Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I kinda love the idea that all the Governments in the world are fully aware of extra terrestrial life and that the United Nations even had an Intelligence Taskforce that worked globally to deal with it for DECADES... but nobody ever actually told MI6 :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
So Chibnall Who is still hot loving garbage huh.

It's been bugging me since last season that I can't quite put my finger on why it's so bad. Chibnall is a crap writer, but Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and the one episode with the cubes were at least functional episodes of Doctor Who. The length is certainly a problem; trim this episode down 15 or 20 minutes and you'd see an improvement for sure. Every single scene goes on too long.

What if instead of a lovely-looking motorcycle chase we used that time to have the Doctor have a heated conversation with the bad guy, so we might learn more about him than "he's Jeff Bezos and knows aliens?" You know, the only type of scene that Doctor Who is consistently good at? And it would be nice to have Jodie Whittaker do something more than spout technobabble and make tired quips. Also, why is Yaz, who had just had a mildly traumatizing experience being zapped into Alien Forest Zone, laughing and quipping about being shot at in said motorcycle chase? Is this what we get for asking for more Yaz content?

I forgot how bad that miniature spinning Tardis looks. At least the aliens look neat, and Sacha Dhawan is having fun. But this still feels like a one-series show another channel would pump out to compete against Doctor Who.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wow I guess I never watched last year’s New Year’s special either because I was very confused when a Dalek showed up instead of The Master.

I kept waiting for some kind of team-up reveal like an idiot. :doh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was the first Master reveal that I ever got to see not knowing it was coming and it was glorious.

I suppose you can count Yana, but I didn't even know who the master was when they did that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rochallor posted:

So Chibnall Who is still hot loving garbage huh.

It's been bugging me since last season that I can't quite put my finger on why it's so bad. Chibnall is a crap writer, but Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and the one episode with the cubes were at least functional episodes of Doctor Who. The length is certainly a problem; trim this episode down 15 or 20 minutes and you'd see an improvement for sure. Every single scene goes on too long.

What if instead of a lovely-looking motorcycle chase we used that time to have the Doctor have a heated conversation with the bad guy, so we might learn more about him than "he's Jeff Bezos and knows aliens?" You know, the only type of scene that Doctor Who is consistently good at? And it would be nice to have Jodie Whittaker do something more than spout technobabble and make tired quips. Also, why is Yaz, who had just had a mildly traumatizing experience being zapped into Alien Forest Zone, laughing and quipping about being shot at in said motorcycle chase? Is this what we get for asking for more Yaz content?

I forgot how bad that miniature spinning Tardis looks. At least the aliens look neat, and Sacha Dhawan is having fun. But this still feels like a one-series show another channel would pump out to compete against Doctor Who.

What I find interesting about Chibnall Who is that the plots and the general tone all seem spot on and refreshing but the actual line by line, page by page writing is loving dire. I can't recall a single memorable line or moment from 13, compared to Moffat and Davis who for all their faults would manage one or two an episode.

In a way he has the exact opposite problem than both of them had.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Which kind of shows that the best episodes are the ones he oversees but doesn't write.

Chibnail needs a good writing team to really work. Moffatt needed a better director.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

What I find interesting about Chibnall Who is that the plots and the general tone all seem spot on and refreshing but the actual line by line, page by page writing is loving dire. I can't recall a single memorable line or moment from 13, compared to Moffat and Davis who for all their faults would manage one or two an episode.

In a way he has the exact opposite problem than both of them had.

The essence of what is happening is tolerable, but it is poorly conveyed. That's the vibe I got from the last series, with the exception of Demons of the Punjab.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
So as someone who wanted to give 13 a chance but was turned off by all the boring and political b.s. , does this episode mark a turn back to what made most of 9,10, and 11 so good or should give this a pass?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
If by that you mean that you're upset that the doctor is a woman now, and there are too many non-white characters then no, you're not going to get your white men show back this series.

Re: An Adventure In Time And Space, there's that Matt Smith cameo at the end that at the time I thought was dreadful and cheesy, but now has me wondering what the Master was doing working at the BBC in the 60s.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Imagine crying that scifi is "political."

It was definitely a better adventure than we had most of last season though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I scrolled down this thread and ruined the reveal for myself so that sucks. Didn't really care for the episode sadly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mr.Flibble posted:

So as someone who wanted to give 13 a chance but was turned off by all the boring and political b.s. ,

:jerkbag:

The show has issues, but Jodie and the cast are not among them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Matt Smith's second episode was about how British Society is built on the back of terrible suffering and our leaders encourage our complacency and complicity.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sorry, just blurted that out apropos of nothing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oooooooo, Davos in Iron Fist, that's where I know Sacha Dhawan from. It was bugging me the whole episode. There were definitely some shaky bits, like the motor cycle chase which seemed to be there because Bond movies have car chases, but there wasn't much thought out into beyond that. I had a feeling O wasn't who he said he was because spy movie, but I did not catch onto the reveal until about the time the Doctor did. Reveal good, episode, not bad!

