Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

:siren: I created a Steam Group, http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SA-GTFO:siren:

quote:

What is GTFO?
GTFO is an upcoming 4-player hardcore co-op action horror FPS. You and your friends will explore hostile and terrifying environments where, in an instant, you are thrown from edge-of-your-seat suspense to frantic action. It's a large-scale experience, testing players in their ability to gear up and adapt to an endless string of unknown and ever-changing challenges.

GTFO is a new Co-Op FPS from former Payday devs. It's a four person shooter in the style of Left 4 Dead, PayDay, Vermintide. etc. It's currently in Early Access but is highly polished and playable.

What the game has currently is solid mechanics (sneaking around the levels until it all goes to poo poo and your plans collapse down into a confused fire-fight), intricate level design, and excellent survival-horror sci-fi aesthetics. What is lacks are skills or any sort of character progression system; think more Left 4 Dead than Vermintide.

Link to the game's home page which includes an excellent "game play" trailer that is fairly true to the game while still being atmospheric.

This game has been out since about last weekend and it's been scratching the same itch my friends and I get for more games like PayDay, Left 4 Dead, etc. The levels are designed to be rotated in and out every few weeks/months, so we're not talking pseduo-random Diablo style maps; each level feels more like a PayDay map, ie: a unique puzzle to solve.

Tips
  • You can press Tab to see everyone's status. Their health, their ammo, their gear and collected ammo. So if you have a med-kit for example, you can immediately tell who needs it.
  • Firearms and turrets have friendly fire, melee weapons do not. Hammer time!
  • Have someone bring the bio tracker and use it to scout through areas as quietly as you can; you can also "shoot" the bio scan to mark any active enemies.
  • The foam gun both reinforces doors and lay sticky traps to slow enemies.
  • The hacking tool that your character automatically equips to unlock boxes? You can manually equip it with "7" on the keyboard and having it out makes security scans go faster. I've heard this from multiple people but I no longer believe it.
  • Use a terminal to list the contents of your current zone (series of connected rooms), and then ping a specific item to locate it within a specific area (particular room). Ex: You need ammo, so you locate one in zone_41 area_b. Now you know exactly where to find ammo, assuming you can find room 41_b.
  • You regen below 20 hp.

What's present in GTFO is already very good; what it needs is more content (levels) and another layer in the form of both more enemies and some kind of customization or progression. Still, it's garnered a few previews in news outlets, and as of this writing the discord currently shows 40k people. The game was announced a while ago and I think the early access release is under most people's radar. PC Gamer and a few other outlets have some previews up but I'm hoping it gets into a pod cast (PC Gamer, Waypoints, etc) soon. I'd like to see the player base grow; good team mates are a necessity for this game, even more than in most other examples in the genre.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Interested in trying this when it comes out for reals. Have the devs said anything about how long it'll be in Early Access? Because I know they originally claimed they weren't going EA at all.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mordja posted:

Interested in trying this when it comes out for reals. Have the devs said anything about how long it'll be in Early Access? Because I know they originally claimed they weren't going EA at all.

http://gtfothegame.com/roadmap/ has a list of intended features but not a timeline.

I seem to recall hearing "a year" somewhere but honestly that could be some unrelated factoid banging around inside my lead-melted brain. I'll have to see if I can find an article or interview after work.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Picked this up last night and played for a bit with friends. I like it. Any goon groups?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Pharmaskittle and I play together, along with a larger roster of IRL friends we share; you're welcome to play with all of us.

I'm mostly going to be playing on the weekend on maybe Tuesday night; Pharma may be available more often on week nights.

You can find me in discord at JackBNimble#1686. Oh, I guess I could make a steam group for goons who play GTFO? I'll have to look into that when I'm at home.

Speaking of which, I looked through a few articles and didn't see any firm timeline for the game, so I think the roadmap I linked previously is the best we've got right now.

