Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Thinking of picking this up, been on the wishlist a while, is the new content worth purchasing or should I wait until it leaves early access?

Btw, read the thread and didn't see a mention of the VR mod: https://github.com/DSprtn/GTFO_VR_Plugin

If it's as intense as the trailer suggests (yeah i doubt) it could be worth a play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

dogstile posted:

the weird stubbornness on their difficulty is just not doing it for anyone I know, online or offline.

Really big-time this

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

slow_twitch posted:

Really big-time this

Yeah. The core of the game could be amazing buts it's like they're designing the game literally off of whatever the best players in their office say.

Its too brutal.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Desdinova posted:

Thinking of picking this up, been on the wishlist a while, is the new content worth purchasing or should I wait until it leaves early access?

Btw, read the thread and didn't see a mention of the VR mod: https://github.com/DSprtn/GTFO_VR_Plugin

If it's as intense as the trailer suggests (yeah i doubt) it could be worth a play.

VR mod is nice but you can't be as precise as the game typically requires. I had a (good) group try it and it was way harder.

E: Lol the new respawn mechanic is there purely to punish good players but its gonna poo poo on everyone else even harder. These loving devs :psyduck:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 30, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Yeah. The core of the game could be amazing buts it's like they're designing the game literally off of whatever the best players in their office say.

Its too brutal.
It's so weird because on one hand they want to keep it brutally hard, on the other they seem to encourage or at least tolerate weird pseudo-exploits like abusing pathfinding by crouching on banisters and bunny hopping and hammer dodge so watching "good" players play optimally looks and feels really silly.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
I've been playing this on and off with a group of friends and am enjoying it.

There's a lot to complain about, but despite the many flaws, I haven't felt this level of tension (enjoyable tension) in a co-op multiplayer experience before.

This game requires gradually learning the optimal load out and strategy for each individual level, together with your team. You do this by trying and failing the same, long level, over and over again (hopefully getting a little bit further each time.) Every other game I've tried like this has led me to rapidly lost interest due to a mounting sense of tedium, but not in GTFO. I just want to try over and over again until I get it right. Each time we get further in a level than we have before there is a sense of discovery and dread.

I'm comfortable knowing that I'll never, ever come even close to seeing or completing all the content in this game. I don't have the time. But I still enjoy the time I spend playing it.

With that said, this game is not going to be most people's cup of tea. There is no difficulty scaling for the number of players, so you really need a group of 4 people who are going to play regularly and focus on learning the mechanics of each level. There are many flaws, the highlights of which include bad character movement, broken enemy movement, subpar-at-best gunplay, and constant performance problems (hitching, stuttering). Any of of those problems alone would normally lead me to throw a shooter in the bin, and yet I'm still playing GTFO and still enjoying it with my friends :shrug:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
GTFO just added check points? Is now good??

Will report back asap.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

how is 1.0?

haven't played in a year or so... did they fix the above mentioned silly "pro" gaming?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I plan to redownload and try it this weekend with friends and find out if the checkpoints finally make the game playable for me and my friends.

Pharmaskittle already told me that the bots are perfectly adequate to fill out a slot or two, fighting well, but since they can't work computers you still wouldn't want to try to "solo" the game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Played it for a couple of hours, and it's better. It may now be at a difficulty that's right for you; for my group personally we certainly had more success, but it still felt like we'd made insufficient progress after two hours of play.

Improvements:
  • The checkpoints are security doors, they're clearly marked in-game as CHECK POINT DOOR. When you open that door, you get a save state; health; ammo, it's all captured in a snap shot and, if you die later, you can reload right at that point. Seems to be one per mission, at least on levels 1 and 2.
  • The Bot is a fine combat companion and pathfinds well. He doesn't seem like he'll ever break your stealth or hit you with friendly fire, so he's nothing but an asset if you don't have a full team.
  • You can tell the Bot to use his special tool. If he has a sentry gun it's perfect because he'll just put it where you ask. If you give him something more complicated like a scanner he does a good job of deploying the motion tracker in combat but, when sneaking, won't do much more then say "there's a few enemies in this area".
  • Objective log is now much more description and updates in real time based on what people have QUERY'd in the terminals; keeping track of what you're doing at any given moment is a lot less tedious than at launch.
  • Oh, there's a lot more of a plot now.

