Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lol the Moffat Gatiss dracula thing is on at 9

I really love the visuals in the current opening credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Wait... Part 1?

Part 2 is on Sunday and then I don't know

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Come on chibnall we already did the evil satnav thing

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I sold Lenny Henry some records once, he's very nice IRL

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is Yaz going to leave? Seems like they are setting that up.

Edit- wait when did the Doctor meet this MI6 jabroni?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lol I'm always down for the reveal that some character is actually The Master.

Was the character actually in a past episode? I don't remember him.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, you might be recalling that Sacha Dhawan (the new Master) played Waris Hussain in An Adventure In Time & Space.

Oh poo poo, of course. I knew he looked familiar but couldn't place him in a Doctor Who episode.

People on twitter saying that this Master has to be in between Simm and Gomez since Missy died with her ability to regenerate suspended, they are obviously unfamiliar with the Master's ability to repeatedly come back from definitely being 100% killed for good this time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I haven't been paying attention to spoilers and leaks, was the Master returning known about beforehand?

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor will never know that she actually did get through to the Gomez-Master, and somehow I'm sure that fact just makes the current Master absolutely giddy with delight :allears:

Yeah this is a good reason for it being a post-Gomez regeneration.

Also I like that the Time Lords in the classic series seemed to all operate on the same "present day" so I hope they maintain that and have the Doctor and Master at the same age.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I thought the last series was good, but not great. It didn't hit the lows of the worst bits of the RTD and Moffat eras, but didn't hit the highs of their best stuff either.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Man this thread is really quiet. Did everyone give up watching after the last series?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I remember Sacha Dhawan in post-apocalyptic series The Last Train, which also had Nicola Walker/Liv Chenka.

It occurs to me that in both this story and the last, they mention UNIT being defunct. By dint of calling attention to this, it means these would otherwise have been UNIT stories.

Well on the one hand I want UNIT, on the other hand modern UNIT is kind of poo poo. Especially Kate "my father" Stewart.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Moffat’s problem was that he kept going back to the exact same wells time and time again and each revisit was shittier than the last.

His first and last series were really good!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was pretty good but I'm annoyed that they killed Gallifrey again. We get like one story with the Time Lords back and then we are back to the revival status quo. And this dark secret of the Time Lords storyline sounds like some The Other poo poo.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Buml0r posted:

So, I've really really enjoyed these last two episodes, after finding myself pretty bored for a lot of the last series. It feels like the Doctor Who I like watching is back. I'm very happy about that.

But, also, I'm feeling really weird about that bit where The Doctor, off of Doctor Who, dobbed-in a POC to 1940s nazis and then flew away, and the next time we saw that POC, he described having had to escape from... what sounded to me like concentration camps.

Is that not the single biggest "but that character, and this series, would never do that" moment in the whole show so far? Shouldn't someone, be it Chibnall or whoever directed it, or the producers, someone, have said no, we're not doing that?

It feels pretty cleanly like something they shouldn't have done, but I'm seeing very little mention of it here or on twitter, so I'm starting to doubt myself, like I just didn't understand what happened. Maybe I'm just so used to every little thing being savaged on social media, and it's actually not a bad thing for a popular scifi property to put a foot wrong without a massive backlash... but I'm not sure this time. When I have found discussions of it (which I've had to search for), I've seen people say "the way I interpreted it, the Doctor just removed the layer of trickery that was making nazis think he was their boss," and then other people go "I mean, maybe, but it seemed to me like she removed the filter that made them see him as aryan," and the discussion stops there. But like, that comment he made when he turned up near the end. "The 20th century has been hard to live through. The places I've had to escape from." She got him sent to the camps, right? Didn't she?

It's really making me feel weird about this episode. Not in a "I'm cross with them" way (until I'm sure), more in a "hang on, SURELY not" way. Like if one of the main characters had randomly had their genitals fully visible for a whole scene or something, and all that happened afterwards was a couple of people on twitter went "odd decision, oh well" and left it at that.

Edit - I like the idea above that the Master just immediately killed the nazis and got away, but... even if I'm interpreting his speech wrong, the Doctor did still do it and I suppose I just think that's... alarmingly out of character? Perhaps I'm just feeling weird because I told a Jewish friend of a friend who was wondering whether to get back into the series that the new year episode was really good...

He’s the Master.

Vinylshadow posted:

Aren't we supposed to be getting an episode centered around the Holocaust this series?

That's gonna be a fun minefield to navigate - or did people hear rumors of World War II and immediately said HOLOCAUST while it's just some Nazis showing up here?

I think people just assumed that from finding out Noor Inayat Khan was going to be in an episode, since she died in a concentration camp IRL.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

As a jewish person watching this the only thing that struck me as off was the way she delivered "they'll see you as you REALLY are" when she removed the perception filter. That's what you say to the villain when you make their allies see them as the conniving evil person they are, not when you make racists see them as a person who appears to not be white - I mean the Master isn't even actually an Indian man, he's a Time Lord.