Edit:

:siren: I created a Steam Group, http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SA-GTFO:siren:

Edit2: I made it an open group so it's easier to invite your friends and junk.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 20, 2019

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
I have this it's pretty good, and hard.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Picked this up the other day with 2 friends and having a blast so far so I decided to see if there was a thread. At the moment it's simplistic but solidly built and a ton of fun. If you're doing it right it's not what I would call fast paced but the tension makes even crawling around and smashing guys with hammers a blast.

I've become the biotracker guy for our group and it's great calling out where guys are at, tracking scouts. It's hard to explain watching the tracker, seeing one of them hit a guy but not kill him and going red, waiting to see if they can kill him fast enough or watching all the other dots pop to red and calling to go loud and pulling out the shotgun.

I think they've nailed the atmosphere. We haven't gotten too far so I don't know if there's any enemy changes later on as of yet but I look forward to when a bit more weapon variety and possibly progression gets added.

e: I loaded up the game and wanted to throw in one thing I'm annoyed with is the random jump scare screams when you load up the game or when you fail a mission. That's wholly unnecessary and does not add anything.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 23, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The sneaking and bio tracking remind me of Swat 4's "go dynamic!" and "let's slow it down.." toggles; there's this repeating VoIP pattern where we ramp up our communications as the sleepers become hostile and then slow back down again once they're all dead, it matches the rhythm of the game very well and it's just something that happens naturally from the game mechanics.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
Also the official discord for this is really, really good. If we can't get one we can just group up in there and steal a channel.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My friend and I just bought this. Probably another guy is getting it too.

edit:nm looked at the roadmap

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MysteriousStranger posted:

Also the official discord for this is really, really good. If we can't get one we can just group up in there and steal a channel.

Yeah, at first it seemed like a stop gap substitute for in game match making but honestly I'm going to be mad the next time I play a online game that doesn't have strongly integrated discord support.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 24, 2019

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Shotgun turrets Re currently way better than burst, due to enemies rushing close and the fact pellets can hit multiple targets.

Also: putting turrets on the "outside" of a door your holding is often better, as they will shoot at the nasties trying to break in

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Stormgale posted:

Shotgun turrets Re currently way better than burst, due to enemies rushing close and the fact pellets can hit multiple targets.

Also: putting turrets on the "outside" of a door your holding is often better, as they will shoot at the nasties trying to break in

Also, turrets have ff but also don't seem to miss much, so if you put them on the outside looking in they won't shoot you.

Whereas putting them on the inside pointed at the choke is a great way to get yourself killed when a scan point appears in front of the gun (if that happens make someone move the gun).

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
I've finally completed B1 tonight and have moved to the C level. I did have something weird happen, someone tried to kill a sleeper but it didn't die in one hit. This woke up another sleeper and we hammered it to death, their was a big brute in the room with us but it stayed asleep somehow along with the other enemies that were nearby. No idea what happened but it helped us finish the mission.

I also learned that the when the hit indicator bursts apart in orange that means the enemy is dead, so if you melee a sleeper and you don't see the orange burst keep hitting it.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The not dying I think is missing the headshot , or some rng.

The not waking the rest of the room is intended, melee and awake sleepers only wake stuff around them, so yeah you can recover.guns are what draw the whole roon

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
100% right on both counts; be ready with that second melee hit and use controlled gunfire until you see that kill indicator.

I've only completed A1 and B1; I hope to play some more this weekend.

Last game I played, I laid a poo poo load of foam along the floor of a choke and watched enemies run right through it. I'm pretty sure that's not working as intended and when we wiped it put a sour taste in my mouth.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Been playing this since the alpha in October. It gives me strong s.t.a.l.k.e.r vibes, mixed with some eldritch horror.

Devs confirmed in discord that the hacking tool does nothing when you are running security doors and alarm scans. A nearby sleeper waking up when you melee kill an enemy is based on a formula using range, aggro (don't hit when nearby enemies are glowing) and "rng", again, according to devs.

