Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
This game felt like poo poo to me when I played it. Guns felt floaty and terrible. Enemies warped and teleported all over the place, something going on with network interpolation or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That hasn't been my experience, at least with enemies teleporting, but yeah if the enemies were rubber banding around the map I would quit for the day, this game doesn't have the slack for that nonsense.

The guns often feel a bit weak to me but I think that is both intentional depowering of the guns and weird enemy animation. Pump shotgun feels good though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jack B Nimble posted:

The guns often feel a bit weak to me but I think that is both intentional depowering of the guns and weird enemy animation. Pump shotgun feels good though.

Do you usually take the pump over the combat shotgun?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you usually take the pump over the combat shotgun?

I do, but I have to admit it's for the aesthetics; I often find myself wondering what I'm asking the pump shotgun to do that the combat shotgun couldn't, while also having a faster fire rate, much faster reload, and more shells total. But the pump shotgun is just so satisfying.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
I played the alpha and thought, hey, this might be a decent game if they really put in some work and made it a little more interesting with more enemy variety and more interesting tasks that require teamwork. It felt like it really needed some more fleshing out.

Disappointed to see that it got released in basically the same state.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I finally got around to playing two levels of this game and it blew my loving mind. Absolutely amazing. I really hope people play a bit more of it and it gets some good updates (with more enemies) but, man, what a great loving game.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Bought this , looking forward to playing it at some point

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Played a few rounds last night.
Fun and tense, though the ultradark lovely default flashlights make things a little frustrating.
Managed one successful escape after a half dozen disasters - most often caused by someone running off alone to loot, or an enemy not dying to melee.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I hope they manage to make hitting the heads more reliable. Always try to charge melee at least half for more reliable kills.

It's still a bit wonky. I once destroyed the entire upper body but the thing still stood up and caused alarm, started shooting from the pelvis

Roadmap got updated a bit:

Rundown #002

Overview

New challenges! Variation in terms of objectives and expedition environment
Bug fixes and tweaks based on feedback

Main Features

New Expeditions: Planning
New Expeditions: Implementing warden objective logic
New Expeditions: Level design and testing iterations
New Subcomplex: "Dig Site"
Support for rundown specific gear
New Gear: To be revealed
New Consumable(s): To be revealed
New Enemy variations: Will not be revealed :)
Improved weapon sounds
Bug fixing
Final testing

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
This is really fun, played last night, did a couple of rounds and we got to the end of the first mission, but ran out of ammo. Didn't realise it was going to alert the whole map on the extract, it said it would all other times. Feels bad.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I heard it's better in the new runddown, I should really try it again. Having like three successful mission attempts total soured me on the game, but when it's good it's great.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I'm about half way through the current rundown and I'm starting to feel torn on this game.

I love the atmosphere/story/setting. It is really cool sneaking around the complex and it reminds me of the indoor sections of Stalker in some ways.

Same as dogstile though, I spent two hours on a single run of C1 yesterday and failed near the end. It just feels extremely punishing/unrewarding to put in hours of time on a run and just outright fail, usually due to a minor mistake. A lot of people on the discord channel seem to be getting irritated/fed up with the C layer of the current rundown. I think the devs are going to have serious issues with player retention of they don't adjust map length, enemy spawns or weapon damage.

I get they are trying to stretch out the rundown length by making them difficult but it ends up being kinda not fun? I'm limiting to one attempt every few days just so I don't get burnt out.

Kinda wish they would skew more towards L4D, like some of the previews suggested.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd settle for easy/meduim/hard and let people who are gud play through on hard.

I really would have liked to play all the way through the last run down, instead of just banging my head on their over tuned levels for a couple of weeks before me and all my friends got sick of it.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

slow_twitch posted:

I get they are trying to stretch out the rundown length by making them difficult but it ends up being kinda not fun? I'm limiting to one attempt every few days just so I don't get burnt out.

Kinda wish they would skew more towards L4D, like some of the previews suggested.

I've just been watching this thread with some passing interest, but from the sounds of it it's something I would've loved back when I had infinite time as a teenager.

