Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Wait... Part 1?

Part 2 is on Sunday and then I don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Come on chibnall we already did the evil satnav thing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SiKboy posted:

These are the least intimidating men in black of all time.

They're using GPS to get to their spy headquarters :3:

Edit: The Graham/Ryan dynamic remains great :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 1, 2020

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Who the gently caress called a loving search engine “Vore”?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

Who the gently caress called a loving search engine “Vore”?

"Vore is more powerful than most nations today"- A thing Stephen Fry said on worldwide TV in 2020.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

"Vore is more powerful than most nations today"- A thing Stephen Fry said on worldwide TV in 2020.

After which he was promptly assassinated, are we sure the villain is actually a villain? :hmmyes:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I sold Lenny Henry some records once, he's very nice IRL

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor playing snap :3:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is Yaz going to leave? Seems like they are setting that up.

Edit- wait when did the Doctor meet this MI6 jabroni?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

That DNA test could have backfired; "His DNA is 100% Alien! Oh wait, no, hes a zygon. I actually already knew about that, its cool guys."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Whaaaaaat?

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ohhhhh drat!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, I predicted he was a baddie, but this is not where I thought this was going!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:tviv:

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
Oh!

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Well that was... good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was sitting there thinking the plot didn't really make any sense, that it was a lot of weirdly sketched out scenes that didn't really flow together or follow on from one another... and then the reveal came and it all made a bizarre kind of perfect sense because it's just the Master loving with the Doctor for the fun of it. Still not sure if that forgives the first 3/4ths of the episode but when it ended I had a big smile on my face :)

I miss Gomez but this new guy really nailed the,"Ahhhhh it's so great screwing with the Doctor's head!" aspect nicely. I love it when the Master pretends to be somebody nice so they can then revel in the fact that they're really a huge rear end in a top hat.

Edit: To really make it perfect, next episode better have a:

Doctor: You realize the aliens you're helping to take over the universe will eventually turn on you too, right?
Master: :aaa:

moment.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 1, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do like that the Master decided to have his house/TARDIS fly purely to mock his past form.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I really liked this episode! I felt like the pastiche was pitch-perfect, and the reveal was excellent. I did have one detail I thought was interesting - wasn't the hand-wave thing mostly Simm? I'm going to assume from his adoption of that mannerism that this incarnation comes between Simm & Missy until we see otherwise.

And I'm fairly certain that the glowy aliens are, in classic tradition, going to turn on the Master & he's going to have to team up with the Doctor to save himself.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
There was some weird edits (the car chase/then cut straight to the airport springs to mind) but overall I enjoyed it alot. Already more enjoyable then S11 was.

The reveal was a genuine surprise and I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Yaz actually had stuff to do!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lol I'm always down for the reveal that some character is actually The Master.

Was the character actually in a past episode? I don't remember him.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Yeah, overall I felt that was fun and engaging, but had weird choppy structure from scene-to-scene. It also still had problems of telling instead of showing, or at least constantly describing what was already happening onscreen (ex: "oh crap, nobody's driving the car!")

But that reveal got an actual out-loud :tviv: from me which is more of a reaction than S11 ever managed.

Also, tissue compression got a smile and the little matchbox figure was the right kind of silly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

marktheando posted:

Lol I'm always down for the reveal that some character is actually The Master.

Was the character actually in a past episode? I don't remember him.

Nah, you might be recalling that Sacha Dhawan (the new Master) played Waris Hussain in An Adventure In Time & Space.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, you might be recalling that Sacha Dhawan (the new Master) played Waris Hussain in An Adventure In Time & Space.

Oh poo poo, of course. I knew he looked familiar but couldn't place him in a Doctor Who episode.

People on twitter saying that this Master has to be in between Simm and Gomez since Missy died with her ability to regenerate suspended, they are obviously unfamiliar with the Master's ability to repeatedly come back from definitely being 100% killed for good this time.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Genuinely thought it was going to be an Omega reveal. The aliens kind of those things from The Three Doctorsish, invading from another universe, and "O". Happy to be wrong!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hadn't even considered the Omega idea but yeah I'm grateful they went with The Master instead.

