Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
only problem with fishburne is that hes too fat. i know this is a weird nitpick but i dont think vampires can get fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

scary ghost dog posted:

only problem with fishburne is that hes too fat. i know this is a weird nitpick but i dont think vampires can get fat

That depends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-r5dBHVei8

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think this is really good casting. His style is perfect for a character like that.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

nine-gear crow posted:

I've got a feeling that the show is gonna just keep plugging away completely in spite of the internet's constant bitching about it regardless ofdue to its quality.

ftfy

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally got around to watching the 3rd session and at least now I know why there's only like 5 sorceresses and why Sisgusminds leg is all hosed up in Witcher 3.

I also feel even less bad for killing him again.

One thing I can't remember, there was a 3rd major Northern kingdom that Geralt and Triss were bffs with their king, not Cintra or Redania.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I finally got around to watching the 3rd session and at least now I know why there's only like 5 sorceresses and why Sisgusminds leg is all hosed up in Witcher 3.

One thing I can't remember, there was a 3rd major Northern kingdom that Geralt and Triss were bffs with their king, not Cintra or Redania.

Temeria, where the Striga situation happened, and featured heavily in the first two games

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tender Bender posted:

Temeria, where the Striga situation happened, and featured heavily in the first two games

Thats it. Isnt that the palace you meet The Emperor in?

Something Witcher 3 did was make me think Nilfgaard wasn't that bad, yea they were waging a destructive war, but they seemed more politically progressive than the Northern Kingdoms? Like they didn't have "genocide all non humans" as a cornerstone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

twistedmentat posted:

Thats it. Isnt that the palace you meet The Emperor in?

Something Witcher 3 did was make me think Nilfgaard wasn't that bad, yea they were waging a destructive war, but they seemed more politically progressive than the Northern Kingdoms? Like they didn't have "genocide all non humans" as a cornerstone.

They don't genocide nonhumans but indentured servitude is in the works. They make politically expedient alliances with the Squirrel guerrillas and the elves negotiate a land claim for Dol Blathanna but that's as far as it goes.

Nilfgaard is not openly hostile to all life but that's only in comparison to the Northern Kingdoms. Internally they're kinda hosed and only held together by strongman leadership and ruthless power plays.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think what's interesting about Nilfgaard is that they're a purely political threat that, in a vacuum, has nothing at all to do with Geralt and this is made painfully clear several times in the stories. Like, it's an existential threat to the northern kingdoms, which by proxy affects the wizards, but mostly war is just a backdrop that makes things more complicated for Geralt. I don't think they're supposed to be 'bad', at least no more bad than any other kingdom in the Witcher universe is, but the war itself creates an instigating event that drives a lot of the plot.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

twistedmentat posted:

in witcher 2 you have the option to shatter his leg

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ded posted:

in witcher 2 you have the option to shatter his leg

He’s not in Witcher 2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Who calls Djikstra "Sigismund" I'd forgotten that was even his name and I've read all the books/played the games

And yea Nilfgaard isn't evil exactly but the books place a big emphasis on freedom and Nilfgaard represents a huge threat to that concept. The Scoia'tael stuff is definitely there to make it a bit more grey though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

On the one hand, Laurence Fishburne is one of those actors who, despite his insane talent and gravitas, will do just about anything for a paycheck. But on the other hand, casting someone like Fishburne at least suggests that everyone involved seems to be confident and committed to trying to make the show run without Cavil as Geralt. I've got a feeling that the show is gonna just keep plugging away completely in spite of the internet's constant bitching about it regardless of quality.

Yeah as much as I love Cavill as Geralt, this does kind of feel like a similar situation to the old Top Gear trio needing the BBC more than the BBC needing the old trio, with similar fan outrage of the change of faces. Cavill witcher was great, but I will keep an open mind towards any future witchering.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Taear posted:

Who calls Djikstra "Sigismund" I'd forgotten that was even his name and I've read all the books/played the games

And yea Nilfgaard isn't evil exactly but the books place a big emphasis on freedom and Nilfgaard represents a huge threat to that concept. The Scoia'tael stuff is definitely there to make it a bit more grey though.

Sigismund is easier to spell than Djikstra.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Actually it's spelled Dijkstra :goonsay:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

you mean siggy?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Siggy Reuven and his best friend Bart

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jehde posted:

Yeah as much as I love Cavill as Geralt, this does kind of feel like a similar situation to the old Top Gear trio needing the BBC more than the BBC needing the old trio, with similar fan outrage of the change of faces. Cavill witcher was great, but I will keep an open mind towards any future witchering.

not really

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jehde posted:

Top Gear crashed and burned afterwards while the original Trio went on to a very successful show on Amazon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But only Clarkson was on Clarkson's Farm.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ZgJCl62sA

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Is this the story 'A little sacrifice' from Sword of Destiny? It's a decent choice though not a whole lot happens in it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Crap, now I wish they would just animate each of the short stories in order and make an actual good witcher show thereby.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’ to End With Season 5

quote:

Netflix’s fantasy series “The Witcher” has been renewed for Season 5, which will be the end of the series, the streamer announced Thursday morning. It also confirmed that Season 4 is now in production, and it will film back to back with Season 5.

Seasons 4 and 5 will cover Andrzej Sapkowski’s three remaining “Witcher” novels, “Baptism of Fire,” “The Tower of the Swallow” and “Lady of the Lake.” There is no release date yet for Season 4.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
💩

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ironically a good sign since it means they won't have time to try and do all their own "shocking" original reinterpretations and just stick to the source material

....lol they're not gonna do that

season 5 is gonna have them find the wacky dwarf lesbian from Blood Origin in like magical cryogenic suspension and she's gonna wake up screaming her catchphrase "strap yer tits!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am glad I didn't watch the Michelle Yeoh prequel.

I still haven't watched Season 3. Between the long Covid-induced gap from Season 1 to Season 2 and the overall quality of season 2 I'm amazed just how quickly I fell out from watching the show. I love the books and I love the games and I think that Season 1 was carried by some great performances, but it's just not a good show after that.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Agreed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yah. My bar for bad fantasy is pretty high, but Witcher s2 and especially withcher s3 I spect the whole time griping, and about like production stuff not story stuff which is a bad sign.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arc Hammer posted:

I am glad I didn't watch the Michelle Yeoh prequel.

I still haven't watched Season 3. Between the long Covid-induced gap from Season 1 to Season 2 and the overall quality of season 2 I'm amazed just how quickly I fell out from watching the show. I love the books and I love the games and I think that Season 1 was carried by some great performances, but it's just not a good show after that.

This is word for word my experience with the show as well. Season 1 was decent. Season 2 had decent moments with a lot of lovely narrative choices and I hopped off the train as soon as Cavill announced his departure. I have yet to see season 3.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

chaosapiant posted:

This is word for word my experience with the show as well. Season 1 was decent. Season 2 had decent moments with a lot of lovely narrative choices and I hopped off the train as soon as Cavill announced his departure. I have yet to see season 3.

Same.
It is like the show was two different series stapled together.
Adventures of Geralt of Rivia and ... the rest of the show.
First one was great and rest was mostly trash.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's just bananas to me they get Cavill, who is the most enthusiastic casting choice they could have ever possibly hoped for, then completely squandered it. What sort of stuff did you have to do to finally make him throw up his arms in defeat and quit? I imagine him being lead to believe he had the Superman role locked in probably was another factor but still. Every review of the show always specifically mentioned his performance as a plus, regardless of the review was positive or negative. If I were the producer I'd do everything to keep that nerd happy and from what I've understood it was just a matter of staying a bit more faithful to the source material. Though, I imagine we'll never know what really happened, this is just all speculation on my part.

Having read the material between seasons, there wasn't a whole lot that needed to be "updated" so to speak. There's always that deep-seated fear I have with fantasy, especially the older the book, where I'd be reading it then come across some really gross garbage that puts me off completely. Or you start to notice that, wow, this author really hates women or, at least, treats women characters are objects, ect. But those first two books are supremely good. If you read those and nothing else you can walk away from the franchise satisfied.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They squandered it because Cavill was the most enthusiastic character choice.

The writers/producers/whoever the gently caress was very upset they didn't get to do their own thing with the Witcher and Cavill was very keen on the source material so they very specifically were not going to collaborate with Cavill. It's fairly common and typical in Hollywood that writers/producers/etc. will want to make their own thing but they get staffed on a project they could give a gently caress about so they try to, where they can, shove their creative expression into the project they were assigned to, whether it makes sense or not.

Like, you see it in a bunch of shows when they do really weird episodes because the showrunner wanted to do an episode based on GI Joe (Community) or the showrunner wanted to have an interpretive dance segment (IASIP). Sometimes it hits, sometimes it misses. But that's a showrunner who has the authority to do that poo poo. If you're a writer and you really want to write about Mt. Doom and a producer really wants to see explosions and the art director really wants to use a bunch of red filters and the director really wants an action scene, then maybe you have Galadriel doing backflips and killing orcs with a sword then a volcano goes off nearby. It's a sign that a production is going to loving suck if there's no coordinated guiding light for the people involved other than everyone just trying to put there thing out there to build their career and say "I directed an action scene", "I wrote canon material about Lord of the Rings", "I have a post-volcano eruption scene on my reel", etc. It's very creatively stifling to work on a big-budget production like LOTR or Witcher if you're not passionate about the thing already since it's already been done.

