Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Unrelated but over in the sardine thread I saw that Big Bad Voodoo Lou reviewed restaurants in FL. Did they ever review your airport one?

Also, what cheeses do you like with your sardines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Unrelated but over in the sardine thread I saw that Big Bad Voodoo Lou reviewed restaurants in FL. Did they ever review your airport one?

Also, what cheeses do you like with your sardines?

No, he never did. I invited him to come out, but security constraints at the airport made it difficult.

Do not eat sardines with cheese.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Do not eat sardines with cheese.

:aaaaa::confused:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
A group of friends and I are having a small picnic at a park this weekend and I thought I'd contribute a few cheeses and nice crackers. Any suggestions on good options to bring? The high is expected to be 83, so it'll be a warm one but not scorchingly hot.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

effervescible posted:

A group of friends and I are having a small picnic at a park this weekend and I thought I'd contribute a few cheeses and nice crackers. Any suggestions on good options to bring? The high is expected to be 83, so it'll be a warm one but not scorchingly hot.

Most semi firm or hard cheeses will do pretty well outside. So things like sharp cheddars, aged gouda, manchego (6 month and over only, only because 3 month is for babies), etc. Avoid anything soft like brie, blues, or some newer goudas.

A nice crowd pleasing selection would be Manchego 6, Seaside cheddar, and something alpine, maybe Pavino or Pleasant Ridge Reserve. Get a little jar of some nice jam and some thin crispy crackers (not like ritz or saltines).

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Any chance I can ask you to do your job for free and tell me what I’m supposed to look for in blue cheese? I recently moved to London so now have access to all sorts of blue cheese, and I’m a fan, though mostly from dipping chicken wings in blue cheese dressing. Just trying to figure out what dimensions exist to even judge it on besides “smells like feet” to “REALLY smells like feet”.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Any chance I can ask you to do your job for free and tell me what I’m supposed to look for in blue cheese? I recently moved to London so now have access to all sorts of blue cheese, and I’m a fan, though mostly from dipping chicken wings in blue cheese dressing. Just trying to figure out what dimensions exist to even judge it on besides “smells like feet” to “REALLY smells like feet”.

So blues are a complicated category. The first thing to know is that the type of mold used in the cheese is a major element in what happens to the product. You've seen things called Gorgonzola or Roquefort, which are named for the mold strains used. Most blues fall into this trap where they are "blues first, cheese second", meaning that the acetone and salty flavors punch you in the face. This is why most people don't like blue cheese; they've only had dogshit blues.

These cheeses have a lot of range and diversity, in texture, flavor, and funk. Generally, the creamier the texture and the less mold pockets you see will mean a milder, sweeter cheese. Most people have had harder, sharper blues and don't like them (for good reason imo). The mold is supposed to be there; brown edges and pink slime are NOT.

An ammonia smell upon unwrapping is typical, though it should go away after like five minutes. Overripe blues may develop acetone flavors (like nail polish remover), which you should avoid because they suck. Many blues are salty and savory, but there are sweeter styles of blue, as well as those with complex notes of poo poo like black pepper, leather, peanut, chocolate etc.

Blues like to turn to poo poo rapidly once opened, so don't over purchase, and eat them within like a week or so after opening. Alot of people pair blues with sweet wine like Sauternes and Port, but that's usually because they're using trashy aged blues loaded with sharp mold aka "the type of blue cheese people hate". It's better to play up a blue's chocolate and malty flavors with brown ale or chocolate stout.

This post was longer than I intended but I got on a roll lol

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 3, 2021

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Most semi firm or hard cheeses will do pretty well outside. So things like sharp cheddars, aged gouda, manchego (6 month and over only, only because 3 month is for babies), etc. Avoid anything soft like brie, blues, or some newer goudas.

A nice crowd pleasing selection would be Manchego 6, Seaside cheddar, and something alpine, maybe Pavino or Pleasant Ridge Reserve. Get a little jar of some nice jam and some thin crispy crackers (not like ritz or saltines).

Awesome, thanks, I'll give stuff like that a try. Sounds good already.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

So blues are a complicated category. The first thing to know is that the type of mold used in the cheese is a major element in what happens to the product. You've seen things called Gloucester or Roquefort, which are named for the mold strains used. Most blues fall into this trap where they are "blues first, cheese second", meaning that the acetone and salty flavors punch you in the face. This is why most people don't like blue cheese; they've only had dogshit blues.

These cheeses have a lot of range and diversity, in texture, flavor, and funk. Generally, the creamier the texture and the less mold pockets you see will mean a milder, sweeter cheese. Most people have had harder, sharper blues and don't like them (for good reason imo). The mold is supposed to be there; brown edges and pink slime are NOT.

An ammonia smell upon unwrapping is typical, though it should go away after like five minutes. Overripe blues may develop acetone flavors (like nail polish remover), which you should avoid because they suck. Many blues are salty and savory, but there are sweeter styles of blue, as well as those with complex notes of poo poo like black pepper, leather, peanut, chocolate etc.

Blues like to turn to poo poo rapidly once opened, so don't over purchase, and eat them within like a week or so after opening. Alot of people pair blues with sweet wine like Sauternes and Port, but that's usually because they're using trashy aged blues loaded with sharp mold aka "the type of blue cheese people hate". It's better to play up a blue's chocolate and malty flavors with brown ale or chocolate stout.

This post was longer than I intended but I got on a roll lol

This loving rules. Thank you. Do you have a specific opinion on this? I just ask because you went off and this what I have in the fridge so why not?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

This loving rules. Thank you. Do you have a specific opinion on this? I just ask because you went off and this what I have in the fridge so why not?

1924 is great, yeah. I've actually been having trouble getting ahold of it lately, so enjoy it!

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I remember this thread! Last time I caught up was right before Covid, so those were the first posts I saw. It's a real shame how that played out, especially as things seemed to be going so well for you. It couldn't have been easy. Good on you for finding another career you like!

So I'm curious about a few things:

1.) So what all does a cheesemonger do? You come to work in the morning and...? Do you work in the back or mostly with customers? Do you get to pick what cheeses your store carries, or does corporate insist on certain items?

2.) What do you like so much about what you're doing now, compared to before? It seemed like you really liked being an executive chef, so I was a little surprised that you like this even more, as the two careers don't seem to have much in common? I'm sure I'm making a million assumptions, though.

3.) Kinda related to the above: anything you miss about the airport restaurant? The colleagues, the hustle-and-bustle, the TSA (:v:), the creativity? Or is there something you thought you'd miss but actually don't?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EggsAisle posted:

I remember this thread! Last time I caught up was right before Covid, so those were the first posts I saw. It's a real shame how that played out, especially as things seemed to be going so well for you. It couldn't have been easy. Good on you for finding another career you like!

So I'm curious about a few things:

1.) So what all does a cheesemonger do? You come to work in the morning and...? Do you work in the back or mostly with customers? Do you get to pick what cheeses your store carries, or does corporate insist on certain items?

In the simplest terms, I buy and sell cheese. I come into work at 6am and put away the incoming orders, set up the department, and then start my orders. I buy from multiple vendors, with varying lead times on shipments. Most stuff I can get next day, but others are preorder imports that can be up to a month and a half out; really have to focus and plan ahead. I am responsible for managing budgets and projections, and watching trends to keep up on things. For instance, there was some thing going around on TikTok a while ago involving feta cheese, so I brought in extra product anticipating a spike in sales (I was right).

I am mostly up front with people, working to merchandise the shelves, keep the cheese case organized and clean, and answer questions for customers. I have a lot of freedom to buy and stock what I want, but there are "core" items that I am required to carry (which is fine, because they are pillars of our sales).

quote:

2.) What do you like so much about what you're doing now, compared to before? It seemed like you really liked being an executive chef, so I was a little surprised that you like this even more, as the two careers don't seem to have much in common? I'm sure I'm making a million assumptions, though.

The culture and the hours. I work 6 to 2, 5 days a week. They forbid working from home, and appreciate and reward quality work. My stress levels have plummeted, and the skillset and work ethic I've developed in my previous career are causing me to blow people away here. I'm working with awesome products that are adjacent to the culinary industry, and I don't go home every night exhausted, angry, soaking wet, and defeated. Plus, I get to have dinner with my family every night.

quote:

3.) Kinda related to the above: anything you miss about the airport restaurant? The colleagues, the hustle-and-bustle, the TSA (:v:), the creativity? Or is there something you thought you'd miss but actually don't?

Not really? I miss the place itself and what we were doing there, and parts of the team I had built. I miss being in charge of a team, but I have sort of fallen into that role here anyway and am rapidly on the way up the ladder. Honestly, I would never go back.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't get the hatred for blue cheese; it's very popular and guaranteed a slot on every cheese plate over here in Norway. Some of them can be a bit intense, but if it's too much you just reach for the tomato jam with citrus zest.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I hated Bleu cheese all my life until 4 years ago, at my partner's and my first anniversary. We went to a great restaurant, ordered a charcuterie and picked veggies platter as an appetizer. Came with a funky Bleu cheese and a glop of reduced-in-wine golden grapes.

