Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just want a rude rear end penguin to show up, is that too much to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's just grueling to film. It's usually 10 months of shooting. There was a reason RTD (from series 2) and Moffat (to an extent) had a "Doctor-lite" episode each series, just to give the main cast a break.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Davros1 posted:

It's just grueling to film. It's usually 10 months of shooting. There was a reason RTD (from series 2) and Moffat (to an extent) had a "Doctor-lite" episode each series, just to give the main cast a break.

What makes it so loving brutal?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like TV Who has missed a trick by not having at least an ersatz Faction Paradox. It’s a really great concept.

Anyway, going by his last tweets, he’s not been having a good time of it lately. :(

I looked at his tweets and sadly you're right :( I hope he's OK and gets the help he needs.

CommonShore posted:

I know there's other staff and people that work on the show, but I think a large part of the problem is that the showrunner is basically responsible for coordinating both the creative side of the show, and the logistical/financial side. As we saw with Moffat, sometimes that can cause bigtime problems.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I looked at his tweets and sadly you're right :( I hope he's OK and gets the help he needs.

I know there's other staff and people that work on the show, but I think a large part of the problem is that the showrunner is basically responsible for coordinating both the creative side of the show, and the logistical/financial side. As we saw with Moffat, sometimes that can cause bigtime problems.

Yeah but that's just the showrunner. What makes it so brutal for the cast?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

CommonShore posted:

Think of it like this: you show up to work, ready to do your job, and either you can't work because your boss forgot some important detail so you have to waste a bunch of time waiting around, or everything is so rushed you're hurrying just to get poo poo done. Now imagine you're doing this while you're trying to act out the scripts written by the same boss.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also it’s a physically demanding show with little need for stunt doubles by nature, so all the running around and stuff is the actors doing it themselves. I could imagine having to reshoot a running around scene a few times would add up.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CommonShore posted:

Being in Cardiff?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

shades of eternity posted:

alrighty.

Then the head-shaving affair.

The what now? I'm not on Twitter and in the US, so I get most of my DW dirt from this thread.

Rhyno posted:

If that's a Frobisher reference, I just want say I've liked and subscribed to your posts. (actually, I've always liked your posts here and in BSS (and your sexy Guy av's))

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Best companion

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

CommonShore posted:

This is a pretty good thread from an american showrunner explaining how they end up
structuring scripts so it's not as brutal for a cast:

https://twitter.com/JeffLieber/status/1231248469798506497

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That makes sense. Thanks! It also sounds to me like something that writing could fix. Id happily give up a location story for a soundstage story and a doctor light story.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Counterpoint:

:v:

Seriously, though: the NDA/PDA ranges featured a fair bit of writing about Ace being all sexed up, having sex, losing her virginity to Glitz, etc. Perhaps some authors were truly genuine in trying to take DW back into a more "adult/mature" direction and away from being considered a children's show, and with Ace being the most recent companion, they decided to portray her in a more realistic light with sexual desires being a part of that. If so, while I don't necessarily think it's a good idea, if it's genuine then it's at least a logical step. On that note, however, I remember reading one PDA with 7 and Ace where one of the villains was leering over Ace so hard you could practically see the beads of sweat forming on the writer's forehead. I don't recall Peri or Tegan or Leela or any other female companions getting similar treatment in the PDA novels (Turlough, on the other hand...). Which is especially ironic in that the female companions in the past were often cast for their sex appeal, while Ace was meant to be a more progressive companion that wasn't just "for the dads"...and yet, even the guys who wrote for her on the show couldn't help but comment on how attractive they thought she was, so it was pretty much inevitable that given a novel format with looser restrictions, that some of the guys who wrote for her were going to go full-bore on just how sexy they thought she was.