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
What part of "I wanted to give 13 a chance" translates to I hate that the Doctor is woman now , and yes I understand the Doctor Who sometimes gets political and all not political episodes are bad( Remembrance of the Daleks is still one of my favorites) , but last season had way too many agenda driven stories, was way too your face about it, and was boring on top of it all!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
"Agenda driven" isn't exactly helping your case.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Flibble posted:

What part of "I wanted to give 13 a chance" translates to I hate that the Doctor is woman now , and yes I understand the Doctor Who sometimes gets political and all not political episodes are bad( Remembrance of the Daleks is still one of my favorites) , but last season had way too many agenda driven stories, was way too your face about it, and was boring on top of it all!

Could you define "agenda driven" real quick? I wanna know if you're a tremendous bigot or if you're just dumb.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

jivjov posted:

Could you define "agenda driven" real quick? I wanna know if you're a tremendous bigot or if you're just dumb.

We've had an episodes devoted to hating on Donald Trump and Amazon just to name couple, but of course I'm a bigot/dumb because I dare disagree with direction the show is going right now, grow up!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Flibble posted:

direction the show is going right now

Its been going that direction since 1963.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
On the topic of "people who haven't been paying attention to Doctor Who for 50+ years", I present this pearl-clutching dumbass:

https://twitter.com/BestDrWho/status/1212060259327590400?s=20

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It was... an episode. I'll let After the War give the more eloquent version of our thoughts.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I believe in a hopeful and optimistic vision of the future. I believe that is possible that one day, perhaps many years from now that Yaz may do or be tangentially involved in something remotely interesting or display anything resembling a character.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
"Oh he's the founder of Vore"

I love Michelle Gomez to death but I'm weirdly charmed by the new Master so far, he's kind of sexy?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
great reveal, good opener.

Did people really diskike last year all that much? there were at least 4 great episodes off the top of my head.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I thought the last series was good, but not great. It didn't hit the lows of the worst bits of the RTD and Moffat eras, but didn't hit the highs of their best stuff either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I love a good Master reveal. As soon as I saw the cabin flying beside the plane, I figured it out and lost my poo poo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Mr.Flibble posted:

We've had an episodes devoted to hating on Donald Trump and Amazon just to name couple, but of course I'm a bigot/dumb because I dare disagree with direction the show is going right now, grow up!

As I recall, the Amazon episode came down firmly on the side of Amazon

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I enjoyed the episode, interested to see how they pick up all the threads.

Sad to see the end of the Aussies :australia:

Is the shrunken O alive or dead in the matchbox? Did Yaz get her DNA changed?

Also, wasn’t expecting the reveal. Was kind of hoping to see the previous incarnation again. Somehow.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mooseontheloose posted:

Did people really diskike last year all that much? there were at least 4 great episodes off the top of my head.

Most people were lukewarm to positive, I think. Myself, I thought it was the second-worst series in the show's history after Colin Baker's first.

In any other season stuff like Demons of the Punjab would be a minor classic, a treat that you don't remember until it comes back up. When it's the best you got, you're in trouble.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mooseontheloose posted:

General consensus last year seemed to be that the main cast were really good with great chemistry, Whittaker was great, but the stories and the season overall were just kind of okay to good with a couple of standouts (like It Takes You Away), and that Chibnall shouldn't write too many of the episodes and just concentrate on being the showrunner.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

marktheando posted:

I thought the last series was good, but not great. It didn't hit the lows of the worst bits of the RTD and Moffat eras, but didn't hit the highs of their best stuff either.

To use a pro-wrestling analogy: Chibnall is the Randy Orton of Who producers. Never gonna give you a total mess like Love & Monsters, but not ambitious enough to risk failing and give you something like Midnight or Heaven Sent either.

He's also weirdly bad at scale, too. Say what you will about how goofy RTD's "THERE'S A MILLION BAJILLION DALEKS AND THEY'RE GONNA SNUFF OUT ALL STARS IN THE UNIVERSE" style stuff was, it at least felt properly grandiose. Chibnall's attempts always feel oddly like a local theatre group trying to do a Broadway musical.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 2, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
makin a face like the new master right now

eeeeeee

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thrawn527 posted:

I love a good Master reveal. As soon as I saw the cabin flying beside the plane, I figured it out and lost my poo poo.

:same:

I started going "What? No. WHAT? NO! :haw:" while my wife is trying to figure out why I'm losing my poo poo

e: Sacha Dhawan is going full on giggling lunatic Master too, I approve

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 2, 2020

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You know, I realised after 10 minutes that I really don't need to see any more of these interchangeable piles of explosions in which the Doctor is a world-famous superhero who's being called on and given missions as OUR PLANET'S ONLY SAVIOUR by ALL THE WORLD'S GOVERNMENTS AT ONCE. I'll be back for episode 3, I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm super pleased that the Master's first action was to swap the pilot with a gigantic bomb.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

I'm super pleased that the Master's first action was to swap the pilot with a gigantic bomb.

"Cockpit bomb!"

I got no skin in this game so I enjoyed him going straight to Saturday morning cackling villainy

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

hoping part two resolves some of the outstanding mysteries elegantly, but for now I'm glad the messy archrival who lives for drama is back

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Loved how they are all out of the porch drinking iced tea while two bodies rot in the sun nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I grinned during the reveal.
Enjoyed the episode.

Jodie's not my favourite Dr but she's alright. The multiple companions tends to make each of them feel less impactful unlike previous companion Dr teamups, but at least there isn't a Dr companion romantic subplot.