Server comes by and sees those two things are the only remaining items and was like "oh you don't like the funky cheese? Did you try it with the grape reduction glop?" So I tried it and :discourse:

I'm not at full on eat it by itself level yet, but I used to absolutely refuse to try anything even with it in it, so I'm making progress!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Trying a Valencay Laitier was a real game changer with regards to disgusting but delicious cheeses.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have a very important meeting to get to and my flight is in 20 minutes, what cheese can I use to seal the deal?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Back when I was eating cheese the best I ever had was a soft French cheese that’s I cannot remember the name of that had a above room but below body temperature melting point, that melted when you put it in your mouth.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Back when I was eating cheese the best I ever had was a soft French cheese that’s I cannot remember the name of that had a above room but below body temperature melting point, that melted when you put it in your mouth.

Was it a brie? Brillat Savarin comes to mind

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think so. It looked like a Brie but I don’t remember the name

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think so. It looked like a Brie but I don’t remember the name

?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

thotsky posted:

I don't get the hatred for blue cheese; it's very popular and guaranteed a slot on every cheese plate over here in Norway. Some of them can be a bit intense, but if it's too much you just reach for the tomato jam with citrus zest.

IMO I thinks it's like spicy or bitter stuff in that you kind of need get used to it or grow up with it. Plenty of people find what I would consider quite mild inedibly spicy.

Brillat Savarin is good stuff.

Does the more pungent stuff like Epoisse sell here at all?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Munin posted:

Does the more pungent stuff like Epoisse sell here at all?

Big time. I fly through epoisse and camambert.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I should get myself some Epoisse again...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Munin posted:

I should get myself some Epoisse again...

It's carried by grocery stores that sell "entire foods"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Big time. I fly through epoisse and camambert.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of camembert as that pungent. Then I tend to like roquefort or as my ex wife called it 'brokefoot' :shobon:

(Yes I know its not pronounced like that)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

thotsky posted:

what the hell is up with Brunost tho?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

greazeball posted:

Dude people LOVE that poo poo. I tried dropping it once and there was almost a riot

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

greazeball posted:

The people who like it eat it literally every day.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What should it be eaten with? It was at a hotel breakfast buffet when we visited Oslo, so we just like... ate some. I don't think we finished the slices we had taken.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’ve been dieting more successfully than I have in the past, but I do miss getting to enjoy cheese as much as I used to (which was, of course, too much). Do you have any suggestions for diet-friendly cheeses that work well with a boring ham and turkey sandwich? The bread takes up enough of the “budget” for the meal that I can’t add much cheese and it gets kind of lost right now - if I’m going to eat it, I’d like to taste it!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
People eat it on slices of fresh bread or crispbread for breakfast and lunch.

You can also put it on waffles together with jam and sour cream, or use some in game stews.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What do you think of Cambozola? I’ve introduced a few people to blue cheeses with it because it’s pretty mild, but I also like it for its own sake.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PT6A posted:

What do you think of Cambozola? I’ve introduced a few people to blue cheeses with it because it’s pretty mild, but I also like it for its own sake.

It's good, great intro in the world of good blues.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

So, my great-grandmother immigrated from Poland to the US as a child. When my mother was a teenager, she followed my great-grandmother through the entire process of making pierogi, and after several years came up with a written recipe that approximated my great-grandmother's pierogi. They're cheese-and-potato pierogi, and the kind of cheese required is, specifically, "two pounds of Kraft sharp cheddar, not pre-shredded".

I am assuming there are kinds of sharp cheddar cheese that are better than Kraft! If I were to go to a grocery store that sells entire foods, and go to the cheese department, what would I be looking for?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

zonohedron posted:

So, my great-grandmother immigrated from Poland to the US as a child. When my mother was a teenager, she followed my great-grandmother through the entire process of making pierogi, and after several years came up with a written recipe that approximated my great-grandmother's pierogi. They're cheese-and-potato pierogi, and the kind of cheese required is, specifically, "two pounds of Kraft sharp cheddar, not pre-shredded".

I am assuming there are kinds of sharp cheddar cheese that are better than Kraft! If I were to go to a grocery store that sells entire foods, and go to the cheese department, what would I be looking for?

For something like that, a really nice cheddar would be wasted. Go for Tillamook extra sharp, it's available in bars and is very good.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Smdh at not following great-grandma's instructions

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Crazycryodude posted:

Smdh at not following great-grandma's instructions

That’s how you get haunted!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

One of the saddest things is following the family recipe which calls for a specific brand of soft cheese and it suddenly stops working after the brand changes their cream cheese to make it "healthier".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I've found that "old family recipes" are often whatever was printed on some box decades ago, and that specific products being required are usually because that was all they had available to them at the time. Try new poo poo, experiment, make it better.