Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This voice is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm enjoying this I like the ott crazy English batman voice.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
20min in this rules hard

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JBP posted:

I'm enjoying this I like the ott crazy English batman voice.

same

geralt is very melodramatic for a man who pretends he doesn't feel anything

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

cheesetriangles posted:

Geralt is the worst part of the show.

Agreed

I'm liking everything else about the show except anything to do with Cavill/Geralt

Also I've never played any of the Witcher games or read any of the books for what it's worth

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Cavill does seem super stiff. When he's giving his little "Evil is evil" speech to Stregobor, he turns like he can't bend his waist.

I also find it amusing that the show is trying to ride the line between being based on the books and existing because the games were popular. The Wild Hunt just got namedropped for no good reason.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 20, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really love the intense-rear end eyes Geralt, Yen and Ciri have. Not enough fantasy adaptations lean into the ridiculous eye colours and poo poo, and I appreciate it very much here.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

EP 1: Just got to a big fight scene it was short but looked quite nice

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

1stGear posted:

Cavill does seem super stiff. When he's giving his little "Evil is evil" speech to Stregobor, he turns like he can't bend his waist.

I also find it amusing the line the show is trying to ride the line between being based on the books and existing because the games were popular. The Wild Hunt just got namedropped for no good reason.

They exist in the books as well. Thought they don't get mentioned much until later in the saga.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

esperterra posted:

They exist in the books as well. Thought they don't get mentioned much until later in the saga.

Oh, I'm aware. But like you said, they're not a thing for a while and mentioning them so early just seems like an intentional reference than an organic bit of world-building.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like Cavil gets better later in the episode.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your general shouting "WE'RE LOSING in the middle of a battle is not conducive to your chances of winning

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

1stGear posted:

Oh, I'm aware. But like you said, they're not a thing for a while and mentioning them so early just seems like an intentional reference than an organic bit of world-building.

Yeah, that's fair tbh.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

1stGear posted:

I feel like they get namedropped at some point in the short stories? Maybe my memory's fucky on that though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel like Cavil gets better later in the episode.

Brass tacks he's playing a pretty silly character and I find my brain sometimes needs a short while to orient to whatever the actor is putting down. I think he's doing a good job and the show is fun.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

JBP posted:

Brass tacks he's playing a pretty silly character and I find my brain sometimes needs a short while to orient to whatever the actor is putting down. I think he's doing a good job and the show is fun.

I think it's also his writing is a bit better later in the episode?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm really enjoying this Renfri.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The fight scenes are amazing.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tehran 1979 posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your general shouting "WE'RE LOSING in the middle of a battle is not conducive to your chances of winning

sticking your cavalry 2 feet in front of your infantry and having them start the charge when the enemy line is like 10 feet away probably isn't the best idea either lol

I cracked up pretty hard when he did that though

show is fun so far and I'm attributing some of Cavill's stiffness to it being the first episode and an adaptation of the Lesser Evil, so he's probably playing Geralt at maximal fake-stoicness

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

The fight scenes are amazing.

These sword fights in the first episode’s climax are sick as hell

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

loving yep.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I expect Geralt to show more of his personality the more he meets his future friends.

Hell, he's already opening up [E1] talking to his BFF Roach!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Escobarbarian posted:

oh baybee headshots

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wow Lars Mikkelsen can gently caress off

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yeah. Not realistic in the slightest, clearly getting across the idea that Geralt is fast as gently caress, and most importantly PIROUETTES

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

EP 1 owned. I'm onto 2 and then on until the end.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This show might be really good?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

cheesetriangles posted:

This show might be really good?

My biggest takeaway from ep 1 is that the show understands the story and setting. The pacing is a little weird but it still gets across Geralt's character, the important plot beats, and the overall themes while being entertaining. I'm gonna have to watch the rest later, but the foundation is solid.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
First half of first episode not great, really picked up in the middle and by the end it's pretty drat good.

On to Ep2.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Tehran 1979 posted:

First half of first episode not great, really picked up in the middle and by the end it's pretty drat good.

On to Ep2.

EP 2 starts hella strong.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

EP 2: Dandelion owns.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yo the ending of ep one was rad as gently caress. Butcher of Blaviken indeed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This show is luxuriously badass.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
This is starting to feel needlessly cruel. Is it a staple of the source material or something?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tehran 1979 posted:

This is starting to feel needlessly cruel. Is it a staple of the source material or something?

lol

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Tehran 1979 posted:

In what way is it needlessly cruel? It's a brutal cruel world they live in. Seems pretty straight forward.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tehran 1979 posted:

The Witcher 3 has a 20 hour stretch of story commonly referred to as 'Peasant Misery Simulator'.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

In this world they use monsters for pest control (the pests being peasants).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The Pacing in 2 is much more even compared to 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Hamelekim posted:

In what way is it needlessly cruel? It's a brutal cruel world they live in. Seems pretty straight forward.

First few minutes of EP 2 is handicapped girl who lives her life covered in pigshit with bullies torturing her, only for her to then be sold by her father, to a stranger, for less than the price of a piglet

Stev explained it above, I had no idea the world was supposed to be this grimdark. Not complaining about it now that I know it's intentional, just wasn't aware.

Lol at the royal born girl calling someone who saved her life and fed her "Rat boy" . Marie Antoinette's ancestor spotted

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 20, 2019