Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Thanks guys. We'll suck it up and give it a go. The thermal was actually helpful for scouting, navigating was still a bitch though. From reading the thread I suppose we should bring a foam gun, so far we've only brought sentries and mines.

Count Uvula posted:

Trying to walk around in thick fog for too long gives me a loving migraine, and I assume there's a decent amount of people who are sensitive enough that a single room of that poo poo would do it.
Yeah, towards the end of B2 (we spent 2 hours in that soup) both my eyes and brain throbbed and pulsated like a sleeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Very happy to see people enjoying this game, even if My friends have forsaken it. Maybe I could reinstall and try a few rounds with goons sometime. Still no explicit difficulty settings, right?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Any tips for C1 with 2 bots? We ran for 5 hours today, gotten close twice but between the bots screwing up (not standing in security checks) and us running out of ammo we had no luck in the end.
There are 4 cells in the whole map, how are you supposed to open all the unpowered doors?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Probably not going to go back to this unless some major changes are made. I don't mind the difficulty, but the gameyness of unlimited enemy waves spawning two rooms away and no roaming ones just ruins the immersion. The net code/hitbox jank doesn't help either.

Like, add a bunch of obvious spawn locations that make some kind of narrative sense, have security gates draw in sleepers first from the room, then the adjoining rooms and then the sector by making it about hacking them and the process getting progressively louder (alarms) the longer you take. Have things that wander the entire level, have things that hunt the players, have things actually move through and pop out of vents. Tone down the constant ambient noisescape and actually lean into the stealth/sound aspect of the game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

giZm posted:

Any tips for C1 with 2 bots? We ran for 5 hours today, gotten close twice but between the bots screwing up (not standing in security checks) and us running out of ammo we had no luck in the end.

Sounds like you got through the first third (the foggy part) fine. The waves that start when you crack open your last generator door are pretty simple once you understand them, the way we did it was have one person call the two bots and defend the doorway while the other person finds the vials, with a knife to quickly/easily stealth kill enemies. It's just one of those scenarios where it's much harder with 2 people though, since with 3 you can have someone move from the door to grab the next cell and move it to the generator when the person looking for the vials finds it.
For the last segment of the mission... the survival portion is gonna use up like all your ammo unless you have resupply efficiency boosters. After the survival portion, your options are to have someone quickly stealth in to the next zone to find one of the ammo packs while the other person + the bots defend the door OR just rush in loudly with everyone and deal with having enemies attacking you from both sides, but if you do the former you only have like 2 minutes or something before it spawns a noodle boy at the extract who will break all the doors between you and it.
There's always 2 ammo packs in the last zone, but it's possible for neither of them to spawn in the first room which is a loving nightmare.

giZm posted:

There are 4 cells in the whole map, how are you supposed to open all the unpowered doors?

You don't. You choose which generator door you crack open to get the vials, one has a lot of dark areas and the other has a couple big guys is I think the difference. I think if you dragged a cell back out in to the area enemies are spawning from instead of going deeper in to your chosen path, you could get 2 more ammo packs since you'd have enough cells to open all but one door, but that's way too risky to even think about with 2 people.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Count Uvula posted:

Sounds like you got through the first third (the foggy part) fine.
We managed to collect 8 vials before getting overwhelmed. Thanks for the infos, we'll give the 3 defendybois strat a try next run.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

giZm posted:

We managed to collect 8 vials before getting overwhelmed. Thanks for the infos, we'll give the 3 defendybois strat a try next run.

fwiw the alarm stops as soon as you pick up the 9th vial :) Next time an alarm starts in the mission it lasts until you extract, tho.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

thotsky posted:

Probably not going to go back to this unless some major changes are made. I don't mind the difficulty, but the gameyness of unlimited enemy waves spawning two rooms away and no roaming ones just ruins the immersion. The net code/hitbox jank doesn't help either.

Like, add a bunch of obvious spawn locations that make some kind of narrative sense, have security gates draw in sleepers first from the room, then the adjoining rooms and then the sector by making it about hacking them and the process getting progressively louder (alarms) the longer you take. Have things that wander the entire level, have things that hunt the players, have things actually move through and pop out of vents. Tone down the constant ambient noisescape and actually lean into the stealth/sound aspect of the game.

I think "gameyness" sums up everything I hate about GTFO. Like, if you strip out the artificial difficulty, it's the most boring, generic shooter of all time.

Sneak around, bop the sleepers. Find a door, activate the alarm, fight off waves of monsters while doing X.

