Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does Crono Cross do something like that? I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The main villain pulls a Captain Ginyu swap but you don't get any playable section saying why he's bad. you only learn that when you get a clone body back and then he exposits at you that he's your dad mind controlled and transformed into your worst nightmare by a computer running all of history... really badly.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

FeyerbrandX posted:

The main villain pulls a Captain Ginyu swap but you don't get any playable section saying why he's bad. you only learn that when you get a clone body back and then he exposits at you that he's your dad mind controlled and transformed into your worst nightmare by a computer running all of history... really badly.

Yep, that's most of Chrono Cross's story right there. The only part that's missing is the gigantic plot dump at the end that really doesn't tell you anything. Or so I've heard, at least.

Regarding this thing the thread's focused on...I guess it's nice that it's actually completed and doesn't resulting in a time loop? Maybe?

...I really still don't know what I'm looking at here. I can probably sum it up better by just echoing this:

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Evergreen non-empty quote

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I've been mostly gone for the past week and all I can say is:

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Update - NO THIS CAN'T BE!

This door that required the Wonder Stone to unlock leads to the final boss.

The area changes considerably here...

...and with that, we've begun the final battle.

Music: Boss - Madame Silver

This is Madame Silver, the person whose memories we've been going through.

She starts off only using slaps, which deal some damage but nothing scary.

After dealing enough damage to her, she begins throwing out status effects like Terror and Mushroom, which are fun to deal with.

Her damage output also beefs up a bit, including some intense bomb action.

After losing enough HP, Silver uses Mega Recover, which also signals the end of the fight.

For you see...

...Silver has a second form.

Music: Boss - Queen Silver

It's a Valentina palette swap but hey.

Her basic attack is very quick so it's hard to block.

The scary thing though is her magic attacks, which hit hard. Diamond Saw is her worst one, but the other spells hit pretty hard too.

I know what to do now to win, but first, let's finish off the Dojo.

The trick for this battle is to heal whenever Silver's HP falls below 40. Dark Matter can be reduced, but I'm terrible at the timing.

It takes awhile, but it's more than manageable.

DARK DOOM: Great job lass. You are now the strongest fighter in this dojo. As such...you should take this!

Our reward for doing the dojo is the DOOM BELT.

DARK DOOM: Damon must work harder. You suggest an excercise? [sic]

The DOOM Belt is a massive buff to Attack and Defense. The buffs to the magic stats are marginal, but they're still a nice upgrade.

Anyway, with our belt of DOOM, let's give Silver another try.

The first phase goes much more smoothly between my heightened offense and her physical attacks being meaningless.

The higher defense is also nice for the Queen phase, but it's not as useful since most of her scary attacks are magic.

There's not much to say here. I just healed whenever I went under 70HP and threw physical attacks until I finally burned through her large HP pool.

And now, the payoff for this whole hack.

We literally beat the tits out of Silver.

And there she is, back to normal.

SILVER: WHAT? Jean? What are you doing here?

JEAN: HAW HAW! It seems that you have forgotten what you even prepared for.

SILVER: ! Did I say that? Mmmm.....

That's right, Mario showed Silver how to be a good person by...

...um...

...moving on!

SILVER: Jean! I have a question to ask you!

And with that, Silver has abandoned her plans for world domination thanks to Mario showing her how to be a good person, and thus she decides to marry Jean because, well, why not?

And of course this means the description that kickstarted this entire Let's Play...

quote:

“A relative of the Booster family, named Jean, has taken his father’s tower after his passing. Jean and his Snifits prepare as Mario enters his tower. Little does Mario realise, a queen named Silver is plotting domination over Mario’s world. Jean attempts to hide the plan but his Snifits reveal it out loud. In boredom, they order an XL Pizza, but lose the phone number to call it again. Meanwhile in Moleville, Silver assembles a squad of minions to take over the world. Her powers are weak… but, she is gathering strength to prepare for what seems like domination. Mario obtains an item called the Wonder Stone which allow him to access Silver’s hometown, 15 years ago. On his way to her lair, he encounters a mysterious person called Dark Doom. Dark Doom happens to be a retired fighting instructor, who taught kids to defend themselves. Mario takes him on and gets transported to “Hometown”. Put in the memories of Silver’s past, Mario finds that she was abused her whole life and fights off a squadron of Koopas as Silver. He also finds “Nightmare” and fights off the evil side of her. Mario meets one of Silver’s friends, Damon. He is being trained by Doom to help with fighting. Eventually, Mario finds Silver in the door of the Wonder Stone and finishes off the queen. Then, Jean comes in to wrap things up. Meeting again after a long time, Silver realises from Mario what it means to be a good person. Then they get together and Mario’s adventure comes to a close.”

