Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

No, the record for longest wait between Doctor Who episodes from 2005 onward will NOT be broken (only tied), as Doctor Who is back! The long-running show returns exactly one year after the previous episode aired, although while the previous was a holiday special, the next episode is not. This marks the first time since 1977 an episode has aired on New Year's Day and is NOT a special (which isn't saying much, admittedly).

What will happen this series? Well former potential scriptwriter Stephen Fry and former Doctor Lenny Henry will both be making special appearances, alongside several other people not as famous to me. This includes the woman who played Rani, but not THE Rani. Other than that, we've got a few famous foes returning, which is nice! We have slightly more information about the series ahead of time than last series, when we had pretty much nothing. We're still in the dark about plots for every episode, though. Hopefully, there won't be a situation where a heavy subject matter episode has a next time trailer that's wacky!

The series runs weekly after a debut on New Year's Day from 5 January to 1 March:

1-2) Spyfall
3) Orphan 55
4) Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror
5) Fugitive of the Judoon
6) Praxeus
7) Can You Hear Me?
8) The Haunting of Villa Diodati
9) Ascension of the Cybermen
10) The Timeless Children

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS gently caress it, I don't know what we do about spoilers now
We have a designated spoiler thread, but under Chibnall the amount of spoilers have dried like the lake in that one episode. Use your best judgement. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

WHERE DO I START?
The previous series is a good place to start, beginning with The Woman Who Fell to Earth. This is not to discount Doctors 9-12, but so far their stories have not made a major point in the tenure of Whittaker's Doctor. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
If you're an American, you're in luck! You can watch the original run of Doctor Who both on TV (Retro TV and some PBS stations) and online (via Pluto TV and BritBox*)! The United Kingdom and Canada get BritBox, too. If you're Australian, I'm sorry but you'll have to buy or rent the episodes on DVD/Blu-ray.

For the current run:

ON TELEVISION
UK - BBC One (first run), W
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - CTV Sci-Fi Channel
Australia - ABC (first run), ABC ME, Syfy

STREAMING
UK - BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Sky Go
USA - Prime Video (moving to HBO Max in May, probably)
Canada - Crave
Australia - Stan, Prime Video

*Day of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks are not available, along with almost every serial missing at least one episode.

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYs?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE NOT-AT-ALL BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are literally thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people like Minuet in Hell, believe it or not). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

The Monthly Range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 259th(!) release this month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

The Seventh Doctor: The New Adventures
Hey, remember the Virgin New Adventures? These take place during those! No, I don't know how to find cheap copies of those books.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition / The Eighth Doctor - The Time War / Ravenous
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
David Tennant reprises his role in mini-seasons every chance he can get, and the results are very RTD-like. In a good way!

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: SOME OF THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles originally were one-handers, but now may contain small casts, which the Early Adventure always have.

The Ones with Fake Doctors
The First Doctor Adventures, the Third Doctor Adventures, and the Ninth/Tenth/Eleventh/Twelveth Doctor Chronicles feature people who are not the original actors playing the roles of the title Doctor. If you're OK with that, by all means give them a try.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago! Let's see here, what Doctor Who episode aired this time ten years ago?

Fon posted:

This is literally the worst thing I have ever seen so far.

Ever.

Oh.

eclipse posted:

This is completely ridiculous. I guess a dignified ending to the series is out of the question.

Oh dear.

The_Doctor posted:

This is really poo poo.

Oh dear.

James R posted:

Oh, my good God.

Seriously?

Oh dear.

Noxville posted:

Pretty sure that whole episode was built around RTD thinking up that 'Master race' line.

:yikes:

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hated it at the time, but I think I kinda love “insane and unhinged, smearing burger wrappers on his face” SimmMaster now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yuck, that was a terrible scene. He ate the way my ex girlfriends father did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, you’ve redecorated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVyVtL0rJGg

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

"Have you ever thought what it's like to be wanderers in the Fourth Dimension? Have you?"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The quotes at the end of the OP are... so weird to me. I dunno, I really enjoyed The End of Time as a big, fun finale. The Master's scheme and the way it played out was stupid and silly, but I thought that was more to its benefit than anything else.

If anything, I liked Part 1 more than Part 2. I'm not entirely sure I understood how Rassilon's plan to break free from the time bubble worked, especially with the part where he threw a gem at a hologram... and it somehow got out of the bubble and suddenly it was crash landing on Earth? The stuff with the drums inside the Master's head was kinda weird with its circular logic as well, but at least that part made sense in a predetermined time travel-y way.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 20, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising: An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

Television
8th Doctor - TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
War Doctor - The Day of the Doctor
9th Doctor - Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways
10th Doctor - The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday | The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Blink | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash | Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End | The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time
11th Doctor - The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol | The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe | Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor
12th Doctor - Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas | The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song |The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen | Extremis | The Pyramid at the End of the World | The Lie of the Land | Empress of Mars | The Eaters of Light | World Enough and Time | The Doctor Falls | Twice Upon A Time
13th Doctor - The Woman Who Fell to Earth | The Ghost Monument | Rosa | Arachnids in the UK | The Tsuranga Conundrum | Demons of the Punjab | Kerblam! | The Witchfinders | It Takes You Away | The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos | Resolution | Spyfall Part 1/Part 2 | Orphan 55

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Audios
4th Doctor Adventures - Season One
5th Doctor - Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool | Castle of Fear | The Eternal Summer | Plague of the Daleks
6th Doctor - Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts | Blue Forgotten Planet
7th Doctor - The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari | A Thousand Tiny Wings
8th Doctor - Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends
8th Doctor Adventures Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources | Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius | Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web | Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death | Dark Eyes 1
The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War
10th Doctor Adventures - Volume 1 | Volume 2
Big Finish Specials - The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | UNIT: Encounters | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 2 | The War Master Volume One

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 26, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Patrick Troughton was a gift to this world.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I can't help thinking the longest wait between episodes was 1996 - 2005...

E: Ehh, I must have missed the 'since 2005'bit somehow on the first read.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The End of Time was good I will fight you all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

End of Time Part 2 is a gigantic improvement over Part 1, which has incredible "this is my first draft but oh God I'm so tired and everybody's expecting me to deliver it" energy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerusalem posted:

End of Time Part 2 is a gigantic improvement over Part 1, which has incredible "this is my first draft but oh God I'm so tired and everybody's expecting me to deliver it" energy.

Well he had a whole extra day to write it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OH NO THE THREAD HAS BEEN DESTROYED :supaburn:

What's this a new thread? Kidneys. Still a ginger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommonShore posted:

the moment has been prepared for

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

CommonShore posted:

That may have been a Doctor Who thread, but this is the Doctor Who thread. The definitive article, you might say. :haw:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

CommonShore posted:

Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I enjoy "Doctor Who"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I enjoy "Doctor Who"

how dare you

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I enjoy "Doctor Who"

I like the wig

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Suggestion for the "Where to Watch (US)" section. There's a free streaming app called PlutoTV which has a channel that just plays (3rd Doctor onward) classic serials 24/7. It's set up like regular TV so you don't control what's on or when and there's commercial breaks, but it's free and fills in while there's a dearth of options for the classics. Also, it's two channels over from an all MST3K all the time channel.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

HelleSpud posted:

Suggestion for the "Where to Watch (US)" section. There's a free streaming app called PlutoTV which has a channel that just plays (3rd Doctor onward) classic serials 24/7. It's set up like regular TV so you don't control what's on or when and there's commercial breaks, but it's free and fills in while there's a dearth of options for the classics. Also, it's two channels over from an all MST3K all the time channel.

Oh! I thought that was only a temporary thing.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Looking around I don't see an end date listed, just that it's only licensed 200 episodes and that they may work to rotate out for other episodes depending on how it goes. I know their James Bond channel is a limited time thing and in that case it was included in the press release.

Anyway, it exists for now, and Pyramids of Mars just started https://pluto.tv/live-tv/doctor-who-classic

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF announced the new season of Eighth Doctor Adventures, following on from "Ravenous".

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-stranded-1-2169

"Stranded"- The Doctor, Liv, and Helen find themselves without the TARDIS, having to live out their days in the Doctor's residence on Baker St, in London 2020.

And the Doctor gets a new friend, the former PC, now Sergeant, Andy Davidson, from Torchwood!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, I was wrong in my thinking that the UK BritBox already had classic Doctor Who. It launches Boxing Day.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

BF announced the new season of Eighth Doctor Adventures, following on from "Ravenous".

"Stranded"- The Doctor, Liv, and Helen find themselves without the TARDIS, having to live out their days in the Doctor's residence on Baker St, in London 2020.

And the Doctor gets a new friend, the former PC, now Sergeant, Andy Davidson, from Torchwood!