Witcher seems like they just have a really toxic environment where people are given too much freedom when the story is already largely written (frustrating the writers), the design has already been done in the video games (frustrating the designers), and the overall storyline/hook/vibe is largely already determined by the combination of the book/video game. To a team that likely wants creative freedom and resume padding, being handed a HUGE budget to simply repeat/iterate on what's already been done is a recipe for disaster without an EXTREMELY good showrunner-- a role that Cavill could apparently fill, despite just being an actor. He very clearly "gets it" and was more than happy to be Geralt doing Geralt things instead of whatever the gently caress this TV series was. If a TV series would be judged based on whether or not people like it, they would have been about 10 billion times more likely to get favor by having Cavill more involved and more in control.

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 22, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All that is to say I look forward to whatever Cavill brings to his 40K project for Amazon, since he shows a similar level of understanding the assignment for Warhammer that he did for Witcher. The guy is a huge nerd.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Big same. And what happened on the Witcher really elevated Cavill in the audience's eyes so the studio will likely defer to him especially since they just hosed up Rings of Power when left to their own devices. If they want goodwill they'll shove Cavill onto Tiktok as much as possible where he can gush about 40k.

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 22, 2024

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Rest in piss

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Lady of the Lake season gonna be WILD if they stick close to the book

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"If"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jokes posted:

They squandered it because Cavill was the most enthusiastic character choice.

The writers/producers/whoever the gently caress was very upset they didn't get to do their own thing with the Witcher and Cavill was very keen on the source material so they very specifically were not going to collaborate with Cavill. It's fairly common and typical in Hollywood that writers/producers/etc. will want to make their own thing but they get staffed on a project they could give a gently caress about so they try to, where they can, shove their creative expression into the project they were assigned to, whether it makes sense or not.

Like, you see it in a bunch of shows when they do really weird episodes because the showrunner wanted to do an episode based on GI Joe (Community) or the showrunner wanted to have an interpretive dance segment (IASIP). Sometimes it hits, sometimes it misses. But that's a showrunner who has the authority to do that poo poo. If you're a writer and you really want to write about Mt. Doom and a producer really wants to see explosions and the art director really wants to use a bunch of red filters and the director really wants an action scene, then maybe you have Galadriel doing backflips and killing orcs with a sword then a volcano goes off nearby. It's a sign that a production is going to loving suck if there's no coordinated guiding light for the people involved other than everyone just trying to put there thing out there to build their career and say "I directed an action scene", "I wrote canon material about Lord of the Rings", "I have a post-volcano eruption scene on my reel", etc. It's very creatively stifling to work on a big-budget production like LOTR or Witcher if you're not passionate about the thing already since it's already been done.

Witcher seems like they just have a really toxic environment where people are given too much freedom when the story is already largely written (frustrating the writers), the design has already been done in the video games (frustrating the designers), and the overall storyline/hook/vibe is largely already determined by the combination of the book/video game. To a team that likely wants creative freedom and resume padding, being handed a HUGE budget to simply repeat/iterate on what's already been done is a recipe for disaster without an EXTREMELY good showrunner-- a role that Cavill could apparently fill, despite just being an actor. He very clearly "gets it" and was more than happy to be Geralt doing Geralt things instead of whatever the gently caress this TV series was. If a TV series would be judged based on whether or not people like it, they would have been about 10 billion times more likely to get favor by having Cavill more involved and more in control.

Various leaks from the writers room indicated at least some of writing team thought the books were trash and didn't think they were worth reading. Cavill has been as diplomatic about it as possible but was constantly getting into on set over the writing being completely off target. There's just such a weird contempt for the original books, also needing to kill off a major series character who doesn't die in the books because it would shock and surprise everyone.

The biggest example was when Roach dies, the original line was for him to make a sarcastic quip. This is extremely out of character for literally everything up to this point in the franchise, and Geralt as a character has always had love and fondness for his horses. Cavill just straight up refused to say it leading to a stand off with the showrunner Lauren Hissrich where she basically told him to go ahead write his own line and they'd film it sight unseen and it was actually great because he wrote it from the characters heart coming from someone who loved and immersed themselves in the series and soul of Geralt.

The showrunner/writing team clearly wanted to do something more like Blood Origin, crazy characters, copious profanities, basically meme poo poo wall to wall. Cavill probably walked away after seeing it wasn't going to change and his own ability to influence the writing or producers had hit a dead stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

jokes posted:

It's fairly common and typical in Hollywood that writers/producers/etc. will want to make their own thing but they get staffed on a project they could give a gently caress about so they try to, where they can, shove their creative expression into the project they were assigned to, whether it makes sense or not.
I can think of so many examples where an iconic scene from a book is 'adapted' for a film/TV show. The scene is adapted because the film/TV writers want to stamp their own mark and therefore write their own (worse) dialogue.

At least these failed adaptations highlight how impressive it is when a production team gets it right.