Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
The time investment for each attempt is a particularly huge turn off for myself and others. Sure, speed running is an option to remedy that, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive to stealthy approach that the game is suggesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know if it changes at all because my friends and I haven't gotten very far since the first rundown but I know we're all tired of the security events. Since it's just 3 of us we usually take our time and enjoy being sneaky headbashers but then if we fail it's usually at a security door standing in those stupid circles.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Thinking about it a bit more, I think if they mixed up the stealth (which is honestly very well done) with some more shoot-y type things that might help out? I know there are the doors that automatically attract attention, but I guess that's not quite what I mean. I dunno. I really want this game to be amazing and it feels like it's almost there, just.... something is missing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Garrand posted:

I don't know if it changes at all because my friends and I haven't gotten very far since the first rundown but I know we're all tired of the security events. Since it's just 3 of us we usually take our time and enjoy being sneaky headbashers but then if we fail it's usually at a security door standing in those stupid circles.

Only being 3 puts you at a massive disadvantage, considering that the game doesn't scale down from 4 at all.

Pathos posted:

Thinking about it a bit more, I think if they mixed up the stealth (which is honestly very well done) with some more shoot-y type things that might help out? I know there are the doors that automatically attract attention, but I guess that's not quite what I mean. I dunno. I really want this game to be amazing and it feels like it's almost there, just.... something is missing.

It really depends on what you want out of the game. They obviously want the game to be a resource starved stress inducer, which works pretty well. I think if they made it more shooty it'd just be more payday.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

dogstile posted:

It really depends on what you want out of the game. They obviously want the game to be a resource starved stress inducer, which works pretty well. I think if they made it more shooty it'd just be more payday.

Yeah, that's a really good point. I'm just not sure the current setup, you know, really works. You're right, though, that PayDay isn't what this game should become. I'm honestly pretty interested in what it would take for this game to gel. An earlier comment by Varkas is right, though: the rundowns are so long and so easy to gently caress up that sitting down for a 30+ minute stress game that you can blow at the very end is ... it's a big ask. I'm just curious what they could do to mix it up.

Honestly part of me wonders if having some sort of progression or inter-mission type thing would help. I don't really know. It's an interesting question, at least to me.

Pathos fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 2, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Payday isn't the only model here: L4D has checkpoints and difficulty set ups. A security door, or particularly nasty roaming enemy, or a big room of monsters, could be highlights in an otherwise lower tempo map. As it is, the game feels like one prolonged - and unforgiving - high wire act.

That said, I'm going to try it again this weekend, just to see what's changed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, its one of those things for me that its truly an exhausting thing to run, but there really isn't much else like it in gaming and i'm hesitant for it to become anything else. If i wanted more L4D i'd probably just play L4D. This seems to be doing its own thing.

I'd love some dedicated servers though. Stop some of the weird bite disconnect things. That and the bioscanner mapping the room, i saw that in the trailer and was so bummed when it didn't happen in game.

E: Also this rundown the first two levels are actually pretty easy and the third is a stressful timed level, so have fun! The first two are pretty short as well.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

That and the bioscanner mapping the room, i saw that in the trailer and was so bummed when it didn't happen in game.

Bio scanner looked cool af in the trailer, but the levels aren't random so it'd be a lot less important. But yeah very cool.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Sokani posted:

One problem my group had with the game is that stealth felt inconsistent. Every now and then one of the chaff enemies just wouldn't die to a fully charged melee whack, causing an alert. Got any tips for clearing rooms without aggro?

Bonk them in the back of the head, enemies will die from even less then full charge strikes to the back of the head.

Edit: I agree that the game is missing a certain something, it is a little too basic in terms of gameplay right now. I am hoping they add more character customization or progression options, something like an actual story, and permutations on the gameplay loop, like maybe squads of patrolling enemies, or more random elements to maps.

Badactura fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 2, 2020

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Looks like a big update is dropping with Rundown 4 on Oct 22.

Notes kind of allude to difficulty options which would be a welcome addition imo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It would be nice to get to the end of rundowns. The groups i run with don't have a lot of people who play a lot of shooters so we always get bogged down on the C difficulties where it becomes impossible for me to kill everything.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Update has dropped, they've added in-game matchmaking and difficulty settings which are both welcome.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Welp, anyone still play this thing? My previous group has largely moved-on to better games, but I crave the punishment of spending an hour wandering in a foggy warehouse before a tall naked man clobbers me into next week.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/ChickenHeart/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Finally, difficulty settings; I'm going to crank them way down and finally finish a rundown.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
How do the difficulty settings work? I haven't picked this up 'cause I've heard it's ridiculously hard without a full party, and 3 person party is what I got to work with here.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Disappointed to say it but the difficulty in the previous rundowns is considered normal and the options only go higher from there.

I was hoping to be able to drop it down a bit but looks like that won't be the case. Completion stats are on the gfto discord and I think these devs are going to have a serious problem with player retention if they don't make it more accessible..

slow_twitch fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 24, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeeaap; my friends and I just re-downloaded the game, snuck through level A1 for a solid hour, then folded like a house of cards at one of the security doors. Sorry to say, but this game just isn't for us. We quit out, uninstalled, and bought Phasmophobia :shrug:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I think there's a good game there, I just hope by the time it gets out of early access they've implemented actual difficulty settings. There's some really cool mastery stuff there like the terminal commands, but right now it's just way overtuned for people who aren't interested in obsessing over which handrail to crouch on top of.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was thinking about it this morning and it's like, it's me and my IRL friends playing the game, and between us we've played the entirety of L4D1 and 2, Vermintide 1 and 2, Payday 1 and 2, and even quite a bit of OverKill's TWD; we're not new to this genre. And we can't even finish one level of this drat game. I get that the dev's want the game to be hard, but if me and my friends, who are not new to this genre, bounce right the hell off of it, something's up.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

dogstile posted:

I don't really mind it being ridiculously difficult as that's historically my jam, but it basically assures that this game will forever be incredibly niche.

One thing Payday got relatively right by having so many difficulty settings. A lot of people could play it, if it was Overkill only it wouldn't have gotten legs.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah for me personally I play these games on like a 3 or 4 out of 5 difficulty; I definitely wasn't playing PayDay 2 on Overkill.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I definitely wouldn't call this game easy but I also wouldn't call it hard. Played two of my first rounds tonight, Rundown A1, and A2. I beat both of them. Granted I didn't do any of the bulkhead challenges, I don't really understand why you would. But the game is certainly difficult but not the impossible task a lot of people in this thread seem to make it out to be. We never lost a person, we didn't even have many close calls...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its mostly about getting used to the hammer and moving about the pulsing monsters, once you get the hang of that you'll start getting to the C portion of rundowns pretty consistently.

It's once you get there people start needing to be able to hit shots and know exactly what they're doing, which kills it for my group. That's about the stage where i can't solo the levels anymore.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Skyarb posted:

I definitely wouldn't call this game easy but I also wouldn't call it hard. Played two of my first rounds tonight, Rundown A1, and A2. I beat both of them. Granted I didn't do any of the bulkhead challenges, I don't really understand why you would. But the game is certainly difficult but not the impossible task a lot of people in this thread seem to make it out to be. We never lost a person, we didn't even have many close calls...

Well yeah, the A layers have historically been relatively easy. It's the late-B, C, D and E layers where you can dump 1.5-2 hours on a mission and fail at the last door.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wait, is the bulkhead not mandatory in A1? We scoured the level, saw no other path, and eventually chose "high" over "extreme". Was that our mistake?

Edit: I should say that, even if we mistakenly took a harder path, the game still needs to be easier than it was at launch, not merely not harder.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wait, is the bulkhead not mandatory in A1? We scoured the level, saw no other path, and eventually chose "high" over "extreme". Was that our mistake?

Edit: I should say that, even if we mistakenly took a harder path, the game still needs to be easier than it was at launch, not merely not harder.

Nah, that was indeed the "easier" path your group took.

If you dont mind me asking, what gave your dudes the most trouble during the event? what defenses did you set up?

One thing that frequently gets players knocked down is the erratic behavior of the sleepers: They sprint, crawl and gallop towards you; they flank around players to attack from out of sight; seemingly-fatal blows can send them sprawling, only to have a headless, one-armed striker lurch up and smack you.

Special mention has to go for how sleepers attack in general: Strikers cough up a meters-long tongue with little windup that hits lightning-fast and always seems longer-ranged than you remember. Shooter projectiles travel pretty slowly, but that allows their homing capability to arc around cover, and shooters love to use corners.

With that in mind, here's a few tips:

-You can perform a sidestep by tapping the sprint key while strafing. This allows you to semi-reliably dodge attacks.

-When I have to tango with strikers, I like to start with a shove, then swing wildly until I'm sure it's dead. The shove has a decent range, and will interrupt a striker trying to attack as you close in. Popping out from around a corner with a charged swing is also good.

-When dealing with hordes, focus on defending chokepoints, but try to give yourself some space to fall back to. As far as I can tell, strikers don't attack on the move, so a steady backpedal can keep you from taking unnecessary damage while you thin the horde.

-Angry sleepers can be marked by the tracker. Start an event? Pull out your tracker and start mashing fire until you get a scan. You'll probably only get a couple guys from the horde, but it gives players a heads-up on where the swarm is traveling. If you get a breather between waves do it again.

-Ammo conservation is key, so understand where your guns are most effective. Short-range weapons have tremendous damage fall-off, so while you can plink away at enemies racing down the hallway with your SMG, you'll find yourself wasting a good chunk of your clip compared to two short bursts at spitting distance.

-On a similar note, hammering the last individuals of a horde can help you save bullets (when you're comfortable), especially with shooters who are helpless in melee. Make sure your team knows when to stop shooting before you start sprinting.

-A teammate stuck at 20% health can be valuable as a scapegoat for room clearing. They'll always regenerate back to that amount, so let them take point and bear the brunt of any stealth sections that go awry.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Pharma can provide another account of what happened, but on my phone so I'll be a little brief. We had a bio scanner, foam gun, and two kinds of turrets. We all had 50 - 75% health and ~50 ammo and gadgets. Basically, I'd say we were well prepared. Incidentally, we played before, at launch, maybe 20 games total with 4 wins? So I'd say nothing about the actual gameplay felt new or surprising, on this return session.

Anyway, we saw that it was a security door, we set up our guns, foamed a door, checked our magazines, started the securit sequence , and activated the bio scanner. We all started by the door.

I had a pistol and a pump shotgun. Small enemies started flooding in, the melee kind. They were all tagged by the scanners and our guns were fully loaded, so it was completely manageable. I emptied two pistol magazines into them, things seemed 100% fine.

I saw a big enemy, called him out, drew my pump shotgun and moved towards him, still near the door but angling around a pillar to keep sight on him and get just a bit closer for the shotgun.

Someone, I couldn't see them because they had moved into some other passageway, called out on VOIP that they were down. Then I noticed the small enemies were getting around behind me, so I stopped worrying about the big guy and shot some of them, but they were appearing as fast as I shot them. Someone else went down. My shotgun tube was empty, more enemies, I died.

It seemed to fall apart very quickly; we were shooting the small enemies at a distance, the big boy came in, we collapsed and died. I can't say how anyone else died, but I died surrounded by little enemies.

I'd be happy to play that fight again, but I'm not going to spend another hour playing, as my friends call it, "red light green light", hammering sleepers, just to fold in the first hard fight of the map. Maybe if I had more free time, but as it is it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 27, 2020

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

What saved my rear end many times in situations like that is to run back through areas you know are safe and string the enemies out as much as possible. Sometimes they will get blocked up on parts of the environment, and according to some players if you keep jumping relentlessly it kind of fucks up their pathing. If your health gets to sub-20% just run, throw a quick hammer strike here and there and don't stop until it gets back to 20%.

In one of the later levels of the last rundown I remember doing a 5+ wave security door where all four of us just ran and jumped in a big clockwise circle for what felt like forever. Eventually ended up getting through it using this method.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Jack B Nimble posted:

Alarm troubles

I'm gonna focus on preserving health in this instance, as being down a man for firepower and spotlight running can quickly cascade into being overrun.

-First thing: Deploy into a solo run and experiment with dodging/hammering strikers 1-on-1; getting a feel for their movements, attack sounds/delay, and range is difficult to get a feel for and explain to others. Just yesterday my group got destroyed in B1 from constant mistakes (which BTW, should NEVER be blamed on anyone - look at what went wrong in a room, and make suggestions for preventing it next time as a team), during which I found myself eating tons of damage from misstiming attacks and whiffing a bunch on strikers. Taking a few minutes to 'warm up' before going into a level in earnest can be a massive help.

-I don't have experience with this, but apparently bunnyhopping can break sleepers' ability to track you and cause them to miss attacks that would otherwise have hit you. Supposedly it's more effective against crawling strikers than standing ones.

-This is something I forget about all the time: Not every room needs to be cleared. If you have doubts about stealthily-hammering everything, pull up the map and try to draw a safe path through with your scanner guy. Go one at a time if you're not comfortable with moving as a group. And don't worry about missing items at that point; when you find the console for that area you can ping for any important items and packs and work out a way to them. Don't forget to close the door behind you, though.