Wonder what this means for him and Yvonne? :3

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish truly is just Doctor Who Mad Libs, isn't it?

quote:

Doctor No. [1d12] and [LIVING COMPANION] star in a 4-part story called DOCTOR WHO: [15+ POINT WORD IN SCRABBLE]

Part 1: Doctor No. [1d8] and [LIVING COMPANION] run into each other at a [CONTEMPORARY EARTH LOCATION] and are faced with [A PROBLEM THAT WOULD NOT BE TOO EXPENSIVE TO FILM WERE THIS A TV SHOW].

Part 2: Things are complicated when Doctor No. [1d8] and [LIVING COMPANION] encounter [AN ENEMY THAT APPEARED EXACTLY ONCE ON THE TV SHOW], but get assistance from [LIVING ACTOR].

Part 3: [THE DALEKS] show up.

Part 4: The ending is unsatisfying because of [REASON].

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 11, Episode 3: Rosa
Written by Malorie Blackman and Chris Chibnall, Directed by Mark Tonderai

Yasmin Khan posted:

But they don't win, those people.

To my great shame, it wasn't until I sat down to write about this episode that something occurred to me for the first time I can recall; that it wasn't until the 2005 revival of the show that we got a non-white companion. Even then, Mickey Smith only got a brief run, and it was Martha Jones in 2006 who became the ever full-season non-white companion. After she left, it wasn't until the final year of the 12th Doctor's run that another black companion showed up in Bill Potts - as an aside, The Shakespeare Code and Thin Ice demonstrate how there was an increasing self-awareness of how tone-deaf the show sometimes was in relation to racism, in 10 and 12's different approaches to a black companion's concerns about being in the past.

So new showrunner Chris Chibnall's decision to cast two of the three new companions Pakistani and black respectively in many ways was long overdue. The usual crowd of idiots claimed this was a sign of "PC gone mad", but if "madness" is somebody other than a white person getting television representation then bring on the lunacy I say. But in spite of all that, when I learned that there was going to be a Doctor Who episode about Rosa Parks my initial reaction was concern. Not because I didn't think it wasn't good fodder for an episode (it absolutely is), but because I worried that the show might not have the chops to pull it off successfully. Malorie Blackman being one of the co-writers for the episode was a drat good sign though, her background writing young adult sci-fi that explored social and racial issues seemingly made her ideal for the role.

Sadly, while Blackman (and to his credit, Chibnall) mostly deliver with the writing, and the acting performances sans one very important role are nailed just fine, the episode is a bit of a mess. The editing feels a little haphazard, the resolution doesn't quite hit with the impact it should have, and perhaps most sadly the music - so good in the previous two episodes - is astonishingly hamfisted and largely detracts from rather than enhances the story they're trying to tell.

After a brief prologue in 1943 showing Rosa's being abandoned in the rain by bus driver James F. Blake for the "crime" of entering the bus by the front door, the show opens with a confused and agitated Doctor attempting to convince her new companions that she's "mostly" capable of piloting the TARDIS. However numerous attempts to get them back to Sheffield in the 21st Century have failed, and now they find themselves somewhere in the United States in the 1950s. They go for a wander, all of them blissfully unaware of the dangerous situation they've found themselves in until Ryan attempts to be chivalrous and return a woman's dropped handkerchief.

One of the criticisms leveled at this episode is that all the people of Montgomery, Alabama shown are openly, monstrously racist. Well... no poo poo! Montgomery, Alabama in the 1950s absolutely was openly, monstrously racist! I'm sure there were white people who were not racist and even some who put themselves in peril to stand up against the accepted and mainstream racism of the time. But the story isn't about them and throwing them in would serve essentially no purpose other than to make white people feel better about how unbelievably awful and lovely and terrible that period was. It's an episode all about the utter stupidity and nastiness and pointlessness of racism and the bravery of a black woman who stood up to it, and how that bravery resonated down through the ages. The act itself was "simply" refusing to move seats on the bus, but the bravery to do that is near beyond comprehension considering the world she existed in. As she notes to Ryan when he makes the "mistake" of trying to hand a white woman back her handkerchief, Emmett Till said a couple of words to a white woman and look what happened to him.

It still blows my mind that an episode of Doctor Who would openly reference Emmett Till. If you click the link above, you will read about a truly revolting miscarriage of justice.

But this is an episode that is trying to serve two masters: educate the viewers about a particular period of time but also incorporate fantastical sci-fi elements. This has been an issue the show has attempted to work with since its inception, where its original mandate was to do alternating stories educating on history before having fun with over-the-top future sci-fi. This eventually lead to the quiet retirement of "pure historicals", and even into the age of the revival has lead to a recurring issue where stories that absolutely need no more sci-fi dressing beyond "time travelers arrive in <x> time period" end up with unnecessary aliens/spaceships/other time travelers etc muddying the waters. So it isn't simply enough (it should be) for this to be a story about the Doctor and her companions getting involved in/watching history unfold with Rosa. Instead we get a side-story about another time traveler trying to get in Rosa's way, and while it creates some interesting commentary about our own present day, it also feels like a largely ancillary addition that simply pads things out and overall dilutes the story.

Cool visuals though!

Even after meeting Rosa and getting her warning, the Doctor and her companions still don't fully grasp how fully the issues they just experienced permeate every single aspect of 1950s Alabama. The four settle down in a cafe, not noticing that the customers are all white and the kitchen staff all black. Sitting around chatting amicably, Graham gently chides Ryan for not quite remembering correctly Rosa Parks' significance in spite of his primary class being named after her. He redeems himself by recalling that her act was one of the first major moments in the Civil Rights Movement, and the Doctor points out that Martin Luther King is in Montgomery at this point in time as well. But as they chat, they slowly realize how quiet it has gotten, and are disturbed when a waitress approaches and coldly informs them that they don't serve Negroes.... or Mexicans. Ryan tries to crack a joke that falls flat while Yaz is left to belatedly realize that the Mexican comment was aimed at her.

Even after this they still continue on like normal, the episode playing up for comedy Graham's desire to actually get a meal. The Doctor offers to let them wait in the TARDIS while she tracks down odd energy readings, at least acknowledging the unfair dangers both Ryan and Yaz will be facing, but they're determined to stick around, noting that Rosa Parks doesn't have the benefit of a time machine to go hide in and if she can live her life here they can last a couple of hours. They're right that they shouldn't have to hide, but the reality also hasn't quite sunk in for them beyond the intellectual level just yet how openly virulent racism was incorporated into nearly every aspect this society.

They track the energy readings down to a Bus works shed, finding it seemingly empty until the Doctor disrupts a perception filter and finds a suitcase just left in the middle of the room filled with futuristic - but poorly maintained - technology. They're attacked at this point by the "villain" of the episode (racism alone wasn't enough, apparently), a man called Krasko who chases them out of the shed with an energy weapon he apparently can't aim very well. The "chase" is short-lived and not edited very well, and leads to a confrontation between the Doctor and Krasko where the Doctor is oddly unimpressive (it pays off later) despite revealing she has the spare battery for his Temporal Displacement Gun and that she's spotted he used a Vortex Manipulator to travel through time. For his part he recognized her TARDIS for what it was (and failed to displace it with his gun earlier, wasting more battery power) but seems to come out on top of their encounter, smugly warning her and the others to leave this time period or he'll kill them. The Doctor hurriedly scans him with her Sonic and appears to run away, confusing the others who aren't used to seeing her so put off, though she assures them she has no plans to leave.

They make their way to a motel, where they notice again what has been a commonly seen sign all over the city: "Whites Only". Ryan and Yaz are forced to sneak their way into the hotel room via the bathroom window after the Doctor and Graham check in. Even now this is simply an annoying inconvenience, not exactly amusing but something they can still crack jokes about. But after settling in to work out exactly what Krasko is up to and how it involves Rosa Parks, a knock at the door leads to one of the strongest parts of the episode. Office Mason of the Montgomery Police has come to visit, having received multiple complaints about the shocking and disgusting and horrific crime of a couple of white people treating a black man and a "Mexican" woman like equals. So he gives Mr. and Mrs. Steve Jobs a "polite" but firm warning about harboring anybody like "the negro" who has "been going around picking fights with upstanding citizens." While they assure him they're not hiding anybody who doesn't have every right to be there, there are comedic moments to offset the seriousness of the situation, such as Graham giving the name Steve Jobs and pretending he and the Doctor are married (the Doctor's reaction to him putting his arm around her shoulders is hilarious). But it is what is going on outside the bathroom that is the real story.