Two tips:
-You can clip your sentry gun partially through closed doors. It will safely shoot any nearby enemies on the other side of the door without alerting the entire room. This is especially helpful on maps like D1 where you often get scouts walking right up to the door you are about to enter.
-Tapping LShift and a move key will make you do a quick dodge in the direction pressed. This is useful for dodging ranged attacks.

FYI there are seven enemy types:
-Small striker - have spikey vertical mouths that shoot out a short range tongue. They will stop and glow slightly before shooting out the tongue which gives you a second to stagger them.
-Small ranged - have eggs/sacs on their heads and shoot a homing projectile at you. You can side step the projectile at the last second or use a serpentine running style to avoid it. Best to melee these guys as they become a lot less dangerous up close.
-Big striker - Emit a loud croaking sound, much larger than the small striker and have a burnt looking lower body. Has a devastating melee attack and a longer range tongue attack that takes off 40% health.
-Big ranged - Thinner, feminine looking large enemies that shoot four homing projectiles at once. Very easy to take down with melee.
-Scout - Make slithering sounds and send out tendrils from their head. The only enemy that will be patrolling the map. If the tendrils touch you, the scout goes invincible and alerts all the enemies in the room, plus an additional wave that will come from behind. Tendrils do not clip through the environment, and you can easily take them out with 1 sniper shot to the head, or a charged melee attack.
-Tar spikes - Look like the small striker with big black spikes. These guys can only be 1-shot from behind.
-invisible striker - Only present during the reactor shutdown on D1. Look like a shadowy version of the normal small enemies that you can see with the LR flashlight or tag with the bioscanner.

slow_twitch fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 27, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

slow_twitch posted:

-Tapping LShift and a move key will make you do a quick dodge in the direction pressed. This is useful for dodging ranged attacks.

Fffff one of my friends discovered this on our first session and I just somehow forgot it.

Does anyone know if the different melee weapons mean anything?

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Fffff one of my friends discovered this on our first session and I just somehow forgot it.

Does anyone know if the different melee weapons mean anything?

The melee weapons are purely cosmetic right now.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

been playing this for a few days with friends, it's very nice so far (B2). Great atmosphere and a unique approach on stealth action coop.

whats recommended for many enemies very close to each other, where you almost can't time proper simultanious melee hitting? I've read somewhere to flashlight them but I haven't tried it yet, sounds risky.

also on the topic of melee do the spiked heads (ranged sleepers) take more damage? I have the feel they won't will die instantly if not hit with half charged blow at least.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

haldolium posted:

been playing this for a few days with friends, it's very nice so far (B2). Great atmosphere and a unique approach on stealth action coop.

whats recommended for many enemies very close to each other, where you almost can't time proper simultanious melee hitting? I've read somewhere to flashlight them but I haven't tried it yet, sounds risky.

also on the topic of melee do the spiked heads (ranged sleepers) take more damage? I have the feel they won't will die instantly if not hit with half charged blow at least.

I always do a full charge swing on sleepers and have never had a problem with one shotting them. From time to time with pubs they sometimes wont OHK and I don't get why they wouldn't wait the one extra second to fully charge.

Like you've said, if you sweep a group of enemies quickly with your flashlight they will sync up their glow timing. That will give your team a gap in which to move in and do a synchronized attack. If you all strike within a second of each other it wont even matter if one of them gets aggro'd as long as you OHK them.

The flashlight feels a little more forgiving in terms of aggroing enemies compared to footsteps.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Thanks! I'll try the flashlight approach next.

I always full charge too just to be safe. Although it happens every now and then that I just rip half their torso apart but not their head. I hope that weapon feedback becomes better over time to be more precise, both ranged and melee.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

haldolium posted:

Thanks! I'll try the flashlight approach next.

I always full charge too just to be safe. Although it happens every now and then that I just rip half their torso apart but not their head. I hope that weapon feedback becomes better over time to be more precise, both ranged and melee.

