Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I have high hopes, but I admit I am disappointed with what appears to be going on with Ciri. At least based on all of the trailers she seems to have a big presence in this short (what, 8 episodes?) season, which I don't think will give her backstory time to breathe. I feel like the audience will not understand why Ciri is 'joined by destiny' to Geralt without a good leadup to it.

Unrelatedly I also feel like the casting choice is bad, the actress looks ridiculously frail, and weirdly beady-eyed (though this may be due to color contacts). (book... 4? spoilers)I just don't buy her being at all intimidating or dangerous (like when she hung with the Rats). Like, my 10 year old daughter is bigger than her. It might have worked if she was playing a damsel in distress, but not Ciri. Having said that, good acting can go a very long way, and I realize I'm just being super nitpicky due to being an ardent fan of the series. Don't take me too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Kill All Cops posted:

One is heavy steel for people everyday use, the other is a lighter silver sword for magical monster fighting, but you should already know that from the games

Probably, since that's a quote from one of the games.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I hope its good but its a netflix original so you gotta qualify that.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Qmass posted:

I hope its good but its a netflix original so you gotta qualify that.

Netflix: If it's good they'll just repeat the 1st season several times with slight cosmetic changes

That's right I'm talking about Stranger Things

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

vandalism posted:

Why does he carry two swords? Does he lose them often?

Also, looking forward to how they handle the bug from Witcher 2 where everyone in Flotsom walked around the town in their underwear :getin:

That was a bug? I thought it was just commentary on how lovely life in Medieval times were, as interpreted by William Manchester.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Kaedric posted:

I have high hopes, but I admit I am disappointed with what appears to be going on with Ciri. At least based on all of the trailers she seems to have a big presence in this short (what, 8 episodes?) season, which I don't think will give her backstory time to breathe. I feel like the audience will not understand why Ciri is 'joined by destiny' to Geralt without a good leadup to it.

Unrelatedly I also feel like the casting choice is bad, the actress looks ridiculously frail, and weirdly beady-eyed (though this may be due to color contacts). (book... 4? spoilers)I just don't buy her being at all intimidating or dangerous (like when she hung with the Rats). Like, my 10 year old daughter is bigger than her. It might have worked if she was playing a damsel in distress, but not Ciri. Having said that, good acting can go a very long way, and I realize I'm just being super nitpicky due to being an ardent fan of the series. Don't take me too seriously.

I dunno i think with the right kind of atittude she could pull off the violent yolandi look

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Good recent interview about the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flFOf1y204w

esperterra posted:

I'm warning everyone, here and now, that I refuse to call Dandelion Jaskier. I will forever refer to him as Dandelion whilst discussing this streaming television program. Just keep this in mind.

He isn't Dandelion on the show? :monocle:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Pam pa ram pam pam param

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ninurta posted:

That was a bug? I thought it was just commentary on how lovely life in Medieval times were, as interpreted by William Manchester.

It was a bug which became endearing so after it was patched out they included that some people no longer wore pants. There were also a bunch of historical enthusiasts who insisted that this was historically accurate, and not a bug, so that was just another reason to run with it. This was fully implemented in the third game.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Pam pa ram pam pam param

:hmmyes:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Hyped for this, even if it looks a little rough and I have full-on GoT fatigue.

And if not pam param, I better get some kind of townsperson dialogue Easter egg.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Kill All Cops posted:

One is heavy steel for people everyday use, the other is a lighter silver sword for magical monster fighting, but you should already know that from the games

Yeah, I was posting a line of dialog from a kid in Flotsam.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Eh, I guess I'll watch this.

Not sure why'd choose the name witcher tho... that's kinda dumb???

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's The Witcher though

I was looking for this earlier today :allears:

itry fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 20, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Deakul posted:

Eh, I guess I'll watch this.

Not sure why'd choose the name witcher tho... that's kinda dumb???

CD Projekt Red made that decision way back when, and the English-speaking world has been stuck with it ever since.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Much better than the alternative, imo. Hexer always sounded weird.

And makes me want to play Hexen. Which is a good thing tbf.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
People thought the name was dumb back then too, but the game and Geralt was cool enough that the name and the series lived on

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, should've been translated as the Wizzer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I am so loving excited for this show I don't care if it's even just mediocre I will watch and savor every precious minute

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:yeah:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I’m really looking forward to it, but I stand by the fact that Henry Cavill looks too young and fresh faced. Geralt always struck me as looking like early to mid 40’s or at least with the skin of someone who worked outside in the elements for decades.

I think a beard would go a long way. I mean, they edited out his mustache for Batman V Superman. Could they just edit in a beard??

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Anyone knows around what time Netflix'll drop it?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Historically Netflix shows drop at midnight PST

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Cool, thank you

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I’m really looking forward to it, but I stand by the fact that Henry Cavill looks too young and fresh faced. Geralt always struck me as looking like early to mid 40’s or at least with the skin of someone who worked outside in the elements for decades.

I think a beard would go a long way. I mean, they edited out his mustache for Batman V Superman. Could they just edit in a beard??

He's not even 100 years old, and other witchers who were several centuries old looked like they were in their mid 40's.

He probably should still look young.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, I'll be downloading all the episodes and watching them during my travel time on the plane tomorrow. A nice way to pass the time.

Although I'll probably watch the first episode at midnight.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Who would y'all like to see as Letho? Bautista would probably be awesome but he might be too famous now to take the role. Who else would be a good meat mountain?

Probably would be too small for the role of meat mountain, but for some reason Ron Perlman came to mind and now I want to see this happen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gedt posted:

Anyone knows around what time Netflix'll drop it?

Midnight PST.

e: fb

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Geralt hates beards. Like really hates them.

Geralt is supposed to look rather young, anyway. Not as young as the sorceresses tend to glamour, but the books kind of fluctuate between him being a hosed up rugged dude and so hot that women swoon over him just walking past him in the street.

Cavill's nearly 40, anyway.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Who is gonna play Odrin?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Vin Diesel as Leto? Isn't Vin doing his own action movie soon again? He looked fit in that

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

So quickest way to watch this is boot up the PS4 in 40 minutes and netflix it?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

vandalism posted:

Why does he carry two swords? Does he lose them often?

To match his two pricks.

I woke up this morning all hype to download it for my commute but I was foiled by an 8am GMT release :bahgawd:

Really hoping this is good, must admit trailers have been lukewarm for me so far, as a games first books second fan.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
It's out. Gogo.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Spoilers for episode 1: that poor deer

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
You poor deer

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Whoever this lady in the Tavern is is my new favorite character.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
So they're really going all out with this ridiculous voice deepener, thought after Black Sails they would've realized it's a bad idea

edit: I'll spoiler tag stuff that's actual spoilers

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 20, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Geralt is the worst part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
First episode appears to be mostly/entirely based on The Lesser Evil. Which is good because if you were going to pick it an entry point into The Witcher, it's the best one.