(spoilered for more discussion of the holocaust than would normally happen in the space adventure thread) To my knowledge they wouldn't have sent him to a concentration camp anyway though, probably just a regular prison camp. They weren't systematically exterminating anyone other than roma and jews, even if they were persecuting/imprisoning other groups.

I think you are confusing concentration camps and death camps. Death camps like Treblinka were where everyone was killed on arrival, they were for extermination only. Concentration camps were the “regular prison camps” for the Nazis. Auschwitz functioned as both, it was technically two camps.

And they absolutely sent spies, political prisoners, regular criminals, and homosexuals to concentration camps, as well as Jews, Jehovahs witnesses, Freemasons, and Roma. (Horrifying fact- gay people weren’t exactly liberated from the concentration camps, they were moved to regular prisons and made to serve the remainder of their sentences).

Noor from this episode was shot to death in Dachau concentration camp like a year after the episode takes place.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I couldn't sleep last night so I spent lots of time looking at stupid Doctor Who opinions and videos on the internet. Fans seem to be split on the new Master, between

1. People that like him
2. People that don't like him
3. People that hate Whitaker and will take any excuse to poo poo on the show
4. People that hate Chibnall and will take any excuse to poo poo on the show
5. People who are upset that Missy's character development has been apparently rejected
6. People who are certain he must be a pre-Missy Master because she died permanently (lol) and also turned good permanently (lol)
7. Shippers who have resumed making Doctor/Master videos
8. Racists (high overlap with 2, 3 and 4)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think they can very easily say that when Missy died she was indeed good. But when the Master was resurrected his many lifetimes of being an evil dick overpowered the goodness Missy was trying to embrace.

It's also possible that learning the dark secret of the time lords made the Master turn heel again.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The dark secret is that they eat their toast butter side down.

hosed up if true.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I re-watched Whittakers first episode last night, I forgot how cool and competent Yaz is. Please give her something to do.

As far as reversing Moffat goes, I'm glad the Master is evil again, but not glad Gallifrey is destroyed again. Surely someone has an interesting story to tell set there.

I've kind of come round to agreeing with the people that say the Doctor abandoning the Master to the mercies of the SS, taking advantage of him being South Asian in appearance and framing him for being a spy, in an episode featuring a guest star South Asian historical figure who was tortured and murdered by the Nazis for being a spy, is in poor taste.

But basically yeah I still really enjoyed the two parter. And lol at people complaining about the Master being overused and saying he shouldn't be back so soon. I want the Master in every story this series like it's loving 1972.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SiKboy posted:

I very nearly forgot it was on this week!

I did forget until reading the last two posts!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I enjoyed that while I was watching, and was waiting for all the disparate plot points to come together, but they never did. A mess. Not a good episode.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Well I think it's horrible.

I don't think the message the Doctor gives should overwrite what others have written about how time travel works... It was such a shoe horned message that absolutely failed to carry any weight for the audience watching. It was heavy handed without any emotional stakes attached. She was just talking at us and at the same time breaking the convention of time travel within the show.

As a joke I now want to see an entire episode and then the Doctor looks a the screen at the end and says "It was about abortion".

This show has three different versions of the fate of Atlantis, time travel works the way it needs to work for the story. It doesn't matter.

Dabir posted:

congratulations on managing to forget kill the moon

Kill the moon was never about abortion lol. Abortion is not a big political issue in the UK like it is in the states, only a small minority of fringe religious nuts want to change abortion laws.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Apart from having two hearts and being able to regenerate, the respiratory bypass is the only time lord ability the writers usually remember, comes up quite a lot in classic and new who.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn’t there a 5 story where he survives the vacuum of space with basically no equipment?

I think so. I want to say that happens in Caves of Androzani. The main one I remember is 4 using it to survive being strangled by a mummy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

juche avocado posted:

Even worse than murdering the guy in — ugh — Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (might be misremembering the episode that happens in?)

That guy had it coming.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gravastars posted:

Really absolutely she is.

Absolutely not. The old lady's acting was completely ok, nothing wrong with it. None of that episode's problems were to do with any of the actors.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I hope todays episode is good but the title doesn't fill me with confidence.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A good episode. No classic, but good and a big improvement from last week's mess.

SiKboy posted:

I know a little bit about tesla (I teach physics), and when my first thought in the episode is "Considering he didnt move to the US until he was in his 20s, thats a hell of an accent he doesnt have...", I am very worried I am going to be unable to stop nit-picking it.

Both actor and character moved to the US from the former Yugoslavia at about the same age :shrug:

Also I thought Tesla looked familiar but I totally didn't place him as Goran Višnjić, AKA Dr Kovač from ER

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I have a slight nit pick. How did Tesla and companion go from their workshop to the orient express? That part was a bit wonky for me. "We're here now".

I thought they had just shortcutted TARDIS travelling but then it later shows Tesla going into the TARDIS for the first time.

I think that was just a normal train

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm still slightly tempted to watch Dracula even though I've read the spoilers about how terrible it is, and I've seen how bad Moffat can get with both Doctor Who and Sherlock. Can it really be as bad as it sounds?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

There's a part in episode 3 where I was just sitting gaping at the screen because I literally could not believe how bad the writing was. It is astonishing.