...ended up spoiling the entire game. The story was there all along!

But they never ordered it!

?????: It's odd to think that such a girl as Silver can become one of the amazing saps to date! Jean, the Eight of the Booster family, has found what life really means to him and it's good.

Booster was an angel sent to guide us all along.

Yeah. Sure. OK.

We get a couple of quick ending cutscenes...

...including a bonus battle with Geno.

It goes as expected.

The parade seems to be modified a bit. For instance, Mario leads the parade instead of Luigi.

But otherwise a lot of the stuff plays out like the original.

At least until the credits softlock here. Oh well, good enough place to end things!

Overall, this hack has lived up to my expectations. The description made it seem goofy, and boy, was it! The balance was wonky, and the progression path is unintuitive at times, but overall I still have a positive impression on this hack. I certainly enjoyed being surprised by some of the more interesting decisions made, and I had fun seeing what insane decisions would pop up next. Props to Minus Bros., the person who made this hack, for providing such a fun experience.

Until next time!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Minus Bros. made another hack. I am not LPing it since it overhauls the entire game and the changes seem too minor to merit showing off, but it's worth mentioning.

quote:

“Luigi has been cursed by the demons of spirit and has been sent to purgatory to relive his brother’s past life due to his sins. Luigi travels through a gloomy, grey version of his brother’s world. He meets up with his girlfriend Daisy, King Bowser and finds two new companions by the name of Prince and Raino.”

It's basically a difficulty mod (though a seemingly mild one) with some minor story changes, where the entire game is mostly gray for one reason or another.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, that was certainly a hack with a story. We cannot negate that it was entirely honest about what the story was, and that it fulfilled what it promised.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

That was quite a wildly unbalanced difficulty curve - you went from “died in the first battle and literally had to hunt specific enemy formations” to seemingly waltzing through the last couple updates without much difficulty.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That sure was

something.

Thanks?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, alright then, that was... an ending alright, although one that definitely suited this weird rear end hack. Was certainly a ride, will say that much.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

That certainly was a thing that existed.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

placid saviour posted:

What the gently caress?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Well... huh. I guess that's it. It was a bizarre, but fun ride- thanks for the LP! I most definitely would've never known this existed otherwise.

I've gotta ask: is anyone going to order the pizza? I'm getting hungry here.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I don't know what I just read, exactly, but

BisbyWorl posted:

That certainly was a thing that existed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Flying Twybil posted:

Well... huh. I guess that's it. It was a bizarre, but fun ride- thanks for the LP! I most definitely would've never known this existed otherwise.

I've gotta ask: is anyone going to order the pizza? I'm getting hungry here.
Talk to Mario, he's got the pizza:

Mega64 posted:

On the bright side, hey, free pizza!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Aah, so it's like that, huh? I understand everything now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:stonk:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

And of course this means the description that kickstarted this entire Let's Play...

...ended up spoiling the entire game. The story was there all along!

It didn't spoil that Mario smacked someone so hard their implants flew off into space.

quote:

At least until the credits softlock here. Oh well, good enough place to end things!

There's only so many lies something can make before it just chokes on it. Translation even existing, let alone being performed by Woolsey is such a lie.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

a cartoon duck posted:

Aah, so it's like that, huh? I understand everything now.

gently caress you

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Equal parts monkey cheese pizza humour and DARK DOOM PARENTAL ABUSE.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yep.

This was fun, though. Thanks for showing it to us!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

That sure was, uh, something

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Coolguye posted:

gently caress you

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Editing out broken quote, editing in summary: That was one weird-rear end hack.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That was a fun ride! Thanks!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DrKirre posted:

That was one weird-rear end hack.

Weird rear end-hack? :haw:

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
That sure was a series of words and pictures that may have been in some specific order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Up on the archive!

New LP hopefully soon.