This reminds me of another thing about Lawrence Miles, too: he absolutely detested the notion that Big Finish basically came in and "replaced" the novels in most people's minds as being "real" DW. He felt the novels had been the one thing pushing the series forward after it went on hiatus and after the TV Movie came and went. When BF started doing stuff with 5, 6, and 7, I don't think he cared much, but when they started doing audio adventures with 8, I remember reading about how it really started to gnaw at him, mainly because (for licensing reasons at the time, I'm sure) they didn't acknowledge or use any elements or companions from the 8DA novels, so to him that was basically saying the novels were just glorified fanfic and the audios were the "true" DW wilderness years stories. Of course, he'd already pretty much quit the range at this time, so a lot of it just came across as sour grapes. And I seem to recall that BF did some Faction Paradox audios? So maybe he eventually got over any resentments he might have had.

Counter-counterpoint-fairly early on, when Bennie was introduced, Ace got into an age appropriate "first love" relationship that went bad and caused her to leave the Doctor, and it was handled very well IIRC. Comparing NDAs to PDAs is a bit off, because the NDAs were only focused on 7 and did somewhat of an arc, while the PDAs were one and done focusing on various Doctors in no particular order.

Though I never warmed to the Faction Paradox arc, I agree with Miles that it's a shame the novels were decanonized whole cloth. The portrayals of both early Gallifreyan society and current as part of the Cartmel Masterplan were interesting. The idea that they were a society of telepaths who were led by a future seeing oracle was neat, as was the idea that Rassilon pushing for time travel smashed that entire society against the rocks and opened up seeing the future for the masses. Even the much maligned Looms were something I liked, not in the idea of the "sexless Doctor" trope, but in the idea of Rassilon's revolution having negative consequences, and turning them into the ossified observers we see in the show. The characters like Benny, Chris and Roz were well done and different from old companions and had real emotional arcs and problems like New Series characters such as Martha, Donna, Danny Pink, Rory, etc. I also really enjoyed the future Earth Empire worldbuilding.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

CommonShore posted:

That makes sense. Thanks! It also sounds to me like something that writing could fix. Id happily give up a location story for a soundstage story and a doctor light story.

Back in the day, DW (and a lot of BBC shows in general) used a producer and script editor team, rather than a single showrunner being responsible for everything. The script editor basically solicited scripts from writers, did the necessary revisions to keep things within whatever parameters the show had (and reined in the more outrageous ideas as needed), and generally oversaw the creative side of things. The producer acted as the show's liason with the BBC, oversaw the budgets and a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff in general. They still overrode the script editor on certain creative decisions when needed (which is ultimately what led to the breakdown of the relationship between John Nathan-Turner and Eric Saward during Six's run).

I think the showrunner model works fine for smaller programs like sitcoms or programs where there's a basic setting and you don't need to come up with new locations every week. But as we have seen several times now with DW since it came back, there seem to be some very large problems with being responsible for both the show's creative vision and making sure all the money and equipment are available when they're needed. At some point one or the other is going to have to give.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I haven't posted in a Dr who thread forever so I'd like to say that Ashad got less and less interesting as a character the more he talked, right up until he revealed that his plan was very dumb and got shrunk for his troubles. Him holding the baby and calming it whilst also dropping the "you will be like us" line was the most effective he got for me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

With the number of companions 13 has, I always thought they should take a page out of Big Finish's playbook. With something like 5 and Adric, Nyssa, and Tegan, they'll structure the 3 arc story so each companion gets a focus, while they others have a less prominent role.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

The what now? I'm not on Twitter and in the US, so I get most of my DW dirt from this thread.

Doesn’t this have something to do with Matt Smith completing his time on Who, getting his head shaved for another role and then needing to come back for a reshoot?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zaroff posted:

Doesn’t this have something to do with Matt Smith completing his time on Who, getting his head shaved for another role and then needing to come back for a reshoot?

It would be amazing if this were the origin of the fez

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was his final episode, and Moffat wrote it into the story- the Doctor smuggles the Tardis into a restricted zone where technology isn't allowed by shaving his head and stashing a key in his wig

E: he later admits that his "clever plan" to get into the restricted zone was actually just a happy accident and he'd shaved his head out of boredom. Man I miss Matt Smith!

