Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Would you ever make your own cheese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

Would you ever make your own cheese?

As a former chef, I have! It's been mostly limited to small scale fresh cheeses like ricotta and mozzarella, as larger format cheeses require a LOT of loving milk, time, and consistency in environment.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Fresh cheeses are often pretty straightforward to make. Those pierogis a couple posts up would more traditionally be made with quark (ferment milk, acid set, no aging)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Blue Moonlight posted:

That’s how you get haunted!

Curd-sed by grandma

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So is tillamook by and large considered to be of decent quality? I’ve had some of their stuff in the past that was pretty good but I’ve no idea the general perception of the brand.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm likely very biased as Tillamook is in Oregon but I think it's a solid quality cheese. Their ice cream is pretty good too IMO.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Tillamook is in my opinion the best generally available commodity cheddar.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
To make really really good cheese you need access to unpasteurized nonhomogenized milk, which is not legal for mere mortals. Making paneer and cottage cheese can be fun, but going down the road of adding calcium chloride and lab cultures to store-bought milk to get a passable result seems like such a dead end.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Their ice cream is pretty solid IMO. And that’s just cold wet cheese when you get down to it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That's good to hear. Living in Oregon, Tillamook is very much the standard option, and I've never been entirely sure how it actually compared to the competition.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
How does one develop a palate for cheese? Also, holy poo poo, glad to see you're doing well.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm no cheese expert but I'm pretty sure you just need to start eating a ton of cheese. I know I started appreciating buffalo mozzarella more when I had it side by side with cow milk mozzarella. Same goes for eating a bunch of different cheddars or goat cheeses

Cheese

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Xun posted:

I'm pretty sure you just need to start eating a ton of cheese.

I find that this is generally good life advice anyway.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've found that "old family recipes" are often whatever was printed on some box decades ago, and that specific products being required are usually because that was all they had available to them at the time. Try new poo poo, experiment, make it better.

Confirmed. My family made a cookbook and it had 4 variations of sloppy joes.

Poise
Jul 28, 2006
Is it true that most hard cheeses (eg parmesan) are by their nature lactose free?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Poise posted:

Is it true that most hard cheeses (eg parmesan) are by their nature lactose free?

Low lactose but not lactose free.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

nm posted:

Low lactose but not lactose free.

This yeah. The aging process breaks lactose down into lactic acid (which is why aged cheeses are "sharper" aka more tangy and sour). Anything aged over 2 years is functionally lactose free, to the point it won't bother most people with an intolerance.

Science stuff: lactose is a milk sugar that some people have trouble digesting due to a deficiency of an enzyme in their stomach called lactase. The lactose passes into the colon, where the resident bacteria eat it. This causes the lactose to ferment and produce gas, which causes bloating and extreme discomfort.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

This yeah. The aging process breaks lactose down into lactic acid (which is why aged cheeses are "sharper" aka more tangy and sour). Anything aged over 2 years is functionally lactose free, to the point it won't bother most people with an intolerance.

Science stuff: lactose is a milk sugar that some people have trouble digesting due to a deficiency of an enzyme in their stomach called lactase. The lactose passes into the colon, where the resident bacteria eat it. This causes the lactose to ferment and produce gas, which causes bloating and extreme discomfort.

Etymology stuff: Lactose is a dimer (two smaller molecules joined together into one molecule) of two sugar molecules, glucose and galactose. Lactose and galactose both get their names from the Greek word for milk, "gala," together with the suffix for sugars. The ancient Greeks also named the Milky Way after milk, "galaxias," which is where we get the word "galaxy." I don't know about you, but I find it amusing that the word for something so wondrous and cosmic and the word for something that gives people painful farts are so closely related.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Etymology stuff: Galactose is a Marvel villain.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I went about 25 years before figuring out I was intolerant.

For years I would randomly have severe heartburn and vomiting. A couple of years ago I bought an espresso maker. I was having a latte in the morning. Coffee with milk at work, and coffee with milk on ships.

My stomach started to get swollen and distended. I was vomiting all the time. Diarrhea with gas 4-5 times a day. I’d get blood pressure spikes and extreme lethargy just passing out for a couple hours. I thought I had cancer and was dying. Scans and a colonoscopy later (yay not cancer) we still didn’t have a reason why. So we started an elimination diet and identified the milk. Eventually that meant nothing processed and most restaurants being non viable.