Ryan and Yaz have slipped out of the bathroom and hidden behind a dumpster, correctly guessing Mason would barge his way into the bathroom to see if anybody was in there. As they sit literally beside trash, they finally have come to more than an intellectual understanding of the reality of where and when they are. Quietly, they talk about the realities of growing up colored even in the modern, "enlightened" era of the early 21st Century. Sure there aren't "Whites Only" signs up anymore, but they both grew up being told by their families that they had to be careful never to give racists the "excuse" by losing their tempers. Rosa's decision not to sit on the bus did not end racism, and even to this day Ryan gets stopped and questioned by police more often than his white mates. Yaz points out that SHE is police, but admits that she does get hassled constantly regardless, called racist terms like "Paki" when dealing with domestic disputes, or being called a terrorist when she's on her way back from the mosque. But she makes the point that racists don't win, that while they still exist and perhaps always will, progress continues to be made thanks to people like Rosa who have the strength and bravery to stand up to them. Because of people like her, Yaz can be a police officer. 50 years after the brutal murder of Emmett Till, black people not being allowed to enter a bus from the front, whites only signs etc... a black man became President of these very same United States.

It's a strong scene, and while you could argue it's being far too forgiving on the basis of "eventually things will very slowly get less worse!" what I think really makes it work is that you have two colored characters sitting in one of the darkest periods of US history talking openly about how racism is still a thing in the future but retaining an optimistic outlook in spite of their shared experiences. Of knowing that these assholes are on the wrong side of history and will be remembered as such, because incremental or otherwise, change is happening and always will be. A show like Doctor Who needs that optimism, and it is to its credit that it provides it without pretending like the horrors of the past are a solved problem in our "enlightened" present.

After the foursome reassemble, they decide to build a timeline of Rosa's pivotal day and do some research to figure out why Krasko is obsessed with her but also hasn't attempted to kill or temporally displace her. They figure out which bus Rosa takes, we learn about the middle section of the bus only being allowed for "coloreds" if no white people want the seats. Plus we get yet another example of how pants-on-head stupid racism is when Yaz figures out that despite not being welcome to sit in or stay at most places she's allowed up with the whites on the bus while Ryan is forced to board from the back and sit away from the rest of the group.

They divide up, with Graham's own experience as a bus driver giving him an in to meet James Blake (who he detests), Yaz compiling the timeline from the info provided so far (part of a recurring theme of her doing all the police stuff you rarely see police do on television), Ryan following Rosa to find out more about her, while the Doctor decides to confront Krasko again on her own.

Alone, separated from the others, this confrontation is very different. The Doctor here either feels more free because she doesn't have to worry about her companions, or her earlier awkwardness/seeming intimidation was an act to lull Krasko into a false sense of security. Because she absolutely demolishes him, and it's a thrill to watch how effortlessly she does so. Tricking him into temporally displacing his own equipment into the 79th Century, she also overheats his displacement gun, reveals she figured out he's a former prisoner of Stormcage (where River Song was "imprisoned" for a long time) and that he's got a neural restrictor in his brain. The latter is why he hasn't killed Rosa, and she takes advantage to strip him of the Vortex Manipulator and smash it, then openly mock him as he attempts to choke her and quickly gets overwhelmed by the restrictor in his brain.

Krasko tries to put up a good front, but he's pathetic and the episode isn't making any attempt to cover that up. His reasoning for going after Rosa is only implied here but more than clear, he thinks the Civil Rights Movement is where "things started to go wrong". Or in other words, he's a racist. A 79th Century racist, which is a depressing thought but plays into Ryan and Yaz's earlier conversation. Racism doesn't go away, but as time progresses it stops being the accepted norm and those that espouse those views are rightfully held in contempt.

The Doctor makes Krasko the offer, now that he's trapped in the past without his weapons and equipment, his only way back to his own time is with her assistance. He refuses, of course, determined that he has figured out how to change the past via tiny, seemingly inconsequential changes. He leaves, and importantly he leaves his overheated displacement gun behind.