Congrats, you've literally played every level of GTFO ever made.

"Yeah, but what is X? Depending on what that is, it could be really fun."

99% of the time, X = stand in a circle. A literal circle drawn on the ground.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's pretty weird with the team coming off Payday 1 and 2, which basically perfected making a wave shooter feel immersive and story-driven.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really liked the initial concept and it felt like they got bored with it and stopped.

Remember the trailer where you could map out the next room with a device? The weird tentacle thing that chased down a survivor? That was pretty cool, shame that to my knowledge, none of that was in the game.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 26, 2022

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

3 bois door strat with final stretch just booking it worked, counting this as a win. Next up: a relaxing stroll through B3.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BrewingTea posted:

I think "gameyness" sums up everything I hate about GTFO. Like, if you strip out the artificial difficulty, it's the most boring, generic shooter of all time.

Sneak around, bop the sleepers. Find a door, activate the alarm, fight off waves of monsters while doing X.

Congrats, you've literally played every level of GTFO ever made.

"Yeah, but what is X? Depending on what that is, it could be really fun."

99% of the time, X = stand in a circle. A literal circle drawn on the ground.

Yeah it's kind of like how Dead By Daylight seems really cool at first and then you play it and realize it's literally just Tag with a Horror skin(like it's amazing how popular that game is when mechanically it's barely more complicated than say Pong or Pac-Man)

Shame too cause GTFO has some really good concepts and visuals that are completely let down by how the game actually plays

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

We decided to ignore B3 because gently caress the fog and went for D1 instead. Actually easier than C1 despite the invisible guys

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A problem with changing the "two rooms away" mechanic for more embedded spawnpoints is that at this point the userbase has already heavily adapted their entire play structure around that mechanic; they'll risk alienating a lot of them if something so fundamental is altered.

thotsky posted:

It's pretty weird with the team coming off Payday 1 and 2, which basically perfected making a wave shooter feel immersive and story-driven.

Bear in mind it's a small fragment of that team, and that with both payday 1 and 2, it's not clear how much of the well-made parts of the game were intentional. I say this despite being the biggest payday whale ever.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Bumping this thread because they're re-releasing the old rundowns and they are here to stay this time, albeit in a slightly changed version from the original I suppose. Plenty of extra content for everybody! And honestly, R1 is a much more relaxed way to get into the game instead of the later rundowns.
Also you get cosmetic unlocks with every cleared level now, which is kinda nice. Got Hackett's helmet and a cool metal blade as a leg replacement from the warden, such a nice guy.

edit: learning about LIST -A ZONE_XX is a game changer, no more having to guess and clear all of the rooms, you simply know how many things are in which zone. So good. Would recommend.

giZm fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 7, 2022

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

anyone still playing this? i picked it up on sale and it seems like a lot of fun, but getting enough people to run a match has proven excruciating

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I come back to it every now and then, but I usually just play with bots. It’s hard to set aside to time to see a level through.
I recall their discord server being pretty good for matchmaking, but I haven’t tried multiplayer since R7. It’s really fun when you get a good team and the pubbies were mostly pleasant.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We've got matchmaking and lfg tags set up in the co-op goons discord, but the raw difficulty and amount of time involved in running any single mission has caused a number of users to bounce off of it.

Feel free to swing by and we can see if a dedicated goon group can get going again.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Power Walrus posted:

I come back to it every now and then, but I usually just play with bots. It’s hard to set aside to time to see a level through.
I recall their discord server being pretty good for matchmaking, but I haven’t tried multiplayer since R7. It’s really fun when you get a good team and the pubbies were mostly pleasant.

It's too scary to play alone + I think their official Discord is shut down or something, the in-game link doesn't work. But if there's a goon discord set up that's worth a shot. thanks vox

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

It's too scary to play alone + I think their official Discord is shut down or something, the in-game link doesn't work. But if there's a goon discord set up that's worth a shot. thanks vox

Their Discord is still alive, I just looked. Try this one? They just posted an announcement a week ago.

https://discord.gg/gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's two big reasons I bounced off GTFO rather hard; 1) it ran absolutely terribly on my laptop for no apparent reason and 2) the game has some of the most blatantly false advertising I've ever seen in a game, the trailers and store page make it out to be an intense shooter like a more serious Killing Floor 2 or something while the actual game is this rather dull experience where 90% of the time you're just crawling around slowly trying to avoid enemies(and maybe occasionally doing a melee kill) and the 10% of the time you are actually engaging with the FPS mechanics it is just really unsatisfying