster Pass!

The Artichoker is a breeze at my level.

As is Lakitu. I land a Maple Syrup and even learn Super Flame thanks to the fat EXP gain from the battle.

The Apprentice, battle name Snifit Sr. still wipes the floor with me.

But as I leave, something weird happens.

OK, I can access Moleville now. Sure, why not.

The problem is in an earlier attempt, I actually left after losing to the Apprentice to see if it changed anything in Booster Tower (it didn't in the lower levels, anyway), and I did not get this pop-up. But apparently I did some other magic trigger that lets me now visit Moleville.

Alright, then!

To Moleville, I guess!

First off, we finally have a freaking inn and item shop!

Also, this mole now sells the ultimate gear for this hack using Frog Coins. The Scrooge Ring halves FP cost, while the Mega Glove and Super Jacket are the ultimate weapon/armor.

I could afford the Mega Glove at 6 FC, but I opt to wait to afford the Super Jacket, as defense is my bigger liability, and it costs 9 FC.

The NPC dialogue is exactly the same as far as I can tell, except for the cutscene with Bowser, since, well...

...Bowser's been replaced.

RATTY: Yes. Yes. We need some crazy weapons to use for glory!

SILVER: My powers have almost come to me. Don't worry. Evil will commence soon! As for now......

SILVER: You understand what it means to be a loyal minion!

This hack never stops being weird.

The entire rest of this section proceeds as it does in the original, so on to the actual mines.

Hardhat, Boomy Bob, Sparky...

Pounder...

...and Drill Bit.

Turns out I'm way overleveled for this area and I breeze through it all. I probably wouldn't have been if I knew I could unlock Moleville earlier by...hell, I'm still not sure how I unlocked Moleville!

The major change is the hack cuts out the whole chunk of gameplay where you have to find a bomb to unblock a path and then fight Croco. All that's been removed, including the rooms that all took place in, and instead the path is already unlocked.

Which means we can get ourselves a Frog Coin...

...and blast our way through the enemies with an invincibility star.

At the end is Punchinello, complete with his own boss theme.

Music: Boss - Punchinello

This theme is half of a potentially neat remix.

Unlike the original fight, there is no dialogue here.

Punchinello only summons mid-tier bom-ombs, and his main attack is Sand Storm, which actually does a whopping 5 damage to my overleveled self and inflicts Shivers to halve my attack.

That said, I'm still way overleveled for this dungeon, and as a nice bonus I don't have to finish off the bombs either.

And with that we've got Star Piece...

...Number Seven? Yeah, OK, we've got all seven Star Pieces now. Cool, OK, why not.

Instead of the mine cart, we have a large room cluttered with lizards...

...and the Wonder Stone. This is probably important considering it's mentioned in the game's bio.

The Lizaros can inflict poison and boost their Vigor, while the Chrimers hit relatively hard (high single-digit damage, so I'm still pretty overleveled) and can inflict Silence on our silent protagonist with Elegy.

Also it doesn't seem like I can progress further in here.

So I guess that's as good a place as any to call it for today!

Next time... ?????????

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

This hack is absolutely bewildering with everything it does.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
This continues to suck rear end.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
I, uh... okay.

...That's about all I can say. This thing is simply bewildering.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's a stream-of-consciousness video game.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
The tyranny of Palette-Swap-Peach

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

First off, we finally have a freaking inn and item shop!

The fact that the inn is selling fire and ice bombs is probably not a good sign of future difficulty...

Mega64 posted:

Unlike the original fight, there is no dialogue here.

And this is a travesty, poor Punchinello deserves better. :(

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm honestly surprised the hack took us places other than Booster Tower.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think I have less of an idea of what's going on now than I did in the first place.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Beat the hack, should only take two to four more updates to finish this LP.

The game somehow softlocked on the credits.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

uh.. huh... what?

Hold on a sec, I'm at a loss for words. I guess I'm just going to have to steal draw inspiration from the immortal words of someone else, at random:

Seyser Koze posted:

what the poo poo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In any other situation, I'd seriously have to ask if you missed an update or something because this doesn't really flow at all.

Sadly, I know fully well that, no, that's just how this thing is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Might I suggest, for a palate cleanser, doing a run of Super Mario RPG run through the Super Mario RPG Open World Randomizer[/b]. It's basically Final Fantasy IV: Free Enterprise for Super Mario RPG (though it also has a Classic option, where you play the game as normal, but with things randomized, albeit there are fewer randomization options that way)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

:perfect: