Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just finished reading all the books and man that last one is some next level poo poo. sincerely doubt that the producers of this show will be capable of faithfully adapting it but, heres hoping. one of my favorite books ive ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

You talking Lady of the Lake? Was that ending a gut-punch or what? The ending to that and Sword of Destiny both hit me in the heart.

powerful stuff. there were a bunch of big emotional moments and every one of them hit hard. the part with iola and the dwarf surgeon dying trying to save victims of the plague, ciri et al visiting the graves of the rats, the squirrels in the cart reaching out to the humans for bread..... lotta tears from me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

The show definitely has its work cut out for it, but I'm really hoping they pull it off and land all the seasons. I want to see a lot of those scenes come to life.

im just glad it encouraged me to read the books and, now, replay the game. even if the show turns out like game of thrones, it will have been worth it for me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Not sure if you're up for it, but if you just finished the books, I'd recommend playing all three games in order. I think everything is tied together really well.

im sure it is but theres a limit for me and its playing for-real pc games

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
still thinking about this book......fringilla vigo getting so embarrassed by geralt she has to invent a new face cream that makes it impossible to tell when shes embarrassed lmao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hunterhr posted:

This was me.

I just finished Blood and Wine at 160 hours.

I should watch the show again.

absolutely read the books. the game is full of payoffs to book content

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah the whole sequence with the oneiromancer in novigrad is a bunch of book references, but it also works really well as a short primer on ciri

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
does anyone in the game ever say “you have mistaken the reflections of stars on the surface of a lake for the night sky”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Man Vilgefortz was a huge letdown, he’s not charming or charismatic, has almost no screen presence, just awful. And cahir is hilariously over the top evil for his character.

agreed that they hosed up cahir but i didnt think vilgefortz was an especially charismatic or compelling villain in the books either. just seems like a conniving rear end in a top hat

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

He's got a certain superficial charisma in the show. Not familiar with any of the other material so I can't say what they were going for but I thought he worked OK.

thats exactly how he is in the books until half his face is destroyed and he goes insane

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

jokes posted:

I think Witcher is one of those RPGs that would really benefit from a glamour system so we can dress up Gerald without giving a poo poo about the numbers.

The entire stats system is the worst part of Witcher no joke.

just put it on easy mode lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pidan posted:

Unpopular opinion: The ballsack has way more character than that offbrand GoT armor.

stupid and hosed up opinion

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the character is inside the armor......

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
less distracting armor probably means a better performance from the actor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

davidspackage posted:

They're really funny.

I read the newest one one after the show came out, though, and I have a suspicion it was ghostwritten for Sapkowski. Partially because he really seemed done with the series and partially because it's not very good.

it was written like a decade later which might account for the tone variance. i still really like it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I thought Season of Storms was an awesome book meself. I think all The Witcher books are absolutely incredible. I’m excited for season 2. That is all.

agreed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ok. whens the premiere

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

this show was really bad hope season 2 sticks to the loving books

and i feel like mugatu taking crazy pills that awful jaskier song really got meme status?

the song rules

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I really dug season 1 because it was exactly what I wanted out of a fantasy show: a bard and a rogue traveling together and having monster of the week adventures. Also a solid YA fantasy book about witch school woven in between.

Season 2 might also be great, but if it is it'll have to be for different reasons than what I liked about season 1. I'm not sure if I'll dig a more serialized version or not, but here's to hoping.

e: but I'm a filthy non-book reader who has only played like 2 hours of Witcher 3 so what do I know

the books are ftw

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

As someone who never read the books or played the games I enjoyed the show. :shrug:

the books are really really good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

they used the lovely gimmick of time cuts and different timelines. the only recent time it was used well was on westworld season 1

westworld season 1 was really bad

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

it was the only good season of that show

it was definitely better than the second season but it still wasnt really good. lost kind of hosed up the way some tv shows are written where theres an obsession over generating discussion and theorizing in online forums after every episode, to the detriment of the shows overall coherency. westworld would have been way better if it wasnt written in a way to optimize the amount of reddit threads predicting what certain plot beats foreshadow

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

The Witcher books get progressively worse as they go on, but the first two short story collections are bangers

this is completely the opposite of reality

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
theres a big drop off as you move past the short stories into the series proper but the books just get better (as the translation improves) and the last book is next-level payoffs and character beats from cover to cover. its awesome

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

esperterra posted:

Yeah, the translations aren't terrible by any means. It's more that you can definitely feel the difference when it switches to the new translator.

right. i cant pinpoint what is improved but the david french-translated books are definitely better and lady of the lake is just sublime

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Riven posted:

My favorite thing about Lady of the Lake is how all his authorial quirks get together and go into overdrive. Like his love of having scenes told in retrospect by some brand new character you’ve never met before, but pretty instantly like.

Culminating in LotL being told in retrospect by TWO different narrators from two different parts of time and space.

A lesser author would not wrap those two narrators together as brilliantly as he does.

yeah the condwiramurs chapters are probably my favorite thing about the book

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Honestly, this felt like a fault to me, too many differing, widely-spread viewpoints that bogged down the main plot and necessitated more and more info-dumps about who these characters were and why they cared. It's a shame because you're right, I DID like that character, but it felt entirely unnecessary and a bit indulgent to introduce yet another group of people instead of just, yknow, advancing the plot using one of the dozen characters that already existed. If the entire saga had been framed from her point of view, it might have felt less scattershot.

theres no reason to be economical with characters in literature.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

They also announced some Netflix series stuff is making its way to the game, without specifics

i hope its the nilfgaardian scrotum armor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Did I miss something because it seemed like they killed all the mages that had the knowledge on how to make a Witcher?

thats correct

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the chaos terminology will probably work pretty well with the (book spoilers) ciri in the desert using up her magic stuff

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Just read the sword of destiny short story from, well, sword of destiny and I’m gobsmacked that they didn’t include it.

To be fair I’m not sure what they could have removed but it definitely should have been in there.

they shouldve just not changed anything at all

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im also really mad about all the book changes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the books are already so good. why are they just throwing that away……tv writers are so stupid

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

threeagainstfour posted:

Wife and I just finished it, I’ve only played the games and read the short stories. I very much enjoyed this and thought it was a big step up from season 1, not that I thought season 1 was bad or anything.

The production values definitely took a big step up. The monster fight scenes mostly looked awesome and were fun to watch. I feel the actors for Geralt, Ciri, and Yennefer seemed much more natural in their roles this season. I particularly enjoyed Freya Allen’s performance as Ciri.

you should read the rest of the books. they are insanely good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vilgefartz posted:

God drat this show is bad. That being said it's impossible for me to judge it on its own merits without referencing the book...

..mainly because they literally take all the book characters, and 10% of their storylines, and then butcher the rest. I'd like this show 10x more if it were just generic fantasy garbage with a bad story instead of pieces of a great story turned into generic fantasy garbage.

its devastating lol. its unbelievable how bad everything that isnt from the books is. it almost destroys the show but the books are just that good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
theres so much horrible trash in this show but the thing that disgusts me most is the scene where the paralyzing poison activates in everyone at precisely the same moment and nobody afflicted with it collapses after having knives driven into their brains

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The way I interpreted it was that there has to be some sort of property to nightshade that allows a mage to activate it "remotely" on demand once it has been ingested. They all froze up around the same moment after all.

That would also explain why they didn't collapse after she murdered them.

thats very generous of you

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

2 episodes in, enjoying it more than season 1. As others have said, merely going to a linear storyline massively benefits the show.

The show is at its best when its a slightly scaled up Hercules/Xena Warrior Princess because Henry Cavill is so drat charismatic. When it goes for High Drama Fantasy Epic the wheels generally come off. Shame to hear thats where much of the show is going (apparently) but still the show is generally compelling.

I wish everyone didn't learn the wrong lessons from GOT. Not every show needs involved political drama, sometimes people just want to see a guy in a wig fight a cgi monster

wrong, idiot. the books are almost exclusively involved epic political fantasy drama. the show sucks because the people adapting it think theyre smarter than sapkowski. they very clearly are not

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i love these dang books so much and im massively pissed at how disrespectful this adaptation is. its like the last two seasons of game of thrones, but from the start. pathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I only played the games but I generally thought Geralt was the most boring part of them and wished they focused more on the other characters but with this I generally spend the whole time Geralt’s not on screen thinking, ‘Where’s Geralt?’ Every time he’s not on screen it feels like the show completely dives in quality. They really should have made him the viewpoint character and introduced the backstories of the other characters as they interacted with him.

thats basically how the books are written
edit: for the first couple at least