Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I keep waffling between effort posting far too much, or posting far too little. So I'm going to let Netflix's marketing speak for itself for the most part. I basically don't trust myself not to accidentally spill any beans if I start describing the setting or characters too much. A second season OP will be easier to contend with!

The Witcher is an adaptation of a Polish series of fantasy novels, which have already spawned a failed TV series and an incredibly successful trilogy of games. Netflix's outing will be focusing on specifically the books, though we can probably expect some nods to the games as well, especially aesthetically-- though this franchise is pretty consistent across all forms of media already.

The Witcher owns. Especially the books. I've been looking forward to this for a very long time! Henry Cavill is a big Witcher nerd and is very nice to look at!

Also, Yen is best girl and if you disagree then we shall have to fight to the death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb90gqGYP9c

Geralt of Rivia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LiD3i9DS_c

Yennefer of Vengerberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDPuYeQQNM

Ciri of Cintra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQPxD-GbF2c

I'm warning everyone, here and now, that I refuse to call Dandelion Jaskier. I will forever refer to him as Dandelion whilst discussing this streaming television program. Just keep this in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Do make sure to keep the usual Netflix streaming rules for spoilers in mind, and do not post any book spoilers in this thread without properly tagging them as book spoilers, and if you can from which book the spoiler originates. I expect the show to make a good amount of changes, especially to the timeline, but who knows how much the series will line up. Same goes for any game spoilers that would be relevant to this point of time in the story, or spoil anything by nature of the games being (non-canon technically) sequels.

Anyway, let's just be courteous to those who are unfamiliar with either the books or games. Thanks bbs.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
From the promo materials that we've seen, we will see Yen go from a disfigured woman to a sorceress and Ciri will go from a princess to training to be a witcher under Geralt. It's not entirely clear what Geralt's arc will be other than his relationship developing from meeting those two.

Also Shani best girl

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I expect the season to basically take the best short stories from the first two books, throw in some connective tissue (and background stuff for Yen) for the main series plot line, and end us right about where the second season can just be the third book.

Hype af to see how they handle The Last Wish goddamnit

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've only read the first book and I definitely recognize more than one of those stories in the trailers, so I'll be excited to see those adapted. I've seen people saying the show is including the battle of Sodden Hill, which I'm not familiar with, but looking it up it seems to be a battle that's only referenced in the books but never actually depicted? So it's interesting if they can expound on some of those stories in the show, hope it doesn't get cancelled after two seasons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hope this is good. The trailers lean really hard on the overarching Ciri stuff, but I hope we get a decent amount of time dedicated to individual Geralt adventures. The short stories are some of the best stuff from the books, it would be a shame to skip through too much of it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

stev posted:

I really hope this is good. The trailers lean really hard on the overarching Ciri stuff, but I hope we get a decent amount of time dedicated to individual Geralt adventures. The short stories are some of the best stuff from the books, it would be a shame to skip through too much of it.

:yeah:

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I can't wait for this shiz, ive read all the books multiple times and played the games to death. This probably wont be exactly what i want from a witcher show but im pretty god drat keen regardless. Ive heard they're gonna dump the lot on the 20th, so if true its gonna be am interesting night.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vilgefartz posted:

I can't wait for this shiz, ive read all the books multiple times and played the games to death. This probably wont be exactly what i want from a witcher show but im pretty god drat keen regardless. Ive heard they're gonna dump the lot on the 20th, so if true its gonna be am interesting night.

Good username for this thread.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I here to watch the Witchyman spin his swords and have adventures with Magic Ladies.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Honestly the trailer I saw looked pretty bad but I'm hoping it turns out good anyway

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I think the trailer looked great and this poo poo is gonna own.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just replayed Witcher 3 a few months ago so I'm hype for the show. Henry Cavill seems like a great casting choice for Geralt.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Very hyped for this show and the morons complaining online about dumb things only make me more hype.

Read the books years ago. I remember the overall plot but the finer details are a little more hazy. I liked the short stories from the first couple of books so like other posters i hope they include plenty of that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

I just replayed Witcher 3 a few months ago so I'm hype for the show. Henry Cavill seems like a great casting choice for Geralt.

Legit only interested in this show due to my current Switch replay getting me in the mood.

By the way, just in case anyone is sitting on a Switch. Witcher 3 is fantastic as a hand-held experience, honestly better than on PC.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

esperterra posted:

Anyway, let's just be courteous to those who are unfamiliar with either the books or games.

Even the wretched Trissfolk?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Triss is the best :colbert:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm hoping at least one of the episodes will be what The Witcher started as: a dark-fantasy fairy tale that manages to get even grimmer than Grimm.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bloom posted:

Triss is the best :colbert:

What the hell

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Triss bae

Yen gae

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What the hell

She is the best

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yen for life sorry haters

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Go triss...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really do wonder how they'll handle Triss. Maybe the show will make Triss lovers who have only played the games see the light ...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Who would y'all like to see as Letho? Bautista would probably be awesome but he might be too famous now to take the role. Who else would be a good meat mountain?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Who would y'all like to see as Letho? Bautista would probably be awesome but he might be too famous now to take the role. Who else would be a good meat mountain?

Danny DeVito.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Scott Adkins

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

GreenNight posted:

Danny DeVito.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sadly Letho, and the entire Viper school, do not exist in the books! It's unlikely we'll see him. But I'm honestly super into them bringing in some of the game only characters, it would be lit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm thinking alot of the games only people are gonna be disappointed.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

esperterra posted:

Sadly Letho, and the entire Viper school, do not exist in the books! It's unlikely we'll see him. But I'm honestly super into them bringing in some of the game only characters, it would be lit.

Might depend on how long the series runs since the games (at least by their own canon) pick up where the books end. Still, as far as human mountains go we'll still have a chance to meet Dijkstra.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GreenNight posted:

I'm thinking alot of the games only people are gonna be disappointed.

I hope not!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Well they'll be a bit confused at least, I read they changed Dandelion's name to the apparently more.Polish Jaskier.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Might depend on how long the series runs since the games (at least by their own canon) pick up where the books end. Still, as far as human mountains go we'll still have a chance to meet Dijkstra.

Ah sure shove him aside forcefully what could, oh no Geralt

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well they'll be a bit confused at least, I read they changed Dandelion's name to the apparently more.Polish Jaskier.

Since my versions of thr witcher were ebooks on the internet translated by some nice soul, the book with the dragon had him named as Jaskier and the rest of the books had him as Dandelion, so forever i thought theres another random well known bard walking about, which now i kind of think isnt a bad idea, instead of having dandelion conveniently pop up out of nowhere during that story.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

We might still get Regis though right?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

We might still get Regis though right?

Seems pretty likely, we've already got a second season and probably a third?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Why does he carry two swords? Does he lose them often?

Also, looking forward to how they handle the bug from Witcher 2 where everyone in Flotsom walked around the town in their underwear :getin:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

vandalism posted:

Why does he carry two swords? Does he lose them often?

Also, looking forward to how they handle the bug from Witcher 2 where everyone in Flotsom walked around the town in their underwear :getin:

One is heavy steel for people everyday use, the other is a lighter silver sword for magical monster fighting, but you should already know that from the games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The best thing about the trailer was the bath Geralt reference