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Rhyno posted:

We all have our favorites if we had the budget to do it right

For me it's Kevin

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Kevin_(When_Worlds_Collide)

2house2fly posted:

That was his final episode, and Moffat wrote it into the story- the Doctor smuggles the Tardis into a restricted zone where technology isn't allowed by shaving his head and stashing a key in his wig

E: he later admits that his "clever plan" to get into the restricted zone was actually just a happy accident and he'd shaved his head out of boredom. Man I miss Matt Smith!

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/peter-capaldi-goes-bald-new-20470401

Capaldi went bald too. :D

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 7, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Wasn't Karen Gillan also bald at this point?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man I think she was. Duelling baldies.

Apropos of nothing, a bit of dialogue from the Magician's Apprentice prequel/minisoode that I got reminded of:

quote:

OHILA: He has asked to see you. His servants seek you everywhere. Will you go?
DOCTOR: No.
OHILA: Why do you always lie?
DOCTOR: Why do you always assume I'm lying?
OHILA: It saves time. The truth - will you go?
OHILA: When?
DOCTOR: Soon.
OHILA: Why? Did something happen?
OHILA: Was it recent?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

marktheando posted:

Wasn't Karen Gillan also bald at this point?

Yep, she was filming for Guardians of the Galaxy by that point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also, even in the classic days of Who almost every every actor who played the Doctor said that the schedule was intense enough that they'd have to turn down roles in other things, and they started getting worried that if they didn't leave soon then the offers would stop coming entirely due to them always turning them down.

I don't think anybody had it worse than Hartnell though, there were 42 episodes in his first season, 39 in his second and 45 in his third, and he did 8 of the 43 episodes in season 4.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
For some reason, "Vincent and the Doctor" is trending at 1am.

And you know what, they're absolutely right.

https://twitter.com/TheWomenOfWho/status/1236454406842986497

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe people just remembered randomly,"Oh right, that episode was loving sensational!" and decided to watch it again. Good choice :hmmyes:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean a big part of this is that Who is essentially an anthology show with a different location, sets, supporting cast, etc. for each episode/story.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Also, even in the classic days of Who almost every every actor who played the Doctor said that the schedule was intense enough that they'd have to turn down roles in other things, and they started getting worried that if they didn't leave soon then the offers would stop coming entirely due to them always turning them down.

I don't think anybody had it worse than Hartnell though, there were 42 episodes in his first season, 39 in his second and 45 in his third, and he did 8 of the 43 episodes in season 4.

Even then, they'd rotate actors out of eps for vacations. That's one of the reason the Doctor is invisible during "The Celestial Toymaker".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Best use of this is in The Keys of Marinus where the Doctor disapears for an episode of two, then randomly shows up in a later episode to be Ian's lawyer... despite having no legal training AND being completely unfamiliar with the laws of the planet they're on :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Deleter posted:

I haven't posted in a Dr who thread forever so I'd like to say that Ashad got less and less interesting as a character the more he talked, right up until he revealed that his plan was very dumb and got shrunk for his troubles. Him holding the baby and calming it whilst also dropping the "you will be like us" line was the most effective he got for me.

Personally I think he's got sort of a valley situation in his quality across the episodes. He's weird and interesting in his first episode, sort of losing my interest in the second, and the in the third they grab the things that didn't work that looked unintentional, make them very much an in-story thing, and just roll with them and it's great.

Him talking to the Master is a neat sort of opposite to the couple of times the Doctor's tried to argue against the Cybermen's really simplistic goals of survival. Even a 'smart' Cyberman isn't really terribly creative, and the Master is absolutely the most perfect person to face with that because he's got the exact perspective to just be disappointed about it. The Cybermen and the Master sharing scenes was the best part of that episode, and that scene was probably the best of them.

