Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The first Chibnall episode to get really exciting for me. I'm really into Doctor Ruth and like the idea that Doctor Who can go wild with canon,
but I hope it's going to have a satisfying character journey and somewhat of a logical answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
It's really useful to look at Doctor Who like a long-running DC or Marvel comics character: years of adventures that get retconned and changed to keep things fresh.
Some creative teams take big swings so they can recreate the character on their own terms, some don't. The characters become self-regulating organisms at one
point, if you introduce new elements, they're either embraced and stick around OR they get filtered out, with or without explanation.

I can always appreciate any writer that takes big swings but I thought what they did last night did not work at ALL. On one hand, it's BONKERS to see a big sci-fi show
that's splurging a lot of insane wilderness years-type of retcon straight on the screen. I almost applaud it! But man, you get 1/3rd of an episode with your heroine getting
the biggest secret of her life explained to her rather than finding out on her own.

It can't be underestimated how good the actors are at throwing all of this at us, though.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I wish Chibnall would concentrate on being the showrunner because it seems like he's really good at that aspect of it, and ESPECIALLY the casting side of things, but his writing outside of the first season of Broadchurch (which I think was probably something he poured every ounce of his soul into, nothing he's done before or since even approaches the quality of that 1st season) has never really blown anybody away and now he's writing or co-writing the majority of the episodes.

If you want to do some mad batshit bonkers stuff that doesn't make any goddamn sense but nobody cares because it's so good in the moment, let RTD write an episode! I'm still sad we never got an RTD episode written during the Moffat years, those two seemed to complement each other perfectly back when RTD was the showrunner.

From reading The Writers Tale (numerous times, I think it's one of the best books about making a living off your own creativity) it seems like he gave Who his all and decided to only write stuff he truly owns from now on, with an emphasis on his own perspective on the world. Would love to see him write Who again altough we get some sci-fi bits in Years and Years.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Yeah but that's just the showrunner. What makes it so brutal for the cast?

This is a pretty good thread from an american showrunner explaining how they end up
structuring scripts so it's not as brutal for a cast:

https://twitter.com/JeffLieber/status/1231248469798506497