All in all it's solid improvements and could certainly make the game enjoyable for a group that passed on it previously. For me, personally, I still feel the difficulty curve is a bit too sharp; this is a still a game where the team can wipe in as little as five confused seconds. I'm not sure I'll keep playing it after this two hour return, but I'd encourage anyone who had wanted to like the game give it at least that much time yourself and see how you feel now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I tried the game since it's out of early access and wound up refunding it. I can see the potential and can see how it could be fun in its current state but the flashing lights were too intense for me and everyone in my group. One of them had to take a gaming break just 25 minutes in because he got a bad headache from it!

I looked at the accessibility features and the only thing they had related to flashing lights is a setting to enable or disable the warning about flashing lights. What the hell.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I think this is a major improvement. Went through A1 and B1 pretty easily with 3 bots today and it was actually fun. The checkpoint system makes it so you don't feel like you've wasted two hours each time you fail an attempt.

If you were turned off previously definitely give it another attempt.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Rundown 7 Patch notes:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/493520/view/5832739061721878349
Nebulous 'checkpoint bugs' fixed. There were a lot of possible bugs when loading from checkpoint so I doubt they got all of them, but hopefully none of them can make a level unwinnable anymore.
Bots should be a lot more useful now that they won't crouch walk at inappropriate times.
The optimizations seem pretty big. Loading in to A1 takes like 10 seconds which is probably 1/4th as long as any level in the previous rundown?

The new guns:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Has there been any difficulty patch/change since *checks posts* December of last year? It was still too hard for my friends and I then.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jack B Nimble posted:

Has there been any difficulty patch/change since *checks posts* December of last year? It was still too hard for my friends and I then.

If there is it's in the level design itself and not a patch note, tho better bots will definitely be nice if you don't have 4 players :v:
There's one more B-tier level this rundown, so it seems like they are skewing it slightly more towards easier content. If B-tier was already too hard I'm guessing there's not much different there and all you can do to make it easier is use more C-foam and less precision weapons.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 16, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Mine wasn't even the difficulty, it was the incessant balancing towards to stuff that felt exploity. You could beat most hordes by bunny hopping kiting rather than fighting it out "properly" and it felt like a lot of the rundowns were actually curated with these in mind. Also if you didn't want enemies to respawn you needed to leave a player within 2 rooms distance of that respawn room, etc etc.

If they've moved away from that I might consider reinstalling.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We wouldn't bunny hop/kite unless things were already grim, so we would mostly just lose :)

But seriously, I cannot tell you how many times a team of four players, who all know each other, who have completed every major FPS COOP game from the last ten years together, would absolutely dissolve at a security door, invalidating hours of careful sneaking. It's the irresolvable problem at the heart of this game that kept us from playing it, and all we wanted was an option to crank up our HP and damage and lower the same for enemies. It's utterly irrelevant if that would or wouldn't lead to a poorly designed experience because, currently, my friends and I have absolutely no experience with the game because we don't loving play it!

But if the devs are happy with their player base and want to stick to their vision, I mean God speed I guess. Dark Tide is coming!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

dogstile posted:

Mine wasn't even the difficulty, it was the incessant balancing towards to stuff that felt exploity. You could beat most hordes by bunny hopping kiting rather than fighting it out "properly" and it felt like a lot of the rundowns were actually curated with these in mind. Also if you didn't want enemies to respawn you needed to leave a player within 2 rooms distance of that respawn room, etc etc.

If they've moved away from that I might consider reinstalling.

