Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Stunt Rock posted:

Honestly the Timeless Child twist isn't all that different from what Moffatt gave us with Matt Smith, where The Doctor was the most important and precious person in the entire universe and we were constantly being reminded of that at all times.

That's funny because I was always under the impression that Moff was telling us that Amy Pond/Clara Oswald was the most important and precious person in the entire universe, which is probably what ended up making me and others absolutely loathe their characters after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They were important because of an accident of birth or a special destiny, whereas the Doctor was special because of all the stuff he's done. Different kinds of insufferable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Moffat is so obsessed with people being super special and important that I kind of get the impression that his parents never told him that they loved him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Rhyno posted:

Moffat is so obsessed with people being super special and important that I kind of get the impression that his parents never told him that they loved him.

To say nothing of his obvious issues with women.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't even want to go down that rabbit hole.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I always got the idea that Moffat has a whole bunch of ingrained misogyny, but doesn't want to be sexist himself. When he's written a woman that he clearly wants to be a specific kind of strong female character he's fine, but when he's just writing a woman on autopilot a bunch of low-grade misogyny leaks in.

It's why Bill was a really good character across the board. Her being a black lesbian meant that Moffat was never able to lapse into those habits.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/dalekium/status/1235352605779546112

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's funny because I was always under the impression that Moff was telling us that Amy Pond/Clara Oswald was the most important and precious person in the entire universe, which is probably what ended up making me and others absolutely loathe their characters after a while.

They were important in that they were friends with the main character of the show, I guess

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just finished watching the last two episodes and I'm a little disappointed. I was quite interested in the idea that a lot of what the Dr. thought about the time lords was a lie but it feels like they flubbed the landing. I know they could easily do away with it all by saying something like it wasn't the real Gallifrey or Matrix and the Master set it all up to mess with the Dr. because that's what the Master does but I'm still very "eh" over it all. Still maybe next time will be different.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

it became pretty clear that RTD was increasingly more worried about delivering "moments" instead of stories with a cohesive narrative.

I've been trying to think why I liked pre-2005 Dr Who more than 2005- Dr Who and I think that's the reason, the story had more space to breath it wasn't contained within 40 mins. I know we'll never go back to stories being told over 4 to 6 25 minute episodes and that's a shame.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

bessantj posted:

I've been trying to think why I liked pre-2005 Dr Who more than 2005- Dr Who and I think that's the reason, the story had more space to breath it wasn't contained within 40 mins. I know we'll never go back to stories being told over 4 to 6 25 minute episodes and that's a shame.

Oh, that's very much a part of it for me, too. Yes, there absolutely is a lot of padding in several of the classic series' stories, but I'm fine with that. It's almost comforting in a way.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Can you imagine a female Doctor written by Moffat? I'm trying not to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

marktheando posted:

Can you imagine a female Doctor written by Moffat? I'm trying not to.

Didn't Moff create River?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

And Missy, and Clara. And Bill!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

And you know what, Amy had her weaker moments and moments where she was written as an agency-free sexy lamp, but she also ruled at times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was implying that River was just a lady Doctor.

And so was Clara by the end.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Moff create River?

Exactly my point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

And so was Clara by the end.

Those credits were a great troll.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Matinee posted:

I wish Jack had gone back in time to warn me not to watch that episode.

Jack going back in time to tell me not to watch the episode and instead taking me out to dinner would've been nice, yes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Jack going back in time to tell me not to watch the episode and instead taking me out to dinner would've been nice, yes.

Oh yes, that would have been far preferable. I’m all coy and pretending this is a chore I’m putting up with, yet enjoying every moment.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Usually I don't like mashups, but I enjoyed this more than the finale.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Usually I don't like mashups, but I enjoyed this more than the finale.

I’ve had root canals I enjoyed more than that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I give it a "I've heard worse."/10

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1235550142733967360

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A photo of the BF lunch:

https://twitter.com/tuckerspatch/status/1235576983645343749?s=20

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are we all generally of the opinion that Jodie will leave after next series or keep going? If she does, it will certainly be an interesting 3 years.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Harlock posted:

Are we all generally of the opinion that Jodie will leave after next series or keep going? If she does, it will certainly be an interesting 3 years.