Yep the guns feel really floaty right now, hopefully that gets addressed in subsequent updates.

The AR is pretty decent in 2-3 round bursts but full auto is a mess. My go-to secondary is the combat shotgun. I like to keep it handy, for close encounters.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i have this game, SPACEJAMFAN on steam we should play it sometime

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to like the pistol; I'm certainly attracted to the ammunition capacity, but I sometimes shoot whole magazine to kill one or two enemies. Am I just missing?

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I want to like the pistol; I'm certainly attracted to the ammunition capacity, but I sometimes shoot whole magazine to kill one or two enemies. Am I just missing?

Pistol will kill the small enemies in 2 head shots. If you land a headshot they will always do a flinch and then bring their head back to the same spot. So you headshot, hold your aim in the same spot and wait for a second then shoot. You should double tap but when there is a horde it is a little difficult. Pistol has the best gunfeel imo but I don't use it much -- prefer the AR.

C1 gives you a lot of practice shooting compared to the other rundowns if you haven't gotten there yet.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Just picked this up. Will join the steam group n official discord; my discord is FastestGunAlive#7015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Feel free to join it, and I believe everyone in it has the ability to invite new members. The reality of my life, friends, and free time is that I'm not really playing the game much, but that's no knock against it; it's absolutely the game I'd be playing if I could find three friends who all want to play PC games for the same couple of hours.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Can finally post in here now that I've served my time as a political prisoner. I've been playing this w Jack and friends and it's sick as hell. Gonna play way more when they get matchmaking so it's easier to fill in a 4th slot. Anybody been able to use the smg to any real effect yet?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's my preferred primary - it does consistent damage at close and medium range and has a considerable ammunition reserve.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
Ringing the same bell as a few others.

I got this a couple weeks ago and wish I could give it the time it deserves. The games discord is a fast lfg chat always firing off any time I've tried to look.

Also for ref I thought my 2500k @4.2 and gtx970 might keep me from good visuals/ high fps but it is very easy on specs (though just 1080p) than the min req would lead you to believe.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I really need to try this. I bought it but none of my friends are interested - they’re either too scared of scary games or they just don’t like PvE games at all (what the gently caress). Is the goon discord best? Or the general GTFO one? I checked the official one a few days ago and I didn’t see any channels that looked open to someone who has literally never started the game up before.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pathos posted:

I really need to try this. I bought it but none of my friends are interested - they’re either too scared of scary games or they just don’t like PvE games at all (what the gently caress). Is the goon discord best? Or the general GTFO one? I checked the official one a few days ago and I didn’t see any channels that looked open to someone who has literally never started the game up before.

I'm not exactly sure what problem you're describing with the official discord - you mean the one linked in game? You just go to it, join an empty channel, and use the provided hyperlink to post your channel to the chat, while saying something like "LF3M A1". I mean, maybe you're running into some problem I'm not understanding, but it's been remarkably painless after I understood both the mechanics of the UI and the informal procedure.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Pathos posted:

From someone who has played literally one match- my friend and I went into the official discord, the lfg-northamerica channel. Said we needed 2 for the first map and picked one of the voice channels. Was quick and easy.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I played the hell out of Payday 2 and have been waiting to see how this turns out. I've got it on Steam but my current laptop runs it like poo poo.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Ok, that’s super helpful. Thanks guys. I’ll give this a shot.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’m on the goon group so just shoot me an invite if I’m on. Usually just on during the weekends tho

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

My group just got owned over and over again on B2. What's everyone's strategy on Medkit use?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I use medkits before big fights because you regen when below 20 hp.

I think getting comfortable at using the 20 hp floor and hammering small groups must be the key to having enough health and ammo to finish big fights, but it's not something I'm actually pulling off myself.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Its crazy how vairable in difficulty the security doors can be. Sometimes the game will just send you on the shittiest loops or triple the number of circles you stand in.