There's a stamina system that specifically counters bunny-hopping and chain melee staggering, you'll pretty much never see it in normal non-exploity play. I've never really tried to do the bunny hop kiting so I don't know how long it takes for the stamina system to screw you over.

I didn't play R6DX but in the rest of Rundown 6 the only respawn rooms were set up so that you couldn't exploit it by leaving someone somewhere:
R6C1 just had a room you'd have to come back through after a long wave defense segment 2 zones later, so it's just "don't bother trying to clear this room it's a waste of ammo"
R6D3 was actually a really cool and novel set up: You go through 2 zones with respawning enemies, one of which is one big room that would be pretty much impossible to survive without stealthing (2 tanks, a dozen or so big strikers and hybrids) and the other is several rooms of regular enemies. After these is a zone with a chokepoint and a door with an error alarm, and you need to have 3 people guard the chokepoint against constant waves of shadows while a 4th sneaks back through the two zones to deactivate the alarm.

Jack B Nimble posted:

But seriously, I cannot tell you how many times a team of four players, who all know each other, who have completed every major FPS COOP game from the last ten years together, would absolutely dissolve at a security door, invalidating hours of careful sneaking.

This was my co-op group's experience and really the thing that flipped it in to us doing well in the game was just using the foam gun a ton, probably 75% of our tool refill packs go to foam. Foam the doors before an alarm. Re-foam a door being attacked if you can do it without delaying a scan's completion. If the door is breaking, foam close enough that they'll get caught in it within good range for your teams' weapons.
If strikers overrun your group you're screwed since you'll be taking a ton of damage and probably missing a lot of shots from panicking, and a C-foamed floor is the difference between having 2 or 3 strikers attacking you at once and 4-10 attacking you.

Once you get used to using foam to keep enemies off the team it's easy to have someone with one of the weapons really good for staggering enemies (e.g. SMG/machine pistol/probably the new HEL gun) dealing with the strikers that do get through, because staggering a striker that's like 75% of the way through its attack animation will keep it from damaging anybody so that player can pick targets reactively while the rest of the team focuses on killing enemies efficiently.

That's not to say I'm telling you to give it another chance if you don't want to, just saying as advice for anybody who's new or struggling :v:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We were one foam, one scanner, 2 guns, and we'd refill guns, so that might have been it.

I doubt anyone wants to play but I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Catering explicitly to an "elite" was one of the things that really contributed to the problems with Payday, so it's been disheartening for such a cool concept and aesthetic to face the same issues. Checkpoints or no, mission length is a big factor: it's hard to get a team together in the co-op goons server because no one wants to spend an hour on each painstaking failed attempt.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Discendo Vox posted:

Catering explicitly to an "elite" was one of the things that really contributed to the problems with Payday, so it's been disheartening for such a cool concept and aesthetic to face the same issues. Checkpoints or no, mission length is a big factor: it's hard to get a team together in the co-op goons server because no one wants to spend an hour on each painstaking failed attempt.

This is kind of where I am with it after playing a few rounds for the free weekend. I love the atmosphere, the spooky designs, the damage deformation, and touches like needing to actually type things into computers to complete objectives. But it does really feel like every payday stealth mission I've ever played where it's "a guard moved a little further than he normally does and now we're set back 15 minutes". If the game didn't have checkpoints it would be utterly unplayable.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah game leans too hard on the stealth aspect, never a good sign when the shooting part of an FPS is the suboptimal action 90% of the time

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Really enjoyed the few hours of this I've played. Game feels good in most regards, and due to the stealth mechanics being required use and the scarcity of resources, it actually delivers survival horror rather than just horror-themed horde shooter, and even so the gunplay is still pretty dang good. Pretty unique experience.
I echo what people have said about mission length. A1 is already long in the tooth for a coop session based game, and the rest are even longer. Fun game, but I want to stop playing long before the game wants me to, especially if the playtime gets extended by wipes. I get that this is probably because they want your item usage to be felt for a long time down the line, but it's a bit excessive. Glad I checked it out since it's actually unique and interesting and I've been struggling to find those qualities in a multiplayer game lately. I don't mind the high difficulty necessarily but it compounds with the length issue to make a frustrating experience. If I'd played it before the implementation of checkpoints I'm pretty sure I would have had some pretty scathing stuff to say about it. Maybe the game should let you save your checkpoints between sessions?