Ryan meanwhile completely fails to spy on Rosa, who spots him and confronts him. He explains he wants to help the Movement, and she has to agree that a FBI spy probably would be better at sneaking around. She invites him in to her place where he meets her husband, Fred Gray... and Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. He's thrilled, of course, especially when he talks about his recently deceased Nan and MLK offers his condolences. It's a sadly too brief peek at what would have been a far more interesting part of Rosa's story, her involvement in the Civil Rights Movement. Even perhaps a look at the idea/theory that her decision not to be moved on the bus may have actually been a carefully coordinated protest as part of efforts to raise awareness of the unfair treatment of black people in America (she was not the first black woman to refuse to move seats in Montgomery, Alabama). Instead we get this brief look, and then a short piece a few minutes later where Ryan exits the meeting and offers his gratitude to Rosa for allowing him to meet with them and hear them all talk. Careful not to say anything out of turn, he tells her he knows that things will get better even if they won't be perfect, and that on behalf of himself and his Nan he simply wants to tell her it is worth the fight. This genuine and heartfelt moment is where the strength of the episode lies, and it's a shame the Krasko storyline had to be in the way.

They return to the motel where the Doctor is looking over the temporal displacement gun, and in a rare case of not thinking (or at least, not thinking the worse) indulges Ryan's curiosity and explains to him how it works. Graham informs them that he met James Blake and learned he is taking tomorrow off, which doesn't fit with history. The Doctor grasps at last that Krasko's plan is to use these tiny changes to nudge things just enough of course that Rosa's protest never happens. She's not having that of course, and declares their mission is to nudge everything back so the events that are supposed to happen, actually do happen. This is one of the weaknesses of the story, as Krasko's plan... makes no sense. If Rosa didn't refuse to move tomorrow, it would have happened some other day and history would have unfolded basically he same anyway. The Montgomery Bus Boycott was probably always going to happen, the Browder vs. Gayle case was going to come down in opposition to bus segregation. Rosa's moment was historic and inspiring, but the suggestion that the ENTIRE Civil Rights Movement wouldn't have happened if she hadn't refused to be moved on that one specific evening should be the kind of half-baked dumb villain plot that makes the Doctor laugh in his face... but then I guess we wouldn't have a rest of the episode!

So the Doctor and Yaz organize to remove Blake's replacement from the picture, showing up at his house to announce he's won a raffle to see Frank Sinatra in Vegas thanks to the Doctor pulling some connections out of her back pocket. Graham and Ryan take advantage of Blake's racism to ruin his day off fishing, as he is put off by Ryan's cheerful presence but even more upset to learn about a planned bus sit-in they've made up. The Doctor and Yaz then move on to the department store where Rosa works as a seamstress, putting a tear in the Doctor's coat so that Rosa will have to work late and catch the correct bus home.

But while they work to set things right, Krasko continues to work to push them off. Forced by his neural restrictor to work smarter instead of just killing people, he fakes vandalism of Blake's normal bus and informs him as a mechanic that they've arranged to cancel the route for the evening. He then puts route canceled fliers on the route's stops so no passengers will be around, so that even if a bus did run, Blake - who has a history with Rosa - wouldn't be the driver and there wouldn't be enough passengers onboard.

Catching wind of what Krasko is doing, the Doctor hotwires a bus from the depot and has Graham drive it to where Blake is making his way home, informing the by now completely bewildered driver that this is the replacement bus for his route and he's running behind. Graham and the Doctor stay onboard, while Ryan rushes along the route to tell waiting passengers the bus is coming, only to discover the fliers. He tears them down and tries to tell an elderly white couple the bus is coming, only to get snarled at and called "boy". Biting his tongue he continues on, and runs into Krasko who has resorted to literally parking his car in the middle of the street to block the bus when it comes. Ryan and Krasko confront each other, with the latter finally just outright stating his racism as he proclaims that with Rosa not getting a chance to refuse to move, "your kind won't get above themselves." Disgusted and fed-up, Ryan informs the man from the future that he really is living in the past, and if he likes it so much he can stay there: he fires the Temporal Displacement Gun thanks to the Doctor telling him how it worked, and sends a surprised Krasko into the deep, deep past where he'll presumably fall prey to a caveman thanks to his inability to fight back. It's a... well it's hard to feel any sympathy for Krasko, but Ryan doing this feels like an odd choice even if it is poetic justice. It's symptomatic of the problem with Krasko being included as the villain in the first place, he just kind of got in the way until getting literally vanished out of the story.