I want her to keep going but I don't think there have been any statements.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I would like jodie to outlast chibnall tbh

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bessantj posted:

Just finished watching the last two episodes and I'm a little disappointed. I was quite interested in the idea that a lot of what the Dr. thought about the time lords was a lie but it feels like they flubbed the landing. I know they could easily do away with it all by saying something like it wasn't the real Gallifrey or Matrix and the Master set it all up to mess with the Dr. because that's what the Master does but I'm still very "eh" over it all. Still maybe next time will be different.

Gallifrey and the Time Lords are getting ti the point where they're like Kryptonians in comic books.

Next thing you know there's gonna be a secret picket of Time Lords in time universe who also ran away and just wanted to be left alone or something.

Or maybe a pocket of them left as a contingency with their memories blocked in case they were wiped out and needed to be reactivated to revive Gallifrey.

Or hell, maybe the Daleks decided to keep a small colony to use for experimentation are figuring out anti- Time Lord counter measures.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

CommonShore posted:

I want her to keep going but I don't think there have been any statements.
No statements but just sort of the unofficial three series limit everyone has hit so far

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I would like jodie to outlast chibnall tbh

I just want Jodie to have at least one objectively good season because the inevitable “we told you, JodieDoc’s run was bad BeCaUsE sHe’S a WoMaN!” narrative is going to be so loving tiring. I mean it’s already present of course, but the writing hasn’t done any favors to quiet it.

It’s been extremely disheartening these last few years to watch my sister get really excited at having female characters take prominent positions in big genre franchises, only to eventually become disillusioned because the fandom turns hateful and toxic in response.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Harlock posted:

I'd like her to stick around, but I'm resigned to the idea that 3 seasons seems to be the max we can expect now.

That said, Tennant technically lasted longer since he did the Year of Specials, so if Jodie does 4 more of those holiday specials and we keep to the current schedule then she'll be around another 5 years!
:negative:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hey, Doctor Who thread it's been... what, about a year? Super excited to get back into discussing episodes as the air in real time, looking forwa-

How's that? The season's over? Are you sure, it's like, March? Oh. I see. Well, nevermind, see you all in 2022!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want Jodie to have at least one objectively good season because the inevitable “we told you, JodieDoc’s run was bad BeCaUsE sHe’S a WoMaN!” narrative is going to be so loving tiring. I mean it’s already present of course, but the writing hasn’t done any favors to quiet it.

It’s been extremely disheartening these last few years to watch my sister get really excited at having female characters take prominent positions in big genre franchises, only to eventually become disillusioned because the fandom turns hateful and toxic in response.

Don't read too much into it. The dislike of bad writing is pretty much universal.

They've wasted perfectly good male lead actors in the past, of course they'll waste perfectly good female leads too.

Basically Chris Chibnall is Uwe Boll with a taxpayer slush fund. Blame starts at the top.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Hey, Doctor Who thread it's been... what, about a year? Super excited to get back into discussing episodes as the air in real time, looking forwa-

How's that? The season's over? Are you sure, it's like, March? Oh. I see. Well, nevermind, see you all in 2022!

Ahahaha you think it's going to be that soon

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Gallifrey and the Time Lords are getting ti the point where they're like Kryptonians in comic books.

Next thing you know there's gonna be a secret picket of Time Lords in time universe who also ran away and just wanted to be left alone or something.

Or maybe a pocket of them left as a contingency with their memories blocked in case they were wiped out and needed to be reactivated to revive Gallifrey.

Or hell, maybe the Daleks decided to keep a small colony to use for experimentation are figuring out anti- Time Lord counter measures.

