Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

lofi posted:

Sure, and Dr. Frankenstein had no responsibility for what he made.

Isnt the Frankenstein book the source of the uncanny valley concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/mike_blacklist/status/1208139131391332352

i think the only other time in my memory (lol) that something like this has happened is when that dog movie for children accidentally told kids that being groped is something you should just buckle down and ignore, but that was terrible content, this is just like, a Life of Pablo-esque movie update being sent to theaters because the effects weren't actually done when they needed to be (which, to clarify, is not the fault of the visual effects people who should be paid some sort of bonus for hardships endured for having to craft these monsters)

I read a review that said there was a really obvious rendering error at one point, has anyone posted an image of what is getting fixed?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Everyone should want this to succeed so we get an big screen, actors-CGI'd-into-trains, version of Starlight Express.

Zachack posted:

I read a review that said there was a really obvious rendering error at one point, has anyone posted an image of what is getting fixed?

Someone had mentioned at one point it was obvious they had forgotten to CGI Dench's hand, so it was human, with a wedding ring.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Uncle Wemus posted:

Isnt the Frankenstein book the source of the uncanny valley concept

No, "uncanny valley" is an incredibly specific and theoretical robotics concept invented in the 1970s that lost all meaning through over- and misuse over the past decade and is now just internet shorthand for "I don't like how a thing looks".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sleeveless posted:

No, "uncanny valley" is an incredibly specific and theoretical robotics concept invented in the 1970s that lost all meaning through over- and misuse over the past decade and is now just internet shorthand for "I don't like how a thing looks".

Explained here (from 4:45 to 5:12)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRYJwkk6BIM&t=285s

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Davros1 posted:

Everyone should want this to succeed so we get an big screen, actors-CGI'd-into-trains, version of Starlight Express.

gently caress that noise, let this oscar-winning director flounder in his hubris and let the theatres be empty

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
CATS standee in theater today, foot treads on crumpled stomach. This theater is afraid of me, I have seen it's true face. The aisles are extended gutters and the gutters are full of soda and when the drains finally glue shut, all the cats will drown. The accumulated filth of all their yiffing and songs will soak into their fursuits and all the furries and theater nerds will look up at me and say "Stop the projector" and I'll whisper "No..."

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Aces High posted:

gently caress that noise, let this oscar-winning director flounder in his hubris and let the theatres be empty

If you think Cats is weird and horny, Starlight Express is insane, horny as hell, and is about anime train romance done entirely on rollerskates while flipping off the existence of God.

https://twitter.com/CozyJamble/status/1207871249348620290

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Every time Cats comes up I have to talk about starlight express, I think anybody who is familiar with it just has this compulsion to let people know that it exists and it's so loving weird. And bad!! Cats has a couple OK songs, starlight express has literally zero. It is just phenomenally awful.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Pick posted:

Every time Cats comes up I have to talk about starlight express, I think anybody who is familiar with it just has this compulsion to let people know that it exists and it's so loving weird. And bad!! Cats has a couple OK songs, starlight express has literally zero. It is just phenomenally awful.

I’m listening to whichever revision of Starlight Express is on Apple Music and actually it’s got a few bangers. He Whistled At Me and Whole Lotta Locomotion have stood out so far. It’s bizarre beyond belief but some good tunes.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm just calling it now: In time, Cats will be known as this generation's Rockey Horror Picture Show.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm just calling it now: In time, Cats will be known as this generation's Rockey Horror Picture Show.

No. It’ll be our The Apple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlBnxVIAQ20

Robotnik Nudes fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 21, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I’m listening to whichever revision of Starlight Express is on Apple Music and actually it’s got a few bangers. He Whistled At Me and Whole Lotta Locomotion have stood out so far. It’s bizarre beyond belief but some good tunes.

I'm sorry, now I diagnose you with musical brain. Incurable.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like the song where they sing about the Starlight Express

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Pick posted:

I'm sorry, now I diagnose you with musical brain. Incurable.

I admit to being former theater trash. Luckily I got out but much like growing up Catholic, it lingers.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

angerbeet posted:

If you think Cats is weird and horny, Starlight Express is insane, horny as hell, and is about anime train romance done entirely on rollerskates while flipping off the existence of God.

oh I'm well aware of ALW's works, though I am going to admit right now that as an asexual person I do not understand what people are talking about when they refer to things as "horny"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Starlight Express at least has the decency to seriously main its cast members, if only Cats were similarly punitive.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm legitimately dreading the way that people are already trying to canonize this as some great bad movie, like this is going to be the movie version of SantaCon where a bunch of assholes do conformity for noncomformists and just hugely annoy everyone else in the process.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Coming 2024 from Joel Shoemaker: Love Never Dies the Movie

If you don’t know what Love Never Dies is them I envy you.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Aces High posted:

oh I'm well aware of ALW's works, though I am going to admit right now that as an asexual person I do not understand what people are talking about when they refer to things as "horny"

Seriously? I am too, but I can see when people are dry-humping on stage!

Cats: now you know how asexuals feel.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think I used the wrong word, I think it's just that I don't "get" it, especially since it seems to be a word that I see thrown around over lots of things, movies, music, art, books and most of the time my reaction is "what are you talking about?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Musicals are like longform live action music videos apparently.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
SKIM
BLE
SHANKS
THE
RAIL
WAY
CAT

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Coming 2024 from Joel Shoemaker: Love Never Dies the Movie

If you don’t know what Love Never Dies is them I envy you.

Love Never Dies is more unnecessary than the Disney live action remakes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I want a film adaptation of Cats as interpreted in that one episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, where there is no Cats play but rather a bunch of people who decided one day to dress up as cats and spout a bunch of gibberish on stage, and then kept up the facade when people started paying them for some reason.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

just another posted:

SKIM
BLE
SHANKS
THE
RAIL
WAY
CAT

N
WORD
MAN
THE
LOVE
CRAFT
CAT

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Mods, how do I change the thread title to CATS: This Is The Death of All Things. gently caress It?

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 21, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As much as I want to watch Cats I do hope its not so successful as to encourage making a film adaptation of Love Never Dies: The Phantom of The Opera 2

Friends Are Evil posted:

Mods, how do I change the thread title to CATS: This Is The Death of All Things. gently caress It?

Message your friendly, neighborhood mod

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Robotnik Nudes posted:

N
WORD
MAN
THE
LOVE
CRAFT
CAT

Cats! is a lot of things. It's not that. :colbert:

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

just another posted:

Cats! is a lot of things. It's not that. :colbert:

Cats has a whole racist number which has been removed from the film.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

no jellicle cat is more pure /
or light /
than the feline whose fur is uncommonly /
white

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Final verdict: Skimbleshanks fucks.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

If I had a time machine I would definitely force TS Eliot to watch this movie

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I felt the exact same way watching this movie as I did when I saw Hereditary. You’re just watching everything unravel in front of you in slow-motion and you’re powerless to prevent an insidiously constructed inevitability.

(Which is... Cats?”

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

December is the cruelest month

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/billboard/status/1208444116071321601?s=21

Yeah baby

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Easily the least interesting parts in Cats are where Tom Hooper concedes to the style that won him critical acclaim with Les Miserables and holds a steady close-up of an impassioned face singing a showstopper. Where he's persuaded away from it, we get Rebel Wilson tearing the head off a cockroach with a human face, Jason Derulo showering himself with milk as a rake of female cats watch in awe, and a succession of cats improbably wearing human clothing seemingly only for fetishistic effect - an even more convincing case for Tom Hooper being prevented from filming close-ups than anything in Les Mis. Macavity, the cat devil, is introduced with a Batman-like sudden disappearance once he's off-camera - but the next time he appears he really can teleport and does it constantly for the rest of the film

The film absolutely attempts to see any suggestion that there's a sexual undertone off at the pass. Over the first thirty minutes, cats present their groins, arch their thighs, tangle round each other almost deliberately so that there's as much contact with their Barbie-doll groins and chests. Rebel Wilson bends her tail forward between her legs. Cats wear fursuits, gorge themselves on food and dive into trash cans to rub themselves in waste. Rebel Wilson's cat directly references neutering and makes a chop-chop motion with her fingers. As mentioned, Jason Derulo covers himself in milk. The cats swallow other, smaller humanoids with aplomb. Jason Derulo almost stuffs his mouth with a furry cat foot. By the time three cats are writhing on a bed together covered in feathers you're absolutely numb to it, and the film proceeds to get into the plot - and even the plot involves all the cats getting high, having a PG-rated orgy, then lying about groaning for a good minute. Idris Elba's character is fully dressed for the majority of the film, just so that when he appears sans garments in the climax, you can't escape any suggestion that Idris Elba is nude now.

As critics have mentioned, the film makes minimal effort to explain who anyone is or what they're doing. They're cats, they're having some kind of event, most of them are going to sing one song, the word Jellicle is involved, get with the program. The cats sing an entire song about the importance of the protagonists' "real" cat name, but we never find it out. One member of the main cast is never properly introduced and doesn't have a song. At one point I thought he was singing about himself but he turned out to be singing about a cat dressed as a male stripper.

Perhaps to provide cover for some less prioritised effects shots, the camera often appears as if in the hand of a drunkard, dipping and rolling with the music in a way that almost induces illness, especially combined with how, over the course of the film, the scope of the visuals slowly narrows and a set of basic images recurs: The theatre door, the bolted milk-parlour, Grizella in the street, the graveyard entrance, Old Deuteronomy beckons, repeat. One of the most striking visuals, a stairway to heaven summoned by Macavity when he seeks to force Old Deuteronomy to grant him a second life, does not reappear at the denouement. Instead, Grizella is loaded into a balloon and floated off into the sky.

The protagonist sings of dancing with ghosts; Grizella is "saved" by being fired into the sky and forgotten. The cats kidnapped by Macavity throw Ray Winstone into the Thames to drown, and cheer. Taylor Swift's cat dies on the way back to her home planet. It's hard not to come to the conclusion that the film is telling us that the cats are in hell, or at least in purgatory. There is a cat devil, but no cat god.

Let me be clear: the film is an absolute triumph. It's utterly bizarre, obeys only its own logic, and I would have eagerly watched another hour of it. Go and see this film.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 21, 2019

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Yikes

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to see anything as much as I want to see this now

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

josh04 posted:

The protagonist sings of dancing with ghosts; Grizella is "saved" by being fired into the sky and forgotten. The cats kidnapped by Macavity throw Ray Winstone into the Thames to drown, and cheer. Taylor Swift's cat dies on the way back to her home planet. It's hard not to come to the conclusion that the film is telling us that the cats are in hell, or at least in purgatory. There is a cat devil, but no cat god.

Let me be clear: the film is an absolute triumph. It's utterly bizarre, obeys only its own logic, and I would have eagerly watched another hour of it. Go and see this film.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the thought that CATS is set in Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just went to see it and you HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE