Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I appreciate Zardoz on its own merits.

Cats 2019 is a film I can only appreciate for actually getting me to check out the 98 stage film and realize that hey, I like Cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cats got its original lolwatches on being a visual disaster, but I think it being an audio disaster as well (that most of the audience was too drunk to notice the first time) probably makes it a one-and-done. It's basically a Dragon Ball: Evolution of musicals.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Zardoz has its flaws but there’s vision behind it. Cats is the product of people who had no idea of what the Hell they wanted to do.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
People always talk like zardoz is weirder than it really is. It's got a pretty straightforward plot that would fit in an extended star trek episode, it just happens to costume everyone really silly and have a lot of weird props. So people try and juice it up as being SO STRANGE.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's too bad cause I think a few of the actors had star potential, or are at least people I'd like to see more of. Munkustrap looks a lot like Hugh Jackman, could be a potential new Wolverine for Marvel, and Rumpleteaser's actress has a very interesting face, it was fun to animate her expressions.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People always talk like zardoz is weirder than it really is. It's got a pretty straightforward plot that would fit in an extended star trek episode, it just happens to costume everyone really silly and have a lot of weird props. So people try and juice it up as being SO STRANGE.

Zardoz is basically an adaptation of a postapocalyptic sci-fi novel that doesn't exist. It's got a lot of the hallmarks of the pulpier kind of adventure novel of the day- the barbarian vs civilization dynamic, weird sexuality, and an actual intellectual conceit and world building that's not half bad. It's like the books satirized in Gentleman Broncos.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Zardoz has its flaws but there’s vision behind it. Cats is the product of people who had no idea of what the Hell they wanted to do.

Tom Hooper wanted live singing on set and no mocap suits and by god he got both!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Zardoz is basically an adaptation of a postapocalyptic sci-fi novel that doesn't exist. It's got a lot of the hallmarks of the pulpier kind of adventure novel of the day- the barbarian vs civilization dynamic, weird sexuality, and an actual intellectual conceit and world building that's not half bad. It's like the books satirized in Gentleman Broncos.

Not the most uncommon thing with sci-fi, where movies can be based on more of a zeitgeist than a particular work, or an amalgamation of a few scripts and ideas. Hell, look at Star Wars.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not the most uncommon thing with sci-fi, where movies can be based on more of a zeitgeist than a particular work, or an amalgamation of a few scripts and ideas. Hell, look at Star Wars.

Honestly I think that is why zardoz sticks out so much. It's really a broad scifi movie that has a small number of weirdly specific choices.

Like the whole thing is basically an episode of TOS, but like, they also have a weird head, it says penis, the guy wears a funny costume and then they turn into skeletons in the end. If you edited and shot it a little bit different it'd be a very standard sci-fi story.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cats got its original lolwatches on being a visual disaster, but I think it being an audio disaster as well (that most of the audience was too drunk to notice the first time) probably makes it a one-and-done. It's basically a Dragon Ball: Evolution of musicals.

not too related but has there ever been a post mortem of dragonball evolution and why any of the decisions made for it were done? It’s just so fascinatingly awful on all levels, I wish I understood just how it got there.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xibanya posted:

not too related but has there ever been a post mortem of dragonball evolution and why any of the decisions made for it were done? It’s just so fascinatingly awful on all levels, I wish I understood just how it got there.

“ In 2016, writer Ben Ramsey apologized for the film, writing: "To have something with my name on it as the writer be so globally reviled is gut-wrenching. To receive hate mail from all over the world is heartbreaking. [...] I went into the project chasing after a big payday, not as a fan of the franchise but as a businessman taking on an assignment. I have learned that when you go into a creative endeavor without passion you come out with sub-optimal results, and sometimes flat out garbage. So I'm not blaming anyone for Dragonball [Evolution] but myself."”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like anime movies are where comic movies were in the 90s, where by default they were unfaithful and generally bad. Then there was a few that were sort of okay if you have them some benefit of the doubt then over time they got good then the dominant form of movies.

