Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

thotsky posted:

Probably not going to go back to this unless some major changes are made. I don't mind the difficulty, but the gameyness of unlimited enemy waves spawning two rooms away and no roaming ones just ruins the immersion. The net code/hitbox jank doesn't help either.

Like, add a bunch of obvious spawn locations that make some kind of narrative sense, have security gates draw in sleepers first from the room, then the adjoining rooms and then the sector by making it about hacking them and the process getting progressively louder (alarms) the longer you take. Have things that wander the entire level, have things that hunt the players, have things actually move through and pop out of vents. Tone down the constant ambient noisescape and actually lean into the stealth/sound aspect of the game.

I think "gameyness" sums up everything I hate about GTFO. Like, if you strip out the artificial difficulty, it's the most boring, generic shooter of all time.

Sneak around, bop the sleepers. Find a door, activate the alarm, fight off waves of monsters while doing X.

Congrats, you've literally played every level of GTFO ever made.

"Yeah, but what is X? Depending on what that is, it could be really fun."

99% of the time, X = stand in a circle. A literal circle drawn on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU