Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who is a big fan of the Faction Paradox spin off novels and the unbound Doctor Who audio dramas (which for anyone unfamiliar are one-shot alternate continuities, basically a "what if" that frequently ends badly) I could care less about the current version of the TV show eating its own rear end with terrible continuity. It's just another unbound story, whatever. Continuity will get rebooted completely again at some point in the future so none of this will have a lasting impact other than maybe a footnote somewhere.

What people can't overlook however is garbage tier writing. It was getting worse every year, year on year and rather than reinvigorating or improving it this current mob is simply more of the same, albeit by people huffing their own farts and proud of it.

Quit watching entirely halfway through Capaldi's era after realising I was looking out for the "good" episode instead of wanting to watch them all. Don't see a reason I'd even try watching again until maybe a decade has passed and they've sorted themselves out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want Jodie to have at least one objectively good season because the inevitable “we told you, JodieDoc’s run was bad BeCaUsE sHe’S a WoMaN!” narrative is going to be so loving tiring. I mean it’s already present of course, but the writing hasn’t done any favors to quiet it.

It’s been extremely disheartening these last few years to watch my sister get really excited at having female characters take prominent positions in big genre franchises, only to eventually become disillusioned because the fandom turns hateful and toxic in response.

Don't read too much into it. The dislike of bad writing is pretty much universal.

They've wasted perfectly good male lead actors in the past, of course they'll waste perfectly good female leads too.

Basically Chris Chibnall is Uwe Boll with a taxpayer slush fund. Blame starts at the top.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bessantj posted:

I suppose, much like comics, after 50 odd years of stories the Time Lords are going to have changed greatly and in ways that don't make a lot of sense. I don't mind some of it, I really liked the idea of the Celestial Intervention Agency because it's such a Time Lord thing to suggest they have to police all of time. But some of it makes me think "what the hell is that!?"

(this is partly for the benefit of people who don't know what the CIA in Doctor Who is - also I wrote this badly)

In the extended universe the CIA went up their own rear end during an earlier (by linear time) time war with the "enemy". They basically understood the consequences of two hostile historical processes in the one universe and panicked, removed themselves from time itself and went rogue from Gallifrey to set themselves up like gods slightly outside the universe who needed worship to basically continue existence. Theoretically this would make them immune to the time war fallout and ensure their survival.

What happened? As you can imagine they weren't the nicest of people. The doctor used a small fleet of self aware war-TARDIS (after convincing the "bull" of the TARDIS herd to help him) to sever the CIA's reality bubble from the rest of the universe. They were then immediately devoured by something akin to a Fendahl.

Source: The Taking Of Planet 5 (if I remember the name right)

So in essence, yes I agree with you. The concept of the CIA is fantastic because you can make them into whatever your narrative needs and the time war situation makes consistency more of a concept than an obtainable target. In the OG time war (not that basic bitch dalek one) covered by the 8th Doctor's novels there was so much similar great material to draw from.

What was the "enemy"? That's a hard one. A hostile historical process where even naming the enemy was akin to acknowledging it's right to exist and therefore something that strengthened them and thus to be avoided at all costs. It was very meta. Doctor Who nerds you'll get this - the "enemy" had their own web of time which is why they were such a problem for the Time Lords to fight.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 6, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Some of the EDA range are legitimately good books. I can recommend:

- Alien Bodies by Lawrence Miles
- Unnatural History by Kate Orman
- Interference 1 & 2 by Lawrence Miles
- The Burning by Justin Richards
- The Turing Test by Paul Leonard
- Father Time by Lance Parkin
- The Year of Intelligent Tigers by Kate Orman
- The City of the Dead by Lloyd Rose[1]
- The Adventuress of Henrietta Street by Lawrence Miles[2]
- Anachrophobia by Jonathan Morris
- Trading Futures by Lance Parkin
- The Book of the Still by Paul Ebbs
- History 101 by Mags L. Halliday
- The Gallifrey Chronicles by Lance Parkin

Also, not explicitly an EDA, but featuring a never specificed incarnation of the Doctor (in theory made canon by The Timeless Children), The Infinity Doctors by Lance Parkin.

[1] Probably one of my favourite books ever. Set in New Orleans, it really captures the feel of the city well.
[2] written as a history text, the story is told through diary entries, letters, and personal accounts. Highly inventive.

This is a good list and I endorse it.

Read the "sensible" good stuff before you branch out into the "clearly on drugs" stuff.

The Shadows Of Avalon being my favorite on drugs Doctor Who novel. It has faeries, cannibalism and one of the Doctor's companions turns out to be a secret humanoid TARDIS. Plus the Brigadier.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 6, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Fortunately we'll always have the classic series with gems like the key to time. Hex-ology? Series? Well it was 6 discs in a box anyway.

At least until the BBC find a way to gently caress up reprinting old DVDs as well. Wouldn't put it past them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Like making the classic series Blu-ray sets in such limited numbers that most people struggle to get them?

They're so limited I didn't even know they were making them.

It's okay. Once the compulsory license fee gets abolished the BBC will be falling all over themselves to drive revenue and I'm sure they'll print what the market demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Yes but WHY WOMAN ON SHOW and all that.

But why a bland woman lead instead of a great woman lead, ie someone like Mary Tamm or Kate O'Mara. May they both rest in peace.

Actually it probably comes down to poo poo writing again.