First spoiler for end of episode 2/start of episode 3 Dracula gets trapped underwater for a century and only gets out and walks onto land in the year 2020, second spoiler for the bit mentioned above A weird medical research facility using armed mercenaries funded by a shadowy organization captures Dracula and puts him in an inescapable cage. He proceeds to figure out what wifi is and breaks the password (it's "dracula") and skypes with a lawyer who shows up and... they just let him in and he tells them to let Dracula go or he'll call the police so they.... just let him go and then gently caress off and play no further part in the entire story and Dracula just casually sets up an apartment and starts hanging out in London.

What I wrote in the above doesn't even come close to how loving stupid it is seeing it happen.

Like, they legit have the following conversation:

Lawyer: Has Count Dracula committed any crimes?
Shadowy Research Lab Lady: None we can admit to.
Lawyer: Then you gotta let him out. You gotta.

Incredible.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

The Doctor going from "Don't kill them, we need to know what they are" to "we're going to blow them all up" was a bit of a trip

How so? By the time the plan becomes 'blow them all up' I think the Doctor had given them enough of a chance.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I'm sceptical about where this might be going, but the episode was good as I was watching it. I'll wait and see if they pull off the conclusion.

Definitely feels like an alternative Doctor and not a proper one with the screwdriver thing and the horn removal. With Gallifrey still being apparently around, and the other time lady also seeming militaristic I'm definitely leaning to an alternative timeline. The mysterious client has to be the Master right? Him somehow breaking the universe with whatever he did on Gallifrey seems very in character. Maybe he went back to gallifrey's foundation and took over, creating a new timeline, with it only being destroyed in our original timeline?

There being a secret pre-Hartnell Doctor is also something I really don't want.

Oh and I've just realised there being two Doctors was another reason Jack couldn't lock on to her.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

There’s a theory on Twitter that she’s between the 2nd and 3rd Doctors on account of never actually seeing that regeneration.

But 2 had a sonic

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

Could the alternative doctor that went to alternate universe with Rose regenerate? Not that I think it would be that.

Nope

Senor Tron posted:

I would be totally fine if the rest of the season just got increasingly batshit with new Doctors from all these alternate possibilities being introduced in each episode at a rapidly increasing pace.

After this aggressive, violent alt-Doctor the next alt-Doctor should be from a timeline where the Doctor became extremely chill and easy going and doesn't want to do very much

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah this Doctor seems actually about as nonviolent as our usual one, what with the whole "the Doctor doesn't use weapons" "I know" exchange, but she's certainly more... militaristic? Less cheerful. Reads more to me like she may have split off around 8 rather than at a much earlier regeneration.

Ripping off the Judoon's horn was a bit much though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SimplyCosmic posted:

Ruth would totally have the 3rd Doctor's approval for her martial arts takedowns.

3 would never mutilate someone for fun

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jeffe posted:

We're all loving the looms idea

I definitely am not loving the looms idea.

Jeffe posted:

I get the feeling there was some major war pre-Hartnell, just a feeling since the guy was proud enough to want to keep his medal. The only one mentioned ever was against the vampires, and I can't remember if that's a book-only thing.

The Time Lords war against the Vampires is from State of Decay.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jeffe posted:

Honestly I don't care about them, I just always loved the idea of the "Other" itself, especially since it was in relation to McCoy's Doctor, who was the greatest one until Smith...fight me. On the surface requires the looms, but there could certainly be other explanations to invent. All three (The Doc, Omega, and R-Dawg) could not remember who they were before, anything really.

I should really stop polluting my mind with ideas from the two book ranges though, something new could always be better, and I think in the end they tried to say the Time Lords (or at least the Doctors) were really sentient crystals modeled after the Doctor and stuff, so whatever, that all got pretty nutty, and I doubt Chibnall would be aware of all that. Or, we could debate where Ruth fits in with the events of The Infinity Doctors :D

Well as well as the "Timelords don't gently caress" aspect of looms, I strongly dislike the idea that the Doctor is somehow special or different from other Time Lords from birth so this better not go anywhere close to The Other. The Doctor is special because of their actions and choices, not because of some special destiny or being the reincarnation of some dude or whatever.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now that I’ve finally seen the episode, I’m going to bet on the theory that Ruth is a Doc between 2 and 3. The way she’s hiding on Earth, how she describes the job she has but didn’t sign up for, how the Time Lords have put a bounty out for her capture. Maybe the 2nd Doc was on a mission as an agent for the Time Lords, he’s killed, then the newly regenerated RuthDoc decides to use this opportunity to try and hide from them. Then, after whatever is going to happen this season happens, the Time Lords wipe the Doctor’s memory and dump 3 and his TARDIS in a field.

If she's after 2 she should know what a sonic screwdriver is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CommonShore posted:

YES

THE DOCTOR ARGUES WITH A MONKEY FOR 17 MINUTES AND THEN IT TURNED OUT THE MONKEY WAS ACTUALLY DEAD

Did you just spoil the new David Lynch netflix thing? I guess it's my fault for not watching it yet, but damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CommonShore posted:

No I didn't

Oh good.