I never got an L4D vibe from the previews, but if you're looking for that I'd recommend trying out World War Z if you happened to pick it up for free a few days ago when the Epic Game Store was giving it away.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't really mind it being ridiculously difficult as that's historically my jam, but it basically assures that this game will forever be incredibly niche.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

They've said they're gonna add character progression, right? I think coming out of a botched run with something to show for it like xp or a gun attachment or whatever would soften failure enough for most people. The game is polished enough that it's easy for me to forget it's only on like big patch #2 of early access, so it's very much still in the oven.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it possible to play with just two players or is the game balanced around four players?

(I use the world balance loosely here, judging from a few of the posts)

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Jimbot posted:

Is it possible to play with just two players or is the game balanced around four players?

(I use the world balance loosely here, judging from a few of the posts)

Me and my friends had a hell of a difficult time finishing the first mission and we were three people including myself. I suppose it's possible but given the weakness of the weapons in general and the strength of the enemies it'll be fairly difficult in my estimation.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hardly conclusive, but in the first rundown my friends and I tested that first door fight, comparing doing it alone, in pairs, and with people, and there was zero change in enemies that we could see.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

A fair few people do solo runs, it might help you to watch them and get some tricks for how to approach a level.

Here is just an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKIWBT0K_Dw

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Having played the first mission a bunch now, we're getting better.

That being said, it's pretty clear that run and gun doesn't work, not knowing where things are going to be coming from doesn't work, and having your rear end end open for things to get behind you takes you out.

Watching that solo video, learning how to bhop and be more accurate with the melee strikes will make the difference between breathing room and getting piled on. I've found so far that surviving a push with little or no health or ammo just drags out the inevitable. At least in this first mission, there doesn't seem to be any particular reason to play with the computer to find anything either, since you're probably going to hit and sweep all the rooms - unless you needed to beeline for something.

The team damage can be real bad, and thus far my team puts a lot of faith in the turrets which seem to be mildly effective during a rush, if at all (other than shooting us in the rear end). The C-Foam may be more valuable there to slow them down and eliminate dogpiles.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I found that with some of the rooms where I knew a scan was coming with an alert, i'd preemptively clear out some of the rooms joining, then place a sentry on the door so it can shoot the enemies trying to bash their way through it. For the first mission this means that you can quite literally finish standing in the "move here and get scanned" spots before the enemies even make it to you, then all four of you can just focus on whatever door breaks first.

I haven't had a chance to test yet, but if you don't open a "scan" security door, I assume the enemy can't break them down and have to either path around it or just not come through? That might make a few fights easier if you know the level layout, because you can funnel literally every enemy to one door that's covered by sentries, goo and people.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I don’t think they can break a security door - but they do seem to spawn in even if you clear the rooms out

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, ran some tests. They can't break security doors, so for a level like sacrifice, its better to only open the door you need the key from and then cover the entrance to the now two entrances you have open in that room. I also had a habit of leaving doors open while trying to clear rooms going up to it, as there's one room that's basically resource central that you need to do an alarm sequence to get into. Then we closed every door leading to the entrance and cfoamed what we could, go halfway through the scanning sequence before we had an enemy get through any of the defences. It also seemed like we had less swarming through compared to when we had three doors open, but they might just be due to our guns covering less.

We also completed the next mission of the rundown, took us about 5 hours to get through two levels, though. Goddamn. We only completed the last mission due to some loving heroics from a guy on my team who realised the spikes only did 7% when launched at him, so he just traded with some of the shooty fucks and used the natural regen to clear the room with his hammer. Which is good because we had literally no ammo left after a couple of stupid mistakes. Finished that level with a single bullet in my pistol.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I'm totally into this game, but don't have a group to play with tho. You guys set up a discord as well as a group?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There should be a dev sponsored discord you can access right from the game, that's what I always used.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

The first time I tried using their discord I think I got unlucky with a random that was going into rooms specifically to mic spam random poo poo at people, but almost every other time has legit been good. So unless things have changed, don't be discouraged if your first group up was awful like mine.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man does anyone know of this game ever got any easier?? Because it turns out my friends and I are NOT bad enough dudes to rescue the president, but maybe the new run downs are less unforgiving?

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Man does anyone know of this game ever got any easier?? Because it turns out my friends and I are NOT bad enough dudes to rescue the president, but maybe the new run downs are less unforgiving?

