Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Voting Floater posted:

For some reason I'd had it in mind (at least until the Doctor didn't recognise them) that the aliens might be the Voord, since their shape was sort-of similar

That was my thinking too. I'm not sure it makes much sense in context, other than the Master was last seen in a Cybermen story, and the Voord/Marinus are cyber-adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

With the Mars connection and similarity to the Racnoss, I wonder if we’re supposed to possibly think that their hive formed the core of what would become Mars ala the Racnoss with Earth.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

There are a lot of ways that this could so that I could be fine with, some more preferable than others:

1. Alternate reality shenanigans.
2. Go all in on one of the branch Doctors, i.e. Valeyard, Metacrisis, etc.. If Chibs can somehow bring sense and order to the Valeyard, the Watcher, etc., he'll have my utmost respect.
3. Pre-Hartnell Doctors. I prefer this one the least, and I'm not really sure it's making much sense with what we're given. Main point being the phone box, rather than the default Tardis look.

I wonder if it could be a "broken time" issue. Something in the old days of Gallifrey forced them to "reset" everything, so time rewound and gave them all a do over. Some side effect was that the Doctor lived a completely different life. So while technically it *is* pre-Hartnell, it's from an alternate take of the timeline. This Doctor is just a brief window into that time. Bonus if at the end of all this, Ruth Doctor turns into The Watcher. That backstory for that being doesn't really track with the Fourth Doctor having some sense of what it was, but it could still work.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

mehall posted:

I don't like that theory, because the only reason to bury the TARDIS is if it's stuck as a police box, which means it's post Hartnell.

This could still be worked around. We've been told it's *stuck* in that appearance, but if this is a cycle pre-Hartnell, perhaps it's the Doctor subconsciously switching it back to the appearance it had once before. FWIW, we also don't definitively know that it's the same Tardis, just that it looks similar.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

As in our Doctor, or 13 specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I mentioned it before but Barrowman was injured a while back, maybe that's why he couldn't come back this season?

Timing seems a little off on that, it was very late November I think.

He seems to be doing better and is continuing to work in the UK currently, so hopefully that bodes well to him having a bigger part next season.