Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Voting Floater posted:

I'd also vote for this. I'll take weird over boring any day.

I will third this. Also, in a completely unrelated note, I just saw The Rise Of Skywalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

Who the gently caress called a loving search engine “Vore”?

"Vore is more powerful than most nations today"- A thing Stephen Fry said on worldwide TV in 2020.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do like that the Master decided to have his house/TARDIS fly purely to mock his past form.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

marktheando posted:

Lol I'm always down for the reveal that some character is actually The Master.

Was the character actually in a past episode? I don't remember him.

Nah, you might be recalling that Sacha Dhawan (the new Master) played Waris Hussain in An Adventure In Time & Space.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Even Gomez did it once where she shows up on a UNIT screen and goes something like "Long story short, not dead, back now, doesn't matter"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Minor point, but I sort of wish they hadn't had the line about UNIT and Torchwood in the episode. If you want the story to have Earth's governments being sceptical of aliens, fine, just don't mention it and let fans grumble online. This infection of checking off every possible thing that will have an incel nerd going "Um, actually..." has to stop. It basically killed Star Wars, I don't need it killing Who.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

marktheando posted:

I thought the last series was good, but not great. It didn't hit the lows of the worst bits of the RTD and Moffat eras, but didn't hit the highs of their best stuff either.

To use a pro-wrestling analogy: Chibnall is the Randy Orton of Who producers. Never gonna give you a total mess like Love & Monsters, but not ambitious enough to risk failing and give you something like Midnight or Heaven Sent either.

He's also weirdly bad at scale, too. Say what you will about how goofy RTD's "THERE'S A MILLION BAJILLION DALEKS AND THEY'RE GONNA SNUFF OUT ALL STARS IN THE UNIVERSE" style stuff was, it at least felt properly grandiose. Chibnall's attempts always feel oddly like a local theatre group trying to do a Broadway musical.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Between destroying Gallifrey and making the Master gleefully evil again Chibnail clearly decided he wasn't a fan of a lot of late game Moffat ideas.

And good for him, because Moffat clearly wasn't a fan on lots of Davis ideas and over ruled them too.

It does have the faint whiff of comic book retconning though. If all you do is undo the last person's story, then you never get around to telling your own. A much better strategy, in my eyes, is either to ignore what you don't want to deal with (which is SUPER easy with Who) or to "yes and" the last person's choices. Don't try to 'fix' them, use them as your springboard and build off them, because surely if you're better than the last guy, you can use their foundation to tell a way better story.