With a bit of a rush from Yaz, Rosa gets onboard the bus and everything is seemingly back on track, with every member of the cast having been given something to do for a change. Ryan joins them, revealing what he did to Krasko which goes oddly uncommented on by the Doctor. But when Graham decides it is time for them to leave, the Doctor comes to a nasty realization: they're still three passengers short of a packed bus, which means if they leave there will be spare seats and Rosa won't be asked to move. So to Graham's deep shame, he is forced to remain and be part of the reason why Rosa is first confronted by Blake, then forcibly removed from the bus and placed under arrest by the police. Importantly, while the Doctor and her companions have to remain on the bus, they never push or prod or are in any way responsible for her decision not to move. Instead, they're simply there as spectators, they made sure things would unfold as they were meant to, but it was Rosa who had the idea, Rosa who followed through and had the bravery to stand tall against the true villain that was the accepted, embraced and legally permissible overt racism of her times.

Unfortunately, the impact of this final moment is undercut by the overly dramatic use of music, an issue that permeates the rest of the episode too. Rosa and Krasko both have themes that blast whenever they are on screen, cues that hammer the viewer over the head with,"This is a noble and patriotic woman!" and "This is a cruel and mean villain!" in about as unsubtle a way as you can imagine. The song, Rise Up, is a fine song but it's not used effectively here. It feels too on the nose, too clumsily trying to evoke an emotional reaction, and isn't helped by the Doctor and her companions returning to the TARDIS for the odd decision to celebrate the fact an asteroid got named after Rosa. Better is the reveal that Rosa recieved the Congressional Medal in 1999 but that it came after a lifetime of hardship she and her husband suffered in spite of the plaudits Rosa received for her courageous stand. As Ryan notes, it took too long for Rosa to be truly, officially recognized by the country she helped to change, almost her entire life. The Doctor agrees, but points out she changed the world. Forgetting the asteroid bit, that message works well in relation to the rest of the episode: change comes only with a fight, but the change is worth the fight. It's just a pity the episode wasn't better, because if you took out the Krasko (who looks like a Rob McElhenney impersonator) parts and just concentrated on telling the story of Rosa Parks, you'd have one hell of a pure historical that would have fit in perfectly with that original classic series brief of informing the audience about important events in history.

Ironically, the next episode about giant spiders running around Sheffield in 2018 features no aliens or bad guys from the future or spaceships at all!

Index of Doctor Who Write-ups for Television Episodes/Big Finish Audio Stories.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 22, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
History fact: Montgomery wasn’t even the first place to protest the buses, Baton Rouge had that honour back in 1953, inspiring the more famous ones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

History fact: Montgomery wasn’t even the first place to protest the buses, Baton Rouge had that honour back in 1953, inspiring the more famous ones.

I really recommend people who aren't aware read up on this and the more famous Montgomery Bus boycott. The utter bullshit these people had to put up with but that they persevered through is frankly amazing. While this episode is lacking in a lot of ways, the fact it's bringing attention to this part of history and hopefully leading viewers (especially younger ones) to read up on this stuff and become more aware of it is an indisputably good thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have a personal interest in Baton Rouge, having lived there for college about a decade ago. A long time friend has just become director of the state museum based there, and she wants to feature the bus boycotts a bit more heavily than the current single panel of information.

The museum currently also has MLK Jr’s funeral hearse on display, adding to the whole Rosa vibe.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It makes me irrationally annoyed that the one time the line was subverted is for the ugliest Tardis interior there has ever been.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Curse of Fenric seen.

Needs more alien zombie vikings, because there was a sore lack of them

The Doctor was an absolute delight from start to finish

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

American peeps! FYI, certain cinemas will be showing eps 1 and 2 of the new season on January 5th.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Curse of Fenric seen.

Needs more alien zombie vikings, because there was a sore lack of them

The Doctor was an absolute delight from start to finish

The Doctor, in full view of everyone, simultaneously forging two letters which he then uses to establish himself and Ace as being completely authorized to be at this top secret military base is one of Doctor Who's perfect moments.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

docbeard posted:

The Doctor, in full view of everyone, simultaneously forging two letters which he then uses to establish himself and Ace as being completely authorized to be at this top secret military base is one of Doctor Who's perfect moments.

More of that and less Psychic Paper would've been nice for the new series - just have the Doctor pull a thick sheaf of papers out of his pocket at any given moment - same result, but more dramatic

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

God I love it so much :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hated it at the time, but I think I kinda love “insane and unhinged, smearing burger wrappers on his face” SimmMaster now.

The fact that he got to come back as a Serious Goatee'd Master makes it less dire in retrospect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My boyfriend was attending a family funeral today, and got talking to a woman who turned out to be Louise Jameson.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Incidentally, a happy Christmas to all of you at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's that time of year again

https://twitter.com/bluebox99/status/1209528855188389888