Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad it's more ambitious than last season but I don't necessarily think that had to mean "Yet another enigmatic arc." Honestly parts of this felt repetitive- ANOTHER episode about phones-but-too-much, another episode where the companions are now hunted because the Master controls everything, a very Moffat-esque "we travelled in time to retroactively fix this" solution, and Gallifrey's gone again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This one was kinda overstuffed. Had the makings of a decent base-under-siege story but they just kept adding things.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, to be sure, NuWho has gone to the "resort planet and then everyone dies" well maybe just once too often. I probably would have overlooked that had the episode been well executed, but the story just fell apart.

Was this maybe supposed to be a two-parter at some point?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing time's broken, yeah, either as a deliberate result of whatever that "Timeless Child" thing is or whatever the Master did to Gallifrey.

Of course the more boring answer would be that this is some hidden past that was kept from the Doctor, so I hope it doesn't go that way. Not that incarnations pre-Hartnell means that much to me but it's just kinda eh.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So if you could only get Jack for one scene this season why the Hell NOT have him meet the new Doctor? What kinda tease is that?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Bill was good but I don't feel they did enough with her. Needed another season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I like that Yaz finally got things to do this episode.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is odd, I'm the one in the position of thinking it wasn't that bad when I expected to be the one arguing it wasn't that great.

The Big Twist doesn't actually bother me at all? Like if you wanna argue nature v nurture, the Doc did have her memory wiped of all that Division stuff and then decided she was bored and to steal a TARDIS with her granddaughter, etc. New person, clean slate, wasn't at all thinking about anything else.

Granted Ruth having a Police Box too is... weird. I dunno, may just be a coincidence.

But like that I don't mind, it's a weird wrinkle, the Doctor now doesn't really know where she's from or how she ended up here, there's some potential in that.

Also did not mind the "Cyber Time Lords" having silly hats and all, because OF COURSE the Master would do that.

Things I do mind, the climax being Parting of the Ways except instead of Rose it's some guy who's like "This is fine, I'm kinda actually responsible for all this, long story, just run". That was cheap (and you could see it happening because earlier he's like "Well I've lived a long time, I'm not expecting to survive this.")

Also things I mind, the Time Lords being all dead again. In the long term this... doesn't actually enhance the story much, like it was a thing for the Doctor to be shook by for a few episodes. Did kinda feel like Chibnall didn't like Moffat bringing Gallifrey back so he's like "No, gone again!" Granted this seems like it's more easily reversed, not from a plot perspective but from the perspective of this not really being as important as the Time War so undoing it would be no biggie.

(Also, HOW did the Master do all that? Like, yeah, he's a supervillain and has accomplished some big things, and it'd be hard to visualize this, but... seriously did he just flip a switch or something.)

And as much as I'm enjoying Sacha Dhawan, maybe making the whole infodump... an infodump was a problem.

I dunno, a lot of it was entertaining in the moment. Dhawan's performance, impeccable. The monster stuff, fine, there were a lot of cool scenes, but it lacks cohesion.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean the Doctor always came from a place of privilege. She was always from the aristocratic class, someone who could travel freely and not worry about money or work or having a place to sleep and could just go around and do things. It's sort of an archetype, the quaint English eccentric who can afford to be eccentric. She uses that power for good, absolutely, but part of her character has always been having this power of independence and using it to help the less fortunate.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Chibnall will invalidate this twist. He wants this to be the case. A LATER showrunner may well decide to do that, but that's a ways down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean a big part of this is that Who is essentially an anthology show with a different location, sets, supporting cast, etc. for each episode/story.