PastaBakeWizard fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 18, 2022

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

It definitely should let you exit the game and pick up from a checkpoint. I haven't looked at data, but I feel like the checkpoints empowered them to make the levels even longer, and when you wipe you're inclined to keep trying so that the progress isn't lost, so a lot of runs just end up as 4 hour long slogs that everyone wants to be done with by the end, with the game getting buggier every wipe. I would like this game if the missions weren't so loving long.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As a reminder for folks looking to play, the co-op goons discord server has dedicated players, roles, and a voice channel for this game. One thing that can make it a lot more bearable is definitely playing with folks you know!

https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk

Another thing worth knowing: enemies take stacking multipler damage from the back and from the head, meaning a hit to the back of the head in stealth will let you reliably one-shot way, way more enemies than any other location.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Count Uvula posted:

Nebulous 'checkpoint bugs' fixed. There were a lot of possible bugs when loading from checkpoint so I doubt they got all of them, but hopefully none of them can make a level unwinnable anymore.

lol, my group has already run into the bug where you get stuck holding an item you have to carry when loading from a checkpoint. We've only loaded one checkpoint this patch and it happened in that one load. Great work fixing that one!

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah game leans too hard on the stealth aspect, never a good sign when the shooting part of an FPS is the suboptimal action 90% of the time

Game is pretty playable being aggressive. My crew cleared everything except D4 last rundown and we killed everything that moved, with almost no exceptions. None of us are sweaty tryhard FPS pros or relying on exploits, we're aging guys who mostly just shoot our way through the waves and sprint around with hammers to murder our way through the sleepers. I do agree that the game is better when loud than sneaky though, the reactor sequence on D3 and whichever C mission that had the timer were my favourites, lots of ammo and health, go loud, kill poo poo.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
*sigh*
I still have several copies of the Alpha in my inventory as steam gifts, because I was interested in this way back when. I played it again on this free weekend, and god I'm annoyed.

There's so much good stuff in this! The aesthetic is cool, the guns feel great, the monsters are freaky (the scouts with the head tendrils are loving great), the whole tone is really good. The terminals are neat, the experience of navigating the levels and checking doors... There's a load of really good game here!

... and yet.

There's a perfect storm of bad choices which make it fundamentally ill-conceived.
It's very hard. The sessions are very long. The bots aren't capable enough to substitute for human players. The game doesn't scale in difficulty for less than four players. There's no in-game server browser; you've got a choice between random matchmaking or a hacky discord-based group matching system.

It's just utterly obstructive to actually having a good experience! I had one really great session over the weekend, where I got in a group with three reasonably competent people from the discord server, and it was really fun! But I can't regularly spend 20+ minutes sitting around in discord waiting for some people to show up so I can make an attempt at a level which would take upwards of an hour if we didn't wipe at any point, and I don't have three friends who would all be interested in a hardcore co-op horror FPS who can reliably make time as a group to play this.

It needs to be more accessible, not as in easier necessarily (though a bit of that wouldn't hurt) but literally as in more practical to actually play. And that goes triple because they're asking £35 for it, which is not a pricepoint where I'm gonna buy it on the offchance I can get a fun afternoon once in a while! It's such a shame, because I would throw my money at them for a version of this game that worked in single-player, or which was just a bit less punishing and had a proper server browser so I might stand a chance of getting a decent game with strangers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah even with the issues I have with the game(including that it has performance issues) that led to me getting it refunded I'd probably buy it again if they put it on sale at say $15 bucks or less, it just doesn't feel worth it as a $40 game(or even the $30 amount that seems to be the lowest they're willing to put it on sale for)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
My review of this rundown so far:
lmao why the gently caress is B1 so hard? I guess we could have tried having someone guard the room entrance instead of piling in to the T-scan, but it took several tries... And then today we went in to B2 blind and did the secondary objective, clean mission with nobody downed outside of a mine deployer mishap.