Like I predict someday in like ten years anime movies will be the thing and people will look back at stuff like ghost in the shell as something like blade.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ghost in the Shell is Steel, at best. Anime is still waiting for its Blade

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Definitely more like video game movies, complete with being unfaithful and bad because Hollywood execs are apparently incapable of comprehending the source material as media at all, let alone having any respect for it.

There was a What Happened? video about Dragon Ball Evolution, which seems a story remarkably similar to the Super Mario Bros movie, complete with a tug-of-war over the script for how faithful it was going to be. a rapidly draining budget and a director who seemed to have their own unrelated idea in mind they wanted to twist the film into no matter the cost.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Super Mario Brothers movie was good though

Also we already have a really really good anime adaptation to film, it's Speed Racer. More adaptations should aspire to be even a third as great as Speed Racer was.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like anime movies are where comic movies were in the 90s, where by default they were unfaithful and generally bad. Then there was a few that were sort of okay if you have them some benefit of the doubt then over time they got good then the dominant form of movies.

Like I predict someday in like ten years anime movies will be the thing and people will look back at stuff like ghost in the shell as something like blade.

As opposed to the many excellent comic book movies of today?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

and people will look back at stuff like ghost in the shell as something like blade.

Cool and good?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There's plenty of good live action adaptations of anime, they're just all Asian.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Blade is better than most modern comic book movies

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

AdmiralViscen posted:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Twitch posted:

There's plenty of good live action adaptations of anime, they're just all Asian.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

As opposed to the many excellent comic book movies of today?

sure, comic book movies are now well liked and successful and come out appealing to multiple audiences. You specifically could be too good for them, but it's not like it was a few decades ago where they were unpopular niche movies with very few well liked breakouts (that were mostly batman or superman)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Blade 2 is the rare sequel better in every way than the original.

Blade 3 is the complete opposite.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

sure, comic book movies are now well liked and successful and come out appealing to multiple audiences. You specifically could be too good for them, but it's not like it was a few decades ago where they were unpopular niche movies with very few well liked breakouts (that were mostly batman or superman)

Oh, blade definitely made less money than modern comic book movies, yea

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Twitch posted:

The recent Anjinn movie was pretty drat good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's more that you had to have a huge name and actively fight the studio for a comic book movie to make it to the big screen in any remotely faithful and good fashion. And in many respects you still do.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FirstAidKite posted:

Also we already have a really really good anime adaptation to film, it's Speed Racer. More adaptations should aspire to be even a third as great as Speed Racer was.

What the gently caress

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fuschia tude posted:

What the gently caress

Speed Racer is loving amazing, and pretty much the best adaptation of the source material you could hope for.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

What the gently caress

Have you never seen it? I highly recommend it. Especially the blu-ray version. Just never play the "drink every time there's a screenwipe" game or you will die.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Speed Racer is fantastic and one of the biggest crimes the Wachowski sisters ever committed was filming it in digital 1080p so we will never see it in HDR.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pirate Jet posted:

...filming it in digital 1080p so we will never see it in HDR.

Ooof. That’s a rookie move and you hate to see it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MrYenko posted:

Ooof. That’s a rookie move and you hate to see it.

I think it was that they were shooting all in digital with 'quick' turnaround for effects shots, but it was 2006 when they were filming so shooting on digital with quick turn around meant filming in "HD" directly so they could put it right into the editing software without scanning film. Instead of it being like now where you film and edit in ultra high resolution or composite in camera live.

Like they never could have made the movie like they did if they didn't film the way they did.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FirstAidKite posted:

Have you never seen it?

unfortunately I have

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I will not tolerate Speed Racer (2008) slander on these forums

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Speed Racer is a goddamn masterpiece.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

speed racer is good anime adaptation in that it's bad just like anime is bad

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Necrothatcher posted:

Speed Racer is a goddamn masterpiece.

As is Zardoz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

As is Zardoz

I know I started the original Zardoz derail, but it's a regressive, silly mess that is overlong and boring for long stretches and the only thing it has going for it is its sheer insane ambition and ineptitude and datedness which are wonderful but really can't save the whole.

Speed Racer is a goddamn masterpiece. I saw it at the Cinesphere in Toronto and it was a joy from start to finish.