Longed aged Parmesan is about all I can tolerate without a reaction. Cheddars even at the year plus mark still give me issues. Lactaid milk works fine. Cheese with pills no go. I’ve had some luck using ground up pills and lactaid milk added during cooking to make things like palak paneer.

At some point in the future I’d like to start making cheese from lactose free milk, I used to home brew and do fermented vegetables regularly.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I've found that "old family recipes" are often whatever was printed on some box decades ago, and that specific products being required are usually because that was all they had available to them at the time. Try new poo poo, experiment, make it better.

Probably true. Mighty old box by this point.

it is still funny though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Karia posted:

Curd-sed by grandma
Holy poo poo, an original cheese pun. Nice one!

Edit: gently caress didn't realize that post was a week old. My bad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

As a crumpet muncher in Michigan I used to seek out Black Diamond from Canada. It is actually cheddared, ie crumbly, which I kind of value in a cheddar; one can trust the Dominions to get it right. Not sure how well this works in like Alabama tho.

And yeah Tillamook is fine if you just need something cheddarish and everywhere.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 9, 2021

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

As a crumpet muncher in Michigan I used to seek out Black Diamond from Canada. It is actually cheddared, ie crumbly, which I kind of value in a cheddar; one can trust the Dominions to get it right. Not sure how well this works in like Alabama tho.

And yeah Tillamook is fine if you just need something cheddarish and everywhere.

Tillamook is *worse* than Black Diamond? Wow.

edit: vvv Ok good. Because people saying nice things about a cheese that I only buy if it's on sale for less than $4/500g brick makes me sad.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 9, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naelyan posted:

Tillamook is *worse* than Black Diamond? Wow.

It isn't, at all.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Actually dumb question about cheddar. I really like kinda...sour cheeses? Like how fresh goat cheese is kinda sour. I used to think some cheddars had this type of flavor when I lived in the US but I haven't run into any cheddars in Europe that share that flavor. Is that a trait typical to some American cheddars or do I just like bad cheddar?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Holy poo poo, an original cheese pun. Nice one!

Edit: gently caress didn't realize that post was a week old. My bad.

but the cheese jokes should be aged to bring out their flavor

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Xun posted:

Actually dumb question about cheddar. I really like kinda...sour cheeses? Like how fresh goat cheese is kinda sour. I used to think some cheddars had this type of flavor when I lived in the US but I haven't run into any cheddars in Europe that share that flavor. Is that a trait typical to some American cheddars or do I just like bad cheddar?

Cheddar gets more sour as it ages, since the lactose has more time to break down into lactic acid, which changes the pH of the cheese. Look for something with higher age if you want that tangy quality.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Cheddar gets more sour as it ages, since the lactose has more time to break down into lactic acid, which changes the pH of the cheese. Look for something with higher age if you want that tangy quality.

Huh, if anything the british style cheddars I've hed seem to get more bitter than sour as they age. Time to eat more cheddars I guess :v:

I always end up buying a pile of goat cheese instead

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Xun posted:

I always end up buying a pile of goat cheese instead

Not seeing the problem

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Goat cheese is delicious

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Is there a better way to get Parmesan rinds than buying then pre-wrapped from a local grocery store? I was surprised at the cost of doing so, but on my honeymoon my wife and I had a dish of baby bamboo shoots cooked in Parmesan stock, and we’d love to recreate it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Schiavona posted:

Is there a better way to get Parmesan rinds than buying then pre-wrapped from a local grocery store? I was surprised at the cost of doing so, but on my honeymoon my wife and I had a dish of baby bamboo shoots cooked in Parmesan stock, and we’d love to recreate it.

Stores that crack their own parmesan wheels (such as my chain) sell the rinds as well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There's a massive, complex supply chain regulation coming down the pike in the US, and it covers (among other things) the following products:

quote:

Cheeses, other than hard cheeses
Includes all cheeses made with either pasteurized or unpasteurized milk, other than hard cheeses. Includes soft ripened/semi-soft cheeses (e.g., brie, camembert, feta, mozzarella, taleggio, blue, brick, fontina, monterey jack, and muenster) and soft unripened/fresh soft cheeses (e.g., cottage, chevre/goat, cream, mascarpone, ricotta, queso blanco, queso fresco, queso de crema, and queso de puna).