Also precision rifle seems to suck outside of being the secondary slot weapon with a thermal scope. It takes so many shots to kill a big boy, not sure if I'm missing something or if it's really just a DMR with bad ammo efficiency against the only things it feels good to shoot at with it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Will there be difficulty scaling? Roaming enemies that might reoccupy rooms?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

thotsky posted:

Will there be difficulty scaling? Roaming enemies that might reoccupy rooms?

Not really something the dev say they'll commit to.

There is this cocoon type "enemy" that respawn enemy in room once you move far away enough from the room.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
All the ambient sound effects of things moving in the vents and stuff lose a bit of their charm if it can't actually be something. Roaming enemies would also make the tracker more useful.

A guaranteed respawn seems like the worst possible solution. Not only does it take away the uncertainty (and therefore the horror), but I would be upset that we can't just destroy the thing.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Started playing this with a friend, we cleared B2, but the fog is really, really hampering our fun. B3 has fog that hurts over time, and C1 is just more fog. Were the earlier rundowns like that as well? Just milky soup everywhere and you can't see poo poo?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

giZm posted:

Started playing this with a friend, we cleared B2, but the fog is really, really hampering our fun. B3 has fog that hurts over time, and C1 is just more fog. Were the earlier rundowns like that as well? Just milky soup everywhere and you can't see poo poo?

More or less

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

giZm posted:

Yep, there's always a couple level in each rundown like that.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Nice, any tips for those other than "suck it up and spam repellers"?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Depends on the level, some level it's just something you have to navigate through, some level you'll have just enough repeller for each checkpoint defense and if you wasted too many repeller for convenience you are screwed. You can try the new thermal sight guns and use the terminal to locate loot to minimize time in the fog, but it's just something you have to learn to deal with unfortunately.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

giZm posted:

Unfortunately that's the gameplay tbh

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

giZm posted:

Not in general. Couple specific tips though:
For B3, most of the fog is waist high which means as long as you don't crouch in it you aren't gaining infection. At the end you get a turbine (in any level with fog you can check if there's a turbine by doing 'list turbine' at a terminal btw) so the march back through the rising fog is pretty easy as long as you have your route to the start of the level planned out. The overload objective is loving hell and if you ever want to attempt it you want to have a good amount of fog repellers. Optional objective isn't bad and mostly pays for itself as long as you stay alive, fwiw.

For C1, the bonus area with scouts has an optional terminal with a command that will permanently lower a bunch of the fog in the area. Always worth doing. Not always worth getting all the other resources in the zone if you think the chances of triggering a scout are high.

For C3 (I think that's the fog one? might be C2): The quadrant you start in is simple enough, nobody is ever in the fog if you do the objective without anybody leaving a circle or getting downed. Second quadrant, fog starts rising the moment the terminal scan is finished -- if you don't do the optional objective and get the cells ASAP, you can avoid being in the fog at all. Third quadrant is the same deal but I don't think you can avoid a little bit of infection without repellers -- could just be the harder enemy waves delaying us slightly though. Fourth quadrant is just a long survival portion so you want repellers and to be high up as you can get.

Also B2 is generally a fun easy mission imo so no advice for it besides "use the repellers" but it's a complete dick move that they make you navigate one room with fog before you get any repellers. Trying to walk around in thick fog for too long gives me a loving migraine, and I assume there's a decent amount of people who are sensitive enough that a single room of that poo poo would do it.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
In the first super foggy level we came across if you found the right computer you could turn it off.