I suppose, much like comics, after 50 odd years of stories the Time Lords are going to have changed greatly and in ways that don't make a lot of sense. I don't mind some of it, I really liked the idea of the Celestial Intervention Agency because it's such a Time Lord thing to suggest they have to police all of time. But some of it makes me think "what the hell is that!?"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bessantj posted:

I suppose, much like comics, after 50 odd years of stories the Time Lords are going to have changed greatly and in ways that don't make a lot of sense. I don't mind some of it, I really liked the idea of the Celestial Intervention Agency because it's such a Time Lord thing to suggest they have to police all of time. But some of it makes me think "what the hell is that!?"

(this is partly for the benefit of people who don't know what the CIA in Doctor Who is - also I wrote this badly)

In the extended universe the CIA went up their own rear end during an earlier (by linear time) time war with the "enemy". They basically understood the consequences of two hostile historical processes in the one universe and panicked, removed themselves from time itself and went rogue from Gallifrey to set themselves up like gods slightly outside the universe who needed worship to basically continue existence. Theoretically this would make them immune to the time war fallout and ensure their survival.

What happened? As you can imagine they weren't the nicest of people. The doctor used a small fleet of self aware war-TARDIS (after convincing the "bull" of the TARDIS herd to help him) to sever the CIA's reality bubble from the rest of the universe. They were then immediately devoured by something akin to a Fendahl.

Source: The Taking Of Planet 5 (if I remember the name right)

So in essence, yes I agree with you. The concept of the CIA is fantastic because you can make them into whatever your narrative needs and the time war situation makes consistency more of a concept than an obtainable target. In the OG time war (not that basic bitch dalek one) covered by the 8th Doctor's novels there was so much similar great material to draw from.

What was the "enemy"? That's a hard one. A hostile historical process where even naming the enemy was akin to acknowledging it's right to exist and therefore something that strengthened them and thus to be avoided at all costs. It was very meta. Doctor Who nerds you'll get this - the "enemy" had their own web of time which is why they were such a problem for the Time Lords to fight.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 6, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DancingShade posted:

The doctor used a small fleet of self aware war-TARDIS (after convincing the "bull" of the TARDIS herd to help him) to sever the CIA's reality bubble from the rest of the universe. They were then immediately devoured by something akin to a Fendahl.

It's damning with faint praise but reading this makes me think the Timeless Child stuff wasn't quite as bad as it could have been :sweatdrop:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DancingShade posted:

You read the sequel? It's on my to do list but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Or possibly ever.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

DancingShade posted:

(this is partly for the benefit of people who don't know what the CIA in Doctor Who is - also I wrote this badly)

In the extended universe the CIA went up their own rear end during an earlier (by linear time) time war with the "enemy". They basically understood the consequences of two hostile historical processes in the one universe and panicked, removed themselves from time itself and went rogue from Gallifrey to set themselves up like gods slightly outside the universe who needed worship to basically continue existence. Theoretically this would make them immune to the time war fallout and ensure their survival.

What happened? As you can imagine they weren't the nicest of people. The doctor used a small fleet of self aware war-TARDIS (after convincing the "bull" of the TARDIS herd to help him) to sever the CIA's reality bubble from the rest of the universe. They were then immediately devoured by something akin to a Fendahl.

So in essence, yes I agree with you. The concept of the CIA is fantastic because you can make them into whatever your narrative needs and the time war situation makes consistency more of a concept than an obtainable target. In the OG time war (not that basic bitch dalek one) covered by the 8th Doctor's novels there was so much similar great material to draw from.

What was the "enemy"? That's a hard one. A hostile historical process where even naming the enemy was akin to acknowledging it's right to exist and therefore something that strengthened them and thus to be avoided at all costs. It was very meta. Doctor Who nerds you'll get this - the "enemy" had their own web of time which is why they were such a problem for the Time Lords to fight.

Wow, that all sounds like absolute garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Who expanded universe is often times even worse than the worst episode of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rhyno posted:

The Who expanded universe is often times even worse than the worst episode of the show.

It's something better experienced through other people telling you about it second-hand, most of the time. It at least tapers down the insanity and keeps it brief.