Jerusalem posted:

Best use of this is in The Keys of Marinus where the Doctor disapears for an episode of two, then randomly shows up in a later episode to be Ian's lawyer... despite having no legal training AND being completely unfamiliar with the laws of the planet they're on :allears:

And this is entirely unrelated, but I've now suddenly had this jump fully formed into my mind as, like, an Ace Attorney-style game. A lawyer travelling through time and space, and the challenge is just as much proving your client innocent as it is trying to figure out the legal system they're being tried under in the first place without making it obvious you're totally clueless.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

Personally I think he's got sort of a valley situation in his quality across the episodes. He's weird and interesting in his first episode, sort of losing my interest in the second, and the in the third they grab the things that didn't work that looked unintentional, make them very much an in-story thing, and just roll with them and it's great.

Him talking to the Master is a neat sort of opposite to the couple of times the Doctor's tried to argue against the Cybermen's really simplistic goals of survival. Even a 'smart' Cyberman isn't really terribly creative, and the Master is absolutely the most perfect person to face with that because he's got the exact perspective to just be disappointed about it. The Cybermen and the Master sharing scenes was the best part of that episode, and that scene was probably the best of them.

That was one of the good bits of the episode. As he was laying out his grand plan I was thinking "So the new status quo for the cybermen is going to be... Robots? Thats really dull. Not a fan of that at all" then the master basically articulated my thoughts and I laughed out loud. I still think his death was a little too abrupt for a multi-episode antagonist though.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

SiKboy posted:

That was one of the good bits of the episode. As he was laying out his grand plan I was thinking "So the new status quo for the cybermen is going to be... Robots? Thats really dull. Not a fan of that at all" then the master basically articulated my thoughts and I laughed out loud. I still think his death was a little too abrupt for a multi-episode antagonist though.

Don't worry, Big Finish has you covered with a Box Set backstory.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

And this is entirely unrelated, but I've now suddenly had this jump fully formed into my mind as, like, an Ace Attorney-style game. A lawyer travelling through time and space, and the challenge is just as much proving your client innocent as it is trying to figure out the legal system they're being tried under in the first place without making it obvious you're totally clueless.

I think it was in that HBO Rome series where they did a trial scene that obviously played with the modern concept of what a legal trial is: in Rome it was (broadly speaking) really about who made a more impressive case with the best rhetoric. This poor lawyer shows up and tries to argue that his client murdered the guy due to all kinds of external factors that need to be taken into account for a lighter sentence etc, and the judge cuts him off to say,"Oh, so you're admitting he did it? Cool, I find him guilty and sentence him to death, next case!"

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

TinTower posted:

For some reason, "Vincent and the Doctor" is trending at 1am.

And you know what, they're absolutely right.

https://twitter.com/TheWomenOfWho/status/1236454406842986497

One of the few scenes on television that always seems to play while there's a lot of dust in my room.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Fortunately we'll always have the classic series with gems like the key to time. Hex-ology? Series? Well it was 6 discs in a box anyway.

At least until the BBC find a way to gently caress up reprinting old DVDs as well. Wouldn't put it past them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DancingShade posted:

At least until the BBC find a way to gently caress up reprinting old DVDs as well. Wouldn't put it past them.

Like making the classic series Blu-ray sets in such limited numbers that most people struggle to get them?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Like making the classic series Blu-ray sets in such limited numbers that most people struggle to get them?

They're so limited I didn't even know they were making them.

It's okay. Once the compulsory license fee gets abolished the BBC will be falling all over themselves to drive revenue and I'm sure they'll print what the market demands.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nah, I don’t want to watch the BBC with ads, thanks.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The BBC is doomed. And their news output is such shameless tory propaganda that I can't bring myself to care about this or do anything to stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

shades of eternity posted:

Is there something inherently toxic about doing new Doctor Who?

The revival has been on the air for fifteen years.