I remember seeing a few balancing patches released. I got about half way through the current rundown before the patches and haven't been in since.

Rundown 3 is scheduled for June 11th so now I'm getting fomo to get the current one done....

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Anyone still playing this? My friends and I have been playing the third rundown and have just broken into B level.

I gotta say the atmosphere and art direction is cool and has had some cool set pieces, especially the reactor on A3. Also, it took like 3 hours of attempt to beat that loving level, even though we breezed through the first two on A. I'm hoping to get a few more chilled out missions but we'll see.

There are some nice new guns on the new map but not really any new tools afaik. The new rundown is only 7 maps so I think we can actually finish this one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A3 is a monster of a level for people who aren't careful and keep falling off the stairs.

B1 is pretty good this time round. Bring a sniper for the scouts in case you can't get to them safely and just clear the room with guns after, it'll cost you less than alerting it by accident. Make sure you open up 236 (the exit) BEFORE you do the final terminal, or you'll wipe. We actually alerted two scouts in our runthrough and ended the mission with literally no ammo for any of our guns/equipment and had to hammer our way to the exit.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
One problem my group had with the game is that stealth felt inconsistent. Every now and then one of the chaff enemies just wouldn't die to a fully charged melee whack, causing an alert. Got any tips for clearing rooms without aggro?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Sokani posted:

One problem my group had with the game is that stealth felt inconsistent. Every now and then one of the chaff enemies just wouldn't die to a fully charged melee whack, causing an alert. Got any tips for clearing rooms without aggro?

Sync smaller ones with the flashlight and avoid clusters of 4+ if you can.

If you can't and have to fight, make a resource preserving plan how to deal with the attack.

Dunno the current rundown, but it's also an option to avoid room clearing if you're not coming back to the room or start a fight next to it. The wonky hits are still a thing so every so often you will trigger alerts unintentional.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Every coordinated video I've watched of anyone efficiently completing these rundowns is just 4 people literally sprinting into rooms and hammering the poo poo out of everything and then focus-firing down the big guys. With pauses to find any relevant aid containers on terminals, some pauses for specific alarm doors to place turrets ahead of time, and bunny hopping through the waist-deep fog which seems to work really well for not getting much infection.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah if you learn the timing you just jump over every attack they do.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This game is incredibly cool but missing a certain something. I cannot place it, and it could just be the fact it's in early access. Maybe, I'd like the guns to be overall more lethal since you get realistic amounts of ammunition.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think they're plenty lethal up until the point where you hit something clearly in the head and it doesn't register because they've moved on the hosts end.

But also maybe playing with people on another continent is making that slightly more of an issue :v:

That said, the rifle kinda owns, kill power wise. The SMG and other "low kill power guns" are more for staggering than killing, i find. They can still kill, but if someones about to get jumped by a small group you can spray across all of them and they'll all flinch rather than attack.

Burst cannon remains hot garbage.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Glenn Quebec posted:

This game is incredibly cool but missing a certain something. I cannot place it, and it could just be the fact it's in early access. Maybe, I'd like the guns to be overall more lethal since you get realistic amounts of ammunition.

Yeah, I have the same feeling. This game is fantastic but just missing SOMETHING. I can’t quite place it. Plot progression? Some sort of permanent something? I don’t know. Boss monsters? Just... something.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Pathos posted:

Yeah, I have the same feeling. This game is fantastic but just missing SOMETHING. I can’t quite place it. Plot progression? Some sort of permanent something? I don’t know. Boss monsters? Just... something.

I'm really in the same place. Maybe it's that engagements rarely hit the sweet spot. I feel like either the team wipes the floor with them or you just get overwhelmed.

It could also be that I do not like the stealth aspect very much. I'm good at it and I get it but ehhh the fun for me is the planning and shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I really like the aesthetics and the lore and want to play this game more but agreed the gameplay just doesn't click.

The early promo vids looked a bit more tactical and shooty so it kind of sucks they went all out on stealth..After about an hour of crouch sneaking its kind of like "is this actually fun?" and the answer for me at least is not really.

Speed run videos are interesting because they just go guns blazing but 99% of the players couldn't handle doing that (myself included)