Voting Floater posted:

Also, tissue compression got a smile and the little matchbox figure was the right kind of silly.

The moment where he goes to pop it back in his pocket, then kinda shrugs and just tosses it aside like garbage was amazing.

marktheando posted:

People on twitter saying that this Master has to be in between Simm and Gomez since Missy died with her ability to regenerate suspended, they are obviously unfamiliar with the Master's ability to repeatedly come back from definitely being 100% killed for good this time.

I think my favorite moment of this type of thing is still when a companion (Peri?) meets him and says,"Didn't you die?" after seeing him burn to death in a previous story and he just goes,"Nope!" and that's literally the only explanation we ever get :allears:

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

For some reason I'd had it in mind (at least until the Doctor didn't recognise them) that the aliens might be the Voord, since their shape was sort-of similar and the company is called VOR. From what happened with Yaz, I'd expected a twist that her DNA had been overwritten or whatever and she'd been turned into a double agent - obviously that could still happen. I wasn't expecting a reveal about O at all until it happened.

marktheando posted:

Oh poo poo, of course. I knew he looked familiar but couldn't place him in a Doctor Who episode.

I hope that at most we just get a handwave explanation. The Doctor wasn't aware of how Missy died, so from an in-universe perspective there isn't actually a need for the Master to give a technobabble excuse for surviving.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Even Gomez did it once where she shows up on a UNIT screen and goes something like "Long story short, not dead, back now, doesn't matter"

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Thought the aliens were very army of ghosts and Vor was a bit Lumic industries. Didn’t see the reveal coming. That was ace.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor will never know that she actually did get through to the Gomez-Master, and somehow I'm sure that fact just makes the current Master absolutely giddy with delight :allears:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I haven't been paying attention to spoilers and leaks, was the Master returning known about beforehand?

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor will never know that she actually did get through to the Gomez-Master, and somehow I'm sure that fact just makes the current Master absolutely giddy with delight :allears:

Yeah this is a good reason for it being a post-Gomez regeneration.

Also I like that the Time Lords in the classic series seemed to all operate on the same "present day" so I hope they maintain that and have the Doctor and Master at the same age.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Minor point, but I sort of wish they hadn't had the line about UNIT and Torchwood in the episode. If you want the story to have Earth's governments being sceptical of aliens, fine, just don't mention it and let fans grumble online. This infection of checking off every possible thing that will have an incel nerd going "Um, actually..." has to stop. It basically killed Star Wars, I don't need it killing Who.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

One of the most impressive things with the Chibnall reign is the utter lack of spoilers leaking out. I don't seem to remember Sacha Dhawan being announced, let alone hints as to who he was playing.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

Minor point, but I sort of wish they hadn't had the line about UNIT and Torchwood in the episode. If you want the story to have Earth's governments being sceptical of aliens, fine, just don't mention it and let fans grumble online. This infection of checking off every possible thing that will have an incel nerd going "Um, actually..." has to stop. It basically killed Star Wars, I don't need it killing Who.

It would be much more realistic to just go with different security branches not telling each other what's going on. Offhandedly saying that UNIT and Torchwood are gone will trigger far more nerd outrage.

That's also reminded me that they finally pulled the "Graham gets mistaken for the Doctor" gag. Part of me is surprised it took that long, but I also would have liked if they'd never bothered going there.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So a thought occurs to me and I hope it’s not been brought up but, we had Missy, then she got killed and The Doctor regenerated into a female body, does it follow that once Spy Master gets offed we’ll get a BAME Doctor?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The Doctor's Black Tie outfit... :swoon:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Voting Floater posted:

For some reason I'd had it in mind (at least until the Doctor didn't recognise them) that the aliens might be the Voord, since their shape was sort-of similar

That was my thinking too. I'm not sure it makes much sense in context, other than the Master was last seen in a Cybermen story, and the Voord/Marinus are cyber-adjacent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pinwiz11 posted:

The Doctor's Black Tie outfit... :swoon:

She kept the 3/4 (high cuff?) pants and boots with it too :hellyeah:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There was a lot of wildly guessing the exposition out loud in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I mean, UNIT/Torchwood being defunct was played for laughs back in last year's New Year's special, so it's not like it's new info