-Try to save your healing until you're about to hit an event. Someone at 20% health becomes a useful pointman/damage sponge for room clearing, and waiting allows you better prioritize aid for teammates with the most ammo - make sure they can stay in the fight the longest.

-Plans will always fall apart, but make one anyway. Who's best-equipped for tall boys? Who's likely to go down? Should that foam grenade be saved for an emergency? Everyone should try to contribute damage, but injured, low-ammo teammates may want to focus towards completing tasks or kiting.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I tried playing this for about 90 minutes, and then ended up uninstalling it and requesting a refund on Steam. That's the first time I've used the Steam refund process in 14 years.

There's the outline of an interesting game, but it's just too...unpolished, and tedious for me. At first, me and some pubbies wasted a good 10 minutes just trying to get in a game together (we all ended up having to restart the game to get the option to ready up and deploy.) Then, the actual game seemed like a lot of wandering around, looking for "item XYZ" or "terminal XYZ" for "door XYZ," but not "item WXY" or "terminal 123," all while dealing with unsatisfying combat. It was definitely far more tedious than the game trailers let on. For reference, I prefer co-op shooters like L4D, Payday, KF, and lately, Deep Rock Galactic. This game might end up being good with some more development, but that seems like a long ways down the line.

Oh and also, the very first pubbie I ran into on the game's official Discord was some dude named "White Power" with Adolf Hitler as his Steam avatar. :stare: So, you know, no thanks.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Atomizer posted:

Oh and also, the very first pubbie I ran into on the game's official Discord was some dude named "White Power" with Adolf Hitler as his Steam avatar. :stare: So, you know, no thanks.

Since this game is more, i guess 'hardcore' oriented, I'm not super surprised people like that are in there.

The game is definitely different than most of those team games; it's way less straight forward 'shoot your way through' which is honestly a large part of the draw. The feeling of tension and exploration is why me and my friends played it but then there's still the forced shootouts at the security doors which is kinda what killed it for us. I enjoyed the panicked combat when someone hosed up and suddenly you're dealing with whatever swarm of enemies you hadn't killed yet, but the security doors were both difficult and tedious.

Also I don't know if anything's different now but none of the weapons felt particularly satisfying to use. We picked it up again after one of the updates a few months back but didn't really feel like anything had changed. With difficulty settings only going one way we probably won't try again.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I think there was a bullpup rifle introduced in one of the last rundowns and an automatic pistol which both felt alright.

The rest of the guns feel so poo poo that everyone just resorts to hammers instead.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Struggling to understand the correlation between "difficult game" and "Nazi" tbh

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thirsty Dog posted:

Struggling to understand the correlation between "difficult game" and "Nazi" tbh

Yeah that's got me rolling my eyes too. I can only assume that this is the whole "if its not mainstream its clearly something i don't like" bullshit that people used to perpetuate ages ago.

slow_twitch posted:

I think there was a bullpup rifle introduced in one of the last rundowns and an automatic pistol which both felt alright.

The rest of the guns feel so poo poo that everyone just resorts to hammers instead.

I actually think the guns feel fine, but the enemies responding to being hit with them sucks.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I liked the choked shotgun

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Thirsty Dog posted:

dogstile posted:

Yeah that's got me rolling my eyes too. I can only assume that this is the whole "if its not mainstream its clearly something i don't like" bullshit that people used to perpetuate ages ago.

It's actually not all that difficult to understand. Multiplayer games that are marketed on being extremely difficult tends to attract people who tend to be elitist and toxic about those less "skilled" than them (especially if the devs are not proactive at curtailing that behavior). This crowd also tends to have a big intersect with the crowd who scream about "free speech" and how they can call people slurs without suffering repercussions for it, who in turn intersect with the Neo Nazi crowd.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

That intersection is the thing that seems like a gigantic leap.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Thread necro but a big update just came out, rundown 5.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not seeing any difficulty setting in the patch preview articles, but I'm happy they're still working on it. New environment looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly i'm not that interested unless i can go back and do previous rundowns + adjust difficulty anymore. None of my friends enjoyed grinding the same level over and over and we've missed a ton of content because it's gated behind levels. Shame, because I enjoyed my 60+ hours on this, but the weird stubbornness on their difficulty is just not doing it for anyone I know, online or offline.