How comprehensive and precise is this definition? What sort of cheeses might fall between the cracks?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 22, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a massive, complex supply chain regulation coming down the pike in the US, and it covers (among other things) the following products:

How is that going to affect salvage.

By this I mean poo poo happens in transit. Some things get frozen that shouldn’t be. Some times reefer rail cars get turned off for a week.

Part of the ability to salvage after events like this is to detach branding from the product (which is safe but quality reduced). If you have full traceability you can’t then sell the accidentally frozen cheese to be turned into a spread because traceability keeps it attached to the branding.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

How comprehensive and precise is this definition? What sort of cheeses might fall between the cracks?

"All cheeses made with milk" is pretty fuckin comprehensive

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

How is that going to affect salvage.

By this I mean poo poo happens in transit. Some things get frozen that shouldn’t be. Some times reefer rail cars get turned off for a week.

Part of the ability to salvage after events like this is to detach branding from the product (which is safe but quality reduced). If you have full traceability you can’t then sell the accidentally frozen cheese to be turned into a spread because traceability keeps it attached to the branding.

I'd need to know more about what you mean by "attached to the branding"; the traceability reg requires that it be in the records of the company down the supply line in certain ways (this gets very complicated), but you don't have to keep it on product labeling.

"All cheeses made with milk" is pretty fuckin comprehensive

It's all cheeses made with milk "other than hard cheeses", which raises a bunch of questions for me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd need to know more about what you mean by "attached to the branding"; the traceability reg requires that it be in the records of the company down the supply line in certain ways (this gets very complicated), but you don't have to keep it on product labeling.

It's all cheeses made with milk "other than hard cheeses", which raises a bunch of questions for me.

It isn't a vague classification. Hard cheese has moisture content of less than 50% due to aging, that's it. Parmigiano, aged gruyere, comte, and pecorino Romano are hard cheeses.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Right you could strip the label and reprocess but that would be documented event. So product X gets accidentally frozen. Freezing impacts the products quality and the texture but not food safety. So they won’t sell it as product X because product X is an award winning major brand.

They decide to salvage and eventually find a reprocessor that specializes in this. The cheese is stripped of packaging re-sold and turned into a grocery store deli spread. As part of the contract it is specified that there can be no evidence to link between the original product and the deli spread.

Now there would be a record of what the cheese was and then a record of what it was turned into. This would seem to me to be a event that would have to be traced

Let’s say that grocery store fails to refrigerate their spread and it’s got mayo in it and there is a food poisoning event.

Product X didn’t cause the event, but now a public record shows that product was an ingredient and its brand will appear in coverage about the food poisoning event.

I think that’s going to prevent this type of salvage of branded foods.

All that said lol re fish, this absolutely needs to happen for fish don’t get me started because I cannot be specific anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It isn't a vague classification. Hard cheese has moisture content of less than 50% due to aging, that's it. Parmigiano, aged gruyere, comte, and pecorino Romano are hard cheeses.

Okay, great, that's helpful. Some of the other definitions from the list are nowhere near as precise (and the 50% part doesn't appear anywhere in the cited regs, iirc). The definition you trivially know is probably going to be the basis of multi-million dollar litigation!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Right you could strip the label and reprocess but that would be documented event. So product X gets accidentally frozen. Freezing impacts the products quality and the texture but not food safety. So they won’t sell it as product X because product X is an award winning major brand.

They decide to salvage and eventually find a reprocessor that specializes in this. The cheese is stripped of packaging re-sold and turned into a grocery store deli spread. As part of the contract it is specified that there can be no evidence to link between the original product and the deli spread.

Now there would be a record of what the cheese was and then a record of what it was turned into. This would seem to me to be a event that would have to be traced

Let’s say that grocery store fails to refrigerate their spread and it’s got mayo in it and there is a food poisoning event.

Product X didn’t cause the event, but now a public record shows that product was an ingredient and its brand will appear in coverage about the food poisoning event.

I think that’s going to prevent this type of salvage of branded foods.

All that said lol re fish, this absolutely needs to happen for fish don’t get me started because I cannot be specific anyway.

I can definitely see it having an effect on the salvage industry, but it's not quite like this. The sourcing won't be a public record; it'd be disclosed to the government during investigation but they'd only disclose the root sourcing if the investigation traced back past the salvage in identifying the source.